Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 3

Darras swiftly set up a camp as Balat cooked them a meal, both men enjoying a skin of wine with it as supplied by Mirion. They then retired as darkness fell, knowing that no one could harm them, protected as they were by the forest folk. Both woke early, stowed their equipment and waited for word to come of the path Banaslas was taking.

Southern gate, ’ Erren informed Darras, as Doriel undoubtedly informed Balat.

“This way,” Balat indicated as he led Darras deeper into the forest though heading in a southerly direction.

They are heading toward Hurev, a town in Korch, ’ Erren added more information. ‘They are travelling fast, though you should be able to cut them off before the Korchian border.

Darras and Balat picked up the pace as they reached what Darras presumed was a hidden path, though he could not tell this as it seemingly opened and closed ahead and behind the pair. Every so often, Balat would pause and touch a tree, clearly communicating with the forest folk about the position of Banaslas and his party.

“The forest folk are slowing them down somewhat by diverting onto a side route ... though their party is unaware of this,” Balat informed Darras.

“Magic?” Darras asked, suspecting it was.

“A glamour of sorts,” Balat confirmed. “That’s as far as they’ll currently go, though.”

“Good enough, however. I’d prefer to catch them at night, if possible,” Darras informed Balat.

“It should be if Banaslas keeps to his current path,” Balat confirmed.


The night was falling when the two made it to within sight of a guarded campsite set in a clearing near a stream. Balat using a concealed light spell, drew a map of the camp, marking who was where and where they would end up sleeping.

“For some kind of noble, he does appear to be roughing it somewhat,” Balat concluded his description.

“I don’t think there’s room for a pavilion,” Darras replied with a smile.

“True, though they all, according to the watchers, appear used to this activity.”

“I’ll go about my business once they settle for the night. You needn’t involve yourself, Balat,” Darras informed the young man.

“I can help you,” Balat insisted.

“Balat, this will essentially be an assassination. There’s no need for blood to be upon your hands,” Darras replied firmly.

“But all right for you?” Balat countered firmly.

“I’ve done it before, both in this and in my previous life. There’s no need for you to involve yourself, Balat.”

“Very well,” Balat sighed. “Doriel agrees with you.”

“What you can do is keep an eye out for unexpected movements, Banaslas has shadows around him, and they do not sleep.”

“Understood, that at least I can do,” Balat nodded.

Taking only his bow and knife with him, Darras moved silently towards the campsite, feeling the wrongness of the shadows within it, though unable to see them yet. Balat moved just as silently behind him though stopped a little way back from the edge of the encampment where he had a reasonable view of the central area.

Darras crept forward at the edge of the encampment until he reached the back of the tent. He had been informed Banaslas was sleeping in, fortunately alone. He then paused as he could feel the presence of a shadow nearby, though as yet out of sight. Very carefully, Darras undid the flap, his every sense alert as the very wrongness of the shadows made him both slightly nauseous as well as setting his teeth on edge. Parting the flap very carefully, Darras peered inside, seeing only the recumbent form of a sleeping man. This enabled Darras to slip past the flap and use his knife to sever the jugular of Banaslas and then leave. Darras then retied the flap carefully before slipping back into the woods and a waiting Balat.

“Done?” Balat asked.

“Done,” Darras confirmed. “Feels wrong leaving the shadows, but there are far too many men at arms around to make taking them out achievable without someone realising Banaslas wasn’t around.”

“Their day will come,” Balat nodded. “Now I believe you have deliveries to make?” he finished with a grin.

“That I do, and I’m behind schedule.”

The pair retreated to the hidden path, quickly finding it, then began the gruelling hike back to the original campsite. The sun was well over the horizon when the pair returned to find Cainee waiting for them, along with an Elf friend Darras knew very well indeed.

“Firios, it’s good to see you, my friend,” Darras greeted him.

“Erren asked Harinas to get me out here,” Firios replied. “Good to see you both.”

“I’m glad she did. Your farstriding ability will be helpful,” Darras confessed.

“We will permit you to use the hidden paths,” Cainee added. “Your schedule will easily be met.”

“My thanks, Cainee,” Darras replied.

“There is consternation in the camp of the former Khedive Banaslas,” Cainee went on. “Though none as yet know how it was done.”

“Hopefully, it will end that path of rebellion,” Darras replied thoughtfully. “Though there is yet Rhonat to deal with.”

“And no doubt he will be extra cautious,” Balat added. “Though possibly only around his fellow Khedives.”

“I hope so,” Darras nodded. “Though he may simply go to ground in Hilliam.”

“Well, you have a team to deal with that circumstance too.”

“True, though I’d prefer not to bring them in as they’ll stick out like sore thumbs as I do.”

With the aid of Firios, Darras quickly reached the first of his destinations by mid-day. However, Firios and Balat chose to remain in the woods, Balat out of preference and Firios because Elves were uncommon in Crusal.

Again Darras was delayed by the guard on duty as his pack was checked and notes placed on his documentation. On entry, Darras found the town healer, handed over the packages Mirion had supplied him, and enquired about Kerrem roots.

“We do have some,” Healer Rancom replied. “I’ll get them packaged for you. Pick them up in the morning.”

“My thanks,” Darras nodded. “How much?”

“Fifty coppers, it’s a common herb easily obtained.”

“Not where I’ll be selling it.”

“Ah, Tophek?”

“Yes.”

“Smart move. I’ll make sure it’s well preserved.”

“My thanks,” Darras acknowledged before taking his leave and seeking a room in an inn.


The following morning after collecting the roots, Darras rejoined Firios and Balat in their encampment after a lengthy delay whilst the gate guard checked the contents of his pack. However, Darras warned him not to open the sealed root packages as he’d be charged for them. This the guard agreed to, though Darras was sure Healer Rancom could expect a visit later that day.

Erren had informed Darras that the Khedive Rhonat had begun preliminary action against a couple of Khedives he saw as rivals, falsely suspecting them of the assassination of Banaslat. And, after beefing up his security, he intended to visit the senior commander preparing the invasion encampments.

“So, he doesn’t suspect it’s actually a counter-plot to end this invasion foolishness?” Balat asked.

“Apparently not. He assumes it was politics, and Banaslas got careless,” Darras replied with a shrug.

“Probably thinks someone sold on the route he intended to take,” Firios agreed. “Nor do these shadows suspect you had some sort of hand in it as you let them be.”

“They were simply lucky,” Darras replied. “But yes, in hindsight, it worked in my favour.”

“Well, you need not hold back with this Rhonat,” Firios noted. “Ending him ends the plot.”

“It will, though I may take the time to deal with the shadows plotting in Hilliam.”

“True, you don’t want them moving onto another ambitious noble.”

“Yes, as they most certainly will,” Darras agreed. “I’m glad Leandomus agreed to let you assist me in Rachtelin.”

“It will be a pleasure. You don’t often come to Dorlianath these days,” Firios replied with a smile. “Though admittedly, this has eased some of Tinara’s stresses with Fintra.”

“Has he shed some of his arrogance?”

“Some, not all,” Firios stated thoughtfully. “He is involved in the university’s administration and has to deal with the Human and Elven applicants for the various courses.”

“And not reject Humans out of hand, I presume?”

“Harinas has Annos and Gallira going over the various candidates alongside him, and he has been informed race is not grounds for rejection.”

“I should think not,” Darras nodded. “Ability is the sole standard, surely?”

“Mostly, there are considerations to be made regarding the ability to live within an Elven community ... though that mostly applies to certain lizardfolks.”

“Ah, humidity and temperature?”

“Yes, there currently have been no Dwarven applicants, though no doubt there will eventually be some,” Firios replied with a wry smile.

“Let’s just hope the Elves and Dwarves behave if they do.”

Rhonat intends to ride out tomorrow, though his route is not known as yet, ’ Erren informed Darras, who passed it on to the others.

“Whichever way he goes, I can get you there,” Firios confirmed.

“Might need your abilities with a bow, you too, Balat,” Darras replied. “If he has shadows, they are going down!”

“Yes, the need for caution has gone,” Balat agreed.


Firios was currently collecting Tiruk, Mirion and Klavin to assist in the taking down of Rhonat, each now having a reason to leave Hilliam on contracting work for the healer guild for Tiruk and Klavin and as an inspector of the guild in the case of Mirion. None of them had anything like the bother Darras had when leaving or entering a town and were soon transported to Darras and Balat’s encampment.

“Well done on Banaslas,” Mirion congratulated Darras. “There is much confusion amongst the Khedivate and a minor campaign of vendetta in prospect if they don’t rein in their paranoia and jostling for power.”

“It does appear to have whetted Rhonat’s desires to seize absolute power as well,” Tiruk confirmed. “First though, he needs to gain the full support of the army commander planning the invasion.”

“Hence his trip,” Darras nodded.

“He will be travelling with extra guards, several of them were with Banaslas, and I’m assuming these may be the shadows.”

“May well be,” Darras agreed.

“Planning on killing them all?” Tiruk asked.

“Just Rhonat and the shadows, though it may come down to it,” Darras replied. “I’d rather avoid unnecessary bloodshed if possible.”

“I can use sleep spells, though that may allow the shadows to escape,” Balat added.

“Really could do with Sondrast,” Darras chuckled. “His barrier magic was instrumental in situations like this.”

“True, but he’s retired now, along with Annos,” Firios replied with a smile.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.