Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 33

The village was abuzz with conversations when Darras and Klea escorted Mirion back to the elders, all to do with the appearance of a goddess through Mirion’s entreaties. Nor was there any sign of those who had objected to Mirion’s presence.

“I suspect your threat has them cowed,” Klea said at a query from Darras.

“I don’t usually stoop to threats,” Darras admitted. “But, Mirion is a friend, and I do not wish to ever explain to Hallis that something happened to her under my watch.”

“Whilst on the island, she is in great danger, true.”

“Which is why she’ll be going very soon,” Darras nodded.

“Yet if we have those who are ill, we can ask for her aid?”

“You can, but please ensure her safety if she comes.”

“You won’t always be with her?”

“I have my work for Erren; she has hers for Hallis.”

“Ah, I see,” Klea nodded. “I will ensure her safety should we need her.”

“Please do so, friend Klea.”

Klavin had also returned when they reached the elders’ meeting hut, and all sat before the elders as a simple meal was placed before all.

“So, if we desire, we can use the gateway?” the senior elder asked.

“You can, though I’d advise caution; your kin abound in the wide world, and they still view you as enemies,” Tiruk replied. “Stick with trade for now, and I’ll ensure reasonable prices for the availability of goods you cannot get here.”

“This we understand; we’ll mostly be after various ores,” an elder replied. “Whilst we realise for now Dwarven products are beyond our means.”

“I’ve advised your smiths on certain techniques,” Klavin added. “Your ploughs will last longer, the same with your other farming implements.”

“That is good to hear; foraging for food in the woods is time-consuming and occasionally leaves us hungry.”

“It may take a while, but we’ll get your civilisation onto their feet,” Darras replied.

“And of our kin?”

“That may take longer,” Darras sighed. “Though I may bring others of them to speak with you occasionally.”

“We will ensure their safety,” the elder nodded.

“Erren ... Wenderos, as you know her, will also ensure that the gateway remains unknown to the outer world.”

“For this, we thank you and will ensure none of our people use it for mischief either.”

“It is time to return Mirion to her family,” Darras announced.

“I will accompany you,” Klea offered. “Mirion is a friend.”

“You accept this Elf as a friend?” the elder asked.

“I do.”

“Good news indeed; perhaps there is hope to be found in the future.”

“It may take centuries for all Elves to set aside their hate, though it can be done,” Mirion replied.

“Agreed,” Klea added. “Should we need her, I will ensure my friend’s safety.”

“That is good to hear, my daughter,” the elder replied, hinting at Klea’s importance within the Dark Kin.

Mirion was then escorted back to the gateway by Klea, who reported no issues from the watching Dark Kin when she returned.

“It seems strange to have guests from afar,” the elder began after Klea had seated herself. “You represent your gods directly, yet not once have asked of the reason for our strife with Elvendom and the Jomanti Blade.”

“We know the former Emperor demanded the blade from you and what you did to keep it from him,” Darras shrugged. “It is yours to do with as you wish; our gods have no desire or need of it.”

“That seems odd, the blade having caused so many issues worldwide.”

“It was forged by the Dark Lord and imbued with a power to give its wielder a sword of immense strength and cutting ability, along with magnified charisma,” Darras explained. “Whilst special in a sense, our gods have no interest in a blade forged by their dark brother.”

“It’s old?”

“Older than the first ones who extracted it from the rock it was embedded in and whose wielder was acknowledged king amongst them,” Pelegard replied.

“It’s not very sharp, according to the acolytes who care for it,” the elder frowned. “Nor have they reported any other effects.”

“It becomes so when the one it acknowledges wields it.”

“Ah, so we’re not worthy?”

“Do all your people try it?” Tiruk asked.

“No,” the elder shook his head.

“Then you don’t know, though I’d be cautious as its true wielder cannot be refused any request without great mental fortitude or the protection of a god.”

The other elders, who had all sat silently listening in, were now muttering amongst themselves, some looking angry.

“It is not our desire to anger you,” Darras spoke calmly. “You asked of the blade, and we reported how our gods view it.”

“It is not your explanation that causes debate or anger,” one of the elders spoke. “It is what the Jomanti Blade is capable of.”

“You did not know?” Tiruk asked.

“We did not, though it’s possible our ancestors did, along with Harranis.

“Almost certainly,” Darras agreed. “I can envision no other reason than greed for him desiring it.”

“Nor I,” the senior elder spoke into the silence.

“Your people paid a terrible price for keeping the blade safe,” Pelegard added. “Now our gods know of this, they will aid you in recovering.”

“And what of the Elves?” the elder asked.

“They know the truth now; it is being disseminated through the University of Iversirion and is backed up by the priests of Gilvarion who recorded Harranis’ decree and demand,” Darras replied. “It could still take a long time, though; on both sides, some will not give up their hate.”

“Yes, understandable,” the elder nodded. “One day, perhaps.”

“It will come,” Tiruk added. “Even now, the Dark Kin could visit a Human and some Dwarven towns and trade.”

“But not all Dwarven towns,” Klavin chuckled. “Some don’t like Elves at all, and to them, you’re just Elves.”

This made the elders smile as they knew the antagonism between Elves and Dwarves that came from the speech patterns of both races and caused no end of issues between the common folk of both. Notably, the nobility of both races could and did get along ... in most cases, not all.

“I’ll be in touch in two months,” Tiruk added. “I’ll buy the specified goods and bring trade goods with me.”

“That is good to know,” the elder nodded. “My people will be better prepared by then.”

“I’ll also occasionally call in,” Klavin added. “Mostly to pass on techniques to your smiths and metalworkers.”

“That, too, is acceptable,” the elder replied. “I will have Klea escort you back now.”

“May Erren, Pelegard and Crannok bless you,” Darras intoned as they stood.

“A blessing from the gods; it feels strange to receive one,” the elder chuckled.

“There will no doubt be more in your futures,” Darras smiled.

With Klea using her farstriding ability, the group reached the Dark Kin coastal village before sunset. Their skiff was still tied up and unmolested, which Darras was grateful for as some villagers’ hostility was palpable. Still, Klea’s presence had them cowed; nothing else happened besides hostile looks. Untying the skiff and raising the sail, Tiruk soon had them heading across a slightly choppy sea until he reached a calm patch, where Girellus met them and guided the skiff into the fogbank heading to Surillion. All three slept through the journey until their gods woke them as the first light came, and Darras could see the Elven city in the distance.

“You should be fine now,” Girellus said. “The weather and seas will remain fine.”

“The blessings of our gods be upon you, Girellus,” Tiruk replied.

“May Sorella bless you,” Girellus replied before slipping away into the depths.

Tiruk again raised the sail, and the skiff began to tack back and forth as the trio made their way towards the harbour. Once past the harbour walls, the oars came out, and Darras and Klavin used them to row powerfully to the original pier where the boat had been bought. Tiruk then sought a buyer for it as Darras and Klavin waited patiently. Fortunately, Tiruk was able to find a buyer quickly, and the trio made their way to the gateway, paid their dues and returned to Erren’s domain, where they were greeted by the gods, Balat and Mirion.

“A successful mission, well done to you,” Erren said when all were relaxed.

“I didn’t exactly do much,” Balat chuckled.

“You got Mirion the herbs and were available as backup,” Doriel replied. “The potential for a disaster here was massive.”

“Yes, such hate from certain individuals, even those I healed,” Mirion sighed. “Though gaining Klea as a friend was most surprising.”

“Yes, a most interesting young woman and daughter of their senior elder,” Hallis nodded.

“Who still never gave his name, as did the rest,” Darras chuckled.

“That was deliberate,” Erren explained. “In their culture, a name given by their leadership grants certain rights to you, primarily the right of protection from harm.”

“I take it that was mainly diplomatic and aimed at their people?” Tiruk asked.

“Very much so,” Saltak replied. “It’s somewhat similar to the lore the Orcs use.”

“I take it you can better observe them now we’ve been there?” Darras asked.

“Yes,” Pelegard nodded. “Your presence is good for a year, though Tiruk will visit regularly and Klavin occasionally.”

“They still have a long path ahead of them to get back to being accepted in the world,” Mirion sighed.

“Very true,” Erren agreed. “Still, you’ve helped a lot, and they now accept us gods again.”

“Yes, though I suspect it’s only skin deep,” Pelegard opined.

“No priests,” Tsumi added. “Nor could we ask one to go there as yet.”

“Which is why much will depend upon Tiruk,” Crannok replied. “Amongst the goods you’ll sell will be copies of our words.”

“I’ll do my best,” Tiruk nodded.

“I doubt they’ll be that popular initially,” Erren replied. “But, there will be some interest, particularly the elders.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.