Phantom Heat: the Phantom Horse Bridge Series Book 3 - Cover

Phantom Heat: the Phantom Horse Bridge Series Book 3

Copyright© 2023 by Robin Deeter

Chapter 7

Rich, spicy flavor exploded in Lucas’ mouth with his first bite of Leanne’s manicotti alla romano. He closed his eyes as he savored the combination of the meat, spinach, and ricotta cheese. The dish was made with both white and red sauces, and he’d never tasted anything so heavenly.

The meal had begun with stracciatella, a masterpiece of hearty chicken stock-based soup, which Leanne had served with fresh baked, crusty Italian bread. Lucas forced himself to eat the scrumptious fare slowly. Food like this was meant to be relished, not wolfed down.

Opening his eyes, Lucas found Leanne looking at him with a slightly smug smile on her lovely face. He liked that she was confident about her culinary talents. Confidence was one of the qualities he found most attractive in a woman.

“The only adjective that comes close to describing this is ‘divine’,” he told her. “I’ll pay you to cook like this every night for me.” He was only half-joking. Eating such fine food every night would be well worth a big chunk of his paycheck.

Leanne loved watching others enjoy her food, but she drew even more satisfaction from Lucas’ reaction to the meal. “Well, it won’t be too long until I leave here to open Minuette’s. Then you can eat my cooking every night.”

Lucas took a sip of red wine. “I’m glad that you’re going to make your dreams come true. I really admire you for being so tenacious about it. Not everyone is when it comes to achieving their life goals.”

Leanne agreed. “I spent too much time and money on school and put too much effort into my career to just let it slip away.”

“I commend you for sticking to your guns.” He looked around the diner kitchen, where Leanne had set up a table. She’d dressed it with a red-and-white checked tablecloth, which was in keeping with the Italian themed dinner. The lighting had been dimmed and the flickering flames from two tall white candles gave the room a romantic ambiance.

“This is the first time I’ve eaten in a restaurant kitchen. I appreciate the honor. I know that chefs don’t invite just anyone to do that.”

Leanne smiled. “I’m impressed that you know that.”

“I can’t cook, but I’ve enjoyed my share of fine dining, so I understand a lot about restaurants. I can honestly say that this is the finest meal I’ve ever eaten.”

“You don’t have to say that.”

Lucas said, “I don’t say things that I don’t mean.”

Leanne played with her napkin. “So, what are your life goals? Are you happy working on PE?”

Lucas shrugged as he finished another bite. “It’s okay for now. I like working with most of my employees and Paul has become a good friend.”

The word “but” hung in the air and she wanted to know what came after it. “Sounds like you have something else in mind for your future.”

Lucas nodded. “Yeah. Don’t get me wrong. I’ve learned a lot about producing and directing by working on the show, but I want to work on all kinds of shows. Movies, too. So, I’ll put in my time with PE, but I’ll also keep my ear to the ground and work my connections in the meantime.”

“I wish you luck with it.” Leanne raised her wine glass. “Here’s to all of our dreams coming true.”

Lucas touched his glass to hers. “To our dreams coming true.”


Leanne had been surprised when Lucas had insisted on helping her clean up once they’d finished their tiramisu. He’d taken off his dark blue suit jacket, rolled up his sleeves and was now scrubbing away at the pan from the manicotti alla romano. Leanne had never found a man as sexy as she did Lucas at that moment.

Watching the soap suds slide over his hands and forearms was erotic and her imagination went to what he must look like in the shower. Images of getting soapy with him rose in her mind and she dropped the plate she was drying because she wasn’t paying close enough attention. Fortunately, it didn’t break or chip.

Lucas gave her a quizzical glance when she handed it back to him to be rewashed. “You okay?”

“Yeah. It just slipped,” she answered.

He took the plate and put it back in the dishwater.

“You seem to know what you’re doing,” Leanne commented.

Lucas’ self-deprecating smile amused Leanne. “My scholarship to SCU didn’t cover meals and other expenses, so I worked any job I could find to make ends meet. I was a bus boy and dishwasher for the first two years of college.”

Leanne paused in drying silverware. “You’re kidding.”

“No, it’s the truth. That’s why I understand how hard you work. Being a chef isn’t easy,” Lucas said. “The hours are long and the pressure to constantly produce new signature dishes has made some people quit.”

His perceptiveness was unexpected, just like the compassion he’d shown her that morning. She’d thought about it several times that day and she’d concluded that Lucas was an exceptional man. His keen intellect made him a stimulating dinner companion and his sense of humor kept her laughing. While Lucas oozed confidence, it was tempered by his down-to-earth attitude.

“I love the challenge,” she said. “The rush I used to get when I created something that people went crazy over was the best feeling in the world.”

The dreamy look on her face and the yearning in Leanne’s eyes made Lucas angry at Hal for standing in the way of her destiny. The meal that he’d just eaten was proof that Leanne was meant for greater things.

Lucas handed her the second wine glass, which was the last of the dishes. “I feel the same way when we get some great evidence and put together a really compelling episode.” He let the water out of the sink. “If I have to work on a paranormal show, I want the findings to be true, not something conjured up to impress the audience. That’s why I like working with API so much. Paul is a true believer and he’s genuine and principled. Everything on PE is authentic, no gimmicks or special effects.”

Leanne finished drying the glass and handed her towel to Lucas so that he could dry his hands. Then she hung it up and took off her apron. Heat spread through her body at the way Lucas’ eyes darkened as his gaze traveled over her.

He took a step towards her. “You know that little black dress is a lethal weapon, don’t you?” His first glimpse of her in the slinky number had almost brought him to his knees. “I’ve hardly been able to take my eyes off you all night.”

“Thank you,” she said.

His seductive smile sent her pulse racing as desire unfurled inside her. “No, thank you. You satisfied my appetite for food, but I’m still hungry for you.”

A gasp escaped her over his provocative statement.

Lucas chuckled. “I warned you that I don’t waste time. I don’t play games, either. I don’t want to make you uncomfortable. I’m just being honest.”

Leanne had to clear her throat so she could speak. “I see.”

“Do you? Or would you like a demonstration of how attracted to you I am?”

Leanne couldn’t look away from the fire in Lucas’ blue eyes as she backed up. Her rear end hit the counter, preventing escape as he advanced on her.

The sensual smile that curved his mouth made her heart skip several beats. “What are you so afraid of, Leanne? I can tell that you want me as much as I want you. There’s no reason to be scared.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.