Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 18

Demala was the first of the Elves to return, bringing news that Fell had been located.

“His main base of operations is a watchtower overlooking the Orcatian border, but he also controls the road to Cranagh,” She informed Darras and Balat.

“Other side of the river,” Darras nodded. “Blocking Miront from advancing towards Cranagh with the siege train.”

“Yes,” Demala replied.

“Is there anything we can do?” Balat asked as Demala slipped away to continue scouting.

“Unless he comes out, no, other than killing his men as they attempt to scorch the earth,” Darras replied.

He’s playing it smart, Colanthus knows I’ll come after him, ’ Erren added.

“Guess that’s what we do then,” Balat replied after Darras passed the message on.

A series of ambushes on Fell’s men unfolded as Darras’s group took every opportunity to harass and kill them as they burned villages and drove their people out. Nor were Fell’s men successful in tracking the Elves down, as their concealment talents and range were second to none. Darras and Balat kept to the woods and targeted any who approached them, using the hidden paths to avoid any pursuit. Fell naturally tried changing tactics, though, to no avail. The Elves were too skilled to be caught out by pursuit, and any group that thought they had them cornered were soon ambushed themselves from an unexpected direction.

It’s working. Fell’s men can’t cope with the attrition, and their morale is sinking, ’ Erren informed Darras. ‘They thought they had an easy task, but despite numbers, they keep losing their people to ambushes.

“Good, let’s hope he comes out to play,” Darras replied.

The siege train is currently stalled in Tungeld as Rigilo’s forces secure control of the East.

“Necessary,” Darras nodded. “It needs to be secure to attack Cranagh, and that’s what this Fell is up to, forcing long supply lines that he and others intend to raid.”

Ah...

“It’s what my men did to the Trenichans,” Darras elaborated. “It slowed them down, but that’s all.”

“There’s much activity near the watchtower,” Tinara reported as she approached.

“Good,” Darras nodded. “I think he’s going to cut and run.”

“Maybe, but he might just be hoping to entice us into confronting him openly,” Tinara replied with a frown.

Darras quickly checked his map before shaking his head in disagreement. “Whilst I doubt he knows he faces Elves, there’s no real open ground where he could do something like that.”

“So, we allow him to retreat?”

“Until he crosses the bridge,” Darras replied. “We’ll spring an ambush of our own then.”

“Ah, where he has to pass through the woods?”

“Yes, the cover there and the forest folk will help,” Darras nodded, seeing Balat give a nod of his own.

“He’ll likely be expecting it.”

“Won’t help him,” Balat chuckled. “The forest folk will glamour him into heading deeper in.”

“Smart,” Tinara nodded. “Will Colanthus warn him, though?”

“It’s possible,” Balat replied thoughtfully. “However, the odds are against it as it will appear to be a shortcut.”

“Very well,” Darras nodded. “We’ll see what we can do to make life difficult for him.”

With the aid of Tinara, Darras and Balat, they were moved swiftly to an area where they could observe the bridge. There, Darras carefully watched several men beginning to weaken its structure.

“That needs to be stopped,” Darras informed the group before drawing his bow.

The Elves spread out, drawing their bows and loosed arrows towards the men on the bridge, causing many to topple and sounds of alarm to be yelled. Several knights rode up and immediately spurred their horses towards Darras, though they were forced to take cover when the Elven mithril-tipped arrows quickly took four down.

The bridge had become a choke point for Fell’s company, though they gradually gained enough numbers to force a crossing and attempt to close with Darras and the Elves. Balat had moved deeper into the woods and communicated with the local nymphs as a trap was prepared. Fell began an advance on foot towards the edge of the woods as Darras and the Elves fell back deeper within them, keeping up a constant rate of fire.

Using the restricted vision he now thought his foes had, Fell ordered a mounted charge, forcing the group deeper into the woods, though not before costing Fell three more knights. Once there and able to use their shields, Fell ordered a dismounted advance, only for the knights to be thrown back as the Elven natural ability with their bows caused more casualties.

It’s working, ’ Erren informed Darras. ‘He’s reacting, not thinking.

“Good, still an awful lot of them, though,” Darras replied.

I know, but the deeper they force you in, the more help you’ll have.

“He’s bringing up his magic user to shield his forces by making them harder to spot,” Demala informed Darras as she crept up.

“Interesting,” Darras nodded. “Is he exposed?”

“Yes, but out of range.”

“Of your magic?”

“No, but I don’t want to use fire magic here as the grounds are too dry; it might cause a conflagration,” Demala explained.

“Pity, but yes, understandable.”

Demala ghosted away to another firing position as Balat crept up. “They’re advancing carefully,” he informed Darras.

“I think Fell knows we’re small in numbers now,” Darras nodded. “Will he simply force us away and continue his retreat or try to wipe us out?”

“If he’s under the influence of Colanthus, it will likely be an attempt to close,” Balat replied. “Otherwise, he’ll face harassment again and again.”

“Probably, depends on if Colanthus is directly involved,” Darras agreed.

“Just glad they haven’t got horse archers.”

“Yep, we couldn’t do this if they did.”

“Is it a blind spot?” Balat asked.

“In a sense, but Fell would have no use for archers in his burning of resources and men at arms who sometimes do use bows would be all but useless to him as he wasn’t holding the ground.”

“The nymph observing reports they are preparing for an advance at speed, hoping to catch us by surprise,” Balat warned.

Darras took out the silent whistle he used to warn the Elves and gave three short blasts. This was a signal to be aware of an enemy advance and to move around it if possible.

“It’s working,” Balat informed Darras. “Our friends are clear, and the nymph has located their magic user.”

“Anyone got a shot?”

“No, though Tinara might if they rush forward.”

“Can someone let her know?”

“I’ll try; the forest folk are still evasive of others unless commanded by Dryads or Doriel.”

“Understood,” Darras nodded.

There was a loud yell as the knights under Fell rushed forward to where they hoped to catch their tormentors. The Elves, however, had slipped to the side, apart from Firios, who had moved further back and was constantly sniping at Fell’s men, giving the impression of a retreat. Chaos ensued when the other three Elves, aided by Darras and Balat, struck the advance flanks.

“Tinara got the magic user,” Balat informed Darras.

“Good, now hopefully Demala can do something,” Darras nodded.

At first, a slight mist appeared from the ground but soon became choking smoke that forced the knights crouching to seek shelter behind trees. Several were struck down when they did so as a retreat began. This, however, was hampered by the forest folk who used their arts to confuse the direction of the retreat, causing the now-confused knights to head deeper into the woods.

Careful, Fell calls upon Colanthus, ’ Erren warned.

“What can he do?” Darras asked.

Possibly mark your location.

“Not good; there are still seventy of them.”

I can guide your aim to hit Fell; it’s unlikely to kill him, though,

“Please, my love.”

With Erren’s help, Darras loosed an arrow powerfully into the air towards where the knights were still moving. Though hearing nothing, Darras felt Erren’s satisfaction, confirming the hit. The results soon appeared in a scattering of the knights as Fell’s control over them faltered. These the Elves ignored, concentrating their fire on the central group as Darras ghosted forward to where he could deal with the main threat.

Doriel’s people are guiding the running knights back towards the river crossing, ’ Erren informed Darras. ‘I don’t think they’ll like what’s there, though, as Miront has sent a flying column to seize the bridge.

“Good, looks like we only have a hard core of resistance here,” Darras nodded. “Take a priest of yours with Miront gave the Earl a heads up?”

Yes, they are mostly mounted Archers, but enough to take and hold the bridge, ’ Erren replied. ‘Oh, Fell is wounded and can only give directions, though Colanthus is healing him somewhat.

“Is Colanthus aware of what he faces?”

I don’t think so, ’ Erren replied thoughtfully. ‘Fell is a warrior, not a magic user.

“Good, as I doubt the appearance of Elves would play well as yet.”

Rigilo approved a request to open full trade between Rossaris and Sinoris. It caused uproar in the King’s Council, but not in the east where the Council expected a revolt.

“Cheaper than Fordel, I expect,” Darras chuckled before aiming and loosing an arrow at an exposed knight.

Very much so, ’ Erren agreed. ‘No customs fees for either side.

“Wait till word spreads,” Darras nodded. “I expect Coolos to ask for something similar with the Forest Kingdom.”

There already is with the Human part of it, though the customs fees have yet to be removed.

“Smugglers paradise.”

Yes, ’ Erren agreed. ‘Though they have to be careful as there’s a lot of raids and counter-raids going on north of Coolos.

“I expect a direct threat to Cranagh to end that,” Darras replied.

Probably, but get ready; Fell is about to fight his way out with the help of Colanthus.

Darras blew one long and two short blasts on the silent whistle to warn the Elves, knowing Doriel would inform Balat and her nymphs. Over fifty knights charged silently from their cover positions, heading directly to where their horses were tethered. Or rather, where they had been tethered as Balat and several nymphs had already dealt with the men at arms guarding them and led them away. Darras, Firios, Tinara, Traskis and Demala loosed their arrows in the rush, causing several to fall and likely die in the choking smoke if they were only wounded. Nor was there any attempt to save those who were. Ruthless as it was, the plan looked to succeed, as the Elves could not shoot enough of them. This was until they suddenly found themselves entangled in the undergrowth, slowing their progress immensely. The end came quickly after that, despite cries for quarter, the Elves and Darras ruthlessly cut them down until only Fell was left standing, per Darras’s orders.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.