The Cure: a Clean Second Chance Romance (Michigan Sweet Romance) - Cover

The Cure: a Clean Second Chance Romance (Michigan Sweet Romance)

Copyright© 2023 by Parker J. Cole

Chapter 10

Please don’t let it be who I think it is, Micah prayed silently. Oh, dear God, if you ever want to show me a miracle, now would be the time.

Like a robot, he inched his head sideways and winced. Before him stood Joslyn and Cameron Reddington. His mother’s mouth gaped open like a fish. His father’s eyebrows were arched into his head. To make matters worse, Maxine and Lawrence Woods stood next to them, their faces reflecting his parents’. To round off the whole shebang, Donald towered above the others, a huge, sappy grin lighting his face.

“God hates me,” Micah moaned. He pulled away from Savannah, feeling like his flesh had been ripped out of him. Savannah’s cheeks flamed like cherries. The color swept the entirety of her head to her neck. Her hand fumbled with the edge of her sweater. She refused to meet his eyes. He didn’t blame her. Talk about getting caught red-handed with the enemy. By his mother no less!

Well, that wasn’t true. If Savannah was hostile forces, then he’d willingly be a prisoner of war. “Mom and Dad, hi!” Savannah greeted as she strode away to meet her parents. “I thought you were going to call me to let me know you were on the way.”

“We did, my dear,” Maxine answered as she gave a swift hug to her daughter. When she drew back, there was a definitive gleam in her eye. “But I take it you didn’t get my message.” Lawrence cleared his throat. “We can see you were busy.” A swift glance from the older man’s eyes spoke volumes.

Micah swallowed a hard lump.

“Hello, my sweet boy!” Joslyn decided to break the awkwardness in the worst way possible—by calling him by his childhood nickname.

Micah suppressed a groan. “Hi, Mom. Dad.” He walked over to them, and Joslyn practically jumped up and hugged him.

“I’m so happy to see my sweet boy!” she gushed, slapping him on the back robustly. “It’s been ages.” She drew back and smoothed the material on his shoulders. Micah took in the long, mousy brown hair and the kind, gray eyes that swept over his body as if checking for injury. Despite the fact his mother had interrupted one of the most important moments of his life, he was glad to see her and his father. He bent and hugged her again. He hadn’t realized how much he missed them.

“I’m glad you came, Mr. and Mrs. Reddington,” Savannah said to them. “It means a lot.”

“Now don’t you go calling me ‘Mrs. Reddington’, like you weren’t almost my daughter-in-law and I didn’t catch you in my son’s arms. Give me a hug.”

Cameron and Donald coughed while Micah begged for a hole to open under his feet and send him to oblivion. Savannah was pulled into his mother’s arms before she could do anything more than react. “It’s good to see you, even if it’s under terrible circumstances.”

When Joslyn let go of Savannah, Cameron came up to her. “We wanted to make sure we’d be here as soon as we could.” He enclosed her in a bear hug.

Donald had sauntered over while the parents and Savannah talked. Micah couldn’t help but notice the knowing gleam in the man’s eye. When he stopped next to him, Donald whispered, “Looks like you have some humble pie you need to eat.” The look Micah gave him made the other man grin. Donald was enjoying himself too much. “How did you find us? We’re in a whole other wing of the hospital.”

Donald pressed his lips together thoughtfully. “A couple of people mentioned they saw a man and a woman arguing and then they left to go somewhere more private. Your father and Maxine figured out it was you and Savannah so we decided to follow you.”

Great. Just great.

A decided twinkle entered Donald’s eye. “We expected to come upon the two of you bickering, not—”

“Shut up, Don.” Heat crawled over Micah’s face like he’d stuck his head in a furnace.

“Hey, Donald.” Savannah’s voice broke in on his friend’s mirth. “It’s been a while.”

“Hey, Savvy.” Donald turned to loosely embrace her. “I know, right? Like Cameron said, it’s sad to be doing it under these circumstances, but I’m glad to see you.”

“Are you still coaching high school basketball?”

“Of course,” Donald replied. “I am thinking of moving back to Tawas so I can be near my family again.”

Micah willed Savannah to look at him while she talked with Donald. He longed to see what she was thinking. Although she was genuinely interested in what Donald was saying, he could see the almost imperceptible tell-tale signs of her distraction. The small downward turn of the corners of her mouth. The way her finger kept digging into the fabric of her sweater. How one leg bent at the knee with the booted foot scuffing the floor.

Twice in less than an hour he’d been prevented from kissing her. But if he took another step back, it had to be the best thing for them. The same knot of frustration still centered in his gut. That sweet mouth had been so close!

Yet, he’d made an admission he hadn’t planned on when he held her in his arms. He’d had no intention of telling her he missed her. But the cat was out of the bag now. Would she simply ignore it, or would they get around to talking about it?

When he dragged his eyes from Savannah, he caught the interested gaze of Maxine. Resignedly, he walked over to her.

“Hi, Maxine.”

“So how is Liliana? I was going to ask Savannah but she and Donald are engrossed in conversation. Your mother and I want to know.”

He flicked a glance at his mother. She stood next to Maxine, looking as innocent as a thief holding diamonds in her hand. A smug smile lifted her lips. He wanted to tell her, and the rest of the peanut gallery, that what they came across didn’t mean anything. But then again, he’d be lying.

Their separate families had been just as excited for the marriage as they were. They all got along. The same beliefs, similar interests, and a support infrastructure that wouldn’t collapse when the first sign of calamity or trouble hit. He remembered how Fiona couldn’t stop smiling at him.

“The doctor told us that Liliana has an infection. They have already administered antibiotics to treat it.”

“Where did she get an infection from?” Joslyn asked.

“Not sure,” he answered. “They’ll run some tests and we should have some more information then.”

Maxine patted him on the shoulder. “I’m glad to see you, Micah.” Her kind blue eyes looked upon him with warmth.

“The feeling’s mutual.”

“Fiona and Bart would have been so happy to have you here, too.”

“Yeah.” His throat choked in sudden sorrow. “I don’t know if Fiona and Bart ever told you, but I was the one who gave Liliana her name.”

Maxine and Joslyn gasped. “You did?” Joslyn asked.

He nodded. “Yeah. She and Bart had a hard time coming up with a name. This was before she found out she was pregnant.”

Long after I was gone. The bitter thought almost doused the nice memory but he refused to let it do so.

“Really?” Maxine tapped her chin with a forefinger. “She never told me. I just assumed she and Bart came up with Liliana’s name.”

“They both told me to give them the very best name I could think of, and I gave her Liliana. I thought they were humoring me. Had no idea they took my advice.” When Fiona had sent him the announcement in the mail about Liliana’s birth, he’d been surprised to see it. The sight of the name had warmed him.

“Why did you choose that one?”

Micah stilled. He couldn’t reveal the real reason why he’d chosen that name for them. “It was the first to come to mind,” he said, somewhat truthfully.

“Oh, my sweet boy!” Joslyn sighed, her gray eyes filled with such pride it embarrassed him.

“Mom, you don’t have to make such a big deal out of it.” Oh, great, now he sounded like he was sixteen again.

“The name fits my granddaughter perfectly.” Maxine beamed.

“So it would seem.”

“Wait a minute,” Maxine grabbed his arm. He looked down at her to see her brows drawn together. “Were you the one who gave Liliana that ladybug pillow she absolutely adores?”

Micah cleared his throat nervously. “Yeah. When I saw the announcement in the mail, I—I—”

He couldn’t finish the statement. The reasons behind his actions were just too personal to share. He’d sworn Fiona and Bart to secrecy about his involvement with Liliana’s name. It was nice to know they had bestowed him the honor of being part of their daughter’s development.

A shocked gasp made his head turn. Savannah stared with eyes wide as saucers. “Oh Micah,” she breathed out loud. A slender hand covered her mouth in anguish.

From the looks of it, Savannah had figured out everything he couldn’t say out loud to their mothers. It was there in the way a glassy sheen dampened those orbs. For the first time since they’d reunited, a look of dejection was stamped across her features. He made a caustic sound. Too little, too late.

“You of all people should be sorry, Savannah.”


Amber eyes dark with pain stared into hers. It was a pain she understood because she was the cause of it. Savannah’s blood chilled inside her veins and all the heat drained out. When she overheard Micah tell the women he’d been the one to name Liliana, she’d given up all pretense of listening to Donald.

“I had no idea,” she whispered. “Micah, I didn’t know.”

“You should have,” he retorted in a harsh tone. “You should have known.”

The pain in his eyes splintered her insides, cutting them with invisibles shards of glass. She caused this agony for him.

He turned away and her stomach recoiled. “Mom, Maxine, I have to go. I’ll catch up with you. Dad. Lawrence. Don.”

Without another word, he walked away from the group, his head high, but Savannah knew it was only pride that kept him upright.

“Savvy, what was that all about?” Joslyn asked with a concerned frown. “I’ve never seen him like that before.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.