The 2nd Farmer - Cover

The 2nd Farmer

Copyright© 2023 by Adam.F

Chapter 5

Jack had camped along a stream in the Ouachita Mountains, and just like he did most mornings and evenings when camped along water, he got out his fishing trap, his mining pan and shovel. He would set his fish trap, then walk upstream and find a turn in the stream, here he would dig down a few feet pan for gold. While he was in school, he spent all his rainy or cold days in the library. One of his favourite books was Geology and Mineralogy by Charles T. Jackson, at first it was because it had pictures and maps. Then as he read and understood more, he realized the book was like a treasure map, the treasure was the gold found all over, and the books and maps explained how to find it.

On this day, his first pan showed him 20 or so flakes, and a small nugget. So, he continued to dig down and in full dark he had 100 or more flakes, and 15 small nuggets. As he ate his fish from the trap, he decided he was going to stay around for a little while and see where this all led. He went to sleep trying to plan out the logistics of staying and not being seen. When he woke up the next morning, he had the start of a plan.

So, he moved his camp to the opposite side of the creek behind a little rock outcropping with a small meadow where Shadow could graze, after hobbling his horse he moved his things close to the rocks where a small stand of Post Oaks allowed him to stretch a tarp across a wide area. Under this he set up his tent and cooking ring. Gathered wood and dug a pit for his latrine. It was headed into late afternoon when he headed back to the water.

The first thing to do was to try and track the gold. Heavier gold didn’t travel as far. So, he would dig down a few feet, take a few pans and if it showed anything. He’d move upstream 100’ and repeat the process. After a week of doing this, he found some larger nuggets, and when he moved past, he only got some small flakes. When he came back to the large nugget area he kept working and looking around, there were many small dry streambeds that entered the creek, so he took a day and decided to check the dry beds around the large nuggets. So, he brought his large cooking pot to fill up and sampled each of the beds. On his eighth small dry stream bed there was a nugget the size of his thumb in the pan when he panned it plus a bunch of small flakes. He followed it up to the side of the rocky hill, and there was a quartz seam layered with sparkly stuff. He’d found the vein.

After 6 weeks of digging Jack had a significant amount of gold, and no way to transport it. Unrefined gold is heavy and bulky, he knew that you could melt gold but didn’t know how, he’d experimented with some of the nuggets and his evening fire, where he was able to get a few nuggets to soften and merge but nothing much and didn’t know what he’d need to do. But he knew someone had probably written a book about the process. Or he’d need someone that worked with metal.

He had his family money, his $10 Gold piece, and he put together a poke of small nuggets in an obviously Indian made pouch. Saddled up and headed for the closest town, present day Hot Springs Arkansas. When he rode into town he could hear the rhythmic clanging of the blacksmith, he rode directly up to his shop and dismounted. The Smith paused and wiped his hand on his apron, he stuck out his hand, “how can I help you sir?”

“Was wondering if you could check Shadow’s shoes and see what he might need.”

“That’s what I’m here for, I can do it for $3.00, it will take me about 2 hours,” the Smith replied.

I nodded, and then headed over to the Mercantile to have a look around. As I was looking around, I noticed he had some small cast iron bread pans. I asked the owner what they were for. He explained that the company was trying to sell them to travellers, and started to list all of the things you could cook with them, as my attention started to fade, he said’ “hell I’ve heard some folks are using them to melt gold into, if you can believe it.”

I responded with, “the little poke I traded for, isn’t big enough to want to do that, but I like the thought of cooking smaller things individually.” So, I picked up an entire set of cast iron cookware and bought 10 of the little bread pans. At this point I realized this was going to be too much weight for Shadow to carry himself. I paid the owner with my nuggets, and he was happy to buy the excess I had as well, so I walked out with $130 in gold pieces. He tried to give me paper money, but I told him I was afraid rats would eat it. That gave him a good chuckle.

I headed down the street to the stable, and as I glanced around, I noticed the odd looks I was being given. The hosteler met me at the door and asked how he could help, “I told him I need a pack animal or 2.” He took me to the other side of the barn and there stood two of the biggest damn mules I had ever seen. I started laughing and slapped his hat on his leg when he saw my reaction, hell even the mules started braying like they were laughing at me as well.

I looked them over and said, “they’re incredible and I’d love to have one, but how much would one cost?” They both had come close and were sniffing me, one was rubbing his head on my chest.

He looked at me for a minute, looked at the mules and said, “what do you think boys?” They both shook their heads up and down and started running around the pen kicking and snorting with excitement. “Well, I guess they like you.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.