Phantom Heat: the Phantom Horse Bridge Series Book 3 - Cover

Phantom Heat: the Phantom Horse Bridge Series Book 3

Copyright© 2023 by Robin Deeter

Chapter 1

Leaves swirled around in the early October wind as Lucas Hart drove down Lewis and Clark Avenue and swung his red Ford Mustang into the parking lot in front of the Phantom Horse Diner. He killed the engine, grabbed his cellphone, and got out of the car. The sun emerged from behind a cloud as he walked to the door and opened it.

Immediately, the mouth-watering scents of coffee, chicken, and waffles and frying burgers hit him, making his stomach growl. The authentic 50’s style diner was jampacked with the lunchtime crowd. The only place available was a stool at the counter, so he hurried over to it.

Sitting down, he accidentally bumped the person on his right. “Oh, sorry about that.”

He found himself looking into the smiling brown eyes of Jimmy Troutman, aka, Fish. Lucas had met and became friendly with the outgoing, amusing owner of Fish’s Fantastic Pre-Owned Vehicles when he’d been in Phantom Horse (formerly known as Gladstone) back in August. Jimmy wore a vibrant blue suit with a blue-and-red striped tie. Although the suit was a little loud for his taste, Lucas thought that the smartly tailored outfit matched Jimmy’s personality.

“Well, if it isn’t the famous producer who’s gonna help save our town.” Jimmy held out a hand to Lucas. “Heard you were coming back soon.”

Shaking Jimmy’s hand, Lucas said, “I don’t know about saving your town, but I’m here to make a great TV show. How goes things?”

“Great. Sales are up, and I ain’t killed the bane of my existence yet, so it’s all good.” Jimmy slid a menu over to him. “Here you go. I already know what I want.”

Lucas wasn’t paying attention to Jimmy, though. The captivating redhead he’d met in passing the last time he’d been in Gladstone had just come out of the kitchen. His temperature rose as his gaze traveled over her curvy form. No other woman he knew could make faded jeans, an old white T-shirt, and a grease-stained apron look as sexy as Leanne Gladstone.

“I know what you want, and it ain’t on the menu.”

Lucas turned in surprise at Jimmy’s quip, irritated by the knowing smile on his face. Had he been that transparent? Crap.

Jimmy’s smile widened into a grin, and he laughed. “Nailed it, didn’t I? Or should I say that you’d like to n—”

“Shut up!” Lucas said a little louder than he’d intended. A few people looked his way, but he ignored them.

Jimmy lowered his voice. “Aw, c’mon. I don’t blame you. If Leanne wasn’t a Gladstone, I’d have tried to date her. But there’s no way I want to join that family.”

Lucas understood Jimmy’s reluctance to become even more involved with the overbearing Hal Gladstone. He looked over and nodded a greeting at the older man, who conducted more town business from booth 12 of the diner than he did from his office. Hal was like a steamroller, mowing down any resistance to his plans and keeping people in line with his indomitable will.

“I feel bad for her,” Jimmy said.

“How come?” Lucas asked, perusing his menu to keep from staring at Leanne, who was talking to one of the waitresses.

Jimmy tapped away on his cellphone. “She has three culinary degrees, but here she is cooking in a diner. The girl can outcook Martha Stewart, Rachael Ray, and Emeril Lagasse with one hand tied behind her back, but is she serving up fine cuisine at some swanky place in New Orleans? No. She’s stuck in little ole Phantom Horse, slinging hash and cabbage. Sad.”

Lucas frowned as he glanced at Leanne. He agreed with Jimmy, and he knew that someone with Leanne’s kind of culinary expertise must consider cooking in a diner a considerable step down. He knew how that felt.

Although he’d always wanted to be a TV producer, he’d never thought he’d wind up working on a paranormal show. Still, he was lucky to have a job. The industry was so competitive that, even though he had a Master of Fine Arts degree from USC, he’d been lucky to get his foot in the door.

“You should come to one of the Sunday dinners that she puts on.”

Lucas set aside the menu. “Here at the diner?”

“No. Over at the B&B once the diner closes at three. She cooks all types of cuisine. I never have breakfast on the Sundays I go because I want to be able to eat everything,” Jimmy remarked as a waitress came over to them.

“Hi, guys. Sorry for the wait.”

“No problem, Helen. Did you meet Lucas Hart when he was here a couple of months ago?” Jimmy asked.

Helen’s dark eyes sparkled as she looked at Lucas and patted her salt-and-pepper hair. “I sure did. Who could forget those baby blues?”

Lucas grinned at the middle-aged woman’s flirting. “And who could forget a stunning woman like you? Nice to see you again, Helen.”

Helen snorted. “You’re full of bull, but I’ll take the compliment. Same here, honey. So, what’ll it be for you gents?”

Jimmy said, “I’ll have the open-faced roast beef sandwich, gravy fries, Pepsi, and a piece of blueberry pie. Extra gravy, please.”

Lucas chuckled. “A heart attack waiting to happen.”

“I’ll have you know that my cholesterol and blood sugar levels are perfect,” Jimmy responded. “Besides, I have an overactive thyroid, so I have to eat a lot so that I’m not as skinny as a rail.”

Lucas just shook his head a little. “I’d like the chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast and a garden salad with Italian dressing, Helen.”

“Trying to keep your girlish figure, huh?” Jimmy teased, which promptly earned him a cuff alongside the head from Helen. “Hey!”

“Quit harassing him, Fish,” she admonished before giving their orders to the cooks.

Lucas laughed as Jimmy scowled at her. “Don’t worry, Helen. I can handle him.” He watched Jimmy rub his head a little. “That’s what’s different about you.”

“What is?”

“Where’s that ugly-ass hat you wear?”

Jimmy bristled and pointed at him. “Don’t insult the hat. It’s right here.” He pulled it out from underneath the counter, where it had been resting on his lap. “I never wear a hat at the table. I do have a few manners.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.