The Ship - Cover

The Ship

Copyright© 2023 by GraySapien

Chapter 34

The caravan returned two days later, escorted by a sheriff’s department SUV. The gate guard stepped through the gate and closed it behind him. Approaching the first car, he nodded at the driver. “This facility is closed to the public, sir. May I ask your business?”

“I represent the Federal Aviation Agency. I have business with the owner.”

“Do you have an appointment, Sir?”

“No. I attempted to gain an appointment with a Mister Fuqua, who I’m given to believe is the owner of record.”

“I’ll need to check the log book, sir, but I don’t believe Mister Fuqua is here.” A second, then a third man had exited the other cars and they now came forward to join the conversation. One of them asked, “Where is Mister Fuqua?”

“I don’t have that information, sir. All I can tell you is that we keep a log and he is not here.”

A uniformed deputy stood by, listening. His expression was bland. Perhaps his eyes twinkled behind the sunglasses; it was impossible to tell. Local police. as a rule, tend to dislike federal agents of any type. This might have to do with a tendency of federal enforcement officials to respond with arrogance when dealing with those they view as hicks.

“I don’t see anyone moving around. Are there other people inside? Is anyone working?”

“I’m not allowed to make statements about company affairs, Sir. I must ask you to leave; you do not have an appointment, and the person you’re seeking is not here. I can’t help you, gentlemen, and as I said, this facility is closed to the public.”

“By God, I’ll get an injunction and I’ll be back! You people have a lot of explaining to do!”

“Yes, sir. I’m not sure what you’re enjoining or why that might affect me, but I’m sure you’ll tell my replacement when you return. I’m a contract employee, charged with maintaining security, so I have nothing to do with what happens inside. I’ll also be going off duty soon, so I won’t be here when you return.”

The guard opened the gate, went inside, and locked the gate behind him. There was a folding chair by the building’s door and he sat down to wait.

A short meeting took place outside.

“This is a stall, I’ve seen enough to know one when I see it!”

“Maybe, but there are no cars here and no sign that anyone is working. I can’t hear anything, and if they’re really manufacturing something in that big building, we’d hear people working. I’ve never been to a factory that didn’t sound like—well, like a factory. There are always motors running, banging noises, people talking and moving around. This place is as silent as a tomb. Maybe when those others were arrested they decided to shut down?”

“Maybe. Deputy, do you have those other men in custody? The ones from that helicopter?”

“No, sir. They’re not in local or state custody. I have no information whether they’re still being detained by someone else, or if they are who might be doing it.”

“I can’t believe this! Armed men approaching this place and a standoff between them and military forces? And you don’t know where they are?”

“No, sir. I spend most of my time out in the field, so perhaps the sheriff can answer your questions. It wasn’t mentioned during the morning briefing.” Fuming, the men got back in their cars and left. The deputy waved casually at the guard, then turned his car and followed the federal vehicles.

He was smiling, despite the dust they’d stirred up.


The abortive raid of a week ago wasn’t mentioned when Frenchy telephoned Colonel Ponder.

“Morning, Colonel. If you’re still interested, I’m prepared to provide the lift units we discussed and the engineering staff to operate them. I will require the initial payment on the contract before I ship the units to White Sands.”

“I understand. Mister Fuqua, I mean no offense, but I’m told your plant is shut down.”

“It is. I may reopen it at some point, once the legal matters are resolved, but your units won’t be built there.”

“I—see. Permit me to ask, are you building them in-house?”

“Not completely. I’ve subcontracted some of the work. The frames are being manufactured in Mexico, and I assure you they have quite adequate facilities for such work. The passenger modules, which are really no more than racked seats, are also being made in Mexico. As a matter of fact, they can build those cheaper than I could have. Final assembly will be done at a satellite factory, and I’m not at liberty to tell you where that is.”

“I see. But you’re handling the assembly, and in any case you’re responsible for the quality of the units?”

“Of course. They’ll be thoroughly checked out before shipment.”

“Contract as we discussed? No change in unit pricing?”

“No changes. Payment to our corporate account, as specified originally.”

“I’ll get right on it, Mister Fuqua. And the delivery date, you won’t need a delay?”

“No delay. You do your part, I’ll do mine.”

“Nice talking to you, Mister Fuqua.”


“Mister Goldman, Senator Byington’s office is on the phone. Shall I put the call through?”

“Find out if it’s Byington himself or one of his staff, I don’t have time for them. Byington I’ll talk to, but interrupt me in five minutes; I don’t want to listen to him hit me up for more money.”

“Yes, sir. I’ll call you in five minutes.”

“Sol, how are you?”

“Doing reasonably well, senator. What can I do for the government today? This is not about that committee subpoena, is it? I’m busy, I don’t have time to spend days listening to your colleagues posture for the media. I’ve got a business to run.”

“No, and I’ll do what I can to make sure your visit is short and as pleasant as possible. “I was calling about that question we discussed before. You were concerned with the possible economic effects that fellow Sneyd might cause. I don’t know if you’re aware of this, but Sneyd died a couple of months ago. No public mention was made, but there was a coroner’s report. He’s definitely gone.”

“Too bad. What about the rest of the people involved?”

“Shut down, Sol. Their factory is locked and the employees have been laid off. Most of them, anyway. They filed for unemployment insurance payments through New Mexico, although the numbers don’t add up. Some may have already found other jobs, as much as half of them I’m told. Anyway, I don’t think you need worry about that little problem.”

“Excellent, Senator! I’m very glad to hear that. Did this have anything to do with that dustup on the Texas border?”

“That’s not clear. I can check on that if you’d like, but it probably doesn’t mean anything. I’d have heard if there was a connection.”

“Probably. Thanks for calling, Senator. Was there something else?”

“Now that you mention it, Sol, there was one thing...”


The captain glanced over his copilot’s uniform, found nothing that needed correcting, and led the way into the conference room.

“Be seated, gentlemen.” The speaker was an Air Force major general. He was flanked by four other officers, the lowest ranking one a lieutenant colonel. All wore pilot’s insignia.

The general waited for the two men to be seated, then picked up a stack of papers that were on the table in front of him. “I’ve chosen to keep this informal. We’re interested in facts. Whether those facts warrant a full investigation is yet to be determined. Are you clear on this, Captain? Lieutenant?”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.