Phantom Heat: the Phantom Horse Bridge Series Book 3 - Cover

Phantom Heat: the Phantom Horse Bridge Series Book 3

Copyright© 2023 by Robin Deeter

Chapter 14

As Leanne readied for opening the next day, she couldn’t stop smiling. She’d woken up in her bed that morning, completely disoriented. The last thing she’d remembered was lying on the couch while Lucas had been giving her a foot massage. He must’ve carried her to bed at some point, but she didn’t remember it.

She felt bad for falling asleep on Lucas and had texted him an apology. He hadn’t answered her, but he was probably just busy. While she whipped up pancake batter, Leanne thought about how sweet Lucas had been to her last night.

Adrian had done nice things for her, but sometimes it had felt like he’d expected sex in return. But Lucas hadn’t attempted to seduce her. He’d made her feel special and appreciated and she was grateful to him.

She’d just finished with the batter when someone knocked on the kitchen door. Opening it, she encountered Vi, who held several pie boxes.

Leanne smiled. “Hi. Let me help you.”

“Okay.”

Vi handed off the boxes she had in her hands to Leanne and then went back to her car to get the rest of them.

Once she was back in the kitchen, Vi gave Leanne a knowing smile. “So, how was your evening last night?”

Leanne laughed as heat filled her face. “Incredible.”

“Okay, spill the details.” Vi’s eyes gleamed with anticipation. “And don’t leave anything out.”

While she put away the pies, Leanne recounted the events of the previous night. “It was magical,” she concluded. “I’ve never had a man treat me so well.”

Vi took her hand and squeezed it. “I’m so happy for you. I really like Lucas.” She giggled. “He was so adorable when he came in my shop yesterday. I can tell that he really cares about you.”

Vi’s statement made Leanne sober. “He does seem to. Maybe too much.”

“What do you mean?” Vi frowned. “Why would his caring be a bad thing?”

Leanne fidgeted. “It wouldn’t be normally, but he’ll be leaving after Halloween and I’m not sure if I’m ready for anything serious, anyway.”

Vi said, “How do you feel about Lucas?”

Thinking about him, Leanne couldn’t hold back a smile. “I’m crazy about him, but I just don’t see how things can work out between us. He works in LA—well, all over the country, really. I live here.”

“If things keep going well, would you be open to a long-distance relationship?” Vi asked.

Leanne’s brow furrowed and she made a helpless little hand gesture. “I don’t know. That didn’t work out very well with Adrian and me. I don’t know if I want to try something like that again.”

Vi stepped closer and made Leanne meet her eyes. “Lucas isn’t Adrian, Leanne. I don’t know exactly what happened between you, but don’t let Adrian’s misdeeds color your judgment about Lucas. I know that there’s more to the story about why you and Adrian broke up.”

Leanne swore inside. Of course, Vi would know. No one knew her better than Vi. Guilt constricted her heart because she hadn’t been completely honest with her best friend. Maybe it was time to confess and get it all out in the open. However, now wasn’t the right time since they both had work.

Leanne nodded. “There is. Are you busy tonight or do you and Officer McGorgeous have a date?”

It was Vi’s turn to blush and the two women laughed together. It did Leanne’s heart good to see her friend happy. Vi had recently started seeing one of Phantom Horse’s officers, Dawson McBride.

He was a great guy and Leanne was glad to see that he truly appreciated Vi and Tyson. They needed someone like Dawson in their lives.

Vi was still smiling as she said, “We actually do have plans, but what about tomorrow night?”

“Tomorrow night it is,” Leanne said, hugging her.

Vi squeezed her back and then let go. “Great. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Okay.”

Leanne walked outside with Vi and waved her away as she pulled out of the parking lot. As she stood in the chilly morning air, she thought about Vi’s question. Was she open to a possible long-distance relationship with Lucas? Did he want one with her? Even if they were willing to try, could it realistically work?

Going back inside, Leanne shoved away all her questions and doubts as she kept Vi’s advice in mind. She was right; it wasn’t fair to judge Lucas by Adrian’s actions. Still, she didn’t want to jump too far, too fast. It was best to keep it casual and see how things went because she wasn’t sure that she could survive another broken heart.


“Lucas!”

Lucas snapped his gaze up from his cellphone at the sound of Paul’s voice and looked across the Hummer at his buddy, who was driving. “Hmm?”

Paul shook his head. “Wow. You were miles away. That’s the third time I called you.” A grin spread across his ruggedly handsome features. “Wouldn’t have anything to do with Leanne, would it?”

Lucas blew out a breath and put his phone away. Then he chuckled. “Yeah, actually, it does. I don’t know what to do.”

Paul turned down the road to the Phantom Horse bridge. They were going to do some blocking for the Halloween finale. They wanted to make Alan’s spots as dramatic as possible and were after the best lighting angles.

“About what?” Paul asked.

“After last night, I know I’m in trouble.”

Paul’s eyebrows rose. “Last night?”

Lucas gave him a brief rundown of the night before. “I don’t think I’ve ever just slept with a woman before. No sex. You know?” He flushed a little. “And the thing is that I really enjoyed it, even though I woke up with a crick in my neck.”

Paul nodded. “I know what you mean. Don’t get me wrong; the physical chemistry between me and Samantha is powerful, but just being close to her is satisfying and makes me happy.”

Lucas smiled as he remembered waking up on the couch with Leanne. It had been around two-thirty that morning and she’d been sleeping so soundly that she’d never woken when he’d carried her to her room. As he’d put her to bed, it had taken every shred of control he’d had not to get into bed with her, but he’d resisted and gone home.

“Yeah.” He knew he sounded a little dreamy, but he couldn’t help it. “Damn, Paul. I’m in uncharted waters and drowning fast. It scares the hell out of me.”

Paul chuckled, his green eyes shining. “Aw, you’re so cute. The man-whore is falling in love.”

Lucas whacked his arm, making them both laugh. “I guess I’m becoming a reformed man-whore, but as far as being in love? No. I’m crazy about Leanne, but I can’t call it love.”

“If you say so.”

Lucas’ brows drew together over Paul’s doubtful tone. “I do say so.”

Paul just arched an eyebrow at him.

“Anyway,” Lucas said firmly. “I want to keep seeing her, but she has some trust issues about long-distance relationships and I’m not sure how it would work out.”

Paul shrugged as he pulled over on the side of the road near the bridge and stopped the big vehicle. “All you can do is ask. Better do it sooner rather than later, though.”

Lucas sighed. “Yeah. You’re right.”

Paul said, “I’ll give you my honest opinion. We’ve been friends a long time now and I’ve never known you to care this much for a woman before. Leanne’s fantastic and I think you’d be an idiot not to give it shot.”

Lucas’ lips curved in a wry smile. “I’ll take that under advisement.”

Paul grabbed his tablet and opened the car door. “Good. Now let’s go get this done and get out of the cold.”

Jorge Ortiz, who’d taken over as lead camera man after Tyler’s firing, was already at the bridge. Lucas got out of the car and followed Paul over to where Jorge stood. It was a good thing that he was used to multitasking so that he could also pay attention to the task at hand. They got down to business right away, but Lucas’ thoughts were on Leanne much of the time.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.