Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 14

It was late afternoon when the Royal Army learned that Rigilo’s terms had been accepted. Healers were immediately dispatched to aid the wounded and prepare them for the journey to Torgel. Rigilo arranged an escort for them the following morning as he planned a march east to seize the bridge at Alvastros and hopefully open the way to the castle.

Darras was travelling with the escort whilst Loria remained with Rigilo as a scout and enjoy the tentative courtship she had begun with Benevin. The two made an odd couple, to say the least, but it was also clear they felt a lot of mutual attraction, and Erren assured Darras that they were a good match.

Darras joined Lord Tregon on the morning as the Royal Army assembled for its journey north. The wounded were travelling in several of the now-empty supply wagons, still looked after by various healers until they could be blessed and fully healed by the multiple priests in Torgel.

“So, Sir Darras, you are the agent of the goddess Erren?” Tregon enquired.

“I am, Lord Tregon,” Darras confirmed.

“Yet you side with the younger son of the former King in defiance of tradition,” Tregon huffed.

“Erren judges by competence. Joffar would not receive her blessings due to his condition,” Darras shrugged. “Nor if a conclave of the nobility were called would Joffar be accepted.”

“He is the oldest; he should be King by right!”

“He is an easily led incompetent, and the kingdom’s rule would remain in the hands of the King’s Council,” Darras countered as the column set forth.

“But civil war?”

“Was started by the King’s Council, not Rigilo,” Darras pointed out. “They attacked Coolos, Miront, Alvastros and Sinoris.”

“For rebelling against the rightful King!”

“As the attacks upon them were ordered before the death of King Ferril, I think you’re mistaken.”

“That cannot be true!”

“I scouted out Cranagh and witnessed the building and sailing of barges to the Isle of Turil in defiance of a treaty of neutrality with the Forest Kingdom. Tracked and observed the Army of Mirrs encamped north of Torgel waiting for instructions to isolate Miront,” Darras countered.

“I ... I cannot believe this,” Tregon replied, looking very disturbed.

“It’s true enough, and why the war started,” Darras shrugged.

The column made good progress, and the escorts provided gave it undisturbed passage through the increasing numbers of the Army of Miront. It was also evident that the Royal Army was shocked by the number of knights, mounted archers and footmen and the massive supply columns heading south.

“This does not look like an army unprepared for war,” Tregon commented to Darras.

“I never said they were unprepared, simply that they didn’t start it,” Darras replied. “This has been building for years as the corruption and greed of the King’s Council thrived under King Ferril’s neglect.”

“I heard about Cranagh’s outburst in Drannos,” Tregon admitted. “Though I was unaware of how much opposition it brought about ... nor how good these mounted archers could be.”

“They came about as an attempt to drain the coffers of those opposed to the King’s Council,” Darras shrugged. “Even now, often those opposing Rigilo dismiss them as a dishonourable way to wage war.”

“I was of that opinion myself until we faced them,” Tregon admitted. “Yet the carnage they caused in aiding an attack changed my mind.”

“In attack or defence, they are invaluable and will eventually bring about the end of mounted knights,” Darras replied.

“Aye, much as I may dislike admitting it, that’s likely true.”

There were no incidents on the journey to Torgel, and the Royal Army was met by Lord Jonvel, who greeted them cordially and informed them that lodgings had been arranged within the town. Other than greeting Jonvel warmly, Darras headed to the gateway building and a much-anticipated journey home.


“Welcome home, my love,” Erren greeted her man lovingly.

“It’s good to be back, my Erren,” Darras replied. “Two successful missions and a major breakthrough for Rigilo.”

“Yes, the King’s Council are somewhat in disarray, nor fully aware of the extent of control their opposition has,” Erren agreed, leading the way to the bathing area.

“Doriel’s people in the north deserve a blessing for their actions in dealing with that column of knights.”

“Yes, a little unexpected, though, as Colanthus is now blinded within Rachtelin due to his intemperate actions with Starak,” Erren nodded as they reached the pools, disrobed and moved to the hottest part of them.

“Only temporary,” Darras replied. “But like as not, enough to prevent the bloodbath he wants.”

“Yes, by the time he will be permitted access to Rachtelin, Rigilo will have relieved the siege of Alvastros and secured the east,” Erren agreed. “He’ll control all the bridges and fords over the Rachtele and likely move to isolate Cranagh.”

“Yes, if he does that, the forces of Coolos will be freed as well,” Darras nodded.

“He will succeed,” Erren replied. “Though your next mission is with Klavin and a visit to Dankar in the east.”

“Dankar?”

“It’s a Dwarven country, east of the spine of the world,” Erren explained. “Elven countries also surround it.”

“That might be awkward for them,” Darras replied thoughtfully.

“On occasion, yes,” Erren agreed. “Mostly, it’s just verbal in the way of arguments, but in this case, shadows are stirring the pot.”

“On both sides?”

“Dwarven mostly, though there are hot heads on both sides.”

“I take it Klavin will be able to vouch for me?”

“Yes, a lot of agitation and paranoia is prevalent in Dushik, their gateway town.”

“What is the root cause?” Darras asked.

“Religion.”

“Seriously?”

“Yes, the Elves mostly worship me and respect others such as Doriel,” Erren replied. “In Dushik, though, the dominant religion is that of Bimmlat, then Pelegard and finally me in the form of Gilmea.”

“Bimmlat, the god of mines?”

“Yes, my group suspect he favours our brother, though he has never openly stated that,” Erren replied. “There’s the added complication of a Human town on the border with ElfHome through which most of their trade goes.”

“Yes, I remember,” Darras nodded. “So, you want me to root out the shadows and return things to the normal grumbling?”

“Yes, but not for a few days; those are set aside for our mutual leisure and enjoyment.”


Two days later, Darras stepped through the gateway into Dushik and was processed by the Dwarf clerk, who got details of his trading items and possible length of stay. Outside, he spotted Klavin and hailed him, getting a wave in return.

“Good to see you again, Darras,” Klavin greeted him gruffly.

“Good to be here; hopefully, I can deal with the issues without recourse to violence.”

“That might be tricky; the main issue appears to be the high priest of Bimmlat,” Klavin replied.

“Is he or she inaccessible?”

“For a Human, yes.”

Dushik was not built into a mountain but rather like the town of Halgard, which Darras had once visited, in that it was built around a hill. Unlike Halgard, however, there were no Humans to be seen.

“No easy sneaking around this place,” Darras chuckled.

“Aye, I definitely wouldn’t try it.”

“Best go find somewhere to talk,” Darras sighed, wondering how he would deal with this.

Klavin led the way to a smithy, one displaying the mark of Pelegard. Inside, Darras was introduced to the forge master and then led to an inner courtyard where he sat and enjoyed a beer with Klavin.

“The temple complex of the Bimmlat religion is in the central part of the city,” Klavin explained. “It’s also strictly for Dwarves, no Humans allowed.”

“Why’s that?” Darras asked.

“A weird notion of Dwarven superiority,” Klavin shrugged. “Similar to the Elven one that crops up over your Erren.”

“Not exactly the common ground I’d hope to find,” Darras chuckled, with Klavin giving a rumbling laugh as well.

“Aye, but it’s true enough, if not that common,” Klavin agreed. “Your main issue is that I have no clue who is infected as I cannot see them.”

“Do they ever come out?”

“Occasionally, should the King summon them.”

“Alternative ways in?”

“I’m looking into them, but so far, no luck.”

Three, possibly four shadows are lurking in there, ’ Erren informed Darras, who passed it on to Klavin.

“Lot of them,” was Klavin’s only comment.

“True, but remove them, and things will settle,” Darras agreed.

“Yes, but it’s getting you at them.”

“I assume they have deliveries of some sort?” Darras enquired.

“Aye, most likely,” Klavin nodded. “I’ll have that checked.”

“Please do so; I may be able to slip in and out hidden in one.”

“You’d need to be careful, though you will be less obvious at night,” Klavin nodded. “What’s your cover for being here?”

“Mithril arrow tips,” Darras replied.

“Who’s after them?”

“Iversirion, only Dushik won’t sell such directly to Elves.”

“Ah, good choice; I assume you have some sort of agent in a Human settlement?”

“Tiruk is helping from out of Dremmech in Crusal.”

“How many are you after?” Klavin nodded, knowing there was a market for mithril in Crusal.

“Two thousand, initially.”

“Ah, a possibility of a regular contract?” Klavin asked, indicating for the forge master to approach.

A quick explanation was given, and Darras produced an arrowhead Erren had supplied him with. This was examined before the forge master gave a stern nod and named a price far lower than Darras expected.

That’s because the various ores that comprise mithril are mined around here; it’s why Dankar exists, surrounded by Elven countries, ’ Erren explained.

“Not for their regular forces, I take it?” Klavin asked once the forge master was out of earshot.

“No, their scouts, particularly those I work alongside,” Darras replied.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.