Phantom Heat: the Phantom Horse Bridge Series Book 3 - Cover

Phantom Heat: the Phantom Horse Bridge Series Book 3

Copyright© 2023 by Robin Deeter

Chapter 17

Leanne cringed when she saw Harry already behind the desk when she went downstairs, but there was no way to avoid him. She straightened her shoulders and walked over. His eyes rounded and he glanced towards the stairs before quickly returning his gaze to her.

“Good morning,” he said cautiously.

She smiled. “Good morning.”

“Here to see Lucas, I take it.”

Feeling ornery, she said, “No. Just going home, actually.”

Harry’s mouth thinned in disapproval.

“Don’t look at me like that, Harry. I’m a grown woman.” She shrugged into her coat. “I quit at the diner, so you won’t see me there anymore.”

Harry’s mouth dropped open for a second and then his brows drew together. “Let me guess; Dad.”

She gave a curt nod. “Yeah. Dad. I got fed up.”

Harry’s eyes filled with sympathy. “I don’t blame you.” His expression turned crafty. “You know, since you’ll have some time on your hands now, you could do some cooking here if you wanted to.”

She gave him a saucy smile. “Great minds think alike, brother dear. I’m going to catch up on some chores and errands today, but I’ll cook lunch tomorrow.”

Coming around the desk, Harry hugged her. “Okay. You going to be all right?”

Returning his embrace, Leanne rose on tiptoe and kissed his cheek. “Yeah. Thanks. I’m not going to dwell on it. I’m just going to move forward.”

“Good thinking.” He turned serious. “Is Lucas treating you right?”

Leanne couldn’t stop her irreverent grin. “He’s treating me so very right.”

Harry groaned and pushed her away playfully. “Knock it off. Brothers don’t want to hear about their sisters’ sex lives.”

Laughing, she said, “I wasn’t talking about that, but while we’re on—”

“Get out of here!”

Giggling, Leanne left the B&B and jogged over home.


Her stomach tightened as Leanne knocked on Vi’s door that evening. It was time to come clean about Adrian and fill her in about Lucas and what had happened with Hal. She put a hand on her midsection as she waited for Vi to answer the door.

It opened and Tyson grinned up at her. “Hi, Aunt Leanne!”

Leanne bent and hugged him. “Hi, buddy. How was your day?” she asked after kissing his cheek.

He pulled her into the apartment and shut the door. “Good. I got an A on my spelling test, and we had pizza for lunch.”

“I’d call that a good day,” Leanne commented as Vi entered the living room.

“Hi. How are you?”

“I’m good,” Leanne said. “Well, good and bad.”

Vi gave her a perplexed look, then asked, “Would you like some tea and biscuits?”

Leanne smiled, thinking that the snack might help her relax. “You know that I never turn down your biscuits. Thanks.”

“I’ll be right back,” Vi said and disappeared into the kitchen.

Leanne sat on the couch and talked with Tyson while she waited for Vi to return. When Vi did and sat down beside her, Leanne jumped right into the conversation before she lost her nerve again. “I have something to tell you and I’m really nervous about it.”

Vi turned to Tyson. “Son, would you go work on your puzzle, in your room, and let Aunt Leanne and me talk a little bit?’

Vi watched her son go into his room and close the door. “Okay. What is it?”

Rubbing her hands nervously along her thighs, Leanne replied, “I’m so afraid that you’ll think less of me.”

Vi took one of Leanne’s hands in hers and looked directly into her dearest friend’s eyes. “Leanne, there is nothing you could do to make me love you any less.” A mischievous smile lifted the corners of Vi’s lips. “Except give away my secret ingredient in my sweet treats...”

Vi’s kindness brought tears to Leanne’s eyes. She was also grateful to her for making her smile a little. “I’ll never tell a single soul.” She clasped her hands together and looked down at her lap. “I didn’t come home only because Dad wanted me to run the diner.”

“You didn’t?”

“No. I also left New Orleans because of the situation with Adrian.” She let out a short laugh. “I found out that he’s married and has two kids. I slept with a married man, Vi.”

Vi laughed and Leanne cried, “How can you laugh about that?”

“Because, you’re not the only one! Didn’t I tell you? Tyler was married when I first met him. He left her for me. It was the stupidest thing I’ve ever done in my entire life, but I have Tyson so I wouldn’t change it in a way.”

Leanne’s eyes rounded. “No. You never told me that. I guess we’ve been keeping secrets from each other that we don’t need to.”

Vi asked, “Do you think any less of me?”

“Of course not,” Leanne replied. “I’d never judge you.”

Vi tilted her head a little. “Then how could you possibly think that I would ever judge you?”

“I’m so sorry, Vi. It’s just that I always have it in the back of my head that I’m held to a higher standard. Dad drilled that into our heads when we were growing up. I guess I made the situation worse in my mind than it really was, huh?”

Vi squeezed her hand. “I can understand why you would. Since moving to Gladstone, I see how much scrutiny your family is under, and I know that Hal has high expectations of you kids.”

Leanne sighed. “Yeah, which is why I felt so guilty about what happened with Adrian. I told Lucas and he was so supportive. I felt that it was time I told you, too. You’re my best friend, after all.”

Vi giggled. “You know what? You’ve got a really good man in Lucas. And I think I’ve got a really good man in Dawson. Maybe ole Grandpa Harold decided it was our turn at a happy ever after.” She lifted her teacup and the plate of short breads. “Here, have another.”

Leanne grinned. “I’m crazy about him, Vi, and I think Dawson is wonderful. I’m so happy for you.” She took another biscuit. “Thanks. Well, if Grandpa Harold does have a hand in this, we owe him a huge thank you.” She chewed thoughtfully for a moment and then said, “Lucas and I spent the night together last night.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.