Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 16

“The question is, what do we do about Bimmlat? Hallis asked. “Granted, he’s no Colanthus, but he is well established in the Dwarven realms on Golsten.”

“I’ll have my people keep an eye on them,” Pelegard replied. “I’m thought to be neutral ... for the moment.”

“I rather suspect that state of affairs won’t last long,” Doriel replied. “Questions are being asked about why you gave Darras shelter in Dushik.”

“And turn away a customer who paid in gold?” Klavin chuckled, making Pelegard grin.

“That may suffice on the surface, but you know our brother.”

“True,” Pelegard nodded. “Plus, there’s also the healing thing you pulled in Lamdri.”

“Yes, our brother may have a poor grasp of how we others go about things, but he is relentless until he has the answers he seeks,” Erren agreed.

“So, give him a few answers,” Darras replied. “Send me on a couple of missions where these shadows are making a potential nuisance of themselves in areas where his allies are strong.”

“And make it look like you had help from their followers?” Doriel asked.

“It should be possible,” Erren nodded slowly. “Certainly, we could sow some seeds of confusion.”

“There is the possibility of doing this in Pellach,” Crannok informed the gods.

“Say on,” Osruit replied for all.

“There is a temple of Darmela there, serving the merchant quarter; that said, they are not hardliners and generally get on well with other groups,” Crannok explained.

“I’m aware of them,” Erren nodded.

“Remember the mission in which Darras freed the King’s mistress?”

“Yes, though she’s not been targeted again as we won in Thenarron.”

“Have a follower of Bimmlat come across some correspondence detailing the Darmelans warning to the King of the strange behaviour at times of Lady Mirelle.”

“Could be interesting, though I doubt it’s enough to cause major worries for our brother,” Doriel replied.

“Start slowly; I’ll get Amina and her people to drop odd hints here and there indicating that his so-called allies may have their own agendas.”

“Hmm, yes,” Erren agreed. “Keep it low key and seemingly the actions of individuals, but gradually forming a web of contrary intelligence.”

“Precisely, sister, these things, if they are to be done well, take time,” Crannok nodded.

“It’s only putting off the inevitable,” Doriel added.

“Yes,” Erren agreed. “Tsumi, what of the use of the transfer circles?”

“Nothing since the fall of Thenarron,” Tsumi replied. “I suspect they know they are compromised, somehow.”

“Or they only use them for important missions,” Darras pointed out. “At the moment, they are running me ragged using gateways.”

“That’s true,” Tsumi nodded. “It’s not as if they can use them easily.”

“I detect them using gateways, but, for all I can delay them, I can’t prevent them using them,” Erren replied. “Well, not without causing issues with others.”

“Shame we have no one else capable of dealing with a shadow,” Hallis nodded.


“The scales working in Dankar have been eliminated,” the dark figure informed the enthroned one.

“Disappointing; what of our agreement with the weak god Bimmlat?”

“His priests attempted to kill the agent but failed when the petty king interfered in the process at the instigation of the agent of Pelegard.”

“Why would they interfere?”

“It is known the two groups mutually loathe each other.”

“Can we take advantage of this?” the enthroned one asked.

“Not anywhere significant to us.”

“I see,” the enthroned one nodded. “I am fast concluding that the other weak gods are forming a tentative alliance against us, no matter what our master believes.”

“Our master has allies, yet he believes others don’t?”

“He believes them weak and ignorant.”

“Yet this agent kills the scales with impunity?”

“He does, and we are to kill him if we catch him.”

“We have tried that many times, always to fail,” the dark figure stated. “Has he any suggestions on how we go about this?”

“No, he simply orders and expects obedience.”

“Yet he believes the other gods are weak and ignorant?”

“He does.”

“We have precious few creatures who can openly enter Human, Elven or Dwarven lands,” the dark figure mused. “I will plan for an incident in a Lizardmen kingdom and unleash one of our predators.”

“Do so, though I doubt success will follow.”


“I have a mission for you, my love,” Erren informed Darras.

Yes?” Darras asked.

“There appears to be a shadow operating in Caragryth again. It’s likely a trap as they’ve more or less been quite open in their communications about it.”

“They suspect you listen in?”

“They do, though they aren’t certain,” Erren admitted.

“Won’t this give you away?”

“Yes, though there is other evidence uncovered by Tiruk, which is from where you’ll approach it.”

“Interesting,” Darras nodded. “What evidence?”

“Crannok is trying to gain a foothold there as the guider of destiny, though not with great success so far,” Erren replied. “He does, however, now have a small shrine in a village outside of Chassal, and the acolyte there heard a rumour about an encampment deep in the swamplands where invisible spirits abound.”

“Yes, well worth a look,” Darras nodded. “Do we have directions?”

“Yes, though you’ll need to ask the acolyte, just to leave evidence it wasn’t the scrying stones that gave them away.”

“True, plus there’s the danger of their primitive types seeing me as a meal,” Darras nodded.

“Yes, I’ve asked Harinas to permit Firios and his party to help you,” Erren replied. “Permission from Leandomus was given as things have now settled in Rachtelin as the Elves withdrew from the Isle of Turil after removing the forces of Cranagh.”

“No doubt the King’s Council objected to Elves on the Isle,” Darras chuckled.

“They did, though, were ignored as all know where Cranagh’s force embarked from.”

“I assume they are somewhat in disarray?”

“They are, but still believe they’ll win, even though they are now cut off from Fordel in the North,” Erren replied, projecting a map.

“I’m assuming their aid from Fordel is coming in via Burral?”

“Yes, via Trasgel,” Erren nodded. “Rigilo is looking to isolate Cranagh and secure the north and east, whilst the King’s Council will be reduced to a rump holding the south and west.”

“He’ll probably succeed,” Darras replied. “He may not take the castle, but he can certainly isolate it.”

“That’s his plan, though he’s now moving Miront’s siege train west.”

“How come Caragryth’s so warm, it’s in the north?” Darras asked, changing the subject.

“Volcanic activity under the surface, the land was once a gigantic volcano, though all that remains is the caldera lake in the middle.”

“Wow, it must have been huge,” Darras replied.

“It was; it caused an early extinction event ending the reign of the giant lizards.”

“Allowed the rise of those you call the first ones?”

“No. It was a couple of cycles before that, though it did allow their prehistoric ancestors to begin the process of rising.”

“I take it the first ones weren’t the first great civilisation of the past?” Darras asked.

“That’s right, but they were the first to reach the ability to use magic fully.”

“Use it and misuse it,” Darras replied. “Judging by some of the artefacts they left behind.”

“It was a different age, my love,” Erren smiled. “I doubt you’d have liked me very much at that time either.”

“Yes, you’ve mentioned you and the others were somewhat different,” Darras nodded.

“In a sense, we’re somewhat shaped by the societies we watch over,” Erren explained. “The first ones were paranoid, apt to violence towards any other groups seen as different and conscienceless about dealing with them.”

“So, when they ran out of enemies, they turned on themselves?”

“Not immediately, but yes, eventually,” Erren nodded. “We gods took sides as ever, and their time ended abruptly.”

“Are the people living there now heading towards a similar end?” Darras asked.

“No, that’s not to say atrocities might not occur, but they are far more cooperative and less inclined to wipe out their enemies permanently.”

“I see,” Darras nodded, somewhat relieved.

“It’s time; be careful, my love,” Erren replied, kissing Darras passionately.


Chassal was hot and muggy, with little or no breeze. Darras’s reception was far friendlier than the last time he’d visited. Darras made his way to the merchant’s warehouse he’d visited the previous time and was greeted by the Lizardman in friendly tones, which got even friendlier when Darras informed the Lizardman he had specialist glassware from Perdolis to sell.

“Same terms as last time?” the Lizardman asked, rubbing his clawed hands together.

“Yes, though I’m told one of these healing herbs is difficult to purchase,” Darras replied.

“Let me see,” the Lizardman requested. “Ah, chauncetia, no, I don’t stock this; few do.”

“Can you get it?”

“No, but I can tell you where to purchase some ... assuming they have it,” the Lizardman offered. “It will mean a trip to the lake villages, though.”

“Hmm, very well; what will they trade-in?” Darras agreed.

“Skinning knives, if you have them.”

“I do, will there be any issues to worry about?”

“They can be a bit savage to outsiders, but if you don’t show weakness, they’ll behave,” the Lizardman replied. “The trail is easy to follow, and the Matriarchs ordered it raised to speed trade.”

Business was concluded swiftly after that, the Lizardman promising to prepare and hold onto the packages Darras had ordered until his return. Darras went outside the town through the western gate and followed the raised walkway west towards Lake Sarch and its surrounding villages. Walking soon became a chore as even with Erren’s adaptations to his armour, Darras was drenched in his sweat. Erren often reminded Darras to drink and occasionally take one of the small salt tablets she’d provided. Camping out involved a hammock to keep Darras off the ground; Erren also provided insect repellent for Darras to sprinkle around the sleeping area. Darras saw several other travellers, but all were Lizardmen who gave a nod of recognition but nothing else. After two days of journeying, Darras finally made it to the village, where he found the shrine of Crannok.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.