Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 29

Darras left the king’s encampment and followed the River Rachtele south until he reached a bridge held by Rigilo’s forces and could cross safely. Darras then made his way through what constituted disputed territory until he saw signs of military-style works, though mostly not occupied. From there, Darras could get directions to Count Alros’s forces.

“Darras, my friend!” Jertin hailed as he approached, leading a patrol in strength.

“Jertin, good to see you,” Darras replied as the two men clasped arms whilst still on horseback. “How does your part in this war go?”

“Mostly well now, the forces of Tolner are reluctant to meet us in anything other than full strength,” Jertin responded. “They have no answer to mounted archers nor seem inclined to try them.”

“I suspect they are brutal to any they do capture,” Darras nodded.

“Death or torture followed by death,” Jertin grimaced. “Despite the edicts of Erren.”

“They’ll be judged by their action at some stage, though I realise that’s cold comfort for you.”

“Aye, war is brutal; this I know,” Jertin sighed.

“How is your good wife and children?”

“They are all fine; Rienne has returned to Alvastros along with the Count’s family and is occupied with returning the land to what it was,” Jertin replied.

“Ah, dealing with the siege works and the damage to farms and villages?”

“Yes, again, the forces of the former King’s Council behaved abominably, though fortunately, most of the peasant class had evacuated the area.

“Poisoned well and the like, no doubt,” Darras nodded.

“Arson, too,” Jertin added. “Though the opening of direct trade with Rossaris has been a big help as they bought our excess grain crop, giving us the coin to hire craftsmen to repair the worst of the damage.”

“Should Cranagh fall, Rigilo will permit it in the North as well,” Darras nodded.

“Good, it should have been permitted centuries ago, despite the historical wrongs it was based on,” Jertin replied.

“True, the Elves of today are not those of the Golden Empire,” Darras nodded. “They still have issues over the death of Harranis though, though the truth of the matter is only just coming out.”

“Truth?”

“Harranis demanded an artefact sacred to what you call the Dark Kin. He had no right to it but was insistent, so they killed him.”

“Ah, rather than deal with the perpetrators, the Elves blamed the clan?” Jertin nodded.

“They did, causing a rift to this day,” Darras replied. “Though for the Elves, it’s barely two generations.”

“Ah yes,” Jertin chuckled. “They have a different concept to what’s ancient history.”

“That they do,” Darras smiled. “Both sides.”

“For all they can easily tell the difference, the ones we fought alongside and the Dark Kin weren’t different to us at all.”

“They sense the hate and loathing the other side has for them; it makes negotiations ... difficult,” Darras explained.

“Yes,” Jertin nodded. “Now, what brings you here, my friend?”

“Despatches from Rigilo for the Earl and the Count,” Darras replied. “Also, some information they may not be aware of.”

“I see,” Jertin nodded. “They are encamped to the south, near the border, holding the forces of Tolner in check and preventing them from being able to attack the King in support of Rachtelin.”

“My thanks,” Darras acknowledged.

“Will you need an escort?”

“No, I can mostly look after myself,” Darras chuckled before bidding his friend farewell.

The lands Darras now travelled over were, for the most part, returning to nature. The various villages were deserted or struggling to get by, relying upon aid from the Temple of Erren to survive. The land of many farms was untilled, and an occasional farm looked burned to the ground.

Such is the nature of war, ’ Erren commented.

“It will return to normal should Tolner fall,” Darras nodded.

It will; much of the damage done was by Tolner’s forces as they retreated or raided.

“Nor can the farmers return as yet,” Darras replied.

No, the land is still raided as Tolner’s forces attack supply columns and attempt to destroy infrastructure that aids Earl Ordetas’ advance.

“That is not a winning strategy,” Darras muttered. “Still, that’s their problem, not Rigilo’s.”

True, you eliminated their most experienced commander in the war with Thenarron, Erren agreed. ‘Mirrs, their next best, is constantly thwarted by Cranagh and kept around Rachtelin to aid its defence, even as Rigilo just stands in place, daring them to attack.

“Will this change if Cranagh Castle falls?”

Yes, but it will be too late for the Council; they’ll have wasted their best chances and left Rigilo in command of the east, north and west.

“Still hard fighting,” Darras replied.

True, though expect resistance to crumble as the merchants on the Council seek a way out of their predicament.

“I can see Rigilo’s terms being harsh due to the damage they’ve done to his country.”

Yes, so when that doesn’t work, they’ll probably attempt to flee south and through Burral before heading north to Fordel, where they’ll have assets, likely leaving all but a trusted few guards behind.

“And your brother’s machinations?” Darras asked.

I suspect he lost interest here after the initial move of the Council failed, and you slew his scales.

“Interesting,” Darras thoughtfully replied.

He has never been one to reinforce failure.

“Ah...” Darras nodded.

Darras had now come within sight of the encampment of Earl Ordetas and Count Alros, a sprawling, well-defended and run military camp. Once at the gate, Darras showed the guard the despatch seal and waited for an escort to the Earl. This was not long in coming, and Darras was escorted through the encampment to the Earl’s pavilion, where he was greeted enthusiastically by Ordetas and Alros.

The despatches were read first, Ordetas penning a quick reply, followed by an order to assemble the war council in an hour. “Now, what news do you have for us, Darras?” the Earl asked as wine was brought in.

“Cranagh will fall and be secured by Miront in less than two days,” Darras replied. “He’ll be aided in part by an internal rebellion by the people now that the wall is breached and the stream not deep enough to be a real hindrance to Miront’s levies.”

“Paying the price for not keeping his fortress’ defences prepared,” Alros nodded.

“I’ve observed he only spent upon himself in any great quantity,” Ordetas chuckled.

“Unfortunately, your son, Fosloss, is within Cranagh, and Erren cannot guarantee his safety, Count Alros,” Darras informed the man. “He has not endeared himself to the populace within.”

“Damn!” Alros sighed. “I understand, though I had hoped one day he’d see how foolish his behaviour was.”

“How goes your part in this war?” Darras asked.

“A lot of skirmishes, though we’re driving them back slowly but surely,” Ordetas replied. “They keep attempting to draw us into a major confrontation, but I’ll only do that when we get within sight of Tolner.”

“Miront’s siege train should be able to join you once you secure the area,” Darras replied.

“Aye, though I expect the bulk of his forces to cut off Rachtelin.”

“That seems likely; expect the Council to flee then to Fordel, most likely, taking Joffar with them as a figurehead,” Alros replied.

“I doubt they’ll raise any resistance movement,” Darras chuckled.

“No, but it will give them a veneer of legitimacy,” Ordetas replied.

“True, and I expect they’ve already looted the capital bare to keep them comfortable whilst exiled,” Alros muttered. “Our King will have a lot of work on his hands once this is over.”

“He’ll likely open the country to full trade with the Elves,” Darras replied. “As he has with your territories.”

“True, it has helped,” Ordetas nodded. “So long as we have bountiful harvests.”

“You will. Erren confirms it,” Darras replied.


Once finished with the two nobles, Darras set off again, joining a patrol heading north towards the main road between Rachtelin and Tremina. Leaving the patrol, Darras joined the road and headed towards Saltion Forest, avoiding villages and camping away from the road. Though Darras spotted several patrols by the forces of Tremina, he could avoid them as they were not concealed, and he usually heard them long before they came into sight. Once at Saltion, Darras headed into the forest, leading the horse by the reins and following a path that opened and closed around him.

“Greetings, Sir Darras,” a female voice hailed him, though Darras could not see anyone.

“Greetings, may the blessings of Lomarris be upon you,” Darras replied politely.

“My thanks, I am the Dryad Lomis, Guardian of the forest,” a young appearing woman replied as she stepped forward from seemingly nowhere.

“A pleasure to meet you, Lomis,” Darras responded, realising Lomis looked exactly like all the previous Dryads he’d met.

“Please follow me; I will guide you to the Coolos trail.”

“My thanks,” Darras replied. “I hope the forces of the Council are not causing you issues?”

“They aren’t; the forest is simply enspelled to confuse anyone uninvited.”

“Good, it was most unwise of Colanthus to permit an undead to enter the sacred domain,” Darras replied.

“It was, though, my thanks to you for exposing this crime against the teachings of Lomarris.”

The trail they took was both level and straight and though Darras did not think they had farstrode, the Coolos trail reached far quicker than he had expected. There, Darras bade Lomis farewell, mounted the horse, and set off for Coolos’s castle, noting the occasional patrols but also the busy towns and villages.

Once there, Darras handed over the letter of identification Lady Liliba had provided him and was asked to wait until he was collected. This took little time, and Darras was escorted to the family part of the castle where Sir Drevvis and his father, Baron Dolen, waited.

“Greetings, Sir Darras,” Drevvis greeted Darras warmly. “I take it you have news for us?”

“I do. Cranagh will fall by tomorrow, and the eastern road will be clear through to Miront,” Darras replied.

“Good news indeed!” Baron Dolen exclaimed. “Though no doubt there will be brigandage and banditry.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.