Phantom Heat: the Phantom Horse Bridge Series Book 3 - Cover

Phantom Heat: the Phantom Horse Bridge Series Book 3

Copyright© 2023 by Robin Deeter

Chapter 5

Lucas couldn’t believe how fast the temperature had plummeted. As he talked to Paul Hourton, the owner of API, which was the paranormal investigative team that the Paranormal Encounters show worked with, he struggled to speak without his teeth chattering. They’d just decided to wrap up the shooting because of the horrible weather, and the curious onlookers from Phantom Horse were slowly leaving the area.

Noting that Paul seemed a little distracted, Lucas followed his gaze and saw Samantha Gladstone, Leanne’s cousin. She was talking to Alan Rivers, aka, Face, who was API’s spokesman. Paul didn’t look happy about it.

“She’s pretty cute,” Lucas said. “You thinking about asking her out?”

Paul rubbed his ginger beard-covered jaw. “Uh, well, it’s definitely crossed my mind.”

Lucas grinned. “Go for it. I was out with her cousin, Leanne, last night.”

Paul’s bottle-green eyes twinkled. “You didn’t waste any time. I know you had a thing for her last time we were here.”

Lucas checked off a couple of things on his to-do list. “Yeah, but I didn’t do anything about it because we were leaving so soon. We’re going to be here longer this time, so I asked her out right away.”

“And Leanne’s okay with that?”

Lucas frowned at him. “What do you mean?”

“Does she know that it’s just short-term?” Paul asked.

Lucas had thought about that. “I wanted to wait until after our date to talk about that. I mean, what if it had been a disaster? I just wanted to have some fun with her.”

Paul smiled. “And did you?”

Lucas chuckled. “We did have fun, but not that kind.”

“Turned you down, huh?”

“No, it was mutual, not that it’s any of your business.”

Lucas had come to know women well. Some had no compunction about jumping into bed on the first date and those who wouldn’t. He was always on the road, so one-night stands were the norm for him.

However, Leanne fell into the latter category, and he’d sensed her reluctance to go further than the goodnight kiss they’d shared. He’d never pressured a woman, and he wouldn’t pressure Leanne, either. If and when they slept together, he wanted her to be completely ready and willing.

A string of oinks and squeals interrupted his conversation with Paul. Jimmy walked towards them while Hoover scampered around in the accumulating snow. His neon green-and-black cammo coat and little matching booties made Lucas crack up even though he’d seen them when Jimmy had picked him up that morning. Hoover flopped over on his back and rolled around in the snow while the men laughed at him.

Jimmy said, “Watch this. Hoover! Snow angel!”

Hoover grunted, rolled onto his side, and started moving his legs like he was running. After a few moments, he got up and shook off. Then he looked expectantly at Jimmy.

“Snowplow!”

Lucas thought he was going to hurt himself laughing when Hoover buried his snout in the snow and took off running. He cut a path to Jimmy’s dark blue Toyota Highlander SUV and then back to them. Jimmy squatted and gave Hoover a piece of carrot for his good work.

“How the heck did you teach him all that, Fish?” Lucas asked.

“Aw, it doesn’t take too long. Pigs are smarter than dogs, and it’s best to keep them busy, so they don’t get into trouble.” Jimmy brushed the snow off Hoover’s snout. “Just last week I taught him how to play basketball.”

Lucas grinned. “Basketball?”

Jimmy picked Hoover up and stuck him under his arm like a football. “Yeah. I’ll show you sometime.”

Lucas finished looking over his notes and said, “Okay, well, I think we’re done here. Better get out of this storm,” he said.

“Yeah, sure,” Paul said a little distractedly.

“See you back at the B&B,” Lucas said.

Paul nodded and walked towards his car. Lucas got into Jimmy’s SUV while Jimmy strapped Hoover into his car harness.

Then Jimmy hopped into the driver’s seat and rubbed his hands together. “Man, I’m glad the heater in this doesn’t take long to get crankin’.” He started the car and asked, “Anywhere else you need to go?”

Lucas looked at the gray sky and the heavy snow that was coming down even harder. “No, thanks.”

Jimmy cautiously turned around and headed back to town. “No problem. You gonna see Leanne again?”

Lucas glanced sharply at Jimmy.

“What?” Jimmy shrugged. “I heard you mention your date to Paul.”

“Oh. I’m definitely going to see Leanne again,” Lucas said. “I took her to the ski lodge for dinner. The DJ up there is awesome. We had a great time.”

“Glad to hear it,” Jimmy said. “You better treat her right, or you’ll have a whole line of people waiting to beat your ass. Me included.”

Lucas grinned as he watched the snowflakes whip past his window. “Harry already gave me that spiel, Fish. No worries. I know how to treat a lady.”

Jimmy pulled into the inn’s parking lot. “Gotcha home all safe and sound.”

“Thanks again.” Lucas reached into the backseat and pet Hoover. “See ya, buddy. Keep Fish in line, okay?”

Hoover nudged Lucas’ hand and grunted as though agreeing.

Lucas bid goodbye to Jimmy and rushed inside to get out of the terrible storm.


Leanne closed and locked the front door of the cottage behind her. She hung up her coat in the foyer, took off her boots, and put them on the mat with other winter footwear. Walking into the living room, she flipped a switch on the wall that turned on two floor lamps.

“Hello? Anyone home?” she called out.

She never knew if her little brother, Heathe, was staying there or at their parents’ house. Heathe was the night manager at the B&B, but it was still early enough that he might’ve been home.

No one answered her greeting, and in the silence, Leanne suddenly felt loneliness wrap around her. She’d shared the cottage with Harry for a long time, but once he’d married Glenna, they’d started living in her house. While Leanne was thrilled that her big brother had found happiness, she also missed having him there.

Shrugging off her negativity, she went to the kitchen. As she put some coffee on, she smiled as she thought of how sweet Tyson was. She’d gone to Vi’s house and had read him a bedtime story—make that three. Those puppy-dog eyes of his got to her every time, and when he’d asked for more stories, she hadn’t been able to turn him down.

She and Vi were the kind of friends who talked about anything and everything. She’d told her best friend all about her date with Lucas, and they’d talked about Vi’s fears over her ex-husband being in Phantom Horse.

Her thoughts were interrupted when her phone rang. Her cousin Misti’s face appeared on the screen, and Leanne hit the answer button. “Hey, cuz. How are you and your hot minister?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.