Phantom Heat: the Phantom Horse Bridge Series Book 3 - Cover

Phantom Heat: the Phantom Horse Bridge Series Book 3

Copyright© 2023 by Robin Deeter

Chapter 19

Since the weather was holding, Lucas decided to return Jimmy’s Highlander. This time when he walked into the dealership, he wasn’t drunk, so the chaotic décor and bizarre clothing of the employees didn’t bother him.

Melanie smiled at him. “Well, hello, sexy.”

“Hi, Melanie,” he said, grinning. “Good to see you again.”

The florescent lime green skirt suit she wore was so bright that it could probably be seen from outer space.

“How can we help you?” she asked.

Lucas didn’t miss the assessing way she looked him over. “Um, well, I’m returning the car Fish lent me.”

“Oh, okay. Fish is on the phone right now, but he shouldn’t be long. I’m sure he’ll want to see you,” Melanie told him.

The sound of little hooves on the shiny gray faux marble floor drew Lucas’ attention. Hoover came scampering out of Jimmy’s office carrying a soft stuffed basketball. He oinked all the way over to Lucas and pushed the ball against Lucas’ leg.

Melanie said, “Hoover thinks that everyone who comes in is here to see him.”

Taking the toy from Hoover, Lucas said, “Go long, buddy.”

Hoover didn’t know what that meant, but he shifted back and forth on his front hooves, ready to give chase. Lucas took aim and sent the ball soaring over to the Kid’s Korner. Hoover’s feet scrabbled on the floor until he got traction and then shot off as fast as his little pig legs could take him. Lucas and Melanie laughed as Hoover overshot the ball, came back, grabbed it, and shook it vigorously.

“Are you tormenting my pig?”

Lucas turned at Jimmy’s voice. “Oh, yeah.”

Jimmy grinned. “Good. He needs it.”

It wasn’t every man who could wear pink, but Jimmy pulled it off with ease. The pale rose suit jacket paired with a deep purple satiny dress shirt open at the throat and teal dress pants made Jimmy look suave.

“Where do you get your clothes?” Lucas asked.

Jimmy chuckled and cut a glance at Melanie. “That’s a secret.”

Melanie folded her arms and glowered at Jimmy. “He won’t tell any of us.”

“That’s right.” Jimmy motioned for Lucas to follow him. “Come on in.” He looked out the window and saw Maddie sitting in the passenger side of Lucas’ Mustang. “How come she doesn’t come in?”

Lucas laughed as Jimmy shut his office door and went to the filing cabinet. “Don’t you have enough girlfriends? Besides, she’s taken. Her and Jorge are an item.”

“Ah, I see.” Jimmy pulled out Lucas’ file and found the paperwork for the return of the SUV. “So, what’s new in your world?”

Lucas propped an ankle on the opposite knee. “Well, I need some business advice and it’s something I don’t want any of my crew to know about.”

Jimmy arched an eyebrow as he sat down. “Okay. Shoot.”

Briefly, Lucas outlined the situation concerning KZRX. “Leanne wants to loan us the money, but I’m afraid it’ll ruin things between us if we go belly up.”

Jimmy leaned back in his chair and steepled his fingers. “I can see your point, but you obviously need another investor. Leanne’s loaded. All the Gladstone kids are, thanks to their late grandmother, Diane. She left them a ton of money.”

Lucas grimaced. “I know, but I’d feel almost like Leanne was my boss. I don’t want that kind of dynamic in our relationship.”

Jimmy nodded sagely and a thoughtful expression settled on his face. “I think I have a solution.”

“I’m all ears,” Lucas said.

“I’ll go in on it with you,” Jimmy said. “I’ve got the funds and I’m in good with Fred at the bank since I do a lot of financing through him. I’m sure I could talk him into backing us. I’d just be a silent partner since I know diddly-squat about running a TV station. The only thing I ask is that you make me some decent commercials.” His eyes darkened with anger. “That piece of shit Tyler said that mine were really good, but when I asked Kayla and Jorge for a second opinion, they basically told me they were crap.”

Lucas shifted a little uncomfortably. “I’m sorry Tyler did that. I wouldn’t call your stuff crap, but it’s sort of cheesy. I can help you with that, though.”

Jimmy smiled. “Cool. So, what do you think about us being partners?”

Lucas asked, “What kind of money can you sink into it?”

“Hmm. I could swing thirty thousand.”

Lucas jerked in surprise. “Thirty thousand?”

“Yeah. I’m successful and I’m frugal. Uncle Marty and Daddy paid off the mortgage on the dealership and Mama and Daddy gave me their little farm. Plus, I’ve done a little investing, which has paid off,” Jimmy answered.

Lucas clamped down on his excitement. “That would give you controlling interest.”

Jimmy waved his concern away. “So, buy some of my shares as soon as you can. It’s a good way for me to diversify and it solves your issue with Leanne.”

Keeping calm, Lucas said, “I have to talk to Austin about it. Give me a couple of days to consider it.”

“Okay. Don’t wait too long, though,” Jimmy said.

“I won’t.”

Lucas signed the vehicle return paperwork and gave the keys back. He and Fish shook hands, and the TV producer took his leave.

As she listened to Lucas as he informed her about Jimmy’s offer that night, Leanne grew angrier by the second. They sat on the couch in her living room after watching a movie. She held her silence until he was finished.

“Isn’t that great?” he asked.

“Spectacular. I’m happy for you,” she said stiffly, putting space between them.

Lucas’ smile disappeared. “Doesn’t sound like you are.”

“No, really, I am. I’m glad you found another investor since my money isn’t good enough for you,” Leanne responded.

A scowl darkened his features. “I never said it wasn’t good enough. I thought we’d reached an understanding about this.” His expression brightened. “Honey, this is a good thing. It means that once my contract with PE is up in November, I can move to Phantom Horse, and we can be together.”

While that made her ecstatic, it hurt that he didn’t want her help. She stood up and moved to the recliner. “You seem to have a low opinion of me.”

“What? How can you say that?” Lucas spread his hands wide. “I have the utmost respect for you, and I love you. You know that.”

“I thought I did. Is it because I’m a woman that you think I can’t handle a business arrangement between us? Maybe you think that I’m too emotional or that I’ll try to lord it over you somehow,” she said.

Lucas threw up a hand. “That’s ridiculous!” Except that part of what she’d said was true. “I never said that you were too emotional to handle business matters.”

He didn’t deny the latter part of her statement. Her eyes narrowed as she said, “That’s it, isn’t it?”

“What’s it?”

Her nostrils flared as her vision turned crimson. “You’re afraid that I’ll use my money to keep you under my thumb. How could you think such a thing about me?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.