Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 7

Once at Nirith, Darras made his way to the home of the Acolyte representing those who worshipped Erren, a middle-aged woman with the same joy of life Kina had.

“Yes, I had the vision, though our funds are not great, unlike the temples on the continent of Keelem,” she confessed.

“Funds are underway from the temples there,” Darras replied with the information Erren had given him. “All Erren asks is you do your best.”

“We shall. It’s a worthy task, though other than helping a few escapees, we have been unable to do much.”

“I have noted your efforts, and your soul enhanced in my sight,” the voice of Erren came from Darras, both shocking and delighting the woman.

“My Goddess, thank you,” the woman replied.

“My blessings upon you, Erresmina,” Erren spoke a blessing upon the woman who looked overjoyed.

“Again, my thanks, my goddess.”


“Welcome back, my love,” Erren greeted Darras as he appeared on her lawn.

“It went well, though I suspect it was merely a distraction,” Darras replied.

“Not so sure. You took out twelve shadows, which won’t sit well with my brother,” Erren noted thoughtfully.

“Would have been far more difficult if they’d released the Elves,” Darras nodded thoughtfully. “Then again, they needed to hold them to cause trouble.”

“They would,” Erren agreed. “Now come, bathe, eat and rest. We’ll have a visitor later.”

“Anyone I know?”

“Serulon.”

“Wonder what she wants?” Darras mused as he stepped into the pool.

“I don’t know,” Erren shrugged as she got in and scrubbed Darras with a sponge.

“Can’t recall anything I’ve been involved with to give her concerns either,” Darras replied.

We’ll find out soon, but not until you’re fed and rested.”


Darras finally awoke in the luxurious bed he shared with Erren feeling fully refreshed. Slipping on the comfortable robe and footwear, he went down to the dining area, where he could hear Erren singing softly as the waft of a delicious breakfast assailed his nostrils.

“Good morning, my love,” Erren greeted him. “Sit yourself. Your timing is perfect.”

“My timing?” Darras enquired with a chuckle.

“This time, yes,” Erren replied with a smile bringing two plates full of food over. “Now eat. Serulon will be here when we’ve finished.”

Darras tucked into the sausage, bacon, eggs and flat potato cakes Erren had served up. They also enjoyed a hot tea-like drink until he’d eaten his fill. The pair then washed up and put away the crockery before strolling to the lawn to greet their guest.

As soon as they had sat under the pergola, Serulon appeared and approached them, looking as stern as ever.

“Sister, you’re looking well,” Erren greeted her fellow goddess.

“Cut the niceties. Our brother has laid a complaint against you,” Serulon replied.

“It costs nothing to be polite,” Erren chided her. “Now, what is he claiming I’ve done now?”

“The killing of his priesthood.”

“What priesthood is he referring to? Darras has not harmed any of his priests or acolytes.”

“He claims these shadows are his priests!”

“They aren’t. Otherwise, they would not be permitted to possess anyone,” Erren replied indifferently.

“He claims that is simply their nature, a natural effect of their being.”

“You don’t believe that any more than I do, sister,” Erren chuckled. “They do not give off the signature of an anointed priest. Therefore, they are not priests.”

“He claims this is because, as ethereal beings, he cannot anoint them.”

“Oh dear, what a pity, never mind,” Erren mocked. “I suggest you tell him to find a way.”

“So, you intend to carry on with this ... vendetta against his followers?”

“In so much as he possesses my followers and forces them to commit acts unnatural to their nature, yes.”

“I will so inform the Allfather.”

“Good. Perhaps Dad will have a word with him to return to his remit.”

“You know he will not interfere with petty squabbles!” Serulon more or less bitched.

“So, why bother coming here to tell me about his ludicrous claims?” Erren asked. “You know fine and well that Dad won’t interfere in petty disputes.”

“Colanthus and Darmela back up his claim. That means I have to bring it to you.”

“Petty claims from a petty-minded set of gods,” Erren chuckled. “You’ll have noticed the group I represent have not bothered to make any claims, despite the actions of Darmela against my priesthood.”

“I am still at a loss as to why not,” Serulon confessed.

“I intend to cause her far more grief than a reprimand from you ... or Dad would, assuming he could be bothered.”

“Your lack of respect for the Allfather grates at times, sister,” Serulon groused.

“It’s the same amount of respect I get in return,” Erren chuckled. “Are we finished now?”

“It appears so,” Serulon nodded. “You intend to be intransigent.”

“I do, as does our brother, no doubt.”

“I will take the complaint to the Allfather,” Serulon noted. “Though I suspect he will dismiss it as being petty.”

“You can tell Dad my brother’s side started it, not me.”

“And if he orders both sides to cease?”

“He never has before. I doubt he’ll start now,” Erren shrugged.

Serulon gave no reply, simply fading away.

“Wonder what that was about?” Darras mused. “I can’t imagine a complaint like that will produce a response.”

“I suspect he’s laying the ground for a litany of them to produce an intervention by Dad,” Erren replied thoughtfully.

“Will that work?”

“Depends on the complaints laid, though I suspect it’s simply delaying tactics.”

“No doubt we’ll find out in due course.”

“No doubt.”


“We have lost contact with the scales goading the primitive Elves towards Crusal,” the dark figure informed the enthroned one.

“Annoying, but no doubt it kept him away from the events in Rachtelin,” the enthroned one hissed.

“Unfortunately, our agents report that the enemies of the King’s Council were not as surprised as the Council hoped.”

“A stalemate?”

“So far, though, the forces of the King’s Council lost more men than anticipated.”

“Continue to channel funds to them. Even if they lose, the Kingdom will be bankrupt and unable to interfere elsewhere.”

“It shall be as you desire.”


“I have a mission for you in Rachtelin,” Erren informed Darras.

“Yes, my love?”

“Colanthus has chosen several champions, though one is supreme above the others and has caused many problems for the forces arrayed around Coolos,” Erren informed Darras. “He needs to be dealt with before he raises a body count that will affect morale.”

“Dealt with permanently?” Darras enquired.

“Yes, my love, he was a formidable warrior before Colanthus got to him. Now he’s been given knowledge of tactics and lost all compassion for anyone he deems an enemy.”

“Nasty,” Darras grimaced.

“Very. Starak’s unit has wiped out three villages after they drove out the defending forces.”

“I’ll deal with him,” Darras vowed. “Colanthus has created a monster.”

“Will you need help?”

“Yes, Firios and his team,” Darras decided. “I’ll draw them into the Saltion Forest and eliminate them there.”

“I’ve informed Harinas,” Erren replied. “All will be ready soon.”

“Good. I have no time for anyone who kills or enslaves people.”

“Talking about slaves, funds are now pouring into Asul and my temples and the priesthood there are preparing to buy and free as many Elves as they can,” Erren informed Darras.

“Just Elves?”

“For now, the number of Human slaves is almost a tenth of the country, and only a violent revolution will free them, and so far, the conditions aren’t right.”

“I understand,” Darras sighed.

“My acolytes will be able to deal with the Elven issue easily enough, but any moves to free the Humans will likely produce a violent response from the merchant class.”

“Yes, I don’t want to cause issues for your priesthood.”

“Asul will eventually pay for their crimes. I promise that, my love. Just not right now.”


Darras came through the gateway in the Saltion Forest and waited for the arrival of the Elves, watched by several nymphs and a Dryad. It didn’t take long, and soon the four appeared one after the other.

“Well met, Darras,” Firios hailed, glancing around at the observers though saying nothing.

“Well met indeed, my friend,” Darras replied as they clasped arms. “Of this mission, though, there will be scant honour.”

“Say on,” the suddenly serious-looking Firios replied.

The man I’m specifically after is Lord Starak, a champion of Colanthus,” Darras explained. “A murderous thug surrounded by well-trained murderous thugs.”

“Ah, I see,” Firios nodded as the others listened in.

“Currently, he and his men are burning, looting and raping their way through the villages around Coolos and driving the few survivors back to the town in preparation for a siege. He’s crushed those forces sent against him by superior tactics.”

“And you want to draw him into the forest and have us deal with him?” Tinara asked.

“Yes, my friends,” Darras nodded.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.