Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 13

The force from Treen remained in their encampment; they did no scouting and had few guards. Nor did they do any hunting of the abundant game in the area, living instead off stored rations. Darras found a suitable hide to observe them and patiently waited until night fell before settling himself. The following morning, a rider approached the encampment from the south, clearly bearing bad news owing to the urgency he displayed.

That’s the one with the invasion news, ’ Erren confirmed.

“Let’s see what they do,” Darras murmured.

The encampment was now in a bit of an uproar at the unexpected news, with the knights bellowing out orders to break it down and begin a retreat, though they couched it more in terms of advancing to face the foe.

Remembering how quickly his former command could break a camp, Darras could only watch in amusement at how ill-prepared and clumsy they were. What should have taken less than an hour stretched to two before, finally, the knights led the men at arms away.

“Best let Rigilo know,” Darras murmured.

Loria is on her way, ’ Erren confirmed.

“Good, because I’ve got a bit of tidying up to do,” Darras sighed, looking at the shambles of the former encampment.

To his surprise, Darras found he had some help in the form of a woodnymph and fauns. All Darras had to do was thoroughly douse the fires and aid in filling the latrine with earth.

“Our thanks, Sir Darras,” the nymph said once the clearing looked pristine and one with nature again.

“My pleasure,” Darras replied.

“My name is Jenol; I will guide you by the hidden paths to return to Torgel.”

“My thanks,” Darras nodded gratefully.

Jenol led the way through the woods, with the path opening in almost a straight line towards Torgel. Despite this, nearly six hours passed before Darras finally spotted Torgel, and Jenol said her goodbyes.

Rigilo’s gone, heading southeast and dealing with the scattered forces of Mirrs, ’ Erren informed Darras.

“Quick off the mark,” Darras nodded in approval.

Loria waits for you.

“Best be quick then,” Darras nodded, heading for the east gate.

Loria waited at the gate, along with a young man. She introduced him as Sir Benevin of the Lansver lordship.

“The young man you chastised?” Darras asked, causing both to go red-faced.

“I ... I thought he was accosting me and reacted automatically,” Loria replied, blushing freely.

“I should not have been so rude as to place hands upon a lady,” Benevin added.

“Indeed not,” Darras nodded.

“I brought various potions with me from Erren to aid in the coming battle; we are to set off and catch up with Rigilo as soon as you’re able,” Loria informed Darras.

“And Sir Benevin was kind enough to offer to escort us?” Darras asked after Erren confirmed the message.

“Indeed he was,” Loria replied, her embarrassment continuing.

“He must like you,” Darras chuckled.

“Darras!” Loria replied in a threatening voice.

“Ah, it’s mutual then?”

“I feel an attraction, yes,” Benevin confirmed. “Lady Loria is as yet undecided.”

“I’m not a lady; I keep telling you this,” Loria replied, looking exasperated.

“You are a lady if you act like one,” Darras interjected. “Anyway, we can set off as soon as I’ve eaten.”

“Follow me; I have horses waiting at a tavern,” Benevin replied.

It did not take long for Darras to eat his fill, and the party set off through the south gate, following the road to Alvastros. They had not travelled far when they spotted evidence of Rigilo’s advance in hastily dug graves.

“I take it the element of surprise is still in play?” Darras asked Erren.

Yes, the good news is that the Allfather has admonished Colanthus, who has temporarily withdrawn from this conflict, ’ Erren replied.

“Ah, I did wonder at the level of success we are enjoying,” Darras nodded.

A welcome turn of events, if temporary.

“How long?”

A month.

“Best make it count, though I doubt he’ll manage to find another Starak or be so foolish as to manifest himself upon the ground again,” Darras replied thoughtfully.

Yes, that seems unlikely.

“Rigilo may be able to relieve the siege of Alvastros and unite the north and east behind his banner,” Darras mused.

“The main army under Miront is also forging south,” Benevin informed Darras.

“Ah, a likely meeting engagement,” Darras nodded, pulling out a map. “The old ways meeting the new.”

“Yes, it remains to be seen where, however.”

“True, but the Council will have to stand somewhere or lose everything to the north and east of the river Rachtele.”

The night was falling before Darras, Loria, and Benevin reached the encampment of Rigilo. There was much activity going on within as healers and priests were dealing with the results of what had to have been a series of skirmishes.

They were eventually admitted to Rigilo’s presence in the command tent, where Darras passed on the information about Treen’s withdrawal.

“Good news indeed, Darras,” an exhausted-looking Rigilo nodded. “It will certainly give the camp some cheer.”

“Hard fighting?” Darras asked.

“Aye, it was,” Rigilo replied. “What started as a skirmish turned to a battle as the leading edge of the Royal Army came up and engaged us.”

“Unfortunate,” Darras acknowledged.

“It was, though we forced their withdrawal,” Rigilo agreed.

“Reinforcements?”

“I sent word to Miront. Hopefully, he’s sending some, though I’d still prefer the bulk of his forces went to Balen.”

“I take it your horse archers made a difference?” Darras asked.

“Yes, for all they attempted to drive us back north, they suffered many losses each time they closed and never fully outnumbered us.”

“I can scout them out tonight for you,” Darras offered.

“I’d be obliged,” Rigilo nodded.

“I’ll be back at dawn.”

“Want me along?” Loria asked.

“Might as well, I have a feeling they’ll be licking their wounds, not aggressively patrolling.”

“My feelings, too,” Loria agreed.

“I will await your return,” Rigilo added.

“Try and rest, my friend,” Darras advised. “You’ll likely need your strength tomorrow.”

“I will, once I sort out the dispositions for tomorrow,” Rigilo replied with a thin smile. “And to think I thought war to be about glorious charges.”

“Jertin taught you better,” Darras chuckled.

“Aye, he did, which is why we won yesterday.”

Once outside, Darras and Loria left the horses in the care of Benevin and slipped out of the encampment in the direction of the Royal Army. It was a dark, moonless night; there wasn’t much cover, and the pair made good progress. Compared to the encampment Rigilo and his forces were using, the Royal Army encampment looked like a shambles situated around a village.

“I don’t think they have many healers,” Loria commented.

“Doesn’t sound like it,” Darras replied, making a head count with Erren’s aid. “They still outnumber Rigilo, however.”

“I reckon about eight hundred of them,” Loria guessed.

“Nearer a thousand,” Darras corrected. “Plus, it looks like they have reinforcements.”

“Rigilo has only about five hundred.”

“I know, but he’ll simply defend, making them attack through an arrow storm.”

“Smart.”

“He had a good teacher, and he knows to conserve his forces; he’ll make a good King.”

“What should I do about Benevin?”

“Do you like him?”

“Yes, but I’m no lady and won’t fit in at all.”

“I don’t think he’s looking for that kind of lady,” Darras replied.

“But he’s a knight, a noble born,” Loria sighed.

“Younger son, unless there’s a tragedy, he won’t inherit and will have to find his way, probably in the New Territories,” Darras pointed out. “He’ll need someone far more used to real life, like you.”

“The New Territories?”

“Many settlers are going there, according to Erren,” Darras explained. “Escaped slaves, runaways etc. “You and Benevin could probably find work as sheriffs as you’re both trained in arms.”

“Who’s the Lord over the territory?”

“Lot of them, no King though, it’s possible to be granted Lordship if you do well,” Darras replied.

“Interesting,” Loria nodded thoughtfully, though would not be drawn further.

Thank you, my Darras, ’ Erren commented. ‘Loria and Benevin will do well out there and be a force for good.

Darras said nothing. As they scouted around the encampment, Loria was still within earshot, and he doubted she’d enjoy being talked about. Something that Erren silently agreed with.

The pair could slip into the encampment, as although guarded, the situation was chaotic enough for the guards to be continually distracted by the sounds within the camp. Whilst Loria guarded his back, Darras moved around, listening to various conversations and judging the mood and morale of the men, which could have been higher due to their earlier encounter.

“They aren’t quite beaten,” Darras quietly informed Loria. “But, I doubt they’ll cope well if tomorrow goes badly for them.”

“Reinforcements?”

“Will be here overnight, though they’ll be tired and probably not ready for what Rigilo does to them.”

“Hopefully, Miront will have sent aid to Rigilo,” Loria nodded.

“He will, though Rigilo will likely conserve them until the Royal Army breaks,” Darras replied as the pair slipped past a sentry and back out into the darkness.

“You think they will break?”

“I think there’s a good possibility, yes.”

“Rigilo’s forces are that good?” Loria asked.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.