Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 28

Whilst the team slept, the Dwarves packed their encampment before resting. This meant that after a quick breakfast at dawn, the wagon was flanked by the Dwarves, who marched steadily up the valley, picking up lookout groups as they progressed. It did not take long before a series of clashes began between the Dwarves and Trolls, a sizeable, powerful creature, clearly a carnivore and with a skin tone that blended in well with the barren rocks dotting the road.

Fortunately, the Trolls attacked as individuals, not in groups, and the group tactics of the Dwarves fended them off with ease, with what wounded they had swiftly healed with potions, or in one case by Mirion invoking the blessing of Hallis on the felled warrior.

“Good job they don’t appear to cooperate,” Balat observed to Darras.

“Yes, if they were Orcs, we’d be in trouble,” Darras agreed, grimly smiling as two approaching Trolls spotted each other and changed direction to attack the other.

“If they were Orcs, it would be my people escorting you,” Firios commented.

“Most likely,” Darras nodded. “Neither Humans nor Dwarves would manage as well as the Elves.”

“Human horse archers might on the plains,” Tinara shrugged. “But no, not here.”

“Yes, they need room to manoeuvre.”

“How does their war in Rachtelin go?” Firios asked.

“Cranagh was directly under siege, and the King’s Council has discovered cutting through the deep trails of Saltion Forest was now off limits to them owing to Colanthus animating Fell’s body,” Darras replied. “I rather suspect the smart ones on the Council know they will lose if Cranagh falls.”

“Will they negotiate?” Demala asked.

“They may try, though I suspect Rigilo will demand justice rather than pardon the guilty.”

“Good, it means Dorlianath will not become militarily involved,” Demala nodded.

“Other than clearing the Isle of Suren, no,” Darras chuckled. “Though the Human King of Dorlianath supplies Coolos through trade.”

“King Danvas?”

“Yes,” Darras nodded.

“It seems odd having three kings,” Demala noted thoughtfully. “Though Elven Kingdoms always have two.”

“Leandomus felt Humans would best rule themselves, and Sallason, as far as I’m aware, wanted nothing to do with them,” Firios explained.

“Ah, Sallason the cursed?” Demala nodded. “Though my former master thought him to be ill-judged.”

“Erren ... Wenderos, as you know her, cursed him for twisting the precepts in her book; leading others astray is a major sin in her eyes,” Darras replied, feeling Erren’s agreement in the background.

“But ... but to turn him Human?”

“The curse turned him into that which he despised and had railed against,” Darras shrugged. “It’s not like she killed him.”

“Tranen, my former master, thought it particularly harsh.”

“He ordered me killed; I don’t think it harsh at all,” Darras chuckled.

“Ah ... yes,” Demala nodded thoughtfully.

“We ... my group escorted Darras to the Temple knowing fine well what Sallason planned,” an embarrassed-looking Firios added.

“We were fortunate Wenderos chose to forgive us.”

“Erren knew I had taken a liking to you, plus she chose only to remove the rot and admonish the leadership,” Darras explained.

“A lesson they mostly took to heart, though there are many like Tranen who begrudge the new liberalism,” Tinara added. “My husband, for one, though he has mellowed somewhat.”

“I’m glad of that, friend Tinara,” Darras smiled.

“As am I, friend Darras.”

The conversation was interrupted by the clash of another Troll, barrelling into the side of the column, only to fall to the mithril weapons of the Dwarves. These clashes continued as the column steadily made its way through the passes, and only once did the Elves have to draw their bows to aid the Dwarves as they struggled against a pack of Trolls who ignored their own and stalled the advance. However, the Trolls fell swiftly against mithril weapons, and the accuracy of the Elven bows and the column marched into the first of three base camps with only minor injuries to any of the Dwarves.

These attacks continued the following day as the party headed towards the highest part of the pass, though tapered off as they approached the base camp and the arrows of the Elven scouts still based there.

“Well met,” Firios hailed Gliron, the Elven commander, as the party got inside the fortifications.

“To you too, Firios,” the commander replied. “Glad you’re all still in one piece.”

“Commander Gliron,” Doorf greeted the Elf gruffly, if politely.

“Paladin Doorf,” Gliron replied politely. “Thank you for ensuring the safety of the servants of Wenderos, Hallis and Doriel.”

“Duty is duty, and we Dwarves understand duty,” Doorf replied.

“My Elves will travel with you on the morrow,” Gliron informed the Dwarf. “I hope this is acceptable?”

“It is,” Doorf nodded brusquely before going to speak to the Dwarf in charge of the outpost.

“That used to annoy us,” Traskis chuckled. “Now it’s just Dwarves being Dwarves.”

“Me too,” Mirion admitted. “But they have issues too, and there are still Dwarven towns I can’t go to as they will not allow me entry.”

“I take it you can go to Sorrak now?” Darras asked.

“Yes, I get many stares, but no overt hostility now.”

“Hopefully, you’ll all get on better one day,” Darras chuckled.

“Maybe,” Miriel smiled.

The trip down the valleys was without incident, the Trolls seemingly only inhabiting the eastern side of the Holloks. This meant the now large column of Dwarves, Elves and Humans made good time to the deserted city of Keelon and then to Ilmen, where the enspelled bridge across the lake was summoned. Gliron and his Elves then used the gateway, which remained open for them thanks to Erren permitting it. Darras and his group then made their way through to Erren’s domain, whilst Doorf and his Paladins began the long march to the city of Kulin in Dwarvurrin, taking the wagon and horses with them.


There, they were greeted merrily by Erren and the other gods as Challis was floated away to wherever it was, where Erren interrogated the prisoners Darras occasionally brought in.

“Well done, all of you,” Erren said to the party as they relaxed in the bathing area.

“Yes,” Hallis agreed. “Though we’re going to have to hand this Challis back.”

“Why’s that?” Amina asked.

“He’s a designated priest of the Dark Lord, and there are rules,” Doriel replied. “But we can look through his memories until our brother comes to collect him.”

“He’s on his way?” Darras asked.

“He’s remonstrating with Serulon at the moment,” Crannok chuckled. “I don’t think she’s too pleased with him bothering her.”

“Why didn’t he just come here to collect him?” Balat asked, looking confused.

“Our brother is trying to make Serulon involve the Allfather,” Pelegard explained. “The problem is that none of you are priests and wouldn’t realise this Challis is one as well.”

“We didn’t,” an amused Darras replied. “I take it our ignorance is a good defence?”

“In this case, yes,” Tsumi chuckled. “Though Serulon will investigate ... eventually.”

“Our brother’s habit of bringing every little complaint to her is backfiring,” Saltak laughed, the other gods joining in with his merriment.

“As it is, I’m fiddling a little with the time in Challis’ confinement to read through his memories; there’s a lot in there, though no indication of where this dragon or the First One is,” Erren added. “Though this First One does have a name, Casal.”

“Will your brother know you’re here if he does turn up?” Firios asked the gods.

“No,” Erren replied. “I have total control over this domain; he’s limited to the standard five senses here, though I permit Serulon a greater depth of access just to keep her happy.”

“Will we have to leave before they come ... assuming Serulon decides to turn up?” Demala asked diffidently.

“Yes, but don’t worry, there’s no rush,” Erren replied with a smile. “I control time in here, so relax and enjoy.”

“I’m surprised it was so easy,” Balat said.

“You caught them before they were ready; amongst you all, there are skills that this Challis didn’t expect,” Hallis replied. “From what we’re learning, Challis was having warbeasts brought up from Sthis to stalk the tower environs.”

“I suspect your brother and this Casal will be investigating how we learned of this,” Darras nodded thoughtfully.

“That seems likely, though as our source was Venicia, I think they’ll struggle to connect the dots,” Erren smiled.

“That’s good,” Darras chuckled.

“Anything else you need to be done soon?” Amina asked.

“Just people kept an eye on,” Erren replied. “Challis has given me several names of those involved in his machinations.”

“Possessed?”

“No, informants and spies; it will mean working in Fordel and Orcatia.”

“No problem; I assume you’ll help financially in Fordel?” Amina asked.

“I will,” Erren nodded. “If I need someone assassinated, I’ll send Darras through, though I’m hoping that won’t be necessary.”

“If circumstances warrant it, we can do that,” Amina offered.

“I can protect the soul of Darras; such acts would taint yours,” Erren explained. “Better for all concerned if Darras remains my instrument of vengeance.”

“Understood,” Amina acquiesced.

“Thank you, sister,” Crannok added.

“It’s not something I’d wish to burden them with,” Erren smiled. “Against the Black Guild, it was different; their souls were already beyond redemption; these people, whilst not innocent, aren’t truly evil.”

“And us?” Firios asked.

“Missions in Golsten, aiding Darras or scouting out what my brother and his people are doing,” Erren replied. “There may be some work for you in Rachtelin too.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.