Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 15

The forge master entered the courtyard and informed Darras that the arrowheads were ready for inspection. So Darras and Klavin followed him into the forge room to inspect the goods.

“Incredible quality,” Darras commented as he examined random samples.

“It’s why I recommended Cherrit,” Klavin replied, indicating the forge master. “There’s no finer crafter of mithril in Dankar.”

Darras nodded in agreement, feeling that he could easily carry the weight to Iversirion rather than have it diverted through a Human town first. The pair were then interrupted by the entry of two guards and a richly dressed Dwarf into the forge room.

“Seize him!” the richly dressed Dwarf indicated Darras to the guards.

“Best go with him, Darras,” Klavin advised. “I’ll sort things for you from here.”

Nothing more was said, and the two guards escorted Darras out of the smithy and into the town, heading for the temple complex. Once there, other guards took over, and they escorted Darras to a large chamber where three Dwarves sat facing him.

“You are charged with the illegal entry of this temple in defiance of the will of Bimmlat,” the central Dwarf stated. “That is a crime punishable by death.”

“You have proof?” Darras asked unconcernedly.

“Bimmlat himself informed us.”

“And where is my accuser?” Darras asked, having been informed by Erren that an accused must be challenged by their accuser according to Dankar law.

“The word of a god is enough!” the Dwarf to the right blustered, unusually so for a Dwarf.

“Not according to the law,” Darras replied. “Nor has your seizing me gone unnoticed.”

“The law of Bimmlat is supreme in Dushik,” the central Dwarf stated sternly.

“Then where is my accuser?” Darras countered. “If your law is supreme, then obey it.”

“Bimmlat is above the law!”

“So you’re saying that your god can ignore laws that he presumably gave to you?” Darras chuckled as the Dwarf on the left frowned. “Plus, you have yet to prove I was even here.”

“Bimmlat said you trespassed!”

“Then let him take it up with Serulon and have Gilmea admonish me ... if he dares,” Darras replied.

“Guards! Kill him!”

Darras knew he wasn’t as strong as any Dwarf. However, he was faster and far more ruthless. Hence, to the dwarves watching, Darras seemed to blur into motion, seizing one of the guard’s spears and slamming the haft of it down on the other’s head, dropping the Dwarf on the spot before they’d even reacted. Darras then used his speed to pivot low and sweep the legs of the standing guard, causing the guard to topple to the ground with a massive crash. Darras then advanced at a run towards the three on the dais, only to halt as a voice yelled out a command for him to stop.

“Give me one good reason not to slay these cowards,” Darras demanded of the Dwarf and several guards who’d entered the chamber.

“I, King Rastav, request that you do not,” The Dwarf replied politely. “My guards will escort you and your goods to the gateway and see you safely on your way.”

“And should I have need to return?”

“The agent of Gilmea is always welcome in Dankar; of this, you have my word.”

Darras lowered the spear, which he had held merely an inch from the central Dwarf’s eye. “I accept, and Gilmea thanks you for your aid, King Rastav.”

“My pleasure,” Rastav replied. “My guards will escort you in safety, but I must remain to admonish those who believe they, not I, have the power of life and death over any in Dushik.”

“I wish you well, King Rastav,” Darras acknowledged with a polite bow. “Gilmea’s blessings upon you and your house.”

Darras was escorted outside by the silent guards, joined by Klavin, who also carried a huge pack containing the arrowheads.

“Close call,” Klavin commented with a rumbling chuckle. “Another few minutes, and we’d have had a bloodbath on our hands.”

“I don’t take kindly to open threats,” Darras smiled grimly. “Plus, their disrespect for Erren was evident.”

“Aye, they knew well that you were her agent but were still determined to kill you.”

“Take it, Rastav is an acquaintance of yours?”

“She is, or rather she’s, a follower of Pelegard and not impressed with the activities of the Bimmlat temple.”

“I see,” Darras nodded as they reached the gateway building.

“Welcome, Sir Darras,” the Elf monitoring the gateway in Iversirion greeted Darras politely.

“Good to be here,” Darras replied. “The guest with me is a Dwarf, so please be aware.”

“A Dwarf?”

“Agent of Pelegard, so not someone to be impolite to.”

“Understood.”

Klavin appeared in the gateway and was politely greeted by the clerk, though he got a few startled glances from other Elves. Darras led the way through Iversirion, making his way to the shrine in the centre. Fortunately, many of the Elves they passed knew who Darras was, so they chose not to be impolite to Klavin, though it was clear that a few were unhappy at Klavin’s presence.

“Greetings, my friend,” Harinas hailed Darras as the pair reached the shrine.

“Greetings, Harinas; this is Klavin, the agent of Pelegard,” Darras replied.

“Be welcome, Klavin,” Harinas nodded. “Now, how can I be of assistance?”

“Are Firios and his team around?” Darras asked.

“They are monitoring the situation with Rachtelin at the border, but, with farstriding, will be back later today.”

“Situation?” Klavin asked.

“Banditry from deserters,” Harinas replied.

“Cranagh’s forces, I presume?” Darras enquired.

“I believe so,” Harinas nodded. “A state of hostilities exists between the Forest Kingdom and Cranagh over their occupation of the Isle of Suren.”

“Not with Rachtelin?”

“No, King Danvas sent an emissary to Baron Dolen of Coolos explaining the actions at the border along with a letter from Leandomus promising his Elves would remain on the Forest Kingdom side of the border.”

“That was wise,” Darras nodded. “Whilst many would not be bothered, some would, and the King’s Council would likely use it as a rallying call.”

At this point, Gallira approached and greeted Darras politely. She was then introduced to Klavin, whom she acknowledged in a friendly manner.

“You have the city all stirred up,” Gallira informed the group. “None can recall even seeing a Dwarf, never mind having one visit Iversirion.”

“Not a place I ever thought to see,” Klavin admitted. “But Darras here had a delivery to make, and I was his pack mule of choice.”

“You could have said no,” Darras chuckled.

“And miss a chance to startle some Elves?” Klavin replied with a rumbling laugh.

“Oh, you managed that,” Gallira acknowledged with a smile. “Admittedly, a good few needed the experience as there’s still a degree of conservatism in the upper echelons.”

“The ones who want the shrine moved, I presume?” Darras asked.

“Yes, I doubt Klavin’s presence bothers the ones who live with Erren’s joy in their lives.”

“I’ll take you to the tavern where the Royal Scouts meet,” Harinas offered. “Firios and his people will join you there when they return.”

Both Harinas and Gallira led the way, though they paused when Tariel approached to hug Darras.

“I heard you were here,” she smiled at Darras. “Who is your friend?”

Klavin was introduced and subjected to several questions as the group walked to the tavern. These were mainly to do with Dwarven anatomy and their healing techniques and, from Darras’s point of view, quite intrusive, though Klavin took them in his stride, answering in-depth and often quite bluntly. Gallira, however, remained unconcerned, so Darras merely held his tongue if slightly embarrassed at what Tariel sometimes asked.

The tavern keeper looked shocked at the presence of Klavin, though with both Darras and Harinas attending, he chose to hold his tongue. Harinas and Gallira bade the pair farewell, though Tariel got permission to remain so long as she did not become a nuisance to Klavin.

“So you intend to become a healer?” Klavin asked when he finally caught a gap in the stream of questions.

“I have the magical talent as given to me by Hallis, and I’m studying at the university to gain knowledge of herbs and surgery,” Tariel replied. “You’re the first Dwarf I’ve ever met, so I’m trying to increase my knowledge of your people in case I need to heal one of you one day.”

“I see,” Klavin nodded. “Well, as you’ll have gathered, we Dwarves are hardy folk and rarely get ill, so if you do, it’s more likely to be an injury.”

“Must be some ailments your people get that are unique to you?” a puzzled Tariel asked.

“Oh, we get fevers and the like, but they rarely, if ever, incapacitate us,” Klavin admitted.

“So, how do you get to meet lady Dwarves?” Tariel asked bluntly.

“Hah! You are a fearless young one, aren’t you?” Klavin guffawed. “But, it’s no secret, we meet and interact as Humans, Elves, and presumably Lizardmen do; it’s just to you, we all look the same ... in a sense.”

“So, you can tell who are your women just by looking?” Tariel asked.

“Yes, to us, it’s obvious.”

“How is it obvious?” a thoughtful-looking Tariel asked.

Klavin went on to explain what was to Darras, the very slight visual cues Dwarves used to tell the difference between sexes. Tariel listened intently, making notes and occasionally asking questions. Finally, though, the conversation was interrupted by the arrival of Firios and his group.

“Darras, Klavin,” Firios greeted them. “Good to see you.”

“Good to see you too, my friends,” Darras replied. “I come bearing gifts for you.”

“Gifts?”

Klavin opened his pack and, despite a bit of hesitancy from Demala, who was unsure as to why a Dwarf was in Iversirion. This changed when the group saw the mithril arrowheads and the quality of the make.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.