Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 19

“What brings the mountain folk to Rossaris?” Darras asked after he’d introduced himself to the Dwarves.

“Trade, naturally,” their leader Druman replied. “We believe the Humans in Rachtelin might be interested in weapons.”

“Ah, you’re from Gomesh,” Darras replied, recognising the accent.

“Yes, the Dwarven Realm stole a march upon our people by supporting Rossaris in its liberation of Thenarron,” Druman replied. “We seek to offer our wares for comparison.”

“I’ve had good reports on the arms your people in Brandisil supply, though also a few complaints about Dwerronag,” Darras chuckled as the Dwarves laughed.

“They are a laughing stock now,” Druman replied in a rumbling laugh. “They should have remained silent about the Human in the well.”

“True, instead they chose to hunt the man and announced to the world what had happened,” Darras nodded. “Still, so long as they do not cause trouble for others.”

“No more than usual.”

“Elves behaving themselves?” Darras asked.

“They are. We were somewhat cautious when we entered Diriona, but generally, they have been polite, other than curiosity.”

“Curiosity is no crime,” Darras nodded.

“Indeed not,” The Dwarf agreed. “We also picked up a few orders for armour for their elite regiment and bow tips in mithril.”

“A good market,” Darras replied. “So long as both sides profit.”

“True,” Druman nodded. “What do you know of the war in Rachtelin?”

“The forces of King Rigilo dominate,” Darras replied thoughtfully. “He controls the east of the River Rachtele, but also Sinoris to the south and Coolos to the northwest.”

“And this King’s Council?”

“I believe they are consolidating the centre and moving to prevent a siege of Cranagh in the North before Rigilo cuts off easy trade with Fordel.”

“Hmm, as we’d heard,” Druman replied. “Whilst we Dwarven folk have little interest in Human wars, even we have heard of Fordelian greed.”

“Yes, they can be grasping,” Darras agreed. “Though they still ship through Rachtelin itself, all bulk goods now must come via Banat in Torgillon and shipped across Lake Turil.”

“No fighting around Sinoris?”

“None now; the raids have stopped as Tolner lost too many men.”

“Ah, these mounted archers we heard Rigilo used?”

“Yes, something the King’s Council still refuses to do,” Darras nodded.

“Suspect it’s a bit late for that now,” Druman replied with a rumbling laugh.

“True,” Darras agreed.

The following morning, Darras set off early, bidding the Dwarves a farewell in their heavily laden carts before the horse ate up the miles towards the low hills that made up the border.

Traffic was heavy in both directions as trade between the two realms was now in full swing after Rigilo lifted the restrictions on Elven trade, or rather permitting Elves to cross the border to trade. This meant merchants from Rosarris actively looking for markets within Rachtelin and purchasing and selling at market prices, not the fixed prices the King’s Council had enforced to favour themselves and the Fordelian merchants.

Crossing the border was simple; the border post was manned, but the people within were uninterested in anything other than that traffic was counted and kept moving. The road itself led directly to Sinoris, home of Earl Ordetas. Darras paid a ten-copper entry fee and went through the town to the outer gate at the castle walls. Once there, Darras handed over his standing invitation permit and was waved through, though a rider galloped ahead of him, no doubt to warn the Earl.

“Sir Darras, good of you to visit; I hope your visit does not mean disaster approaches,” Darras was hailed merrily by Earl Ordetas.

“No, my Lord,” Darras smiled. “Simply a visit to gift Lady Rienne and for Erren to bless her daughter.”

“Ah, well, welcome, my friend.”

“My thanks,” Darras replied before being introduced to the Ordetas’ wife and what family were resident.

Darras was then escorted to a private wing of Sinoris castle, where Rienne was residing and found her, along with several ladies, including Ginoe and Bisan, poring over various maps and documents.

“Darras, my friend,” Rienne greeted him joyfully. “A pleasure to see you as ever.”

“Greetings, Rienne, you look busy,” Darras replied.

“We are,” Rienne nodded. “Mostly, it’s sorting out the mess left behind by the customs agents of the King’s Council and ensuring the correct taxes are applied.”

“I assume they were over-taxing?”

“On most, not all, however,” Rienne replied. “Those they weren’t were often enough ardent supporters of the Council.”

“I take it they fled when the Earl gained control over his demesne?” Darras asked.

“Currently, the farms and manors are being held by the Earl in absentia until Rigilo begins appointing and bestowing titles.”

“How is Jertin?” Darras asked.

“Still in Alvastros, I believe,” Rienne replied. “Though with the pulling back of forces from Tolner, he may be out scouting.”

He is out scouting, as is Count Alros, ’ Erren confirmed. ‘Both are quite healthy, though they miss their families.

Darras passed the message on, delighting the ladies, before requesting to see Aran, Rienne’s daughter.

“This way,” Rienne indicated. “She’ll be in the nursery with Aljer.”

Rienne led the way, accompanied by a lady in waiting. She eventually opened a door that led into a bright, colourfully decorated room where a maid sat reading a tale to several children, including Aljer, Rienne and Jertins’s son.

“Relax, Amar, carry on with your duties,” Rienne ordered the maid, who had risen to curtsey upon Rienne’s entry. “Here she is,” Rienne indicated to Darras.

“My blessing upon you, Aran, daughter of Jertin and Rienne,” Erren’s voice came from Darras’s mouth. “Your life will be filled with joy and happiness.”

“All praise to Erren,” Rienne responded thankfully.

“And this is for the young lady,” Darras added, handing over a beautifully stitched soft toy doll to Rienne. “Erren made it herself, for Aran.”

“It’s beautiful,” Rienne replied.

“Erren enjoys making them.”

“Thank you,” Rienne replied. “How long are you staying?”

“Just overnight,” Darras replied. “I’m off to Alvastros in the morning.”

“Could you take letters?”

“Of course, Rienne, from any who wants one delivered.”

“I’ll let Bisan and Ginoe know,” Rienne replied. “I take it you have an additional task from Erren?”

“Dealing with a spy for the King’s Council, though the main reason is he’s also possessed,” Darras replied.

“Ah, I see,” Rienne nodded. “In Alvastros itself?”

“No, outside, though passing on information on troop movements.”

“Would you have left him alone if he wasn’t possessed?” Rienne asked, frowning.

“If he weren’t possessed, you’d have caught him,” Darras explained.

“Ah, I see,” Rienne nodded.

“Erren will not directly interfere as it draws other gods into doing similar. She will counter their efforts against Rigilo’s people, however.”


The following morning, a well-rested Darras set off for Alvastros with a pouch full of letters from the ladies of Alvastros to their men. Darras also had an official ‘eyes only’ letter from Earl Ordetas to Count Alros that he did not wish to be sent by scryer, as he suspected the King’s Council was somehow tapping into his network. This Erren confirmed to Darras, though she mentioned that this was being done magically, and the Earl could not do anything about it. This Darras passed on to him, and Ordetas nodded sagely and stated that he’d only use couriers from now on for important messages.

The road was good, and the weather improved as Darras progressed. Nor were there any signs of devastation indicating the King’s Council had despoiled the land. This Erren confirmed, and Darras was informed that only the lands around Alvastros had been wrecked as part of the siege.

This Darras observed when he finally approached Alvastros from the south. Massive abandoned earthworks marred the landscape, including what appeared to be an effort to divert the River Alva away from the castle. There was no sign of the forces under Tolner and Tremina, though there seemed to be much activity near the road as the locals, who had returned to the land, were clearing away the countervallations. The road was also constantly patrolled, primarily by mounted archers commanded by a single knight. However, there was no interference with travellers as the patrols seemed more interested in tracking down a few reported Tolner stragglers than the merchant traffic.

Darras was recognised by the gate guard at the castle and was told to go straight up to the keep, though, as with Sinoris, a rider was sent ahead to warn Count Alros of Darras’s visit.

“Sir Darras, a pleasure to see you,” Darras was greeted by the Count, who stood next to Jertin.

“A pleasure to be here, Count Alros,” Darras replied. “I bring mail from your wife, daughter and sister. Also, a dispatch from Earl Ordetas.”

“Good to see you, my friend,” Jertin greeted Darras.

“You too,” Jertin. “Rienne sends her love and a letter, too.”

“Are you here on business, Darras?” Jertin enquired.

“Sadly, yes,” Darras replied. “Though it will likely not impinge upon your work here.”

“One of those shadows?” Alros asked.

“Yes, it possesses a spy for the King’s Council,” Darras replied. “Also, I’m to warn you that your scrying system is compromised.”

“I’ve suspected that for over a week now,” Alros nodded. “I’ll send a rider to warn the King.”

“Any idea who is looking in on our messaging?” Jertin asked.

“Erren told me it was being done magically, so no specific name, sorry,” Darras replied.

“A pity,” Jertin nodded as Alros indicated for Darras to enter the keep.

“How went your war?” Darras enquired of both men.

“Boring, for the most part,” Alros chuckled. “We were under siege for most of it, at least until the King made his move and forced a retreat by Tolner and Tremina by breaking the Royal Army.”

“Yes, I was helping scout then,” Darras nodded. “I escorted the Royals back to Torgel, where they guard the town under their parole.”

“Ah yes, a great victory,” Alros nodded.

“More like lions versus lambs,” Darras replied. “They did not cope with the arrow storm any too well.”

“True enough,” Jertin agreed. “We saw similar when our patrols pursued stragglers.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.