Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 5

The Elves had to remain in the woods as they reached the closest part to Cranagh they could. Darras walked the remaining few miles, carefully observing what activity he could see. It was pretty evident that most of those he viewed had been reduced to serfdom, and the land, though looking fertile enough, was unkempt and badly used. The town itself remained outside the castle’s walls and seemed busy with smoke from various artisan workshops to the east leading down to Lake Suren. It soon became clear that the Duke was producing weapons and armour, though it was also clear that it was not guild authorised, and many of the artisans were not from Rachtelin ... or worshippers of Pelegard.

The blacksmith guild refuses to sanction any work here, nor will supply skilled artisans, ’ Erren explained what Darras was looking at. ‘Lot of Fordelian accents too.

“And a few others,” Darras murmured as he headed to the lake.

So that’s what they are up to, ’ Erren commented as Darras saw the docks.

“Yes, looks like the plan is to ferry their army along the lake and hit Coolos by surprise that way,” Darras added. “No sign of the troops, but I doubt they’ll be far.”

Yes, keeping them fed could be an issue, having seen how badly the land is farmed here.

“I agree,” Darras replied as he found an inn and sat down to drink one of the worst ales he’d ever had, this world or his previous one.

I checked it, and it’s not poisonous, I promise, ’ Erren giggled.

“I’m glad,” Darras murmured as he and Erren listened in on various conversations from the workers who were congregated during the shift change.

It was soon apparent the workers were unhappy with the hours they were forced to work, though happy enough with their extra income. Most had been brought in from Orcatia to make the barges to be used for transport.

“No temples around,” Darras murmured.

Not in this part of town, no. Nor have I heard anything from the one in the old part of town, ’ Erren replied. ‘Guess Cranagh managed to get a priest in name only from somewhere.

“Probably a relative,” Darras guessed.

Finally, Darras managed to overhear one of the workers mentioning a completion date. He then finished his ale, left along with a few others, and went through a thoroughfare until he could slip into an alley and make his way out of the town.

Why the caution?’ Erren asked. ‘You weren’t being watched.

“I suspect they might be watching for anyone leaving,” Darras replied. “Just a hunch.”

Ah.

Darras’s suspicions were proven correct as he saw several cloaked men accost a trader leaving the town, beating him to the ground before the local guards hauled him away.

“Thought it was too easy getting in here,” he murmured.

Yes, this is definitely the influence of Colanthus, ’ Erren agreed.

“Not that smart, as they’re only watching the road,” Darras replied before making his way to the west of the town and slipping into the scrubland at the lakeshore. From there, he could quickly move unobserved back to the woods and join Demala as Firios, Traskis, and Tinara were out scouting.

“Using the lake for transport of troops and horses?” Demala asked.

“Yes, quite possible and probably unexpected,” Darras nodded. “I’ll need to visit Coolos and warn them.”

“Of course.”

At this point, Tinara slipped back into the concealed clearing the Elves had set up the small camp.

“There are small billets of troops posted along the northern highway in various villages and farms,” She informed Darras. “Not in numbers enough to strain the resources of the villages, but they are ensuring their compliance and controlling movement.”

“Seems like much careful planning,” Darras replied before informing Tinara of what was happening in Cranagh.

“Ingenious,” Tinara nodded. “Not something we Elves have any experience of.”

“I suspect they are laying up supplies elsewhere,” Darras added as Firios and Traskis returned.

“There is a lot of lake traffic all heading away from Cranagh towards the Forest Kingdom, though I doubt it’s going there,” Traskis informed Darras, who pulled out his map.

“Likely the central island,” Darras replied, pointing it out.

“Isolated,” Firios nodded. “But that’s probably the point.

“More than likely,” Darras agreed.

“There are any number of patrols out there, and the villagers are being told that it’s to root out bandits,” Firios added.

“How did you find that out?” Darras queried.

“Written on various boards in the villages.”

“Ah,” Darras nodded.

“Pretty good cover story,” Tinara opined. “Billeted troops, active patrols ensure only the story they want to be heard gets out.”

“King Leandomus will be interested to know if that island is being used,” Firios added. “It’s supposed to be neutral territory as possessing it threatens either Dorlianath or Rachtelin if occupied.”

“Certainly would give someone control of Lake Suren,” Darras agreed. “Now, let’s rest up. We have a long journey tomorrow to get me to Coolos.”


The following morning, the group keeping to the dense woods, moved swiftly west to the demesne of Coolos. Again, observed, but not interfered with by, the forest folk. The difference between Coolos and Cranagh was stark. The land was prosperous and well-maintained. There also appeared to be a great deal of trade happening, as Coolos was the gateway to the Forest Kingdom and the Dwarven Realm of Burral. The Elves remained in the woods as Darras entered the town nestled before the massive castle walls. From there, he made his way to the main gate and spoke to the guard, requesting an audience with Liliba cor Coolos, his friend and wife of Lord Drevvis, heir to the Baron.

“And who might you be?” the guard asked, suspicion written all over his features.

“Darras, agent of the goddess Erren,” Darras replied, watching as the man considered the reply.

“You have proof of this ... wild claim?”

Darras handed over a small scroll with Liliba and Drevvis’s seals attached, granting Darras access to the nobles’ presence.

“Please wait here; a messenger will be sent,” the guard finally decided. “If you lie, it will not go well for you.”

“I should think not,” Darras nodded.

There was a slight delay before the rider despatched came racing back bearing the message that Darras was to be permitted entry and would be met at the courtyard of the keep. Two guards then escorted Darras through the bustling manufactories within the walls to the central keep, where the guards immediately smartened up their progress as Liliba stood waiting along with several ladies in waiting.

“Welcome, Darras, my friend,” Liliba hailed him.

“It is good to see you, Lady Liliba. Unfortunately, I bear information that should reach the ears of the Baron as it regards a potential threat to Coolos,” Darras replied.

“I suspected as much,” Liliba replied with a smile. “You’re like a bad copper coin, always turning up with bad news.”

“Would that it was otherwise, my friend,” Darras chuckled.

“Come with me. The Baron will be in his office along with Drevvis sorting the yearly finances,” Liliba offered.

“Do you wish us to escort him, my Lady?” a nervous guard asked.

“No, please return to your station with my thanks,” Liliba ordered.

“Yes, my Lady,” the guard replied as both did an about-face and marched out of the courtyard as Darras followed Liliba into the keep.

“Greetings, sir Darras,” Baron Dolen, an older version of Drevvis, stated when they finally reached the office. “I have heard much of you from Drevvis and Liliba.”

“Greetings to you, Baron Dolen,” Darras replied. “No doubt they’ll have informed you of my reputation of being a bearer of bad news.”

“Hah! That they have. Now tell me, what’s so important that the agent of the goddess has decided to make a personal call?”

“It’s to do with Cranagh,” Darras replied.

“We’ve heard that they’re hostile to anyone supporting Rigilo, though I’ve heard precious little else,” Dolen noted, rubbing his chin. “Besides, were they to attempt some sort of invasion, we’d have lots of warning as I watch the highways constantly.”

“And the lake?” Darras asked.

“Why would I have the lake watched?” Dolen asked, looking confused.

“Because Duke Cranagh is having barges built and towed out with troops and supplied to the isle of Suren,” Darras replied, clearly shocking the man.

“Surely you jest?” Drevvis replied into the shocked silence.

“Would that I were jesting,” Darras replied. “Friends of mine located the troops, and I witnessed the barges myself.”

“These friends of yours, how trustworthy are they?”

“Very trustworthy ... if generally unwelcome in Rachtelin.”

“Ah. Elves,” Dolen nodded. “Hopefully, the ban can be lifted should Rigilo ascend to the throne.”

“I hope so,” Darras nodded. “Their plan is simple enough in theory and would secure the west of Rachtelin firmly under the control of the King’s Council.”

“True, and our northern flank is exposed as I only looked out for trouble coming from the south or east,” Dolen nodded thoughtfully.

“I can assure you, Trasgel is quiescent,” Darras added.

“Matches my reports as well,” Drevvis confirmed. “I assume they plan to come from the isle, seize the fishing villages and hit us before we can muster our troops.”

“Seems likely, though I rather think they’ll infiltrate the villages before the barges come in sight,” Darras replied.

“True, it’s how I’d do it,” Dolen nodded. “Still, we are forewarned, and I’ll ensure our northern flank is secured.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.