Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 4

Darras completed his various tasks in the north of Crusal. He did note many messengers riding from one place to another, though suspecting why, he chose to ignore them. There was much speculation on what was considered a civil war going on with the Khedivate, though precious little accurate information, he discovered from listening closely to tavern conversations. He’d also been checked over personally at each town, including all his paperwork and sales documents for the Kerrem roots that now filled his pack. The most significant delay came when he returned to Hilliam, where he was escorted into an office and questioned about his whereabouts. He was eventually released after pointing out the various healers’ receipts and describing his route.

That last part was more about the assassination of Rhonat, ’ Erren explained.

“Kind of guessed that, plus my looks automatically generate suspicion,” Darras chuckled, though more in relieving the tension than actually finding it funny.

Yes, those in authority would have loved to pin this on an Asulian, ’ Erren agreed.

“Guess the judges are honest here?”

They are.

The gateway house permitted Darras to leave after only a cursory inspection of his goods, the clerk seemingly glad to get Darras out of the country. In Tophek, Darras called in at the temple of Hallis and the associated guild and handed over the roots.

“You do not wish to be paid?” A surprised priest/healer asked.

“It’s an offering,” Darras replied. “One of your healers assisted me greatly, and this is my thanks.”

“May Hallis bless you; we need these roots as the fever has been particularly virulent this year.”

“Just put them to good use,” Darras replied before giving his goodbyes and returning home.


“Welcome back, my love,” Erren greeted him.

“It’s good to be home,” a suddenly clean-shaven Darras replied before hugging and kissing the woman he loved.

“Not the easiest of missions,” Erren commented as she led the way to the bathing area.

“Not the friendliest of places either,” Darras replied as he disrobed.

“Yes, I saw,” Erren nodded as she slipped into the pool beside Darras.

“Any updates?”

“A bit of anarchy in the Khedivate as old wounds surfaced. Nothing major, though, other than the troops being recalled to keep order.”

“All went to plan,” Darras nodded.

“It did, thank you.”

“I enjoyed working with the other agents. We made a good team.”

“Yes, you do, though you’ll not work with them that often. They have their tasks as well,” Erren replied.

“Yes, but it was good to know we can work together without problems,” Darras nodded.

“Agreed, though you won’t need any help for your next task,” Erren replied, soaping Darras down.

“What will I be up to?”

“A visit to Iversirion to take a personal message to Harinas and Leandomus, as well as to bring back Tariel for a holiday.”

“She’ll be excited about that,” Darras replied with a smile.

“Bringing her here will give Harinas and Gallira a break and hopefully to conceive a child of their own,” Erren explained.

“Hallis involved?”

“In a sense, simply giving Gallira some background encouragement.”

“Does she still have qualms about having a partner?” Darras quizzed.

“Subconsciously, yes, plus she’s a little shy still.”

“I see. Still, I’m sure Tariel will have fun anyway,” Darras nodded.

“She will, and you’ll be off to Rachtelin shortly afterwards.”

“Trouble?”

“Yes, looks like things are coming to a head because my priests are reporting a movement of forces from the King’s Council and an upturn in the activities of my brother’s scales.”

“Not good,” Darras frowned.

“I know, the problem is, I’m not sure, as yet, where the first blows will land.”

“Likely Alvastros,” Darras replied thoughtfully.

“I initially thought that, but there’s little or no activity around there.”

“Best go take a look. I’ll ask Firios and friends to help transport me around,” Darras nodded.

“A good idea. You’ll be able to use the new gateways Doriel’s people have set up.”

“How come none of the regular nations using the gateways have stumbled upon them?” Darras asked.

“Me mostly, I inform my priests of available stations, and they inform the gateway authorities in each kingdom. Not that it changes a lot.”

“How does Fordel manage? Didn’t they kill your priests?”

“I assume Darmela finds out the information I send and informs them. Other gods do the same in kingdoms I’m not represented in,” Erren explained. “I could have turned off the gateway in Fordel, but it likely would have hurt my people there.”

“Yes, an economic crash usually hurts those at the bottom,” Darras nodded.

“Their day will come, though.”


“Darras welcome back,” Traskis greeted him as Darras stepped out of the gateway office in Iversirion, which was unusually crowded.

“It’s good to be back, my friend,” Darras replied, smiling broadly. “Greetings to you too, Lerrone,” Darras added, respectfully greeting Traskis’ wife. “And this must be your daughter?”

“Greetings, sir Darras,” Lerrone replied with a slight smile. “Yes, this is Kelemi, our daughter.”

“What brings you here, Traskis? I doubt it’s me,” Darras chuckled.

“Wonderful as it is to see you, my friend, no,” Traskis replied with a smile of his own. “We brought Kelemi here because Kina will be visiting.”

Kelemi, who now appeared quite shy, clutched her mother’s leg and peered at Darras, unsure of what she was actually looking at.

“May Wenderoas bless you all,” Darras replied. “My business is with Harinas and Leandomus as well as young Tariel, though I will probably remain long enough to greet Kina.”

“I’m sure Kina will be delighted to see you. She is due any moment, hence the onlookers,” Traskis said, explaining the growing crowds.

“Are you a Human?” Kelemi finally asked though she looked very nervous as if expecting a telling-off.

“I am,” Darras confirmed. “As is the priestess Kina and her husband, the priest Galard.”

“They are?”

“Yes, Kelemi, they are, hadn’t you noticed?” Lerrone replied, clearly amused.

“But they dress like our priests?”

“Because they are priests, silly.”

“Oh ... Humans worship Wenderos?”

“They do, though they call her Erren. The Dwarves call her Gilmea,” Darras explained.

“Dwarves?”

“Oh, I’m sure you’ll meet one, one day,” Darras chuckled, liking Kelemi a lot, as did Erren, who was watching through him. “Try not to be rude to them, even if they talk strangely.”

“Good advice,” Traskis added. “Ah, I believe this may be her.”

There was a stirring in the crowd towards the gateway building before Kina and Galard appeared to a roar of acclamation from the waiting Elves.

“May Wenderos bless you all and bring joy into your lives,” Kina’s voice rang out clearly to the crowd as Galard shyly smiled, carrying their son, Galkin.

“Darras!” Kina suddenly exclaimed. “What brings you here?”

“Escorting Tariel to meet Erren for a holiday, as well as passing a message on from Erren direct to Harinas and Leandomus,” Darras explained before giving Kina a reciprocated hug. “These are my friends Traskis and Lerrone, along with Kelemi, their daughter.”

“We’ve met,” Kina replied, her exuberance for life causing all to smile. “Are you doing well, Lerrone?”

“I am, Kina,” Lerrone replied before, unusually for an Elf, she hugged Kina.

“And you, Traskis?” Kina asked as Darras greeted Galard, noticing Galkin clutching the plush toy Erren had made for him as a birthing gift.

“I am, though I’ve been informed Darras will need aid soon,” Traskis replied.

“Causing trouble again, Darras?” Kina mock scolded him.

“As ever,” Darras chuckled as the group made their way to the central shrine, Kina occasionally greeting those she knew.

Harinas and Land King Leandomus were waiting at the shrine with a crowd of Elves of all ranks. There was a festive mood amongst the masses as the Elves took to Kina and her sheer exuberance in life and worship, which she’d passed on to Harinas in his role as Priest-King.

“Be welcome, priestess Kina,” Leandomus formally greeted Kina, though he noted Darras.

“My thanks, King Leandomus. It is always a pleasure to visit Iversirion,” Kina replied.

“Be welcome, Kina, my friend,” Harinas spoke next as the two embraced.

“May Wenderos bless you and fill your life with unending joy,” Kina replied.

“I know she will, as she already does,” Harinas nodded. “The people hope for a benediction from you.”

“It will be a pleasure,” Kina agreed, moved to a raised dais at the front of the shrine, and spoke to the crowd.

Afterwards, Darras ... or rather Erren speaking through Darras, conversed with Harinas and Leandomus, essentially warning them of events in Crusal and Rachtelin, particularly regarding being seen to be openly supporting Prince Rigilo.

“Ah, yes, I was somewhat aware of the threat of Colanthus and his followers. Some of my royal guards worship him,” Leandomus commented.

“You can expect issues from them if you aid Rigilo,” Erren explained. “My brother, Colanthus, is not altogether ... rational at how events went in Thenarron and seeks a war that will cause me issues elsewhere. And I do not wish Iversirion to be drawn fully into it.”

“I will keep the people calm, my goddess,” Harinas promised.

“And I’ll ensure our neutrality, though, will continue to prevent Fordelian merchants from traversing Dorlianath as will King Danvas of the Humans,” Leandomus promised.

“That’s all I ask,” Erren replied. “Blessings be upon you, faithful servants.”

“We thank you,” both replied with bowed heads.

Afterwards, Darras went to the former temple of Erren that now housed the university and where he would meet Gallira and Tariel.

“Greetings, Darras,” Gallira hailed him, though Tariel rushed forward to hug him.

Greetings, Gallira,” Darras replied. “My, you’ve grown, Tariel.”

“I have gained two hand spans since last we met, Darras,” Tariel proclaimed.

“I can see,” Darras chuckled. “Looking forward to seeing Erren?”

“Yes!”

“Good, because I know she’s looking forward to seeing you,” Darras replied, smiling at her enthusiasm.

“Darras!”

Darras turned to see Annos and Sondrast approaching and waved. “Good to see you, my friends.”

“Seems like an age,” Sondrast replied.

“Well, we’ve all been busy,” Darras nodded. “Though Erren tells me you’re attracting attention as teachers here.”

“We are,” Annos confirmed. “Our open teaching without the secrecy many senior magic users have means our class registers are full, even with mature students.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.