Small Deaths - Cover

Small Deaths

Copyright© 2023 by TechnicDragon

Chapter 12

The security tech said that the killer had left the airport, but I wasn’t taking any chances. I watched the area waiting for someone to jump me.

Ms. Frasier followed closely, but then she veered off toward her car. “I’ll meet you at Arlington PD,” she called.

I nodded and stretched out my step. I found Eric’s car, unlocked it, climbed inside, and locked it again. I started the engine, adjusted the seat, and cranked up the heat. Eric and I never fully agreed on which radio station to listen to, so I simply turned the radio off. Once I got the car moving, I felt better. I left the parking building and made my way back to the highway.

Talk about a driving nightmare. I was beginning to believe I was far better off without a car. I took busses back and forth to school and work. I had never been so very aware of other people and what they were doing than while I was driving. More than anything, it was getting late and I saw headlights and taillights rather than vehicles. In some cases, it became confusing, and I was sure I had upset more than one motorist.

One person seemed to have taken such an affront to my driving that they decided to ride my bumper. I couldn’t see anything in my rearview mirror or the side mirrors except their headlights.

I wanted to wave them past me, but a line of cars was flowing past in the passing lane. I couldn’t go any faster, even if I wanted to, because of the cars in front of me. All I could do was keep my place and try to ignore the lights in my mirrors.

The exchange for Interstate 30 came up. I had to go West. The vehicle behind me took the same lane, sticking to me like our cars were attached. I didn’t understand why this driver thought what he was doing was a good idea, but it was beginning to irritate the hell out of me.

We hit I-30 and traffic was flowing freely. There were no jams, passing the car in front of you wasn’t too difficult. I thought, finally, I’ll be rid of this guy. But, no. He stayed on my rear bumper, crowding me, no matter what I did. Even when I changed lanes to pass a slower driver, they changed with me. Finally, my exit came up. But it didn’t matter. They followed me down the exit.

We had to stop at the red light, where I was in the left turn lane. He stood behind me, lights blazing away. I was beginning to think that this guy had his brights on too.

I made my left and eased down North Cooper. Cars passed us. I was sure several were cussing us out.

Once all the cars had passed, the vehicle behind me finally changed lanes and passed me. I sighed with relief at not having his lights in my eyes anymore, but that was short-lived.

The van, as it turned out, sped past me far enough to get in front of me. The driver break-checked me.

I tried to go around, but he swerved in my way, not letting me pass. Eventually, he brought us to a stop.

More cars passed us. As soon as they cleared, the van gunned it far enough ahead of me to turn, stop, and back up to block both lanes.

I stopped again, my nerves jumping. Then something told me I was in danger.

With my headlights on them, the doors of the van opened and three men climbed out. All of them wore balaclavas and brandished huge rifles.

I shook my head, threw the gear into reverse, and hit the gas. I didn’t care who was behind me or who was coming. I wasn’t going to sit there and allow those three to turn this car, with me inside, into Swiss cheese.

I watched behind me as cars came my way. Then I spotted a drive opening for a side street. I stopped just past it and then turned onto it. The road was a small loop that led around a long line of buildings and came out at Cooper again, only there was an opening in the median to the other side of Cooper. I took that, cutting off several other cars in the process.

I got back up onto I-30, heading east for two exits, then I got off, took the U-turn lane, got back onto I-30, and rode it for five exits. I knew the area well enough that I took several roads, and looped several blocks just to make sure no one was following me this time.

I made it back to my apartment complex and parked in front of my apartment.

I didn’t kill the engine or get out of the car right away. I sat there catching my breath and thinking.

Who were those guys? Why did they have weapons? Why stop me in the middle of the road? None of this made sense.

Wait. Two of the questions might have an answer. The couple that attacked me the day before. The man said he had a message for me. That had to mean someone sent them. What if the couple returned, had to report a failure in their mission, and the same person who sent them sent this trio? If there was some kind of price on my head, then it would stand to reason that whoever set up the first attack set up this one as well.

The guy from the first attack told me they had all sorts of information on me. Which meant they knew where I lived. I couldn’t stay at my apartment.

I climbed out of Eric’s car and ran up to my apartment. I popped my shield and touched my front door. I didn’t feel anything wrong from within, so I tested the doorknob. It was locked. I pulled out my keys, unlocked the door, and went inside.

I didn’t bother with the lights. I could see better than most cats in the dark with my Nightvision. I checked for intruders and then went to the bedroom. I grabbed a couple of gym bags and stuffed them with clothes and other sundries I would need over the next couple of days.

I also grabbed my laptop and its case. I would need to stay in communication. With everything slung over my shoulder, I locked up my apartment and went back to Eric’s car.

I left the apartment and drove around for a while. I didn’t know where I would stay, exactly, only that it would be in Arlington. Maybe somewhere close to the college campus.

After driving around for another twenty minutes, I found a Motel 6 on the south side of campus.

I pulled in, looking around the building. It didn’t look busy, so I pulled around to the front entry.

The man behind the counter was older, but not so old as to forget my name too soon. I only had enough money for two nights. It would give me enough time to find somewhere more secure to bed down until everything that was happening settled down – or I was dead, whichever happened first.

With my room key in hand, I parked Eric’s car around behind the building. Then I grabbed my phone, the room key, and the car keys. I locked up the car and went to my room.

I checked the room. I wasn’t looking for bugs or cleanliness. I wanted to make sure no one else was in the room. It was clear. I was letting my paranoia run away with me. I sat on my bed and held up my phone, about to call Stanfield, when I realized that if they knew my cell number, they could track me down by that. I quickly turned off the phone and then pulled the battery out of it. I lay all the parts on the side table and then picked up the motel-provided phone.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.