Phantom Heat: the Phantom Horse Bridge Series Book 3 - Cover

Phantom Heat: the Phantom Horse Bridge Series Book 3

Copyright© 2023 by Robin Deeter

Chapter 20

At first, Leanne didn’t have a destination in mind, but then she was drawn to the park. It had been a long time since she’d gone to her favorite spot, but it seemed to call to her. One trail ended at a small clearing, where a statue of several deer stood. She didn’t know why, but the place had always had a calming effect on her, and she headed for it now.

Parking her car at the entrance of the trail, Leanne walked briskly down it. Then she was jogging, and, finally, racing down the winding path until she entered the clearing. Her chest heaved as she walked over to the bench near the statue and sat down. She hadn’t run like that in forever and she was winded.

As she caught her breath, she felt brittle, like she’d shatter if she kept thinking about Lucas. Yet, she couldn’t help it. She did miss him. Missed their dinners together and the way he teased her about things. Missed how supportive he was and them helping each other.

While she craved making love to him, she also missed just sleeping in his arms and waking up with him. Her bed was cold and empty now and she missed snuggling with him. She even missed his snoring.

“I should’ve never gotten involved with him. I’m so stupid!” She leaned forward, put her head in her hands, and gave into the waves of grief that swamped her.

Leanne startled when an arm settled around her shoulders and she looked up into a face that she’d only seen once before in her lifetime. Blue eyes smiled down at her from under the brim of an old tan Stetson and the man’s old-fashioned clothing told her that this could be only one person.

“Grandpa Harold?”

“In the flesh. Well, sort of,” he said with a wry twist of his lips. “It’s been a long time, granddaughter, but I remember one other time you came here so upset.”

Disbelief made Leanne feel lightheaded. Was she really sitting there with her dead great grandfather? Maybe she’d fallen and hit her head and she was dreaming. He patted her shoulder. It didn’t feel like a dream. He felt and looked solid. She should be afraid, but she wasn’t. How could she be scared by such a benevolent spirit who was related to her?

“What’s troubling you so?” he asked.

Leanne bit her lip and shook her head, not knowing where to start. Then she brushed her tears away and laughed a little. She must be crazy to talk to a ghost about her love life. “It’s a long story.”

Harold settled more comfortably on the bench. “I’ve got all the time in the world, Leanne.”

“I fell in love with Lucas Hart. Do you know who he is?”

“Sure. He’s the feller in charge of the ghost hunt for me,” Harold replied.

Leanne said, “They should follow us Gladstones around and they’ll find you.”

Harold chuckled. “You love Lucas.”

“I do.”

“But?”

“Do you know what a TV station is?”

Harold smiled. “I’ve learned what a lot these fang-dangled things are, but I don’t understand how they work. What about it?”

As she explained the situation, Harold listened intently. The pain in Leanne’s voice as she told him about she and Lucas’ fighting hurt him.

“He thinks that the money would get in the way, but I wouldn’t let it,” Leanne said. “I’ve told him that, but he doesn’t believe that I’m capable of keeping business and our personal relationship separate.”

Her eyes filled with tears and Harold took her hand, patting it soothingly. “Why does it mean so much to you to give him the money? Think about it and be honest.”

Leanne was surprised that his hand was warm. “I’m scared that if he keeps working for PE we’ll grow apart. If I give him the money, he’ll stay here, and we can be together. I love him so much and I want a future with him.”

“I see.”

“That’s not the only reason, though. I’d love to help him succeed at something he loves, and I believe in him,” she said. “He’s so smart and he works so hard. I know that he can do this.”

Harold scratched his chin. “You’re heart’s partly in the right place.”

She gave him a quizzical look. “Partly?”

He nodded. “That’s right. Lucas is a self-made man. He didn’t have stuff just handed to him.”

Leanne said, “I know. He’s worked hard to be the success he is.”

“The same way you worked hard in school. Ain’t that right?” Harold asked.

“Yes, but—”

“Lucas is as independent as you are. He wants to get that there station on his own merit, not because you bought it for him.”

Leanne saw his point. “I understand, but he can pay me just like he would the bank.”

“‘Tain’t the same thing. Tell me something; if this chance hadn’t come along for him and he had to keep traveling, would you be willing to work around that?” the spirit asked.

“Of course,” Leanne asked. “But I don’t understand why he doesn’t want to do whatever he can to be with me.”

“Ah, there’s the real reason yer hurtin’. You think he doesn’t love you enough to take that money so he’ll stay.”

Leanne stared at him. He’d hit the nail on the head. “Yes,” she whispered.

Harold sighed. “You gotta give him a chance to see if he can get the money another way first. You already got it in yer head that he’ll fail. How would you feel if someone said that about yer restaurant?”

Leanne narrowed her eyes at him. “You don’t play fair.”

“Just calling it like I see it,” Harold said. “Bottom line is, are you willin’ to compromise? Do you love him enough to work things out?”

“I love him with all my heart, Grandpa. But will he compromise, too?”

“Yer askin’ the wrong person, sweetheart.”

Leanne wrapped her arms around her middle. “I’m scared that he won’t want to and just leave for good.”

Harold pulled her closer. “Do ya recollect what I told you when you were fourteen?”

Leanne smiled at the memory. She’d never forgotten the kindly, gruff old man who’d eased her hurt over finding out that her supposed boyfriend had cheated on her. However, she hadn’t realized who he was at the time. “You told me that I was a true redhead.”

Harold let out a belly laugh. “That’s right, but I’m not talkin’ about that. I told you how you’d know when you found the man yer meant to be with. What’d I say?”

Leanne searched her mind and found the memory of that day.

The old man asked, “You wanna know how you’ll know when you find your soulmate?”

Leanne laughed at his question. “Soulmate? You sound like my cousin, Nancy. She’s always saying stuff like that, but I don’t think soulmates exist.”

He wagged a finger at her. “Listen to your cousin. She’s right. There’s someone for everyone if they’re smart enough to look for the signs.”

“Okay. I’ll play along. So how will I know I’ve found my soulmate?”

“Well, aside from him being tall and handsome, he won’t let you keep all yer feelin’s locked up. He’ll be the one you can tell all yer secrets to and never make you feel bad, no matter how terrible you think they are. You might fuss and fight, but he’ll never walk away from you. Oh, and he’ll like those moving pictures.”

Her laugh rang out. “Moving pictures? You mean movies? Everyone likes movies.”

He grinned down at her. “Maybe so, but he’ll like ‘em a whole heap more than most folks.”

“So, my soulmate will be a stubborn, handsome guy who loves movies?”

The old man nodded. “That’s right. He’s the one yer lookin’ for. He’ll find you when the time is right. You’ll see.”

Leanne gasped and pressed trembling fingers to her lips. Harold’s description fit Lucas to a T. She’d confided about Adrian to Lucas even before she had Vi. Instead of being disgusted by her, he’d comforted her. He’d continued to support her through all the trouble with Hal. Lucas’ last words to her rang in her ears; You can run all you want, but I’ll never walk away from you. We belong together and you know it. I love you and I’ll never give up on us.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.