Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 26

Balat led the group from Tirunik into the dense woodlands to the east of the town, following the road until he eventually branched off it to the north, a pathway that seemed to open up in front of him. From there, observed but not interfered with by the forest folk, the group paralleled the road as they headed east.

“Still the centre of attention, Darras,” Balat chuckled.

“Yes, not sure why; it seems that you, as the agent of Doriel, should be,” Darras replied.

“They see me occasionally when I investigate stuff for Doriel,” Balat replied.

“Even out here?”

“Yes, I negotiate between the Dryads and Goblins,” Balat informed the group.

“I take it there are issues we’re unaware of?” Firios asked. “The only times Elves run into them it’s usually a vicious fight as they try to establish new territories.”

“It’s usually for rights of passage,” Balat replied. “They aren’t smart but have learned not to trespass in the deep woods.

“Where too?” Tinara asked. “Only the north will be cut off to them, I’d imagine, as the Nordelven live there.”

“The issue for them is the Ogres in the bamboo forest, though I can’t imagine the Nordelven tolerating a migration either,” Balat chuckled. “They negotiate passage south and then west to Charag or just south into Sthis.”

“I can’t imagine either being wonderful destinations,” Traskis mused. “Charag is swampy, and Sthis is the same only with salamander warbeasts.”

“Warbeasts?” Darras asked.

“You know those chelvaks the Orcs ride?”

“Yes.”

“Think of a wild version with claws, fangs and the ability to spit a liquid that ignites as it leaves its mouth.”

“Dangerous,” Darras nodded.

“Yes, the Lizardmen tribes down there use them in a similar manner to durglin,” Traskis replied.

“Warbeasts indeed.”

“Yes, it’s a constant source of conflict on the southern border of Sthis between the Lizardmen and the Elven kingdom of Kelbadon.”

“And the Goblins migrate there?” Darras asked Balat.

“Yes, if they can gain passage through the outer woods,” Balat replied. “The Dryads aren’t too fond of them, which is why I came involved.”

“Yes, the three we met didn’t impress me either,” Darras nodded.

“Or I,” Balat laughed. “But I don’t tend to wipe out a migration root and branch at first sight.”

“Ah...”

“I don’t think they tend to survive long in Sthis or Charag, but it’s longer if I negotiate rather than the Dryads.”

“I take it the issue was fire?” Demala asked.

“Yes, they tended to leave a trail of destruction on their way south, something the Dryads won’t permit for long,” Balat replied. “They couldn’t seem to grasp the edicts of Lomarris, nor were the Dryads tolerant enough to explain clearly.”

“One of them being if you must use fire, dig a deep pit and douse it thoroughly,” Darras chuckled.

“Yes,” Balat nodded.

“It’s why I’m very much constrained in my powers in the woods,” Demala agreed. “I’m good with fire magics, but for an Elf, it’s got many limitations attached when in woodlands.”

“You’re known as a friend of Lomarris via Mesoli,” Balat replied. “Just so long as you don’t go stupid, there will be some leeway.”

“I have been practising hard with firelance to keep my power focussed.”

“Lomarris knows this, don’t worry.”

The hidden path the group were on followed natural contours and remained level throughout its length. Balat also warned when they were to cross regular trails, though the group saw no other travellers. The tower was soon spotted as the party moved through the woods, the Elves’ farstriding ability shortening the distance massively. However, Darras was somewhat confused by the tower’s appearance.

“Why build a lighthouse in the middle of a country?” He finally asked out loud, feeling Erren’s amusement in the background.

“Lighthouse?” Balat asked, though the rest of the group, who had seen the sea at the siege of Drannos, looked questioningly at Darras.

“In my world, that’s what they were known as; a light was placed at the top to guide ships into a harbour at night,” Darras explained.

“I don’t think this is for that,” Amina replied thoughtfully.

“True,” Darras chuckled. “It’s just that’s what it looks like to me exactly.”

“It does have a twin on the far eastern shore known as the Tower of Dawn,” Tinara added. “According to old records, anyway.”

It’s nothing to do with guiding ships, ’ Erren explained. ‘It’s supposed to be a place where prayer can be said closer to us gods.

“You live in the sky?” Darras chuckled.

No, silly, you know we don’t, ’ Erren replied with a tinkling laugh. ‘But that was the belief at one time on Golsten.

Darras explained what Erren had informed him of, getting nods from the Elves and looks of amusement from Balat and the thieves.

“Wasn’t widespread, if at all, in the west,” Firios added. “But there are a few places in the east with towers and pyramids.”

“Not that we know who built the pyramids,” Demala replied. “Elves build towers if they are going to build.”

“Erren says it was Humans, though their kingdoms didn’t last, and they mostly were migrating west,” Darras explained.

“Lot of effort to leave things like that behind,” Amina chuckled.

“Driven out by the Golden Empire,” Firios replied. “Emperor Harranis wanted Golsten to be purely Elven.”

“Ah,” Nemmos nodded. “So he moved us all east to Keelem to keep a better eye on us?”

“It’s a shameful tale of past evil,” an embarrassed-looking Tinara explained. “Many Elves hold up the Golden Empire as the pinnacle of civilisation, though in reality, if you weren’t an Elf or were somewhat different, such as the Dark Kin, it was not such a pleasant place to live.”

“We ... the Elves here, were taught to believe it,” Firios added. “It wasn’t until Darras spoke to the Dark Kin and learned the truth of their sacred blade that Harranis opened the annals of Harranis and the Empire that the real truth started to come out.”

“This is true,” Mirion nodded. “Hallis confirms it.”

“Many Elven Kingdoms still refuse to believe it,” Traskis replied. “It has caused issues for Dorlianath.”

“Nothing serious, I hope?” Darras asked.

“Academic, mostly, but also diplomatic, too,” Traskis replied.

“A refusal to send students to the University,” Tinara added. “Though intake is still up from non-Elvish countries.”

“What of Gilvarion? Darras enquired, knowing the former seat of Emperor Harranis’ throne was regarded as the be-all and end-all of Elvish history.”

“They remain silent, though they continue to send the annals of the former Empire for study and students as well,” Firios replied.

“Tacit approval, I suspect,” Darras nodded.

“Yes, Priest-King Harinas believes so,” Fiirios nodded. “It’s why the dispute, such as it is, remains low-key.”

“No doubt Wenderos is dealing with it,” Darras replied, feeling Erren’s background agreement.

“Most likely, though the likes of us aren’t involved,” Demala chuckled.

“We’re getting close, silence is called for,” Balat warned the group.

“Take a look, my friends,” Darras asked the Elven scouts. “The rest of us will wait at the wood’s edge.”

The Elves swiftly moved ahead, gliding silently into the woods ahead of the party. Balat led the Humans and Miriel to a small clearing near the edge where the wagon was parked, and an encampment began. It wasn’t long until Tinara returned, reporting much activity around the tower, though currently, they did not appear to be aware of the early arrival of Darras.

“Ogres mostly,” Tinara concluded. “This is good news as their eyesight and hearing are not great.”

“So we can avoid them?” Amina asked.

“I believe so,” Tinara nodded.

“Best time?” Darras asked,

“After dark, Ogres are not nocturnal.”

“We’ll be ready,” Darras replied, seeing agreement from Amina.

The sun was fully below the horizon when the party, guided by the Elves, slipped out of the woods and made their way to the complex of buildings surrounding the tower. Unlike the Elven towns they’d passed through, there was no sign of the preservation and avoidance spell in play. Though sturdily built, the buildings were in some disrepair and scrawled with various symbols that Demala called runes.

“Magic symbols?” Darras asked.

“No,” Demala replied. “More to do with ownership and the worship of the Dark Lord.”

“And quite often obscene,” Mirion added.

“That too,” Demala agreed.

“Take your word for it,” Darras chuckled. “Erren allowed me to understand and speak all languages, not read them.”

“You aren’t missing much, believe me.”

“True,” Mirion replied with a thin smile.

So long as they aren’t detecting us in some way, I can manage,” Darras smiled.

“They aren’t, not yet.”

“Ah, priestly in nature?” Darras asked.

“Yes, I suspect they’d be a formidable defence if they were expecting us.”

“Quiet now, there are guards of some kind ahead,” Firios warned. “Goblins.”

This ended the conversation, and the party slipped carefully through the darkness, knowing the Goblins were well-suited as night guards as their eyesight, hearing, and skin sensitivity made them supreme trackers in that environment.

The Goblins, however, were not currently guarding any approach to the tower but were congregated in a square where they were singing and feasting along with what appeared to be some orgy, though this was only confirmed to Darras by Erren. This enabled the group to reach the Tower’s entrance unseen and undetected. “The door, however, was barred from the inside, though this did not stop the thieves from climbing up to a lower window and accessing the building that way, descending and opening the door for the rest of the group.

“We’ll remain outside,” Firios stated. “Take Mirion with you, and we’ll signal if anything is amiss with our warning whistles.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.