Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 6

The council of King Ferril met in the luxurious meeting room set aside for them. There was naturally no sign of the King. He hadn’t attended a meeting in years, much preferring to spend his time in various other activities away from any decisions. Yet the King himself was no fool and knew how unsuited as yet his eldest son Joffar was, though, as ever, his indecision over removing him from the line of succession had created the current crisis in the kingdom. Not that Ferril was aware of any crisis, the King’s Council ensured he was surrounded by sycophants whose primary job was flattery and keeping Ferril occupied and away from the real world.

“Are we ready?” Bansis, the Duke of Tolner, asked the group as a whole.

“Cranagh will be within a week,” Duke Cranagh stated. “Coolos will be isolated and no doubt will fall soon after as they are watching the roads, not the lake.”

“As will Miront,” Baron Mirrs added. “Though I doubt my forces can take the castle.”

“That will happen once my forces, the Royal Army, along with the forces we keep in Trasgel and Tremina, have dealt with Alvastros and Sinoris,” Bansis replied.

“What of the independents?” Earl Trasgel asked.

“If we strike quickly, they will remain neutral and face a fait-accompli,” Cranagh stated. “Rigilo will be dead, and Joffar will be King.”

“And what of the King?” Trasgel asked.

“Tonight, he will die,” Cranagh informed the Council. “Joffar will be crowned.”

“And what of the Conclave?”

“On hold due to Rigilo’s rebellion,” Cranagh sneered.

“They will accept this?” Earl Tremina asked.

“So long as we bottle up Alvastros, Miront, Sinoris and Coolos.”

“Ah, you believe they won’t act if they feel we’ll win?”

“Indeed so, they’ll choose the winning side ... ours.”

“Better hope that these rebels are unaware of our plan then,” Tremina stated.

“We have been careful, and as far as I’m aware, there has been no reaction to our careful preparations,” Cranagh replied. “I suspect it’s too late for them now, as our messengers are on their way.”

“Jumping the arrow a little, the King hasn’t ... passed away yet,” Mirrs countered.

“Trust me, he will be dead by tomorrow morning,” Cranagh sneered, there being no love lost between him and Mirrs.

“You had better be right.”


King Ferril died peacefully in his sleep, or that was the story being told. Any healer looking at the corpse would recognise all the signs of poisoning. Joffar was immediately declared King by the King’s Council, who claimed Ferril had designated him heir. This it was noted by many to appear to be in unseemly haste, though only in whispers, as the King’s Council were known to deal permanently with any open criticism.

News of the death slowly filtered out from the capital, primarily to known supporters of the King’s Council, as the plan to isolate supporters of Rigilo swung into motion. However, the King’s Council was unaware that the supporters of Rigilo were already preparing to take issue and were not unprepared.

The news reached Miront before the various messengers reached the forces of the King’s Council, a priest in service to Erren received a vision and immediately passed it on to the Earl, who then informed Rigilo. Scrying stones were then used to warn Coolos, Alvastros and Sinoris, who passed the message on to the lesser nobility in their domains. And so, the simmering tensions in Rachtelin came to the boil.


Darras had rejoined the Elves in the eastern woods, and they swiftly made their way towards the gateway, simply informing an observing woodnymph of their destination. Hence the path opened up for the party, and they were transported quickly to Erren’s home, much to the surprise of Demala, who had not been informed in advance of the reward for aiding Darras.

“Welcome, my friends, and to you, Demala,” Erren greeted them all before receiving a hug and a kiss from Darras.

“G ... goddess,” Demala squeaked out.

“Please relax,” Erren encouraged the suddenly timid Elf.

“Y ... yes.”

The group made their way to the bathing area and soon relaxed in the hot water as Erren’s magic cleaned and repaired their clothes in a few cases.

“I’m grateful for the aid you gave Darras,” Erren informed the Elves. “The information gained enabled warnings to go out to Coolos and Miront.”

“So it has started?” Darras asked.

“It has. King Ferril is dead, and Joffar declared King.”

“I suspect this will not go down well in many of the domains,” Darras noted.

“They claim Ferril declared Joffar the heir, though only the Council’s supporters appear to support this.”

“Have they dealt with the palace staff?” Firios asked. “Just that there will be some who will not be happy about this.”

“It’s ongoing, sadly. The first to die was the former King’s personal healer, followed by several priests, including one of my own,” Erren replied.

“Do they think Rigilo is unaware?” Tinara asked.

“So far, they do. The messengers sent out have not reached their forces, though Miront’s are already mustering.”

“What of the others?”

“Coolos is ready. They have observers on the hilltops on the lake shore along with beacons,” Erren replied. “Alvastros, because of its proximity to Rachtelin and recent events, kept a core set of regiments close to home at all times. Sinoris is a little slow off the mark but has more time to prepare.”

“Are the King’s Council not aware of the preparations they have been making?” Demala asked hesitantly.

“Pretty sure the plan is to bottle the various nobles opposing them up, then use a siege force to reduce them one at a time,” Darras replied. “The innovation of mounted archers means that Rigilo’s forces are more mobile, hence their tactics.

“Coolos being the main thrust of the Council’s endeavours,” Erren added.

“And if it does become a mobile war?” Demala enquired, nodding slightly.

“Rigilo will likely win,” Darras replied. “But it won’t be easy. The Kings Council has been hiring mercenary groups and training knights and building supplies for the last two years since the fall of Thenarron.”

“Expensive,” Traskis murmured thoughtfully.

“All are coming out of the nation’s pockets,” Erren replied. “Not the Council’s pockets.”

“That could leave Rachtelin impoverished even if Rigilo wins,” Firios replied.

“That will be part of my brother the dark lord’s plan,” Erren agreed. “Colanthus will plan to leave one badly wounded knight left at the war’s end to declare victory,” she finished cynically.

“And he’ll be aiding the King’s Council by enabling champions amongst their forces, plus better tactical decisions,” Erren added. “Which is where their current crop of plans likely originated.”

“Can Rigilo win easily?” Demala asked.

“Depends on many factors,” Darras replied thoughtfully. “But not initially until he’s dealt with Council’s forces in the field and secured his lines of communication.”

“What of allies?” Firios asked.

“Orcatia, Ralketh and Treen will likely try to gain territory at Rigilo’s expense if the Council can persuade them with a bribe. Thinking they can reconquer it if they lose,” Erren replied. “The Elves of Rossaris and the Elves and Humans of the Forest Kingdom will support Rigilo, though likely only with supplies. The Dwarves of Burral will likely remain neutral but try to sell to both sides, and the Lizardmen of Sthistor will ignore it, assuming they even notice.”

“It does mean that Rigilo’s forces will need to hold forces in reserve to watch those borders,” Darras added. “Same as the Council will need forces to keep an eye on Coolos, assuming it holds ... which it likely will.”

“Ah yes, I see,” Firios nodded.


“The war in Rachetelin has begun,” the dark figure informed the enthroned one.

“Somewhat foolish of the King’s Council,” the Enthroned one replied thoughtfully. “Their forces, from your reports, are insufficient to guarantee victory.”

“We have few agents remaining in that country, hence limited influence,” the dark figure explained.

“True, the agent of that goddess was far too successful in dealing with the lower-tier scales we were using.”

“Indeed so,” the dark figure agreed.

“See if we can influence some of the surrounding nations to involve themselves,” the enthroned one ordered. “A long and costly war is about the best we can hope for there.”

“It shall be as you command.”


The being known to the world as Colanthus, the god of war, sent his spirit soaring over Rachtelin, finally alighting upon a particular shining light of a mind and blessed it with his power and knowledge. Once done, he looked for others amongst the fighting forces of the King’s Council, though he found few enough. Once done, he returned to his domain and watched the war he burned for begin.


The Elves had returned home, Demala clutching a staffwand presented to her by Erren to increase her abilities with fire magic, something she was capable of, though as yet woefully untrained. Firios also had messages for Land King Leandomus detailing what was known of the Isle of Suren and the Rachtelinian encroachment on it.

“Did you and Tariel have fun?” Darras enquired.

“We did. I was able to help her healing powers become easier to use and a more natural part of her nature,” Erren replied. “Hallis also called in to assist as well.”

“How long did Tariel think she was here for?” Darras asked with a smile.

“She thought it a month, though it was only two days,” Erren replied. “It served its purpose. Gallira is now with child, though naturally unaware as yet.”

“Good, your plan worked,” Darras nodded.

“This one, yes,” Erren agreed.

“Next job?”

“Asul, there’s some interference by these shadows in the west of that country,” Erren replied.

“Slaves?” Darras asked.

“Indirectly, more to do with the reaction of the Elves in seeking revenge on the slavers and other bandits.”

“Ah, they are being driven to extremes?”

“Yes, I need you to deal with it, though not just yet,” Erren replied with a smile. “Relax and enjoy my company.”

“Of course,” Darras nodded with a smile of his own.


Darras came through the gateway in the town of Tulas in the far east of Korch. Crossed the bridge over a broad, flowing river and headed across the country towards the Krunan region. The lands around were mostly empty ... well, devoid of humanity. However, Darras could follow hunting trails for a while until they, too, petered out. The trees around Darras were giant, and it was soon evident the forest folk were here in abundance and observing him, though as ever, not interfering with him. Finally, Darras was able to cross a small stream passing between tall mountains to the north and verdant hills to the south to enter Krunan itself, where the nature of the vegetation changed to dense forestry, split only by the one trail coming up from Asul and heading north towards what the map Erren had shown him to be the Hinterlands, as well as the region, called the Elven Wold where Asulians had once hunted for slaves.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.