Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 9

“The situation in Rachtelin is, as you predicted, a stalemate,” the dark figure informed the enthroned one.

“What of the champion of Colanthus?” the enthroned one hissed back.

“Missing, presumed dead.”

“Do we know how?”

“We have few assets available to us in that country,” the dark figure replied. “All Human, all less than adequate.”

“Yes, that agent of the weak goddess has wreaked havoc upon the scales we sent there.”

“We can still influence the Human kingdoms to the north and east of Rachtelin.”

“Pointless in a stalemate,” the enthroned one replied thoughtfully. “Try to hold them in check until one or other faction becomes dominant, then have them support the weaker side.”

“As you command.”


Erren and Darras were enjoying a peaceful lunch when Erren informed Darras they would be receiving visitors.

“Friend, foe, or pest?” Darras enquired with a slight smile.

“Serulon ... so, a pest,” Erren giggled.

“Probably about Colanthus.”

“More than likely,” Erren agreed. “Now eat up; she’ll appear when we’re done.”

“Thank you, my love.”

The pair ate, cleared, and cleaned the plates before returning to the pergola on the lawn, where Erren met unexpected and unwanted visitors. Erren typically restricted those types of gods who arrived to the standard five Human senses to prevent them from being nosey and intruding upon the paradise she maintained for herself and Darras.

“Sister,” Erren greeted the woman, who simply phased into the lawn to stare at Darras and herself. “What brings you here?”

“The slaying of Lord Starak and no doubt your pathetic excuses in setting your dog upon him,” Serulon replied calmly. “As the anointed of Colanthus, he was a priest.”

“He drew his weapon first,” Darras replied. “Somewhat foolish of him, but he was mistakenly convinced he was invincible.”

“Only because you slew his magic user!”

“Whom no doubt would have tried to kill me if he had seen me first,” Darras chuckled grimly. “Plus, the man was no priest, hence simply an enemy combatant.”

“And mass murderer,” Erren added with malice aforethought. “Same as Starak.”

“Colanthus brought the claim,” Serulon replied. “It had to be answered.”

“Ah, I wondered at your calmness, sister,” Erren nodded. “It appears you no more believe our brother than most of our brothers and sisters would.”

“I am not permitted to comment or take sides; you know that sister,” Serulon replied, obliquely answering Erren’s statement.

“Colanthus is meddling in the civil war in Rachtelin, favouring one side over the other in a direct contradiction to his mandate,” Erren added. “He also had Starak deliberately target noncombatants in a direct violation of the laws of war both sides are supposed to uphold.”

“Ah, I see,” Serulon nodded. “Yes, the majority are followers of you ... primarily and fall under the tenets in your book.”

“Hence my setting of Darras upon the chosen of Colanthus,” Erren replied with a grim, satisfied smile.

“I will report your answer to Colanthus.”

“Do so, please.”

“Nor do I see anything worthy of being reported to the Allfather,” Serulon added. “Indeed, well played.”

“Thank you, sister,” Erren replied, graciously nodding her head slightly. “Care for some wine?”

“You know I cannot.”

“It’s not a bribe, nor am I seeking influence, simply an offer to a guest.”

“My thanks, but sadly I dare not,” Serulon politely turned Erren down before fading away.

“I think you have our enemies ... somewhat confounded by what you are prepared to do in the name of your cause and mandate,” Darras stated into the comfortable silence.

“For now, I’m fairly sure they will come up with some counters,” Erren replied thoughtfully. “It means our friends will be involved.”

“They have stepped up when asked.”

“Yes, though we may need to ask more of them,” Erren nodded.

“Is this why you freed Demala from her contract?”

“Yes, whilst very talented, Tranen, her ex-master, is an Elven supremacist, though Demala was not of that view,” Erren explained. “Tranen hated the decision of Leandomus to appoint Demala to the Royal Scouts as a team magic user and refused to train Demala afterwards properly.”

“I assume she was getting direction from somewhere?” Darras enquired.

“Quinall, Annos’ master, helped her, though he does not know fire symbolism,” Erren added. “He improved her other knowledge, though, which enabled the spells she did use.”

“I look forward to seeing what she’s really capable of one day,” Darras nodded.

“Fire magic and forests normally are not a good mix,” Erren replied. “However, there will be missions where I foresee it being a major advantage.”

“How goes the fighting?”

“Your warnings enabled Rigilo’s forces to be in the field and not be trapped. Coolos still stands, and with Starak’s death, the people there can support the Barony with food and supplies as their knights deal with Cranagh’s invasions.”

“I take it that the areas occupied by Cranagh’s forces resist?”

“Passively for now,” Erren replied. “The Baron instructed the various mayors on what to do to keep their people safe.”

“No forced conscription?

“No, not as yet, possibly unlikely as Cranagh’s troops are not holding the ground they initially took terribly well.”

“Ah, the mounted archers?”

“Yes, their speed and numbers mean Cranagh’s forces are constantly on the defensive and usually in armed camps rather than patrolling.”

“No pitched battles?”

“Not yet; both sides are getting a feel for each other,” Erren replied thoughtfully.

“Any thoughts on what either side will do?” Darras asked.

“Rigilo will stand on the defensive, I believe,” Erren mused. “Currently, his forces are more outnumbered in knights and men at arms.”

“Wise for the moment, but standing on the defensive won’t win him the war,” Darras nodded. “Anything I can do to help?”

“No, you dealt with Starak and alleviated the pressure on Coolos,” Erren replied. “I have another task for you in Golsten.”

“Say on, my love,” Darras replied with a smile.

“As I believe my brother, the dark lord’s agent is a first one, there’s a place I need you to investigate,” Erren informed Darras. “The locals call it the last tower of darkness as it’s on the border of what is known as the Deadlands.”

“Sounds somewhat ominous,” Darras replied. What happened?”

“It’s where the final battle of the first ones occurred. There’s a lot of wild magic and a treasure trove of magical articles in the various ruins. But mostly, it’s a desert with a large active volcano in the centre,”

“I take it obtaining any magical articles is fraught with danger?” Darras asked.

“Oh yes,” Erren smiled. “Both getting and using.”

“Will I need help?”

“Mirion will be helping you,” Erren replied. “You’ll have to use the gateway in Veluth in the kingdom of Lamdri, an Elven realm with delusions of Elven superiority, though not generally hostile.”

“Ah, I take it Mirion will vouch for me?”

“Yes, though expect to be generally ignored or overlooked,” Erren sighed. “They do follow my book, though they have generally twisted it to permit their view of Elves being superior to all.”

“Not worthy of a smackdown?”

“Not yet, the new Land King of Lamdri, Dillith, seems promising and might bring about reform,” Erren replied. “Time will tell, and it’s not like they have any real bothersome neighbours to cause trouble with.”

“All Elves and desert?”

“Yes, Lamdri abuts what the Elves around there call the spine of the world; there are no usable crossings to the east from the realm.”

“What’s on the other side,” a curious Darras asked.

“Orcs and Humans, in the way of the Orcrul and Kingdom of Kernush.”

“I take it they keep each other occupied?” Darras chuckled.

“Yes, though the river dividing their two lands is not easy to cross, and so the Humans, mostly, just keep a watch on the border via watchtowers.”

“Smart of them,” Darras chuckled.

“Very, though there is some trade, not much though.”


“Greetings, Darras,” Mirion hailed Darras after he finally emerged from the gateway house maintained by the Elves of Veluth.

“Greetings, my friend,” Darras replied. “You’d almost think they didn’t want me here,” Darras chuckled.

“They don’t,” Mirion shrugged. “Fortunately, you brought various medicines and healing agents required by the guild here.”

“Yes, the list you supplied was extensive ... as well as mostly only available from Human kingdoms.”

“Yes, quite deliberate,” Mirion nodded. “Though sadly, we’re going to have to camp outside the town; no one will supply you with food and board here.”

“Yes, Erren explained why,” Darras replied.

“Good, they are even somewhat snobbish with me,” Mirion smiled. “Thought at least, in their eyes, I’m the right race.”

“Have you picked a site?”

“No, for all, I’m of the woodland folk; I’ve never lived outside a city until recently.”

“Recently being our adventures?” Darras chuckled.

“Oh yes.”

“Hope you don’t mind?”

“No, I was comfortable enough and not in any danger.”

“Can’t promise that for this one, I’m afraid,” Darras replied.

“I know; I did some research; the tower is generally avoided as it’s a lair for all sorts of fell creatures,” Mirion informed Darras.

“Hopefully, nothing we can’t handle,” Darras nodded.

“Let’s hope so,” Mirion agreed, leading the way out of Veluth and the staring eyes of the Elven folk residing there.

Unlike the Elven nations of the Western continent, no roads were constructed. All there were, were well-used trails suitable for foot or mounted travel, not carts or wagons. Darras and Mirion followed one that led southwesterly until the sun reached its highest, and Darras suggested a break.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.