Phantom Heat: the Phantom Horse Bridge Series Book 3 - Cover

Phantom Heat: the Phantom Horse Bridge Series Book 3

Copyright© 2023 by Robin Deeter

Chapter 16

A while later, Kara called Austin up on stage and they had a brief conference before he stepped up to the mic, slipped his guitar strap over his head, and settled it comfortably on his shoulders.

While he set up a second mic for the acoustic guitar, he said, “Hey, out there. Let’s give Kara a round of applause for being such an awesome DJ.”

Kara laughed and bowed while the audience cheered. When it quieted down, Austin continued. “Most of you don’t know me, but I’m Austin Strong Bull and I’m with the Paranormal Encounters crew. I thought I’d play a few songs for you and give Kara a well-deserved break. This first song is one I’m sure some of you country music lovers know, and I was asked to send this out to Peanut. So, Peanut, whoever you are, Charlie Brown wants you to know that he means every word of it.”

Leanne recognized the song as soon as Austin started playing. She gasped and turned to Lucas. Between it being a Brad Paisley song and the codenames there was no way that it could be a coincidence. His romantic gesture touched her.

Lucas blushed a little as he grinned sheepishly. “Dance with me?”

Leanne took his hand and stood up. “Of course.”

Lucas followed her to the dance floor where a few other couples now danced. She put her arms around Lucas’ neck and looked into his eyes as he pulled her closer and started swaying to the beat.

Then she turned her attention to Austin as he began singing. She was impressed by his excellent tenor voice, and it was apparent after only a few lines of the song that he was an expert guitar player.

Leanne hadn’t heard the song in a while, so she listened closely to the lyrics. She wondered why it was significant to Lucas, but by the first chorus, the meaning was revealed to her. The song implored her to let him make a difference in her life.

Tears welled in Leanne’s eyes as Lucas held her. Battling back the fear that threatened to rise inside, Leanne laid her head on Lucas’ chest as she considered how to respond.

As the song neared the end, she heard Lucas singing under her ear, telling her that he was standing before her, baring his soul to her, and promising not to let her down. Tears spilled down her cheeks as the sweetness of the moment overwhelmed her. Choking back a sob, she wiped away the moisture from her face and smiled up at him.


In her eyes, Lucas saw her answer and his heart sang with a feeling he’d never felt for a woman before. He’d lied to Paul when he’d said that he didn’t love Leanne. He’d also lied to himself, something he rarely did. In that instant, Lucas admitted that he’d fallen in love with the gorgeous chef. Dipping his head, he took her lips in a soft, slow kiss.

Leanne leaned into his embrace, threading her fingers through his hair as she responded to him. The way Lucas caressed her back and growled against her lips made desire flare to life and she wanted him intensely.

Gradually breaking the kiss, she murmured, “Let’s get out of here,” in his ear.

Lucas nodded. “My thoughts exactly.”

They said brief goodbyes to everyone and left the bar.


Even though Lucas wanted to stomp on the gas, he kept his Mustang to the speed limit. But the sultry looks Leanne sent his way made the short drive to the B&B felt like an eternity. When they arrived, Lucas parked quickly and hurried around to open her door. He grabbed her hand and started for the B&B.

Leanne laughed at the way he practically dragged her along. “Slow down, Speedy. Your legs are longer than mine.”

Lucas complied. “Sorry, but all I can think about is getting you alone. I almost found a spot along the road.”

Leanne snickered. “I haven’t made love in a car in a long time. We’ll have to do that sometime.”

With a groan, Lucas quickened his strides again, making her laugh. Stepping into the foyer, Lucas moved aside and had her go ahead of him. Watching her shapely rear end sway back and forth as they climbed the stairs made him break into a sweat. Bad move.

Reaching his room, Lucas unlocked the door, motioned her inside, and shut the door. She turned around and suddenly found herself in his arms. His mouth descended on hers in a hungry kiss that made her go a little weak in the knees. She clutched his strong shoulders and hung onto him as he deepened the kiss even further.

He abruptly broke the kiss to undo the zipper of her coat and they started undressing each other. They kissed and laughed as they got in each other’s way while they tried to unfasten buttons and zippers.

Parting Lucas’ white dress shirt, Leanne placed a kiss against his chest and inhaled his spicy scent. He growled when she scored his skin with her teeth and the throaty sound made her smile. They made short work of the rest of their clothing and soon no barriers remained between them.

Lucas’ smoldering gaze traveled and set Leanne on fire. “I’ve never seen anything as beautiful as you are, baby,” he said.

Trailing her fingers down his chest and defined abs, Leanne smiled. “I can say the same thing about you. Men don’t like to be called beautiful, but you are a beautiful man.”

Lucas sucked in a breath when her fingertips circled his bellybutton. “You can call me anything you want.” He leaned his forehead against hers. “You’re driving me insane. I’ve never wanted anyone so much.”

Leanne wound her arms around his neck. “I feel the same way about you. I don’t know what I did to deserve you, but it must’ve been something good.”

Lucas pressed a kiss to her lips and said, “You deserve to be appreciated for the amazing woman you are. I want to make you happy, honey.” He tucked a lock of crimson hair behind her ear. “Let down your walls, Leanne. I promise not to hurt you. I want to show you how much I love you.”

Leanne gasped and she couldn’t speak as their gazes locked.

Lucas cupped her cheek. “That’s right. I’ve fallen completely in love with you.” Taking her hand, he kissed her palm and pressed her hand against the left side of his chest. “My heart belongs to you now.”

Shocked, Leanne almost didn’t believe him until she saw the honesty in his expression. There was no mistaking the love shimmering in his eyes, and it humbled her to know that this wonderful man cared so deeply for her.

Lucas was everything she could ever want in a man. He was supportive and caring, and she felt safe confiding in him. His good looks enthralled her, but he was just as beautiful on the inside. He was worthy of any woman’s love, but could she give him her heart? She wasn’t sure, and she felt guilty because she couldn’t return his sentiments.

Before she could respond, he claimed her mouth in a deep, hot kiss and backed her towards the bed. She let out a surprised squeal when he scooped her up, deposited her on it, and stretched out beside her.

His caresses made her skin tingle everywhere he touched her, and she forgot everything else. Giving herself to Lucas felt so right, so natural, and Leanne was consumed by the fiery passion he ignited in her.

Being with Leanne that night was the most profound experience of Lucas’ life. He slowed down and worshipped every inch of her delectable body. She brought out a hunger in him unlike any he’d ever known, and he doubted that it would ever be completely satisfied.

Leanne responded kindly, showing him with her body what she hadn’t been able to say out loud. Their lovemaking was alternately tender and fierce, and Leanne loved every moment. Repeatedly, he brought her shattering bliss, and just when she thought she couldn’t take any more, he proved her wrong. The last tumble into mutual ecstasy seemed to go on forever until they were utterly spent, finally collapsing together in a tangle of arms and legs.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.