The Drifter - Cover

The Drifter

Copyright© 2023 by happyhugo

Chapter 8

“Good trip?”

“Yeah. Sheriff, has there been any movement on selling those properties pof Sonny Saunders?”

“No, and I said I would handle things. It’s a problem. The one puncher who knew cattle the best left, not telling me. All who is left are two old farts who just want a place to hole up. These were all Johns’ men and hired on the cheap. I guess they would be alright if there were someone to boss them.”

“Can you ride out this afternoon? You said it isn’t far.”

“Yeah. You want to eat first?”

I turned to Brad “Do you want to take a ride and look at a ranch where your heifers ended up? I haven’t seen it yet either and as long as I’m here I might as well.”

“Sure, I’ll go along. I can imagine what the place looks like, knowing Johns.”

“We’ll see.”

The sheriff dug Mamie out of the aisle where she was talking and hanging onto the bars of Jack’s cell. She left and Bainbridge was shouting for the sheriff. “Buck, he wants to talk to you.”

I went in to see what Jack wanted. “Buck, Mamie used to be my woman. She read about me in the paper and come over here to see me. She’s got a half-way promise of a job next week, but she’s broke. Can you lend me enough so she can have shelter until she gets paid. You may have to wait a year for payback, but I’m good for it.”

“How much will it take?”

“Ten dollars should do it. That’ll give her a little money for food too.”

“I’ll see she gets it.”

“Thanks Buck.”

“Jack, do you know the ranch where Turner sold his heifers to”

“Yeah, been there several times with Turner. Too good a place for the likes of Tommy Johns. Why? Oh, I remember, Sonny was Johns’ heir.”

“Yeah, that’s right. Okay, Jack, I’ll see you in court tomorrow.”

I found Mamie outside by the horses. “Mamie, Jack asked me to speak to you. Do you have the job you told him you did?”

“Not really, but I’ll find one if I only get a room out of it. We made an awful mistake and separated. If I hadn’t gone off we would be common law married by now. I understand that time still counts, so I’m sticking right here with him. When the Judge says he has done his time, I’ll be right here.”

“That’s good. I like Jack. He asked me to give you some money for a place to sleep. Here is a little to get by. I’ll give you a bit more when court is done tomorrow.”

“Thank you. He said you were all white.”

I mounted up and we cantered out of town. The sheriff didn’t want to be with us, but he had taken on the job and had offered to show me the place before. The ranch lay in a long narrow valley about two miles from town. There was water flowing down the center. There were cattle feeding, both in the valley and up the sides.

Halfway up the valley was a long ranch house. It was tarpaper, but looked substantial. We pulled up and found no one there. Ten minutes later, we saw a man each side of the crick, slowly weaving their way through a herd of cattle. They were looking to the cattle’s condition.

“They’re doing their job, anyway, Sheriff.”

“Yeah, they are. Maybe I’m frustrated that I haven’t been able to find a buyer. There do need to be a boss of some kind out here though.”

“I’ll think about it and see if I can come up with an answer.”

Chip and Dingle saw us and rode in to see us. “Howdy Sheriff, you get us some help? Dingle and I are pretty good, but we need some help especially getting food up for us. The last time I mixed up something we both was sick. We are tempted to walk off and forget the place”

“Okay Chip, I’ll look around a little harder.”

“Are you the man who wants to sell this place? I’m telling you, you are a damned fool. This place has everything summer or winter. I wish I had the money. Old as I am I’d buy it in a minute.”

“That’s a pretty good sales pitch. That is if I was buying, but I’m selling.”

“I still say you’re a damned fool. Remember this is a deeded place. Johns did some kind of dirty deal when he got it. That was Johns though, cheat everyone, if he could.”

I changed the subject. “How’s the cattle? Are most of them bred to come in when?”

“Late in the season and they may be some trouble calving. There were bred awful young. I haven’t seen any trouble yet though. That’ll come a month or so before they drop their calves.”

Brad asked, “You mean the cow not being able to hold the calf to full term?”

“Yeah that, but I’m probably just borrowing trouble.”

“I hope not.”

“You know cattle, Mister?”

“I’d like to think so. These heifers came from the Turner place. I married his widow. I’m just getting familiar with the Turner ranch. I grew up on a cattle ranch north and east of here.”

“Well that’s good. Don’t be in no damned rush to get rid of this place. I like it here except we could use a little more help. Even if the new hand wasn’t into cattle much and could cook, we’d be happy.”

“I’ll look into it. Sheriff, I guess I’ve seen enough for today. Let’s head back to town. It’ll be dark soon. I’ll buy you dinner when we get in.”

“Obliged.”

The Judge came in right after we had ordered dinner. I asked him to sit with us. “Good, I want a first hand account about what you know about the men who are coming before me in the morning.”

I told the whole story about how Deputy Sims had made me a temporary deputy to track the men who had assaulted the store clerk and what followed during their capture.

“Give me your impression of each one and why they acted like they did.”

I named the person who had assaulted Johnny, the clerk. Two who apparently were just along for the ride and Jack Bainbridge whom I thought controlled all of them when there could have been violence. I had taken their parole in two instances and was confident that it was Bainbridge, who urged them all to stay with the parole.

“Anything else?”

“A couple of things. The four of them were at the ranch and there was no violence and they showed my wife respect in every way. Going back to Jim Turner’s death, I learned that Bainbridge observed when he died and was there, but not in a position to prevent it. He later told Deputy Sims what and how it happened. This closed the Deputy’s investigation. My wife hasn’t been informed yet. I’ll let Sims inform her. She’ll be pleased because we were afraid that our ward, Sonny may have been involved. He was, but under duress.”

“That’s good to know. I liked the boy. I also think you are doing a great job with him. Deputy Sims has informed me how much you are working to make him a good future.”

“Judge, there is one other thing that Bainbridge did that impressed me. The other three prisoners might not think so. When I was getting ready to bring them here this morning, Bainbridge warned me not to let them carry their guns like I did the time before. Those are coming on the stage, and maybe here already, I don’t know. He warned me that somehow they had acquired some shells for their guns. Sims took care of that by telling them that they were going to be searched before mounting up.”

“Did he find any shells?”

“No, but we suspected that if they had any, they went down the hole in the outhouse. Anyway, it gave me confidence to ask for their parole and have it obeyed.”

“You and Sims handled that very well.”

“Thanks. Judge, I don’t want to influence you at all, but Sherriff Carlson is having trouble selling the Johns ranch that Sonny is heir to. There is another man needed to handle the ranch because at present it is short handed. I think if when Jack Bainbridge finishes his sentence, I’ll put him in charge of the ranch and keep it instead of selling it.

“Right now there are just heifers on it and in the spring there will be a crop of calves. I’ll have some cow units to sell after these are rebred with this years calves by their side. There will be some money to add to what Sonny got from the Johns’ estate.”

“That sounds like a good move. You do know that a woman has shown up here looking for Bainbridge. She claims they lived together. She split from him and now regrets it. Have you any thoughts on the matter?”

“I’d put the two together and put them on the ranch.”

Brad Owen spoke, “Buck has already advanced some money on Bainbridge’s behalf. He gave her money for a room and meals.”

“I’ll think on this and decide what to do when they all come before me in the morning. Are you looking to employ any of the other three?”

“No, they didn’t impress me. One made a comment to my wife and I wouldn’t take him on at all. One of the others knocked the clerk around.”

Brad and I got a room. He questioned me, “Are you sure you are doing the right thing about hiring those two?”

“I believe so. I have a need for them. Bainbridge will be sitting in jail for a spell if I don’t help get him out. If those two hands that are there out at the ranch leave, I’ll have to be down here tending to them and the ranch myself. I want to be home with my wife. I’ve been thinking about the future of this ranch, now that I have made the decision to keep it. I think I may buy some good bulls to breed the heifers and make a push to eventually upgrade my whole herd where they’ll sell at a premium. It’ll take five years, but I’m young.”

“How would that work?”

“I’ll buy bulls enough for this herd and save the best of the bull calves when they are dropped. Those will sell for as much as a year older steer. The heifer calves will be bred back to a better bull, and those calves will sell for even more. I’ll keep repeating this and at the end of five years, the bull calves will be as good as the bulls that I bought. I can go on having a new breed of cattle that are at least half more in weight than what I’m selling now. Both heifers and bulls will sell at a premium.”

“That’s pretty ambitious?”

“Yeah, do you want to put your name in for some of these calves I’m going to have?”

“Of course I do.”

“Good, you’re in. Talk to Steve and see if he wants in, too. I’ll keep the breeding operation here fairly small. I believe I’ll reach the goal of having almost a new breed of heavier cattle right here in this neck of the county and my neighbors will be part of it.”

Brad and I, with the sheriff, walked the prisoners up to the courthouse. Mamie was there following along. Mamie had gotten word to Jack that I had given her money for a room and he thanked me as we were walking along.

There were two observers in court other than the judge, a court clerk and us involved in the case. One was Brad Owen and of, course Mamie Elder.

Judge Black had all four of the prisoners up before him. His first question was, “Who knocked around Johnny, the store clerk?”

Finally, one raised his hand. “I did your honor. He wouldn’t shut up.”

“Four months here in the county jail. Bainbridge, step back I’ll deal with you last. I don’t know what you damned fools were thinking. That’s just it, you weren’t thinking. Three months each for you two. You’re going to eat and you’re going to be warm this winter and you’re also going to be out in the town shoveling snow and cleaning the horseshit out of the streets. When you get out, you’re going to leave the county. Mr. Owen, would you take them back to the jail for me, please.”

We all grinned, Judge Black didn’t mess around. “Now Mr. Bainbridge, your case is just a little different. Mr. and Mrs. Harrison have spoken on your behalf. The then Mrs. Turner told Mr. Harrison that you made sure she was respected even back when he worked at her ranch. Also, you have cleared up a case for Deputy Sims so that has been resolved. There were a couple of other things that don’t need noting in the files.

“Mr. Harrison needs a hand working for him at the former Johns’ ranch. Is that anything you’d be interested in?”

“I would definitely be interested.”

“Good. I sentence to one month here in the county prison. If you would give the court your parole to work faithfully for Mr. Harrison for that length of time, give it and I’ll set you free today. I must say you have no better friends than the Harrisons.”

“Your honor, I freely give my parole. I would like to thank Buck for speaking up for me and ask that he would carry word to Betty for doing the same.”

“I’m sure he will. Mamie Elder, please come before the bench. You have stated that if you hadn’t left Jack Bainbridge three years ago, you would be considered married under the Common Law Statute.”

“That’s true, your honor. Worst mistake I ever made. When I went to look for him, he had moved on. Last afternoon the Sheriff Carlson let me talk to Jack. He will take me back.”

“Is that right, Mr. Bainbridge?”

“I certainly would. I’ve missed her terribly. I have a job now and I can support her and have a place to take her to. Before, I was only a spare hand and I didn’t blame her that much for leaving. Would you order her to stay with me now and in the future?”

Judge Black grinned, “So ordered, In fact I’ll give the order that you are now married under said statute, counting the time you have been together and apart as time in the relationship.” He banged his gavel and announced that court adjourned.

Mamie rushed over and hugged me. She even tried to hug the sheriff. She didn’t attempt to hug the Judge, considering that it was too much. I was beginning to feel rushed. “Sheriff Carlson, would you do me a favor. I want to get on home. Before Jack and his Mrs. go out to the ranch, would you take Jack into the bank so he can draw funds from the account that was set up for Sonny. That will be for needs of the ranch including money for food. I’ll contact the bank by mail about wages. I gave Mamie some money last night and I have $40 dollars to give Jack which should hold him for a month. I have to talk things over with Betty before I set the wages.

“Jack you can tell the Chip and Dingle out there that they will be getting a couple dollars more a month from now on.”

“I can do that. You and Brad Owen have a nice trip home. Thanks for everything. You’re a man to depend on.”

“Thanks Sheriff.” Brad and I mounted up at the livery stable and we headed for home.

Brad Owen was staying over when we got back to town. His kids lived in town during school and went home on weekends. I got on my own horse and sped right along. I went right up to the door, just ground hitching my horse. I burst through the door and Betty was standing there with open arms.

“Buck, damn you, you were just going to town and comeback. Two whole nights you were gone.”

“You miss me?”

She just tucked her face into my chest and nodded. I held her like that. “Do you want some supper? I made some pie out of that left-over chicken. There is some left. The damned chicken never did get tender. Next time we kill one, I’m stewing it.”

“Nobody said anything.”

“Oh yes they did. Sonny said one word.”

“What was that?”

“Tough.” I laughed.

“Did Tad, that rider of Brad’s get word to you okay?”

“Yes. I was awful disappointed, though.”

“I was too. But Sims was banged up and he wanted them off his hands. These things happen. Our civic duty, you know.”

“I know. And it is good that you can be depended on. I hope you won’t be called on again for awhile.”

“I shouldn’t be. Oh, one more thing, I hired Jack Bainbridge to work on Sonny’s ranch.”

“I thought he was going to be in jail.”

“I talked the Judge down to one month and then suggested that Jack would give his parole to the court for that month and sent him along out to the ranch. I got an idea about the ranch and have decided to keep it. With Jack managing it, I won’t have to go there very often.”

“We’ll discuss it about why you would do that. Eat now while I heat some water. You smell horsy.”

“Okay, but I have to put my horse up.”

“I’ll have one of the men do it. I had a bath this afternoon. I did expect you home for tonight.”

“And here I am.”


Our life settled down. The men, and sometimes me, were out with the cattle every morning. We finished the road to the Owen ranch as far as their line. They were working in from their end and by spring, the road would be ready to smooth out for wagon travel. Brad Owen and Steve Murphy were interested in my project to buy better bulls with the idea to improve our herds. We heard about the breed of bull I was looking at. The three of us made a trip down see during the January thaw.

I seemed to be the only rancher of the three ranches who had funds to buy the bulls. We set the conditions of how we would work this. I would get together with Judge Black when I went to Mountain Gap. He approved of what I was trying to do. I was using Betty and my money to buy the bulls.

The four of us took an undivided interest in the heifers we were starting with. Sonny was one of the four. When weaned, the new calves, sired by the new bulls, would be kept separate. The Heifers would become the new breed stock, and the bull calves would be cut, raised as steers. Brad and Owen and would have their pick of this breed stock to either. raise as steers or start their own breeding program. Of course that would e from next year’s calf crop.

Every year, I’d keep the best stock of the new breed, culling the smaller cows of the original herd, replacing these with the new calves, I figured in five years, I would have a line of cattle that would be a strain that would breed true. I would keep the number of cattle at the Heifer ranch the same as it was now. In other words, use this as a strictly breeding operation. The culls, I didn’t need for this operation, I would raise for market on the home ranch or sell to Brad and Owen.

Over a few years, the stock on the three larger ranches, would improve to give us all a breed of cattle that were larger and heavier.

These were always flying trips to Mountain Gap. I was keeping to the plan of only going once a month. The February trip, I had my nephew, Erik Harrison with me. I settled him in. Erik was to learn the business of ranching away from his father, it giving him a different prospective.

Jack Bainbridge was doing a great job and it was a happy camp with Mamie there to do the cooking. She was a willing worker, doing the laundry and other chores as well as the cooking. There was nothing slovenly about the whole place. Jack easily understood what I was doing and embraced it totally. I couldn’t have picked a better person for this type of project.

On the home ranch, when we had time, and whether permitting, we cut timber for the addition we were putting up. The person who we hired to hew out the heavy timbers and flatten the poles on one side tor the joist and rafters gave me a list of sizes and length. I engaged a construction carpenter to do this while we were doing roundup in the spring. Betty was of course getting bigger and bigger all the time, but she was a healthy and energetic person so we didn’t worry about her and the coming baby.

March brought heavy snow and wind. The cows were heavy with calves, but the animals always managed to find browse. Another storm hit us the first week of April. Calving started the second week of April and continued into May.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.