Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 8

Starak observed the approach to the woods carefully, the number of his men struck down by arrows was concerning, but he felt the knights and men at arms could attempt a rush to the forest’s edge, dismount and then advance, using the trees and their shields for cover.

“They have at least one fire magic user, Lord Starak,” his aide informed him. “They haven’t used anything powerful though.”

“Probably because the local Dryad will deal with them if they do,” Starak replied. “Ensure the men know that any attempt to burn these bandits out will provoke a response from the forest folk, one they most assuredly won’t like.”

“Surely, there can’t be more than half a dozen of them?”

“Even so, they have chosen a good position; complacency will get the men killed,” Starak observed, feeling the power of his god stirring within him. “Relay the orders; we’ll go when they’re mounted and ready.”

“You were right, Darras,” Firios observed, using his better vision. “They’re going to rush us and hope to get in amongst us at the edge of the forest.”

“Normally a good plan,” Darras replied. “Unfortunately for them, we won’t be there.”

“No, we won’t,” Firios agreed with a fierce smile.

“One shot aimed at the middle distance when I blow the whistle, and then move to the assigned positions and begin the hunt,”

“Yes, Darras,” Firios replied, then slipped away.

Balat is in position with the villagers, ’ Erren informed Darras.

“Good, hope he can protect them.”

I believe he can; Doriel has trained him well.

Darras did not reply but was now focused on the distant knights, gauging the distances involved and preparing to blow the ‘silent’ whistle only the Elves could hear. At the precise point the charging knights reached the centre ground; Darras blew the whistle long and hard and slipped down the tree to move deep into the forest.

On hearing the whistle, the Elves loosed three arrows held to their bows and sent them soaring over the forward edge of the woods to land in and amongst the charging knights, causing a few casualties, though not too many.

Starak considered the situation when he reached the forest’s edge. The enemy had not reacted as he’d thought they would, nor were they to be found. Still, at least they had reached the trees and could now advance under cover.

“Men at arms with shields to the front, knights advance behind and move fast to engage any enemies!” Starak bellowed out, his disciplined men moving swiftly to obey.

The advance began, and although tensions were high, they became slightly more relaxed the deeper the knights penetrated the woods. This immediately changed as a lone arrow hissed from out of the forest to take one of the men at arms down with an arrow through his eye. This caused a dash forward to catch the archer in position or flush them out. Only there was no sign of an archer when the men at arms and knights reached the area they thought had to contain an archer. Starak and his men still needed to realise they were dealing with Elves who could accurately fire a bow from twenty metres further than the area they searched. Nor did they spot any tracks.

Other arrows would hiss out of the forest to strike a man, though as yet, Starak saw no need to worry at the pinprick attacks. “Can you detect them?” he asked his magic user.

“Occasionally, though their magic user clouds my vision,” the man replied. “They appear to be following the stream, but that’s all I can tell you for now.”

“Pick up the pace; follow the stream!” Starak bellowed out an order.

They have taken the bait, ’ Erren warned Darras.

“Good,” Darras murmured, then blew out three blasts on the silent whistle. “Let Balat know, please.”

Done.

Darras picked up the pace, leaving a deliberate trail to the planned site of the ambush. Once there, he realised the forest folk had given aid by creating rock slides to block either end, and Osruit’s people had raised the water levels directly into the slopes to prevent anyone from quickly climbing them.

“Far more than I expected,” Darras murmured as a rope came down to haul him up a steep rock outcropping.

Doriel and Osruit’s people collaborated as for all they support the cause, they rarely get to participate in victories, ’ Erren explained.

“Glad they did,” Darras replied as he spotted Traskis.

“All is in place, my friend,” Traskis greeted Darras.

“So I see; all we have to do is draw them in,” Darras nodded.

“Firios, Tinara and Demala with see to that,” Traskis informed Darras. “Balat and the Humans also surround the valley and will strike when the signal comes.”

“Should be enough, though we may not get them all,” Darras mused. “Starak, however, must be killed; he’s too dangerous to be allowed out to lead their armies.”

“It shall be as you command, Darras,” Traskis agreed before moving to a prepared position.

Several minutes later, the men at arms and knights pushed into the valley and came under attack from the three Elves with a constant stream of arrows peppering their front ranks. Starak’s men immediately took the bait dangled as they finally thought they could close with their attackers and surged forward without actually checking their surroundings.

Starak, under the influence of Colanthus, did and bellowed out a command to fall back, only for the trap to spring with two landslides at either end of the valley, the one closest collapsing onto the rear of his party. This was the signal for several arrows to be fired into his shocked knights causing several to fall and inducing a state of panic over the rest as they realised they were trapped unless they could scale the steep slopes on either side of the valley. This they attempted to do, only to find the ground slippery and muddy as the weight of their arms and armour made it almost impossible to climb.

“Men at arms! Use your bows if you have them! Knights! Shield wall!” Starak bellowed out orders as several more men fell.

“Lord, we are trapped,” His magic user hissed. “I can get us alone out, but this battle is lost.”

“Pah! If we can ascend the slopes, we can defeat them,” Starak snarled, ignoring common sense for the moment.

“Do not be foolish; they are expecting this,” the magic user pointed out a boulder being rolled down on the increasingly desperate men crashing through the shield wall and felling several in its path.”

“Damn them! I’ll burn their villages to the ground and poison their wells for this; get me out of here!”

The magic user scored several symbols into the ground, then chanted out a command before a bright flash ensued, and Starak found himself and the magic user back down the trail they’d followed into the valley.

“Well done, now we must hurry as they assuredly saw that,” Starak grimaced, only for the magic user to collapse with an arrow sticking out from his back.

“Come out and face me, coward!” an increasingly desperate Starak yelled.

“If you insist,” Darras called back, stepping into view.

“My congratulations on a well-planned ambush,” Starak spat out.

“Your actions merited a response, scion of Colanthus,” Darras replied.

“You ... you know what I am?”

“Of course, brilliant tactician, murderous brute, fairly obvious, really,” Darras stated. “Though my goddess Erren pointed you out for direct action.”

“Ah, the agent of the goddess, now I understand,” Starak snarled, calming a little and drawing his sword. “Your death will satisfy my god!”

“You presume much,” Darras chuckled, drawing his blade.

Be careful, my love; Colanthus will have enhanced his reactions and skill, ’ Erren warned.

“Still won’t be as good as you are,” Darras murmured, then advanced.

True.

The two men parried several blows as they each sought to gain an impression of the skill of the other before Starak took the initiative and swung several speedy yet powerful blows at Darras, who deflected them easily.

“You’re stronger than you look,” Starak sneered. “Won’t save you, though.”

Darras said nothing, simply parrying and dodging the various thrusts and swings coming his way and trying to get a handle on Starak’s style, which, though seemingly wild, clearly had some skill and intent behind it. It was also evident that Darras’s silence irritated Starak, though not to the extent of recklessness ... as yet. Still, as the fight went on, Darras began to defend less and attack more, placing Starak on the defensive and finally getting a blow, which, whilst not disabling Starak, hurt the man.

“Damn you!” Starak almost screamed and went seemingly berserk.

Careful, he’s up to something, ’ Erren warned.

Darras moved back on the defensive but noticed Starak’s blows were becoming more powerful and faster. Then, Darras noticed Starak’s eyes were now glowing red, with both hate and malevolence, as Colanthus took over his body in a clear breach of the gods’ rules. Still, Darras moved onto the attack again Despite Starak, now being totally under the control of Colanthus, parrying and dodging the various moves Darras made.

“You shall die, agent of Erren, and I will destroy this land,” The voice of Colanthus came from Starak’s throat.

“You think possessing that body will be overlooked?” Darras gasped out as exhaustion became a factor.

“Hah! A mere reprimand at most.”

“Really? Guess I’ll just have to kill you then,” Darras laughed in the god’s face.

Darras then began a series of moves, thrusts and swings, using his reserves like Erren had once used on him. This concealed a final blow that would fell Starak, though Darras already knew Colanthus was expecting it. It was when Colanthus used his godly reactions to move his sword to parry what he thought would be the final blow, leading to a backslash that would gut Darras, that Darras changed the slash to a thrust, piercing Starak’s armour and slicing into his heart.

‘No, impossible!” Colanthus hissed out as Starak’s body fell, leaving the spirit of the god exposed to Darras’s eyes.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.