The Ship - Cover

The Ship

Copyright© 2023 by GraySapien

Chapter 19

Chuck and Mel were drinking coffee in the hangar. “How long before you plan on doing flight tests on the Bedstead?”

“We’re starting tonight, Chuck. I’ll start with stability tests, then do maneuverability testing while the engineers look at the data. We’re expecting a weather front to move in later this week, which will give me a chance to do some wind tests and see to see how that affects handling. I’ll stay low while I’m doing it, though, probably under ten feet.

“I’ll just run that course you set up,” Mel went on, “the one that goes through the canyon before circling back here. We’ve got basic flight instruments on the panel now, so eventually I’ll want to try an instrument flight and landing, but before I do that I’ll want to know how responsive the system is. I’ll do it during daylight so I can take over if I have to. Eventually, we’ll need to do high altitude testing, and even by combining tests I figure a month, maybe six weeks, to get it all done.”

“I’ve also got flight instruments on my panel in the Twin Otter,” Chuck said. “Will wants me to try flying it from the backseat, using only the impeller controls. The turboprop controls are up front, but in theory I should be able to control the Twin using impellers alone. Maybe even land it, if the tests go okay.”

“No stick or rudder controls?”

“No, I shouldn’t need them, and if we’re wrong Will can take over. I’ll control yaw, turn left or right that is, by advancing or retarding the impeller power settings, and I can control pitch with the trim controls. As for turns, I can trim one impeller up and the other down to set up a bank, then bring both impellers up to complete the turn. It probably won’t be pretty, because I won’t have much roll control; I’m playing with a difference of ten degrees at most, so an impeller turn won’t be as quick as using the ailerons and the elevator and a precision turn just isn’t possible, but maybe the impellers could be used in an emergency. Will can take over if it looks like things aren’t working. We’ll be flying somewhere around ten thousand feet, giving him plenty of airspace to recover.

“I’m more concerned about you, Mel. The Bedstead was never intended to operate at altitude. Grandpa flew it to about forty feet, the original model I mean, but it was really touchy. It was so unstable that he didn’t stay up there long. The computer was in control, which probably helped, and he didn’t try any sharp turns.”

“We have to go higher if we’re going to take this system into space, Chuck,” said Mel. “You and Will are operating in the atmosphere and using wings and flight controls mostly, but we won’t know if everything works until we try it in space. Maybe not go into orbit, but above the stratosphere at least. Take it to where there’s not enough air for the controls to bite.”

“I understand the need, but I’m still a little concerned,” Chuck insisted.

“Chuck, would you fly the tests?”

“Mel, I intended to. But right now, I’m stove up from crashing the King, plus the team turned over an aerial system earlier than I expected. I can’t do both. Will and I agreed that I was the best guy for the Twin Otter testing, so I’m stuck. But I’m worried about you. Have you thought about a parachute for yourself? Maybe a sports chute?”

“Chuck, I wouldn’t know a damned thing about jumping! I put that cargo chute on the Bedstead for just that reason. The way I see it, I’ll be strapped into the seat if I have to deploy the chute, and that should keep me from being killed. I don’t really expect to need it, it’s just there as insurance and it’s also protection for the Bedstead. We’ve got a lot of time and money tied up in that thing, and right now it’s the only thing that’s flyable.”

“Test pilots wear a chute, Mel! That’s real insurance!”

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll be all right; you just worry about you and Will. The Twin doesn’t have any parachutes at all, and you’ll be flying at ten or twelve thousand feet.”

“I considered that, but with my busted ribs I couldn’t get out fast enough anyway. No reason to worry. Will has thousands of hours of flight time, and anyway we’ve got two power systems to work with. Not to mention a runway with plenty of taxi space.”

Mel left to check the battery installation on the Bedstead. Chuck finished his coffee and walked over to the King. No question about it, the frame was bent, the deck had buckled, and the starboard aft impeller had sheared off; it would require a major rebuild. He worked out ideas in his head as he walked around, studying the damage. He was engaged in this when Morty walked in.

“Hi, Grandpa. Come down to look at Chuck’s Catastrophe?”

“No, I wanted you to know that we got the first truckload of aluminum from that salvage company. Some is trash, but most of it should be usable. The skin panels and struts might have to be heated to anneal them, that’s fairly simple, but it will have to be done if we expect to use the aluminum on that ship we don’t talk about.”

“Still cheaper than buying new, I think. Any plans for that one?”

“Yep, I’ve got drawings and some of the specs in my computer, but hat’s preliminary data only. I want to talk to the engineers and probably to Lina, but I think it’s doable. I’m also planning to hire an aeronautical engineer to oversee the building project.”

“Lina, Grandpa?”

“Right, she’s almost finished with her degree in architectural design. Might as well get her input.”

“That makes sense. Grandpa, you still don’t look so good. Why don’t you take a couple of days off, get some rest? Maybe go into town, check into a motel, see a movie? Have a couple of good dinners and relax. You’ll be ready for another 78 years when you get back!”

“It’s 79, grandson, but I’ll be okay. I’ve always worked hard, you know that. It’s what I do.”

“I know. Maybe it’s what you used to do, and now it’s time to sit back and let me pick up some of the load. More of the load, I mean.”

“I’ll think about it,” Morty dismissed. “Maybe after your ribs heal up. When are you taking the Twin up?”

“Probably just before dusk. Will should be waking up about now. We’ll do a checkout of the plane and when it’s dark enough, we’ll go.”

“Flying the tests in the dark? I’m not sure I like that idea and I don’t think it’s necessary. No one is likely to notice the impellers where we mounted them.”

“They might notice when we shut down the engines and the props stop spinning!”

“I suppose, Morty agreed. “Well, I’ll leave you to it. I’ll see you when the test is over.”


Will and Chuck did a preflight inspection, walking around the Twin. The light needed for the inspection came from the dim glow of the shielded runway lights.

No longer a ‘Twin Otter’, it now had two Sneyd-Tesla impellers slung from mounts inboard from the engines. They fitted between the propeller arc and the fuselage, and there was less than six inches of clearance on each side. Chuck watched as Will wrapped his hands around the smooth front of the impeller housing and gave it a hard yank, checking to make sure it was firmly mounted. Satisfied, he continued with his inspection, checking ailerons and elevators as well as the state of the tires. When he reached the other impeller he gave it the same treatment. Finished, he helped Chuck into the passenger compartment and stowed the small ladder. “Ribs still hurting, Chuck?”

“Some. They’re getting better, though.”

“Good. I’m not expecting a rough ride, but when you’re flight-testing you’re never really sure. I plan to keep the speed in the middle of the envelope today, just take her up and fly. This bird isn’t stressed for aerobatics anyway, mostly it hauls cargo or passengers into remote areas that don’t have airports, not the kind that can handle bigger planes. That’s where the short takeoff and landing capability comes in. It’s a good transport plane for parachutists, too. Anyway, you get settled in, I’ll warm up the engines.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Chuck agreed.

Will settled into the cockpit and started the two turboprops. While they warmed up, he ran through a number of other checks, including establishing radio contact with Morty. Satisfied, he spoke to Chuck over the intercom. “Ready?”

“Wind ‘er up, Captain.”

Will didn’t respond verbally, but the fuselage quivered as the Twin began moving. For the moment, Chuck had nothing to do. The computer screen showed a blinking green square in the upper left corner, indicating that the system was operating. The two virtual gauges that would register power usage by the impellers indicated zero. The impeller trim controls were set to neutral, the small joystick centered.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.