The Ship - Cover

The Ship

Copyright© 2023 by GraySapien

Chapter 33

Chuck cocked his head. “That’s the Twin. Will just started the turbogenerators.”

“Want to watch, Chuck?” Joe asked. “We’re just about done here, as much as we can do until we’ve got time to tear down the oxygen system.”

“Yeah. Will says he’s got room enough, just, by using impeller trim assist during takeoff. Even so, he’s only got about ten degrees of up-angle to work with. It’s going to be tight.”

“Frenchy couldn’t wait?”

“No. If they subpoena him, he won’t have a choice. Even worse, someone might take it into their head to arrest him. Mel’s death was an accident, but that doesn’t mean someone won’t try to twist it around.”

The two watched from the rear personnel door. Moments later, the Twin clawed its way into the sky, leveled off to gain speed, then soared north. “I thought he was going west.”

“He is, Joe. No use in giving whoever is out there more information than we have to. Time for us to buckle in too; we won’t have much warning. Esteban is standing by the roof controls and Lina won’t tell him to open the hatches right away. The idea is to leave them open until we’re gone. Assuming this bird holds together.”

“Knock on wood, Chuck. No reason to giving fate a hint.”

“I hear you. We’ll turn on main power, the fuel cells can handle that with no problem using just ambient air, but leave the impellers powered down. Someone might hear the whine before Esteban gets the hatch open.”

“Hope we’ve got enough recharge power. You want to listen to the radios?”

“Yeah. Lina will have hers in voice-activate mode, so we’ll hear what she’s saying.”


“General, how long will it take you to activate Sudden Drop?”

“Less than an hour. Has something happened?”

“That Skycrane the Russians leased? It just took off from the Las Vegas airport.”

“Damn. If they’re heading for the factory, it’s going to be close. They’ve got a head start and the factory is roughly an hour’s flight time from Vegas. Cannon Air Force Base is closer and the Ospreys are faster than a Skycrane, but it’s going to be tight.”

“Cannon’s got troops, right? Special Ops people? Are you sending troops along?”

“I will if they’ve got anyone available, but the Special Ops wing is on alert this weekend. They’re tasked to participate in Desert Fury III and that kicked off two days ago. I’m not sure if they’re really all that involved, it’s mostly a ground exercise, but they might be there to pull the governor’s chain.”

“Governor?”

“Give me a minute, I’ll explain.” General Fuller dialed a number. “General, sorry to bother you. Request you activate Sudden Drop.”

“It’s happening, then? Wait one, I’ll get back to you.” The phone went dead. Moments later it rang. “General Fuller,” he answered.

“Stan, most of the wing is deployed. They had an Osprey in the shed for maintenance, checking part of the special ops package, but the rest of the systems are operational so it can fly. I ordered it sent your way immediately, and Rich will divert a couple of others from the exercise. He says he can spare them, but it will take a while for them to reach the objective. You’ve got your Sudden Drop, but be careful. We don’t want a lot of bad publicity over this, and for that matter we don’t want questions at all if we can help it! So far, we’ve just got an ongoing training exercise, meaning the extra flight is easy enough to explain. Are you in position to personally oversee Sudden Drop?”

“No, sir, I’m in Washington; I got the word by phone. The Russians leased that Skycrane, you know about that, but they loaded people into the cargo pod before it took off. I might be overreacting, but if so it won’t cause a problem. If we’re overwatching the factory and nobody shows, no harm done. If the Russians see an Osprey orbiting overhead, I hope they’ll be smart enough to head for home. No harm, no foul.”

“What if they get there first?”

“That—might present a problem. We can’t let them get that device. No matter what, we can’t allow that to happen.”

“I’ll get on the phone. Where’s the wing commander, Stan? Is he taking part in the exercise?”

“He’s there. We’re not really expecting a problem with the exercise, but you never know. Here’s the thing, the Texas Air Guard is not part of the exercise, but they’re flying too. They’re patrolling just across the border and so far, our guys are watching them while they watch us. I hope that governor was just trying to make points with his voting base, but I can’t decide if that’s what’s going on or if their politicians are really crazy enough to open fire on federal forces.”

“Jesus! And the Russians are sticking their noses into this clusterbleep?”


“Chuck, can you hear me?”

“Loud and clear, Lina. Are they here yet?”

“They’re stopped outside the gate, but they might have gotten creative. There’s a helicopter approaching, a big one that looks like a huge dragonfly. It just circled the area at first, but now they’re heading back.”

“That sounds like a Skycrane,” Chuck said. “It’s a cargo lifter that’s been around since the Vietnam War. Why would the FAA or DOT be using a heavy lift helicopter?”

“I don’t know, but it’s slowing down. That convoy of people just got here, and they’re still outside the gate. They’re pointing at it, and some are on their phones. Maybe they’re working together after all?”

“No idea, but watch your step. Tell you what, why don’t you go over to the gate and stay with the guards? I’d feel better. That cargo chopper, it might be here intending to take the—ah, things in the truck, by force.”

“Fat chance! They’re gone, or about to be. Chuck, be careful! I don’t like the looks of this!”

“I haven’t even seen it and I don’t like it! Let me know when that chopper lands, okay? I don’t want to open the roof hatch until they’re on the ground!”

“Will do. I’m heading for the gate now. I’m leaving a man on the door controls, he’s got a radio too.”

“Okay, but when you get there stay in the guard building. Where’s the helicopter now? I can hear him, but I can’t tell where he’s coming from.”

“He’s coming from the west, and there are two of them now. The other one just came in sight, it’s one of those funny ones with engines that pivot? It can take off or land like a helicopter, but it flies like a propeller plane?”

“The Marines use those, call them Ospreys or something. Okay, I don’t have a choice, I’m going to have to chance it. Love you, Lina. If I make it, meet me you know where as soon as you can, but don’t let anyone follow you.”

“Love you too. Chuck, be careful!”

“I will. I’m going to be kind of busy now, so...” Motors inside the assembly building burred and gears rumbled, opening the roof hatch. Farside’s impellers added their high-pitched whirr.

Outside the fence, the Skycrane eased toward a landing. Perhaps the pilot had decided there was insufficient room inside for the huge rotor blades.

The engine spooled down as soon as it landed and the cargo box beneath the fuselage descended to the ground. The support cables slacked, but remained attached. The front hatch opened and six men, all carrying assault rifles, trotted toward the front gate. The group that was already waiting there were using their phones, most making calls, but two appeared to be taking pictures.

“Inside, Miss Lina!” the guard snapped. “I don’t know who those people are, but I don’t like it.

“There’s another Osprey heading this way. I’ve seen them before, the Marines used them in the Sandbox, but they’re not showing Marine insignia. That first one is already transitioning, the motors are turning upright. It’s getting ready to land. Just stay inside and take cover below the walls. Don’t stick your head up, I know it’s tempting but you’ll get it shot off! Stay down until we find out what’s going on.”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.