Living Two Lives - Book 11 - Cover

Living Two Lives - Book 11

Copyright© 2023 by Gruinard

Chapter 3

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 3 - The continuing adventures of Andrew McLeod. This book covers the third term of his first year at university.

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Heterosexual   Fiction   Rags To Riches   Light Bond   Anal Sex   Analingus   Exhibitionism   Oral Sex   Safe Sex  

“Stop exaggerating. I am not as bad as all that Navya.”

“You really are the worst person in the world to give a compliment to Andrew, do you know that?”

She may have had a point.

“All I was meaning was that you have been very goal orientated for what, the last five years? Goals are by definition about the future and so your perspective has been dragged forward. For a lot of people at uni it is only now that they are starting to think about these things.”

Andrew shrugged; all right she did have a point. He mostly listened for the next couple of hours as first Helena and then Navya talked about specifics of life back at their home and back with friends from before university. Most of the tropes or stereotypes about teenage girls were covered over these two hours, Andrew supposed there is a reason that they exist in the first place. It was sad to hear both Helena and Navya recount the unpleasantness of their so-called friends. It was a manifestation of the very British phenomenon of cutting someone down as soon as they make something of themselves. It got much more noticeable in the decades that followed but it was always there. The energy expended trying to diminish someone or their achievements was impressive, sad but impressive. As he listened what was clear was that Helena and Navya had a lot of friends while at school. Not everyone went to university and so there were lots of their friends who were at a different place in their life compared to the pair of them. It struck Andrew that they were both popular women while at school and had a large group of friends or close acquaintances. When he had returned from his cancer treatment he was pretty friendless and so never developed a wide group of friends. It seemed like both Helena and Navya were at the winnowing stage with a lot of their friends; it was time to let go of the casual acquaintances and focus on fewer real friends. All this was a monologue in his head as he sat and listened to them.

“What do you think?”

Navya caught him daydreaming.

“About what?”

“Come on Andrew, what we have been talking about.”

He quickly explained the difference between his school life, post cancer, and what they seemed to have experienced.

“I consciously decided that I was going to be my own person and stop worrying about what other people thought of me. I did that when I was still 13 and because of that I had a limited number of friends in school. I was friendly but was not necessarily a friend. Plus I studied all the time and so I never tried to fit in. I have half a dozen really close friends from my time at school but only three of them were at my school. So when I go home I don’t have to worry about running into this whole gaggle of former classmates. I didn’t drink, at least with them, and I wasn’t a team jock, I was the quintessential nerd, studied all the time but lucky to have a couple of great friends that were girls. I suppose I am not very trusting and in a lot of ways difficult to get to know. My closest friends don’t know everything about me. I have been accused of being secretive and it is probably true.”

Helena managed to get in first.

“Why Andrew? You seem to be a perfectly normal guy.”

He wasn’t sure that was a statement or a question so as usual just shrugged. Navya’s stomach rumbled really loudly which distracted them and they went in search of the café but the questioning resumed once they were sitting eating.

“There are no exact parallels between us but the biggest difference, at least as it seems to me, is that I was not popular before I was sick and I went out of my way to keep most people at arm’s length when I returned. So the thinning of people who are not really friends but who you were friendly with, it doesn’t really apply to me. I do mostly think about the present and the future rather than returning to things from my past. But that is driven by a lot of things, my nature and temperament, my inherent shyness as well as my experiences from school. The way you have described it, you were both more popular at school than I was, or maybe a better way to express that is that you both tried harder than I did at school meaning that you have more of a transition to deal with now. The other thing is that you both played a role when you were at school and you are also dealing with that transition on top of everything else.”

“Played a role? How do you mean?”

They both spoke over each other with the same question.

“You have talked about it Navya, playing the dutiful Indian daughter, trying to make the family proud by making something of your life while also not changing too much and being a typical Indian young woman.”

Helena just raised an eyebrow and looked at him.

“Helena, think back to when you arrived at College six months ago. Did you honestly think that the two people you would hang out the most with were Navya and me? You relaxed and were yourself as soon as your family left. And now you are changing. In a lot of ways it is not a big deal, it would be more concerning if we didn’t change.”

“Why are you so level headed and matter of fact about it? Doesn’t it scare you, bother you a bit?”

Andrew shook his head and paused to find the right words. In the end he was blunt.

“Not at all. I survived cancer and am alive while my friend Faith has been dead for more than five years. Why would I be scared?”

As he knew it would, that bucket of cold water stopped them in their tracks.

“I know that was too blunt but it defines a lot of who I am. I have no idea what I am going to do when I graduate, other than I am thinking about trying for a commission in the Territorial Army. I am going to be an engineer but doing what, in what field and where are all a mystery to me. But in the meantime, I am going to enjoy life, try and be a good friend and have fun.”

Looking back on this it was typical teenage angst, none of them were yet 19, and they were starting to become their own people, rather than their parent’s children. At the time Andrew was probably the furthest along that path but as he had just stated it was not as if he had a clue where he was going. Helena was a blank slate, less parental pressure and she, like him, had no idea what she was going to do upon graduation. And Navya had all of the same issues as Helena and Andrew but layered on top of that was parental and community expectations.

The rest of the afternoon passed but their conversations took a more light-hearted turn, just three students wiling away a rainy afternoon. Andrew arranged to meet them at the same time the next day, the same routine at Baker Street and they would head back into town. He had wondered whether they would stay out for drinks and dinner that evening but Navya would not let him buy her dinner again and he knew she was careful with her money so did not push it. In a way it worked out well for him as it allowed him to spend a bit of time with Freya and Jim.

Over dinner, a simple chicken salad, Freya told Andrew that she had dropped off his application. He should hear within two weeks if he was selected for an interview which would be there in London, pretty straightforward for him to attend without too much disruption to his classes or studying.

“Andrew, do you know when your exams are scheduled?”

“It has not been posted yet but for the last five years it has always been between the 5th and 14th of June, Thursday, Friday and then Monday, Tuesday. I doubt it will change. Can I ask why?”

“I am trying to plan the wedding and we wanted your dates and availability. Together with those of Moira and Lars they will be key to arranging the ceremony.”

“I had assumed it would be over the summer, I didn’t realise that you were thinking about having it so soon.”

“We have both been married before and so do not need a large formal occasion. We are hoping for the middle of May.”

“Well my last day of classes is the 23rd so the weekend after would be perfect but I can do any weekend before that. After that I need to study and so it would be a month later before I could come back down. Is that too restrictive?”

“No, it is the same as Moira and Lars, they too would prefer earlier to later. I will talk to the Minister on Sunday after the service.”

It is moments like then that caught Andrew unawares sometimes, even although he had all the information. You don’t give a bride away at a registry office wedding and so when he had agreed to give Freya away at her wedding it never occurred to him that it would involve walking down the aisle in a church. Andrew had all the facts he just didn’t complete the picture. He tried to hide his surprise. The conversation moved on and Andrew rather forgot about the wedding. Ultimately the wedding did not happen that spring as they hoped but at the end of the summer. Jim and Freya were happy to see him home but surprised that he had not stayed out with his friends.

“I did ask if they wanted to have dinner in the city before heading back but they decided to head home. I quietly offered to buy dinner but I didn’t force it. One thing I see at College is the different financial backgrounds of people, some obvious and some more subtle. I don’t throw my money around, in fact no one at university knows that I have any money, but I also don’t have to stop and think about whether I can afford to do something. I don’t mind getting a round in, even if not everyone returns it. I never ask my friends about their cash situation so on occasions like today I don’t force it.”

“I understand and you, as usual, seem to be sensible and considerate about it. Would your friends want to have dinner with Jim and me tomorrow evening?”

Freya did not seem pushy yet at the same time seemed keen on the idea.

“I don’t know to be honest. I am meeting Navya and Helena at 10.00 as usual and then am meeting Rupashi, Navya’s sister in the afternoon. Yet another lawyer that I know, although this one is just finishing at Jesus.”

Andrew smiled as Jim scoffed at him.

“Nothing wrong with knowing some lawyers Andrew. Just look at how Mhairi Connelly has helped you, and Julian and Leslie.”

“I know, I was kidding. Mhairi has been fantastic to us and for us. I remember her face the first time she met me, 14 years old and angry at the world. I’ll never forget her look when I got annoyed at Julian Strong’s firm and doubled the quote, I don’t think she envisioned still working with us four years later.”

Jim had heard the story and was laughing but Freya had not so Jim, a natural storyteller, recounted the tale in a highly exaggerated fashion.

“Julian’s father called you on Boxing Day?”

Andrew nodded.

“And you really made them pay twice what you originally quoted?”

“Yes. They were totally boxed in, remember this was more than four years ago. There just weren’t a lot of people doing what we offered and those that were around were very busy. That has been the whole secret to how our computer companies made money. Speed and timeliness. They had spent £40,000 or more on the hardware but the installation was shocking. We were able to unlock that value. It was the same with all the software we developed. Pretty good right now, and able to add value to your business, as opposed to perfect at some undefined time in the future. This was just the start. Although it took Julian’s dad a few days to be able to talk to me. He was steaming mad, both at himself but especially the arrogant clown they sent to negotiate, and when I called him on it he was pissed. That December was my first dealings with lawyers and I have spoken to one pretty much every month since.”

Andrew tried to sound sad at this. Jim just laughed.

“Mhairi was a newly qualified lawyer who had recently finished articling, I think that is what it is called.”

Jim nodded.

“So she got dumped with me, the 14 year old with delusions of grandeur. Four years later she is friends with a Law Lord and other partners are angling to get in on our work.”

Jim was laughing again.

“I heard that you slapped Mungo down pretty hard on that. Mhairi has done well for you although she would be the first to tell you that she was in the right place at the right time.”

“Oh I know that. But there is an acceptance of who I am, who the three of us are, that comes across with her. I don’t think she has ever patronised me in all my dealings with her. How much of that is due to the incident we just told Freya about I don’t know but she has been supportive and helpful, made great suggestions and between her and Creighton sorted out the continually evolving mess that the computer business grew into. Did you know we had an Isle of Man company? It helped with tax on the sales to Germany apparently but what 17 year old has an Isle of Man company? I still don’t fully understand why we had one in the first place.”

Andrew shook his head in wonder.

“Did you not want a male lawyer at some point Andrew?”

Freya looked intrigued.

“Why?”

“A lot of men prefer dealing with men, they have an attitude that women are not as good as them.”

Andrew almost recoiled.

“Wow. Is that really what life has been like in the Civil Service?”

It was Freya’s turn to blush but she held his gaze.

“For many years it was, although it is gradually getting better.”

“The most influential person in my life has been Leslie. She guided me through my teenage high school years. So although I have seen and still do see the attitude that you talk about, I have never really thought that way.”

Andrew stopped and reflected.

“I think if I had that attitude Leslie would be disappointed, in fact I know that she would be upset, and I would never want to disappoint or upset her. It is also due to my parents I think. We have our issues obviously, but they have no prejudices, neither gender nor race. And Dad was remote to me for a long time and clearly prefers Rowan so I did not get a lot of father son time where he could impress his views upon me. So no, it never occurred to me to ask for a change. My lawyer is a woman and my accountant is a man, it is what it is. For me it is much more about liking and respecting the person and being able to work well together. Doug Somers is another one. He is a hard-edged cranky man but he and Leslie get on like she is his daughter. She does most of the day to day dealing with him and it works perfectly.

“Returning to the original starting point of this discussion, I am meeting Rupashi at the SE lion in Trafalgar Square at 2.00. She wants to talk and needs a break from studying. Helena and Navya are going shopping and we are meeting up at 4.30 at a pub at the top of Whitehall near the square, the Silver something.”

“The Silver Cross?”

“Probably, it is on the left as you look down Whitehall from the square.”

“That is the one. Perfect. I am a member of the Civil Service Club which is just around the corner from there. We could have dinner there, all six of us if you think your friends would be okay with that.”

Freya looked hopeful.

“I’m sorry, I did not bring any decent clothes with me, all my suits are at College.”

Freya pursed her lips.

“That will be an issue, it is shirt and tie for men and nothing that Jim has will fit you. Oh well, another time. We can still have dinner somewhere.”

Freya clearly wanted to meet his friends.

“We will wait for you in Silver Cross or would you like us to walk down to meet you in Parliament Square?”

Jim had a gleam in his eye which was starting to disconcert Andrew.

“No I think that we will meet you in the pub. Do you think that your friend, Rupashi am I saying that right?” Andrew nodded. “Would Rupashi want to meet me and talk about the law?”

His smile gave him away.

“You want me to ambush Rupashi by not telling her who you are until she meets you?”

“Ambush sounds so unkind Andrew. Unexpectedly introduce sounds so much more dignified.”

They both laughed at that one.

“I was going to introduce you when you arrived. You were not going to be Mr. and Mrs. X when you came in.”

“I know that Andrew, but I was meaning introduce me at my place of work.”

Andrew sat there and caught flies with an open mouth for several seconds, Jim and Freya smiling at him the whole time.

“You want me to come to Parliament?”

“It is where I work.”

“Let me get this right, you want me to bring my law student friend, less than four weeks away from writing her final exams at Cambridge, and introduce you to her at the Houses of Parliament?”

“What is the point of being a Law Lord if you cannot occasionally enjoy the privilege? I will show her the Chamber, it is always empty on a Friday, and introduce her to any of my colleagues that are there.”

Freya butted in here.

“In fact Andrew, if you dropped your friend off with Jim we could meet up while Jim shows her round Parliament and you and I could chat, just the two of us.”

Andrew was tempted to look up. There clearly was an anvil falling towards him from a great height.

“So I am going to abandon poor Rupashi with Jim for an hour while you and I ‘chat’.”

Andrew shook his head and laughed.

“Both she and I will need that drink by the end of the afternoon.”

It was all set, Andrew would meet Jim in the Central Lobby of the Houses of Parliament at 3.30 with Rupashi and then leave them and go back up Whitehall and meet Freya at 3.45 at the south end of the Ministry of Defence building. If it was dry then they would walk and talk, if raining then find a café and talk. Clearly the talking part was not optional.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.