Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 30

“So, where will your travels take you next, Darras?” Gallira asked.

“I’ll be spending a lot of time on Golsten, from what Erren has told me,” Darras replied. “Whilst the threat of the shadows has receded in the west, they still abound and cause issues in the east.”

“Asul and Crusal?” Harinas asked.

“Yes, there’s still the potential for a major war between the pair,” Darras nodded.

“Even with a powerful nation between them?” Kina frowned.

“Korch remains neutral, though at one stage the Dark Lord had the forces of Crusal making supply camps around Korch’s eastern border to invade Asul from there.”

“Using Asul’s support of slavery as its excuse, no doubt,” Kina nodded.

“That, Erren plans to deal with at some stage, though so far, has limited it to Elven slaves,” Darras replied.

“Yes, our temples contributed to a fund to aid in that,” Harinas nodded. “Though freeing the Humans will not be so easy.”

“Yes, it’s quite endemic with Asul, though the pressure from the followers of Erren, Hallis, and Pelegard to end the practice is growing.”

“Followers of Darmela,” Gallard sighed.

“Yes, both wealthy and influential, though increasingly under pressure to end that evil practice,” Darras nodded.

“Hopefully, it will end soon, plus it will be one less reason for Crusal to justify a war with them,” Harinas replied.

“True, but their hatred of Asul runs deep,” Darras agreed. No doubt they’ll have other reasons.”

“No doubt,” Gallira nodded. “I’ll prepare a room for you, Darras, as the gateway will be used for freight now.”

“My thanks,” Darras replied.

Gallira led Darras from the room, picking up Tariel as a guide as well, though initially, Gallira led the way to the university’s arboretum, where the Dryad Mesoli greeted Darras. Gallira then left Darras and Tariel with Mesoli to enjoy a meal as she went to prepare Darras’s room.

“Everything is well with you, Mesoli?” Darras asked as Mesoli served up a delicious-looking vegetable soup.

“It is, Darras,” Mesoli replied. “I take much joy in teaching and enjoying this small area of paradise within Iversirion.”

“And your sisters Hollana and Caltrena?”

“Are well,” Mesoli smiled. “A new Dryad, Nerria, lives with them and is learning how to deal with Fordel’s merchants.”

“I look forward to meeting her one day,” Darras nodded.

“She will no doubt be fascinated to meet you, Darras. To a magical adept, your aura is unique.”

“It’s what enables me to take down a shadow,” Darras replied. “It’s the opposite of magic.”

“Not quite,” Mesoli replied thoughtfully. “The antithesis, yes, but if it were the complete opposite, this world would reject you.”

Your aura interrupts the flow of magic, my love, ’ Erren added. ‘It’s not the opposite of magic for the reasons Mesoli gave.

“I stand corrected,” Darras acknowledged. “You learn something new every day.”

“I can’t even see his aura,” Tariel admitted.

“You are young, Tariel,” Mesoli replied. “There is so much magic and the healing arts for you to learn.”

“I know, but it’s fun, too,” Tariel happily replied. “So many different types, yet all having the same base.”

“Yes, though there are many magic users who are secretive about their arts,” Mesoli nodded before removing the bowls.

“But not here ... well, not most.”

“True, we have a few students who are unwilling to disclose their methodology and seek only to learn others,” Mesoli nodded. “They are offset by those willing to exchange such knowledge and gain far more by way of doing so.”

“In much the same way as Annos and Sondrast have,” Darras added.

“Very true,” Mesoli agreed. “They now teach here and continue to study under me and Quinall.”

“I thought he was retiring?” Darras asked.

“Semi-retired, he tutors promising students to keep from being bored,” Mesoli replied. “He also occasionally gives lectures, most of which are packed out with students as they are immensely popular, if a bit advanced for those new here.”

“I went to one once, but he lost me after a few minutes,” Tariel admitted with a smile.

“Not too surprising, Tariel,” Mesoli laughed. “In a decade or two, perhaps, but for now, stick to basics.”

“I will.”

“How is Demala doing?” Darras asked.

“Very well indeed,” Mesoli replied. “She has a control over fire magic that will match my own in time.”

“I suspect she’ll teach here as well,” Darras chuckled.

“One day, most likely,” Mesoli nodded. “But not for a few hundred years.”

“Yes, she enjoys working for the scouts,” Darras agreed. “Plus, she will no doubt wish to marry one day.”

“Far too young for that, Darras,” Mesoli corrected. “She’s a mere seven decades.”

“That young?”

“Yes, a bit of a prodigy; I’m glad Lomarris brought me here to teach her after her idiot of an ex-master rejected her.”


Darras set off for the gateway the following morning, though he took a detour to the tavern where the Royal Scouts often met up. There, he found Tinara and Traskis poring over a series of maps of the Forest Kingdom’s southern border. Both happily greeted Darras and explained what they were up to.

“So, Leandomus wants to expand trade with Rachtelin via Cranagh by using the lake to transit goods?” Darras nodded, thinking it was a good idea.

“Yes, we have been tasked to scout out the best route for a road to the lakeshore and the village of Haplos, where docks will be built,” Traskis explained.

“Giving access to the crops of the farming regions of Tungeld and Realdem,” Tinara added. “They already barge the excess up the River Rachtele to Cranagh, where it was shipped up to Banat and transported to Fordel.”

“I did not realise that food was such an issue for the Forest Kingdom,” Darras mused, rubbing his chin.

“We import from Lirrant, mostly trading in wood and other forestry products as our farming area follows the Doros River valley in our west,” Traskis replied. “Mostly by Humans and limited in area.”

“So I see,” Darras nodded. “So, Dorlianath’s growth is limited as you’re at the mercy of good harvests elsewhere?”

“Yes,” Tinara replied. “Not that we have issues with Lirrant, but if they have a bad harvest, we suffer greatly. Securing alternative sources of supply is a priority for us.”

“From what I’ve learned, Rachtelin produces surpluses every year, even in bad years,” Darras said. “They’ve been forced to sell it to Fordel below market value, though this will change now.”

“Yes, hence the commands from our king.”

“It will also cement relations with Rachtelin,” Traskis added. “Particularly as Elves are now permitted to travel in the liberated areas.”

“Yes, I saw many of your traders on my way here,” Darras nodded. “Though you’ll also compete with Rossaris too.”

“Yes, though Leandomus believes that the northern parts of Rachtelin will find our prices better and transit easier via Cranagh,” Tinara replied.

“Most likely,” Darras agreed, feeling Erren’s agreement in the background.


“Welcome back from your grand tour, my love,” Erren greeted Darras merrily when he phased into view on their front lawn.

“It’s good to be back,” Darras replied, hugging his Lady. “Things went to plan ... I hope?”

“Yes, messages were passed, and the end game set up for a good conclusion to this civil war in Rachtelin.”

“And all without Rigilo fighting a major battle,” Darras nodded as they headed to the bathing area. “I suspect future historians will be poring over that for generations.”

“Most likely, though he hasn’t won yet,” Erren agreed,

“But he will,” Darras replied.

“Yes, he will. It’s just the fine details that haven’t been resolved as yet.”

“Do the Council know this?”

“They do, though some are in denial,” Erren replied, slipping into the water. “They are currently looting Rachtelin of anything of value whilst their senior commander, Baron Mirrs, is formulating plans for a retreat to Trasgel.”

“I assume they are using the gateway?” Darras asked.

“Yes, they’ll all use it to escape, taking Joffar with them as a figurehead for a government in exile ... well, the unseated nobles and merchants, that is.”

“Can’t see them being that welcome in Fordel,” Darras chuckled as he started washing Erren’s back.

“Their money will be; they may have lost lands and businesses but have massive personal fortunes amassed.”

“Enough to live in style ... or start again?”

“More than enough until I deal with Fordel, or rather Rigilo does when the Fordelians refuse to return certain national treasures looted by the Council,” Erren smiled grimly.

“The actual King’s crown and the crown jewels?”

“Yes, artwork from the palace, too.”

“Seems somewhat foolish,” Darras replied.

“Tit for tat ... in a sense as Rachtelin will refuse to deal with them by way of trade, along with repudiating any business deals signed after Rigilo’s accession.”

“Setting themselves up for a fall,” Darras chuckled. “I rather suspect they’ll think Rigilo can’t get to them there.”

“They don’t, but they are also unaware of the growing resistance to the rule of the Darmelans in Fordel as the number of rebels within the Holy Forest grows daily.”

“They must know there is some resistance, surely?”

“Vaguely aware,” Erren replied. “The rebels are not openly attacking anyone or anything on the advice of the forest folk.”

“How long?” Darras asked.

“Two years, once Rigilo takes over. He’s pretty much stabilised the finances in the areas he controls.”

“He has some good advisors,” Darras nodded.

“Yes, Miront, Sinoris and Alvastros all lent him some of their best staff, and they were the key to unlocking the trade and finances of the simplified revenue streams that Rigilo’s supporters use.”

“Again, my influence via my temples,” Erren smiled.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.