House of Haddaway: Crowns and Worlds, Volume 1 - Cover

House of Haddaway: Crowns and Worlds, Volume 1

Copyright© 2023 by Parker J. Cole

Chapter 8: Matriarch Giving

“What do you mean the gold isn’t there?”

Death gripped the edges of the glass top desk, the skin of his knuckles taut. His ginyeater stretched painfully across the expanse of his back but the knots in his stomach felt worse.

“I know you’re new to Earth lingo, Lord Haddaway, but even if I said it in ancient Preyidan, it will still come out the same way. The gold is not among the cargo.” Conductor Ti’luku picked at the singular nostril opening of his face.

His heart plunged to his feet. “How long before you arrive?”

“We’re scheduled to arrive at Terran Vital in three days, sire. The little guy’s put me in a very bad position. If it’s discovered I falsified information pertaining to the gold shipment, I’ll be stripped of my conductor status, my Earth citizenship revoked, and I will receive a one-way entry certificate to a penal colony. And that’s looking at the positive in all of this.”

“I don’t perceive any worry on your part.” Indeed, the Jat’oakin’s thin, red-skinned face bore a relaxed visage. For himself, Death couldn’t quite catch his breath. He attempted to maintain a clear façade before the viewing monitor with the Jat’oakin conductor.

Ti’luku scratched at the lobe stretching across his forehead. “The little guy has come through before. He’ll do so again.”

“If the gold isn’t here in three days...”

“I know, sire. But it’ll be here.”

“How can you be sure ... what is his name?”

“I don’t know. Never told me. I just call him when I need something impossible done.”

“And this ... creature always comes through?”

Ti’luku leaned forward until his white pupils filled the entire screen. “Would I be sitting here so calmly if he didn’t?”

Long after the viewing monitor blacked out, Death sat in the darkness of his glass and black leather office. Why wasn’t the gold there? Three months seemed more than reasonable for the little creature—what was his name—to perform his magic.

He drummed his fingers on the glass top, hearing the slight clink of his nails against the mirror-like surface. The deceit weighed on his shoulders. Lee Glow was more than the ruler of Earth. She was his wife and a woman he’d come to respect more with each passing day.

Marriage to Lee Glow had done wonders for Preyida. In the past six months, a large number of Preyidan males had relocated to Earth and integrated into the society. Earthlings being what they were, they accepted the newcomers with the same unabashed openness they accepted every alien race.

His gaze focused on a large painting of two Earth animals—lionesses, he believed they were called—fighting over the mutilated carcass of some herbivorous creature with bone stalks protruding out of its head. In a similar fashion, although not quite as violent, a kind of fever had taken over the female population of the planet for Preyidan males.

Several high-ranking officials had already entered marriage contracts with women of an equal station of command. Common Earth women welcomed the rest of the men with arms outstretched. The ginyeater attracted their attention the most, which was a surprise.

The males of his world had never been so sought after before.

For himself, Death realized he had the most beautiful and honorable woman in the galaxy. Lee Glow was the best thing to ever happen to him.

Last night’s memories repeated in his mind. Death recalled how he’d stroked Lee Glow’s skin under the cover of darkness. She’d often remarked about his cold touch. Even in the height of their love dance, when all else dissipated and sensation wracked their bodies as they twined together, his body remained cool and dry while hers surrounded him in damp heat.

The contrast never failed to excite him. Though Lee Glow was his only love dancer, he knew he’d never be satiated of her to desire another. His mind continued down a sensuous path as he thought of the number of kisses he’d placed on her creyatura, delighted when she shivered at his chilly caresses even as she crooned and moaned for more.

Afterward they lay in each other’s arms.

“Death, may I ask you a question?”

He’d chuckled and tasted the last hint of honey wine on her lips. “I know we are from two different worlds, Lee Glow, but I’m aware females of both our homes will ask questions of their husbands whether they wish it or not.”

She’d laughed with him. “Well, I want to know something. Please be truthful with me.”

His arms had tightened around her. How truthful did she expect him to be? Did she suspect his subterfuge after all? “What is it you wish to know?”

Twisting about, she’d turned until they faced each other. “Death, are you happy with me?” Her dark eyes reflected the shimmer of the moonlight.

The tension left his body with a sudden swoosh. “Yes. I am very happy with you. Are you happy with me?”

A ravenous desire to know overtook him. He’d wondered about her feelings but his deception forced him to never ask. Now here they were talking about them.

She placed her pale hand over his heart. “I am happy, Death. I never thought I would be.”

A length of her hair had fallen over her eye. He pulled the strands away with care. Its silkiness always struck him anew. “Why?”

“John’s executive order for us to marry was for ‘power and progress’. He was correct in that arena. Already our advancement on the dark matter strand railway has moved forward because of the insights your people have brought.”

“Of course. Not to mention the fact we utilize frutyrea radiation, which only we can see.”

Her pale finger had made circling motions on his brown, bare chest. “True. Yet, I’ve gained something from you I did not expect.”

“And what have you gained from me you did not anticipate?”

“A friend.”

His throat had thickened at her admission. The urge to reveal everything to her had never been so strong. “I understand you. In our world of politics, you do not know who to call a friend. I am honored you would see me in such a light.”

“I trust you, Death. I trust you like I have never trusted anyone in my life.”

He sighed, coming out of the memory. Lee Glow’s trust meant more to him than all the gold in the galaxy. How he longed to be the man she could put her faith in without reserve. Yet, this lie, this duty, this shackle made it impossible. His lips twisted. He could not bestow upon her the same courtesy. The lives of the men of Preyida were at stake.

The leather chair creaked as he shifted. But what about the gold? Why hadn’t the gold arrived on Legend yet? Was that strange little creature going to come through like Ti’luku believed he would?

He had to come through. He must.

“Lord Haddaway?” a muffled voice called.

Death lifted his head toward the door. “Lights on,” he ordered the computer. It was his habit to keep his office in darkness unless others sought an audience. He squinted at the sudden brightness. “Come in.”

The flunky opened the door. “I have an incoming transmission for you from Preyida.”

His ginyeater puckered further in reaction to those words, the pain bordering on almost unbearable. Something had gone wrong. “Please.” He stretched out his hand and accepted the miniature tablet. “What channel?”

“Secure channel, Lord Haddaway.”

“Thank you. Please close the door behind you.”

Silence reigned in the wake of the flunky’s departure. Death stared at the device in his hand, wondering how such a small thing could topple his world. He didn’t know the message it contained but whatever it was, it would not be good. No one was to contact him from Preyida unless it was an emergency.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.