Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 22

Darras smiled as Erren informed him of the separation of the shadows from the possessed. This meant that tonight, he would go hunting without the worry of someone spotting him removing the shadow from a body.

It won’t be easy, ’ Erren warned.

“I know, just easier, plus I learned a few tricks from Amina ... or rather you did and passed them on to me.”

You still won’t have the experience.

“True, but I’ll have your help,” Darras chuckled.

That you will, my love. That you will,

Darras then completed his visits, causing no more ‘incidents’ though naturally keeping on his guard as shadows were not the only issue. Fortunately, the enclosed nature of the quarter and the number of guards kept the numbers of petty thieves and muggers low, though Darras had no doubt there were some.

Once night fell, Darras could slip from his room and leave Caville’s house easily enough, ensuring he could return when ready. Then the hunt began...

The first target was within a large townhouse, and Darras could easily scale an outer wall and land lightly within the well-tended grounds. Once there, Darras moved silently in the shadows to a rear entrance and, with Erren’s aid, silently forced the lock by using his blade to push the hasp back. Inside, Darras used his senses to move swiftly and silently through the house to the basement, where his senses told him the shadow was hiding.

Darras soon found the creature within a storeroom and despatched it quickly before slipping away from the townhouse and back onto the streets. He then made his way to the next target, avoiding the few patrols before reaching a well-lit house that would make approaching without being seen difficult.

It’s only the outside, ’ Erren confirmed.

“Yep, but getting in unobserved is going to be tricky,” Darras replied whilst moving to the rear of the building.

You can approach now; a patrol has just passed.

“Thank you, my love,” Darras murmured as he hurried to what had to be a tradesman’s entrance, finding it, to his surprise, unlocked.

It was alarmed, but I disabled it, ’ Erren giggled. ‘No telling Serulon.

“Of course not,” Darras chuckled before slipping into the house.

There’s more than one, ’ Erren warned.

“Good, let us teach them to fear us,” Darras replied grimly.

Not for too long; you’ll need your sleep.

Darras then began to stalk the shadows dwelling within the house silently. He first dealt with the individuals who appeared to be on guard, though that was only a presumption on his and Erren’s part. This Darras did with a combination of speed and stealth, ensuring no warnings could be given as he dealt with the creatures one by one.

The ones left know something is wrong, but not what, ’ Erren informed Darras.

“They appear to be somewhere above us.”

Yes, the attic, ’ Erren agreed. ‘Be careful.

“As ever,” Darras chuckled.

The attic space appeared to have been turned into living quarters for serving staff, though currently were empty of all but shadows, according to Erren. This enabled Darras to pad silently down a narrow corridor, looking for the room he presumed they were hiding in.

In here, ’ Erren said. ‘There’s one behind the door with a club.

Darras pulled the hood of his armour over his head, relying on the mithril chain mail and plates inside the padded leather to protect his head as he pulled the door open to take on the shadows. Despite the expected blow to the head, Darras was able to grab the club-wielding shadow by the throat and prevent the other shadows within the room from leaving easily. Several did, however, attempt to slip through gaps in the floorboards, though, in this, Darras could move against them as the club wielder collapsed and dissipated. This caused signs of panic amongst them as they realised they were trapped by the one they had come to fear as a monster. Nor could they escape; Darras dealt swiftly with any attempt to flow through any gap and used his free arm to bat away any who tried to escape past him to the door.

It was soon over. None of the shadows escaped, though Darras did notice a scrying stone still glowing and figured he’d been observed.

Let’s look, ’ Erren requested.

“You sure?”

Yes, I can protect you from anything they can try from it.

“OK.”

Darras walked over to the scryer and gazed at the screen, initially seeing nothing until a dark lizard-like head finally resolved from the flickering glow. Darras recognised the Ubaid from an earlier viewing and smiled slightly.

“Well, you’re out of time and place,” Darras finally said after almost a minute.

“You look different, agent of a weak goddess,” the Ubaid hissed.

“A necessity,” Darras shrugged. “Enabled me to come to Sulimas and kill off your minions without giving them warning.”

“You are marked for death; sooner or later, we will destroy you.”

“Not impressed so far,” Darras chuckled. “How’s your boss, the first one?”

“He is where you cannot touch him.”

“Yet.”

“Such hubris.”

“It comes from experience,” Darras shrugged. “After all, you didn’t spot me in Ventris as I observed you and then destroyed your invading creatures, not even when you made a personal appearance.”

“So that was you,” the Ubaid snarled.

“It was.”

“When we capture you, I’ll ensure you die in torment over an extended period.”

“Been there, done that, it’s nothing to fear.”

“So, you are resurrected?”

“Yes.”

“Interesting; I’m sure my master will want to know.”

“He already does, if you’re referring to the Dark Lord.”

The Ubaid said nothing, its eyes simply glittering with malice.

“Do you have a name? It seems a bit rude just thinking of you by your race.” Darras asked, prompted by Erren.

“You can call me Challis; no doubt we will meet again during your torture.”

“Careful what you wish for, Challis,” Darras chuckled. “Better than you have tried and failed.”

“And your name?”

“It’s Darras, though I suspect you already knew that.”

“I did; I simply wished to see if you would lie to me.”

“That would be rude,” Darras chuckled.

“We will meet again, Darras.”

“No doubt we will, Challis,” Darras replied as the scryer stopped working.

Well done, my love, ’ Erren congratulated Darras.

“Get what you were hoping for?”

Yes, I know where this Challis currently is.

“Can I get to him?”

Not now, though I can track him if he uses a scryer.

Darras remained silent, knowing this Challis would likely be somewhere where it would be hazardous for Darras and his teams to go. Trusting Erren to let him know when it was time, Darras slipped from the house and made his way towards his next target.

They’re moving, ’ Erren warned.

“Looks like Challis sent out a message,” Darras chuckled.

Yes, won’t help them, though, as you’re still too dangerous for them.

“True.”

Darras hurried through the streets, feeling the presence of the shadows growing ever stronger. Despite avoiding patrols, Darras eventually caught up with the group before they reached the exit to the sealed quarter and scattered them as he brought one down.

From there, despite the dark, Darras became a relentless hunter, his strength and speed rapidly chasing down and eliminating his prey until finally it was done.

“I assume some got away?” Darras asked.

Yes, though you got the stronger ones, ’ Erren replied.

“That will have to do for now.”

Yes, get some sleep, my love; finish your tasks tomorrow and then come home to me.


“This agent of the weak goddess has wrecked our mission in Asul,” Challis informed the enthroned one.

“Curses!” the enthroned one snarled. “How did it get to the scales?”

“It appears you erred by ordering them to leave the possessed; it left them vulnerable to its presence in the same manner it dealt with the encampments,” Challis replied, carefully masking his glee at seeing the enraged, enthroned one.

“Did we learn anything?”

“I spoke to it, though other than learning this goddess can change its appearance, there was little to learn.”

“It appears we need to reconsider our efforts against this agent; it is far too dangerous to be permitted to live.”

“Every trap we’ve laid has failed or been ignored,” Challis replied. “What do you suggest?”

“The temple in Chezruul.”

“Is that wise? One of the Dark Lord’s few altars is in that edifice.”

“I believe enticing this agent will justify the risk.”


Darras felt the underlying tiredness melt away once he entered Erren’s domain. There was no sign of Erren, though Darras knew she was about and figured she had visitors. Darras made his way to the bathing area and slipped into the water, unsurprised when a flagon of chilled ale floated over to help him quench his thirst. A little while later, Darras heard voices, and Erren appeared with a stranger to Darras’s eyes.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.