The Wolf Man and the Wheelchair - Cover

The Wolf Man and the Wheelchair

by Departed Soul

Copyright© 2023 by Departed Soul

Romantic Story: A young wolf "adopts" a young man and follows him through part of his life.

Tags: Ma/Fa   Romantic   Heterosexual   Fiction  

Hi, My name is Stella. I hope you will take a few minutes to listen to my story. It starts like this:

Every Sunday, weather permitting, you can find Mike Phillips and his dad Mike Senior under the hood of a car, or under the car. Mike’s mom, Alice, said if anything happened to either of them, the only way she could identify them was by the butt in the jeans. Mike Senior worked as a mechanic, so Junior was born with cars in his blood.

That’s the way it was until that day in November when Mike Junior went off to the Navy. Most of the town was there for the send-off, including the Mayor. The town was cheering and waving, waving banners, and American Flags. Alice, well she was there, with tissue in hand, collecting her mixed tears. Some pride, some for missing Mike already.

During his time, Mike would stay in close touch with his dad. Mike had his eye on an acre and a half of land by a wooded area owned by the county. When He had sent enough money home, his dad bought the parcel and titled it in his name. When Mike returned, he would transfer the title to his son.

Mike Junior sent home the plans for his home. It wasn’t big, just three rooms. A getaway if you will. Dad would send pictures showing his son the progress of his house. Mom always encloses a letter. Well, someone has to remind you to brush your teeth and wash them behind your ears.

Five years and four months later, Mike sends his letter home telling his parents he is being discharged in three weeks. He said he should be home within the month. Dad was jumping for joy, and Mom, well you would think she was an expectant mother. Fresh curtains, and bed linens. Hot water and vinegar to clean the windows, well you can imagine the rest.

Mike came home to a proud town. Especially mom and dad. Sally, his best friend in high school, ran up and jumped in his arms. The Pastor at the Church held a social for Mike’s return. Mike’s buddies had a homecoming for him at Uncle Louie’s, the town bar. Their hero was home safe and sound.

Mike and his dad went back to their favorite pastime, car mechanics. Mike would go out to his house several times a week. He was taking furniture and other items he bought from the local shops and church organizations. After three weeks, Mike moved into his house.

He would sit on the porch with his coffee in the early morning, and just listen to the woods wake up. One spring morning, the was a yelping sound coming from the edge of the woods. Mike thought it sounded like an animal in distress.

He went to investigate. There entwined in a snare was a wolf pup crying for help. Momma was not far away. She was watching Mike’s every move. Mike went back to the house to get some wire cutters and other tools he may need and some bologna to distract the pup.

As he was trying to free the pup, the pup would snap at him and growl like a big wolf. He put the bologna in front of the pup, that was enough to keep him busy. Mike used the cutters to free the pup’s leg, then wrapped it in a gauze bandage. The pup went limping to momma.

The female stood there looking at Mike for a while, turned to leave, then turned to look at Mike again. Mike didn’t stand up at first. He sat on his heels and waved at the two beautiful animals. In what seemed to be a gesture of gratitude, the female wagged her tail slightly. The wolves and Mike headed home.

Four days went by since freeing the pup and Mike was walking onto his porch for his morning coffee. As he was shutting the door he stopped. When he looked over his shoulder, the wolf pup was sitting there looking at him. Mike smiled at the sight and sat down. If he wants to get closer, he will. After about fifteen minutes, the pup went back to the woods. Mike waved.

“Goodbye, Little Wolf.”

Every two days or so, the pup would return, only he would be a bit closer to Mike.

“Good morning, Little Wolf.” And Mike would drink his coffee. It seemed that the pup was staying a little longer with each visit.

“Goodbye, Little Wolf.”

Mike would go into town to run his errands. He would stop by and see his mom, they would chat. Of course, he had to stop by his dad’s job and kibitz on the problem the car was giving its owner.

After one afternoon in town, when Mike got home, the pup was sitting even closer than before. Mike was happy to see his neighbor. Maybe tomorrow morning, I will try something different.

The following morning, Mike went out on the porch, but he didn’t sit in his chair. He placed his cup on the porch floor and walked about ten paces from the porch. There he placed a saucer and put some milk in it. He walked back to the porch but didn’t sit in his chair. He sat on the deck and waited to see what the pup would do.

The pup finally came up to drink the milk. Every day he would come to Mike’s house, Mike would move the saucer closer to the porch. Within a couple of weeks, the pup would come on the porch for his saucer of milk.

Little Wolf would come to the house and follow Mike around like a house pup. Mike thought he’d take a chance and see how Little Wolf would react to being in his truck. Mike opened the passenger door, Little Wolf looked at it apprehensively. But he walked away. For the following week, Mike would open the door, Little Wolf would stretch his neck and sniff. He wasn’t sure about this big object. Then Mike got an idea.

Mike left the door open, walked around to the driver’s side, and got behind the wheel.

“Wanna go for a ride Little Wolf?” then Mike gently patted the seat.

Little Wolf tried to get in but just couldn’t get enough lift to jump in the truck. Mike got out of the truck and walked around to the other side of the truck. He knelt next to the pup and lifted him slowly into the seat. Mike left the door open for the pup and got behind the wheel again. Little Wolf curled up on the seat. Mike reached over to the pup and quietly closed the door. Little Wolf watched every move. When the door was shut, he laid down again.

Mike started the truck, and the pup looked up, but the noise didn’t seem to bother him. When Mike started moving the truck, Little Wolf looked up and started looking around. He was scared. Mike put his hand on the pup, and he settled back into the car seat.

The trial and error went on for a couple of weeks. It worked out very well. Mike decided to take Little Wolf to visit his mom and dad. When he pulled into their driveway, he opened the door and let Little Wolf out. The pup stood next to Mike looking around sheepishly and sniffing the air.

Dad wiped his hands and smiled, “Who is your buddy?”

“This is Little Wolf. We became friends after I cut him loose from a snare. This is his first road trip.”

Dad called to Alice, “Hey Honey, we got company. Mike has a companion.”

When Alice came to the back door, she stopped. “Michael, is that a wolf?”

“Not just any wolf Mom, this is Little Wolf.”

From then on, when Mike and Little Wolf came to visit, Mom always had a treat for the pup. When Mike let him out of the truck, he would go to his dad and wag his tail, then go to the back door of the house. He would sit down, and bark once. Then Mom came out with his treat.

One Sunday, Sally was at the house. Little Wolf got out of the truck and went over to Dad, but then he saw Sally. He walked toward her sniffing at her. Sally sat on her heels and put her hand out. He cautiously sniffed her hand, gave it a quick lick then headed for the back door.

When Little Wolf came by the house, Mike took him everywhere. The townspeople began calling Mike, Wolf Man, not in a malicious way. They got to know Little Wolf and he got to know them. If Mike went into a store, the pup would curl up outside or go off to do wolf stuff.

Mike was walking out of the drugstore when he saw Sally. He could tell she had been crying. Mike ran over to his best friend to find out what was wrong.

“Mike, you know I lost my uncle Conway about three years ago. Aunt Martha never got over his passing. Two days ago. Aunt Martha and Stella, my cousin, were coming back from the big city. A car crossed the median and hit them head-on.”

Sally continued, “Aunt Martha was dead at the scene, and Stella was taken to Benton Hospital in the city. She is being released tomorrow. She has lost the use of her legs. She knows her mom was killed, and she has been told about her situation. She is severely depressed. She is coming to live with us.

A commotion started and they all turned to see what was happening. A middle-aged man was beating and insulting an older man. Little Wolf came out of nowhere and knocked the attacker down. He stood in front of the old man, growling at the attacker. Mike was there in a second.

“Are you all right, sir? Are you injured?”

The old man turned to look at Mike. “That is your wolf?” he asked.

“Well, in a way, we’re buddies of a sort. I cut him out a snare about two years ago and we just kind of became friends. I hope he didn’t hurt you. He’s never done anything like this before. I take full responsibility,”

The old man looked at me. After a moment he spoke, “My grandfather had told me about people like you. You understand some carry the souls of our Ancestors. My grandfather would call you “Wolf Adadoda” It is Tsalagi meaning Wolf Father. I am in your debt, my friend.

The following day was Sunday. Mike went to Church with his parents, Mom did a little persuading. The Reverend always had a good sermon about helping others. He was very big on people being a community of one.

With the Service over, Mike was going to his truck. Little Wolf was lying next to it. On the way, he saw Sally with a lady in a wheelchair. He didn’t know the lady but was sure it was Sally’s cousin. He walked over to introduce himself.

“Good morning, Sally. How are you ladies doing? The girl in the wheelchair turned to look at Mike. She said good morning, smiling. She was shy. But Mike was intrigued by her.

Sally said, “Good morning, Mike, I’m fine. This is my cousin, Stella. Stella Stratford, this is Mike Phillips.”

Stella smiled at Mike, “I’m pleased to meet you. I understand you have a new title in town.”

It was right then; that Little Wolf joined the group. He sat right next to Stella.

“Well, isn’t this a fine howdy-do? Upstaged by my buddy. And I guess you want me to walk the ladies to their car? “Little Wolf whimpered and then gave out a short bark.

“Well, I’ve been put in my place. Sally, may I?”

“Absolutely,” Sally said with a wide smile.

When they reached Sally’s car, Mike opened the door but wasn’t sure how to help Stella into the car. He looked at Sally for help.

“Mike, she has to do it herself.”

Once Stella was in the car, Mike said goodbye to her. He walked Sally to the driver’s side and opened her door. As he always had since high school, he kissed Sally on her cheek. When she got in the car, she rolled the window down.

“How stupid did I look?”

“Not at all Mike. We’re all learning. Especially Stella. She is having a rough time, but I think she likes you. It was the way she giggled when you didn’t know what to do to help her in the car.”

“Can I see her again?”

“Hey Stella, Mike wants to take you out. What do you think?”

“Sally!”, Mike piped up, “What are you doing?”

“Do you two want to go on a date or not?” Sally was talking in a very loud tone.

“Yes, I would like –”

“Good, here’s her phone number. When you decide to stop blabbing and start asking, call.”

Sally drove off and Stella turned to look out the back window.

“Well Little Wolf, can I drive you home?”

Tuesday Mike was back in town. Little Wolf was doing wolf things, so Mike was on his own. He went straight to his friend Ed. Ed had physical therapy practice. When Mike walked in, Ed was just finishing with a patient.

“Hey Wolf Man, how’s it going? What can do for you? Are you hurt?”

“No, Ed. How would you like free mechanical work on your vehicles for the rest of your life? You, Karen, your mom and dad, in-laws all your kids, cousins –”

“Woah! Mike hit the binders. What’s up?”

“I want you to show me what life is like if I can’t use my legs. Like I am destined to be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.”

“I’ll tell you now, Wolf Man, it’s not an easy life. Just changing chairs is a chore. Why do you want to do this – wait a minute. Stella?”

“Yeah, Ed. I’m nuts about her. I looked like a damn fool Sunday when I walked her to the car. I opened the door for her. Then I stood there looking like a damn idiot. I was so pissed off at myself, and I still am. Ya gotta help me, Ed. I think I love this girl.”

“Can you be here Tuesdays through Thursdays at four?”

“Anything!”

Tuesday Mike was at Ed’s ready for anything. He didn’t care if he pulled every muscle or broke every bone in his body. He wanted to understand Stella’s life. When he walked into the gym, Ed had a sweatshirt with “Wolf Man” on the back.

“Are you ready Wolf Man? This is going to be a different world for you. I still have trouble understanding life in a wheelchair. Here we go.”

For two straight hours, Ed put Mike through the rigors of wheelchair life. Every time Mike messed up, he got madder and madder. Ed told him that was only one aspect of wheelchair life. The trials and the failures. But you must conquer it.

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.