Phantom Heat: the Phantom Horse Bridge Series Book 3 - Cover

Phantom Heat: the Phantom Horse Bridge Series Book 3

Copyright© 2023 by Robin Deeter

Chapter 12

When Leanne arrived at the diner the next morning, she was surprised to find the lights in the kitchen on and her father starting up the fryer and grill.

“Morning, Peanut,” he greeted her with a smile on his face.

Her jaw almost dropped. He hadn’t called her that in forever. Between his genial attitude and the fact that he was prepping for opening, Leanne felt like she was dreaming.

“Morning. What are you doing here?”

He took a peeler out of a drawer and started peeling potatoes. “Now, don’t get your dander up, but I gave Daisy the morning off. She’s taking those night courses and was probably up late studying, so I thought she could use a little extra shuteye.”

I really am dreaming, Leanne thought. She hadn’t known that Hal knew Daisy was working on an associate business degree. “That was nice of you, but you should’ve told me.”

“I’m telling you now. Besides, I wanted to surprise you.” He gave her an uncharacteristically bashful look. “And I miss cooking with my girl.”

Tears stung Leanne’s eyes as Hal returned his attention to the potato he worked on. The memory of the first time he’d let her cook on the grill struck her and she smiled as she heard his patient instructions again. She’d been twelve and it had made her feel grown up when he’d trusted her to cook on her own.

“There’s coffee. I’m already two cups ahead of you.” He winked at her. “You look like you could use some.”

She gave him a wry smile as she headed for the coffeemaker. “Gee, thanks.”

His chuckle was the warm kind she’d heard so often in her youth. “I didn’t mean nothing except that you look like you didn’t get much sleep. What’s bothering you?”

Nothing I’ll ever tell you about. “I stayed up late watching movies.” It was half the truth.

“Still watching those horror movies, huh? You used to do the same thing when you were a kid. I don’t know how many nights I found you downstairs after bedtime watching the old black and white ones in the dark,” he said.

Leanne smiled over her coffee mug. “You ended up making us a snack and watching at least one with me. The Wolf Man was your favorite.”

Hal made a gesture with his peeler. “Anything with Lon Chaney Jr. in it is my favorite. So, what did you watch?”

The Conjuring 2. It was really good.”

“I haven’t seen that one yet. Your mother doesn’t like scary movies and since Heathe is working for Harry, he’s not home enough to watch them with me.” He gave her another sheepish glance. “I miss my movie buddy.”

Leanne couldn’t figure her father out. This was a side of him she hadn’t seen in a long time. Why now? “What do you want?”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

“Why are you being so nice to me? We’re at each other’s throats all the time, but here you are, suddenly being all fatherly. What gives?” she asked.

Irritation tightened his jaw. “I’m acting fatherly because I’m your father. I’m being nice to you because—never mind. I just wanted to cook together, like old times.”

Leanne knew her father well enough to see that he was being honest with her. If he was willing to extend an olive branch, shouldn’t she accept it? “I’m sorry, Dad. I’d really like that.”

His face relaxed into a smile and his blue eyes twinkled. “Glad to hear it. Now, get to work. We’ll have hungry people to feed after a bit.”

With a mock salute, she said, “Yes, sir, Mr. Mayor.”

“How about me not being the mayor for a little and just being your dad?”

She put her hand to her throat dramatically. “You not be mayor? I’m shocked.”

“Shut up and get the sausage going,” he said gruffly.

Leanne laughed and headed for the walk-in freezer.


A celebratory air pervaded the diner that morning when people saw Hal cooking alongside Leanne. He exchanged good-natured barbs with his buddies about his cooking and their large appetites, providing plenty of entertainment for the other patrons. Helen also got in on the act, harassing Hal when he fell a little behind with food orders because he was socializing so much.

However, the customers didn’t seem to mind waiting, for which Leanne was glad. Having the mayor wielding a spatula once again attracted more business than usual. Most likely, it was because Jimmy had taken a selfie with Hal and put it on Facebook. He was friends with practically everyone in town who was on social media, so the word had spread like wildfire.

With Hal and Leanne manning the kitchen, Daisy helped Helen and the other waitress, Courtney, with taking orders and serving food. It had been a long time since Leanne had had so much fun at the diner and it did indeed feel like old times as she worked with her father.

Could this be a turning point in their relationship? It surprised her how much she hoped it was, that they could recapture the special bond they’d once shared. She didn’t pray very often, but she sent up a silent plea that the closeness she felt with Hal that day would last.


Leanne wasn’t the only one surprised by the change in Hal. Lucas sat at the crowded counter at breakfast time just watching the show that the mayor was putting on. More than once, Hal gave Leanne a sideways hug and mentioned how proud he was of her.

After holding Leanne while she’d wept last night, Lucas loved seeing the happy light in her eyes and hearing her pretty laugh. The way she and Hal were acting with each other reminded him of the picture of the two of them he’d seen in the cottage hallway. Maybe they’d reached some sort of common ground.

Since the diner was so busy, Lucas didn’t go back to the kitchen because he didn’t want to disturb Leanne. Instead, he wrote her a note and had Helen give it to her. It said to call him when she had some time. He was able to catch her eye and give her a wave. When she grinned and waved back, he blew her a kiss, which made her blush and some of the people around him laughed.

He didn’t care if their relationship was public. Catching Hal’s disapproving frown, Lucas merely smiled back. He cared more for Leanne every day and he wasn’t going to let Hal come between them.


By closing time, the diner staff’s behinds were dragging. The heavy patronage had continued for most of the day, and they’d been kept hopping. Leanne couldn’t wait to total up their sales.

Hal finished cleaning the grill and leaned against the counter. “I can’t remember the last time I was this tired. I’m not used to this anymore.”

Leanne chuckled as she walked towards her office, carrying the sales slips and money from the register. “You’re getting soft in your old age.”

Hal grunted and followed her. “You don’t have to point that out, you know.” He sat down heavily in one of the office chairs and groaned. “My dogs are barking, but it was a great day.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.