Phantom Heat: the Phantom Horse Bridge Series Book 3 - Cover

Phantom Heat: the Phantom Horse Bridge Series Book 3

Copyright© 2023 by Robin Deeter

Chapter 4

At seven-thirty, Lucas walked over to the quaint, ivy-covered cottage where Leanne lived, which was located around the back of the B&B.

He knocked on the door and waited. When Leanne answered the door, his stomach tightened with desire. She looked spectacular in a deep blue wrap-around dress. It dipped just low enough in the front to be slightly daring and showed off her shapely calves. She’d left her hair down, and the soft, crimson waves fell just past her shoulders.

“Hi. You look incredible,” Lucas said.

A blush tinged her cheeks. “Thank you. You look pretty incredible yourself.”

Lucas had chosen to wear black jeans with a gray casual suit jacket and a white dress shirt without a tie. The outfit was formal yet a little relaxed. “Thanks. Are you ready?”

“I just have to get my purse and my wrap,” she replied.

Once she’d retrieved her things and locked up, Lucas offered her his arm.

Leanne smiled at his gallant gesture and slipped her hand through it. “Thank you for the flowers. They’re lovely, and they did make my day better.”

Lucas held the Mustang’s passenger side door open for her. “I’m glad you liked them.”

“Very much,” she said, getting in.

Lucas shut her door, went around to the driver’s side, and got behind the wheel. “I’ve never been to the ski lodge. Is it okay if we eat there?”

“Of course. They have great food.”

Lucas flashed a smile at her as he started the car and backed out of his space. “I’ll bet it’s not as good as yours.”

Leanne chuckled. “You are such a charmer.”

“Only with gorgeous redheads.”

She just laughed and shook her head.

As they drove to the Hike and Bike Ski resort, which was about a half-hour away, they conversed about how each of them had gotten their start in their professions. Leanne’s story about how she’d made and sold cupcakes as a little girl amused Lucas. He could just see her with her red curls and bright gray eyes running a cupcake stand. They were having such a good time that they arrived at the resort in no time.

Leanne hadn’t been to the resort for a while, and she liked the changes that they’d made. They’d added a touch of elegance with the flower-like lights that hung over beautifully dressed tables. Those near the windows provided lovely views of the countryside.

“Wow. They updated the place. Very nice,” she said.

Lucas agreed. “It sure is.”

A hostess appeared behind the counter just inside the door. “May I help you?”

“Yes. Reservation for two under Lucas Hart.”

The attractive brunette smiled. “Yes, there you are. Right this way.”

She showed them to a table near a window and gave them menus. Lucas seated Leanne and sat across from her. He noticed a wistful expression on Leanne’s face as she looked around. “Are you all right?”

Her smile was a trifle forced. “Yes. I miss cooking in places like this, that’s all.”

Lucas reached for her hand and smiled when she placed hers in his palm. “I’m sure you do, but it sounds like you have something in the works.”

“Harry and I are attaching a fine restaurant to the B&B,” she said.

“Wow. That’s a fantastic idea. I’m sure the townsfolk will appreciate having an upscale dining establishment.”

Leanne frowned. “Tell that to my father. He refuses to listen, but one way or another, Harry and I are going to do it.” She brightened. “That’s enough of that.”

Lucas squeezed her hand and released it as a waiter approached their table. They ordered dinner, and Lucas steered the conversation towards lighter subjects. He wanted to show Leanne a good time and make her forget her troubles for a while.

The menu selections further impressed Leanne. When their orders came, she thought that the presentation of the various dishes was excellent, and the food tasted as good as it looked.

Lucas enjoyed watching her assess their food and was relieved when she found it to her liking. He was also glad to see that, while she ate like a lady, there was nothing wrong with her appetite.

By the time they’d eaten their dessert of Tartufi di cioccolato, a chocolate ganache truffle, they were stuffed.

Leanne put down her fork and leaned back in her chair. “That was delicious, and it was nice not to cook for a change. I mean, I love cooking, but it’s nice to be the patron once in a while.”

“I’m sure,” Lucas said. “I’m glad you’re enjoying yourself.”

Leanne shrugged her right shoulder. “Great company, great food, and wine; how could I not be?”

Lucas laid his napkin on the table. “Well, it’s going to get even better. Feel up to some dancing?”

Leanne looked at him in wonder. She hadn’t gone dancing since she’d come home from New Orleans. “I’d love to dance!”

Her eagerness made Lucas smile. “Let’s go then. Glenna said that a killer DJ is playing here tonight.”

“Glenna has good taste in entertainment, so I’m sure they’ll be great,” Leanne said.

Lucas paid their bill, and he led her through an arched doorway to the bar where the stage and dance floor was located.


Leanne had a blast with Lucas. He was a great dancer and made Leanne laugh with some of his observations about other dancers. He’d gotten rid of his suit jacket as soon as the music had started. The way Lucas filled out his dress shirt had Leanne’s temperature climbing more so than the dancing.

She caught several women eyeing him up and stared a couple of them down. It surprised her that she’d feel jealous over Lucas since this was only their first date.

A slow song came on, and he took her in his arms. She looped her arms around his neck and gazed into his blue eyes. Awareness flowed between them, and she couldn’t look away.

His hands slid lower on her back, and he pulled her against his body. Her breath came faster when he dipped his head and brushed his lips over hers. Leanne couldn’t resist responding to his coaxing gesture. She pressed her mouth firmly to his and tightened her arms around his neck.

The other dancers faded away as he deepened the kiss. She parted her lips and sighed as he touched the tip of her tongue with his. The leisurely way he kissed her ignited her passion, and she didn’t want the kiss to end.

However, when he slowly broke it and drew back, she admitted that it was the right thing to do. Her desire was mirrored in his eyes, and she was glad that the attraction was mutual. A blush stained her cheeks as she realized that she’d just kissed him in front of a whole roomful of people, some of whom she knew.

She didn’t usually engage in passionate kissing in public. Looking around, she was comforted when she saw several other couples doing the same thing. When she looked into Lucas’ eyes again, humor gleamed in them. She giggled and hid her face against his chest. The loud music drowned out his chuckle, but she felt it rumble under her cheek.

When the song ended, he led her from the dance floor.

“I hate to, but I have to call it a night,” he said, collecting Leanne’s wrap from the table where they’d been sitting a little earlier.

Leanne was also reluctant to go. “I know. Me, too.”

Lucas put his hand on the small of Leanne’s back and guided her out the door. He settled her wrap around her shoulders and let his hands linger a little longer than necessary. “I don’t want you to get a chill. It got colder out.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.