The Drifter - Cover

The Drifter

Copyright© 2023 by happyhugo

Chapter 7

We went down the road toward the Gap. I stopped and lit two matches and I had my answer. There were matching horse tracks coming toward town with fresh ones going in the opposite direction. I remembered Betty telling me there was a turnoff that went around the town that interconnected with the road to our ranch. I slowed down and with the moon shining bright as it was, I stopped at every wide spot in the trail, to see if this was the place where it began.

Three times I stopped and got down from my horse before I found it. Yes, the horses had turned into the trail. “Will and Burt, it looks like they are headed for my ranch. We’ll take this trail and then head for home. The only thing that worries me is whether Betty will get home before this bunch get there. We’ll poke right along.”

Will asked, “How far to your road and then how far to your ranch. We’ve been more than a forty-five minutes out from town already.”

“Well, it will be at least two hours before we see my place.”

“Let’s go then.” We stopped only twice. Once when we hit our road and again when we came out of the woods onto our flats. Both times I checked, it showed the horse tracks on top of the wagon tracks. This meant that probably Betty and the rest were in the outlaw hands at the ranch house.

“Buck, how are you going to handle this?”

“Can’t tell yet.”

“You don’t seem too worried?”

“You don’t believe that, do you?”

“No,

“I’m worried, but it is no good to obsess about Betty and Joe. Hell, with Joe and Betty they are sensible. We will go in cautiously and not bull right into the place.”

We rode wide of the buildings, coming in behind the barn. The moon had gone down, and it was full dark and it had to be within an hour of dawn ... probably two hours before for full daylight. I struck a match and could see that the robbers had turned their horses into the corral. They had only loosened the cinches and had taken time to pitch some hay to them and they were feeding contentedly.

I eased around to the door of the bunkhouse. The door had a hasp on it. Someone had stuck a peg through it which effectively made it so whoever was inside couldn’t get out. I knocked softly. There was no answer. Then I saw a crack of light appear from under the door. I took a chance and pulled the peg and opened the door. Zeke was standing there. “Better blow out the lamp. Why don’t you guys get dressed and come out with me. Put your heavy coats on. Burt and my brother are here. Is Betty all right?”

Joe answered, “They got her in your room. All four of them are drinking coffee. I don’t think they have bothered her. She’s kind of feisty. One of them men worked for her husband and I guess that’s why they decided to hole up here for a day or two. He didn’t know Betty had taken another husband. They do now. She told him he had better get to hell gone, before you came back. He laughed at her, asking what could you do? There were four of them. You got any plan?”

“Not much of one. First Sonny, can you do something for me?”

“Yeah,”

“Okay, you have heard me whistle. I want you to go into the horse corral with a blanket. You may need it to keep warm. I want you to open the gate and stand there. If you hear me whistle, fake the blanket and drive the horses out through the gate, run after then, and drive them off a good distance. Then lay down so no one can see you. You’ll have the blanket to keep warm until I shout you can come back. Do you understand?”

“Yeah. Open the gate and if I hear you whistle, I’m to chase the horses out and hide myself.”

“That’s it exactly.”

“Will, you take the front door and watch it in case someone comes out. Joe, take the rifle and cover the front of the house with Will. Burt, I’m giving you the shotgun to back me up. I’m going to try and tell Betty to announce she needs to go to the toilet out back. We may have to wait until it gets a bit lighter, so she can see me outside her window. Zeke, you keep out of sight. You had better bring a blanket or heavy coat for Betty if I can get her free. It is up to you to take care of her if I’m successful.”

Will said, “We can handle the front okay. What about the boy? If those guys get loose and go looking for their mounts and can’t find them, they’ll raise Hell.” “Sonny will do just as I said. I know when he repeats it back to me, it is like it is cast in stone. Burt, go be around back. You keep out of sight. I want to get Betty away from the house. I expect one man will come out with her to keep her from running away. I hope to get a gun on him and shut him down. Now if more than one come out and go after me and I can’t handle it, shout my name and aim high with that scatter gun, because I’ll drop flat on the ground. Got that?”

“Got it.”

There was just a little lighter sky now in the east. Zeke brought a blanket and he and Burt went behind the house. There was room off to the side by the woodpiles to be out of sight. I went up to the end of the house where the window was and looked in where the shade was up about two inches.

Betty’s door was closed and there was a lamp lighted on a table at the end of the bed. Betty was sitting up. Her head was bowed, it looked like she was just waiting for time to pass. She did for some reason glance over her shoulder toward the window. All or nothing I thumbed a match which flared brightly. She was aware, but startled. When she turned and saw it, she climbed on the bed. I dropped the match and could only see her outline.

I put my fingers to my lips telling her to be quiet without me making a sound. She could now see my finger and I tried spelling out on the window, (Toilet) which confused her. I realized I was writing it wrong and she was looking at it in reverse. I then started on my right and slowly letter by letter and moving from her left to right wrote, (Toilet pee bad). She got it and nodded her head. I put my hand to the window and waved, withdrawing to the back of the house.

I heard her urgently shout, “Jack Bainbridge.”

I hurried around back. I couldn’t see either Burt or Zeke, which is the way I wanted it. The door opened and a man came out and looked around. Coming from a lighted room, I was sure he couldn’t see much. “Okay, woman, come out and go right into the backhouse. You have any trouble, I’ll come in and hold your hand.”

“Careful whatever your name is. Jack respects me and you had better too.”

“It’s cold out here. Get it done woman.” He sat down on the steps in front of the toilet door. He had come out with a pistol in his hand and laid this on the top step where he was sitting. He began building a smoke with a paper and loose tobacco. After licking the paper, he had his smoke and stuck one end in his mouth. When he reached for a match to light it, I stepped in front of him and my gun was about one foot in front of his eyes.

“Go ahead and light it if you want to. I’m going to tie your hands in about five minutes so you got that long to enjoy it. Betty, hurry up in there.”

“Buck, I can’t yet. I have to finish.”

“Okay, Zeke is here with an extra blanket. It’s the barn for you to hide in.”

“No, I’m going to the bunkhouse, it’ll be warm in there.”

I paused thinking, “Okay, I guess. Zeke doesn’t have a gun and I don’t have one to give him.”

“I’ll trust you to keep me out of harms way. You have already haven’t you?” Betty came out and kissed me quickly. Zeke was there to put the blanket around her and they headed for the bunkhouse.

“Burt, I guess you’ll have to stay out back here. I’ll go see if I can get these guys to surrender. I’ll see if I can talk them down.”

“Good luck with that, Buck.”

“Burt, don’t use that scattergun unless it’s absolutely necessary.”

“That’s what I was hoping for. Never had to before and don’t want to now.”

“Good.” I went around front. It was getting light enough to see pretty well. I gave it another fifteen minutes. Time to finish this up. “Hey Jack, in the house. I’ve got one of your men tied up in the bunkhouse. I kinda would like it if you would leave your guns in the house and come out. You can join him there until I get you headed for town.

“For one thing I’m an acting deputy. I’m also Betty’s husband. What you did here, I could forget. However, I’m taking you back to town and lock you in Sims’ Jail. There is a shotgun pointed at the back door. One with Number Four shot in it. There are three of us out here in front. I’d advise you talk it over and decide what you want to do. For your information, your horses are scattered so they aren’t available.”

Zeke came around from the bunkhouse. I sent him down to get Sonny to close the gate to the corral. The horses were safe right where they were. Both of them then could go stay with Betty in the bunkhouse.

Ten minutes later, Jack Bainbridge said he and the other two of them were coming out. We walked them around to the bunkhouse. I opened the door and told Betty the house was now hers again and that I would be in, in a little bit. I herded the four prisoners in and made a little speech,

“Here’s the deal men, none of us have had any sleep. We’ll get a few hours sleep and then I’ll load you up and take you into town. You ain’t done anything to hang for. I’m guessing you might get a year in the county jail in Mountain Gap. Betty will tell the court she was respected in all ways. A warning, don’t mess with Will. I’ve seen him put a man his size on the floor out cold from just a back hand. So get some shuteye. I’m asking for you not to cause anymore trouble.” I put the peg in the hasp when I walked away.


My three men took the back room to sleep in. The floor would have to do. Sonny was sleeping in the chair in the kitchen. Betty and I went to bed. Will was as tired as I was, but he said he’d check on the bunkhouse. All of us were tired so soon were asleep. I woke up a couple of hours later. Sonny had gone down to the barn to feed the animals. I put coffee on and took a good-sized piece of meat from the cold box we stored it in outside and chunked it up. I used Betty’s sixteen-quart kettle to cook it in. This done, I sat in the chair that Sonny had left, knowing he would stay in the barn with the chickens.

Two hours later, I awoke to Betty while making coffee. I pulled her into my arms for a little cuddle. “Betty, you never got to sing, Silent Night.”

“No, and there was nothing like last night that was silent either. What are you doing today?”

“I’m loading up the buckboard with those men and taking them to town. I’ll take Joe with me and leave Will here to get some sleep and to talk about family. That meat should be done enough to eat before we leave. I’ll drop them at the jail and be home within four and a half hours from when I leave. They won’t be my responsibility after that.”

“Buck, I want you home. We’ve got some serious loving to do that was supposed to happen last night.”

“I know and I want the same. I’ll get things organized and get going here shortly. Take out enough of that stew to feed our people and I’ll take the rest down to the bunkhouse to feed the prisoners.”

I walked into the bunkhouse with the bucket of stew. I had sent Burt to the barn for their cups and bowls from their bedrolls. He brought them in just after I had set the stew down and I told Will to go up to the house to eat. I sat there on the edge of the bunk watching the stew disappear. “Damn, that was good.”

Jack answered, “She was always a good cook. Too bad Turner was killed or I would still be working here.”

“Was he killed or just die in an accident?”

Emphatically, Jack stated, “I had nothing to do with his death! It was no accident, though.”

“Do you want to tell me about it?”

“No, I guess not. You are her husband now and bound to tell her.”

I wanted to push him, but I was afraid he wouldn’t tell anyone. “Jack, I’m not going to push you on this. The deputy does want to clear this up. If you told him what you know, it might help you when you get to court.”

“I’ll think about it.” I shrugged my shoulders. There was another thought on his mind. “Say Buck, do we really have to sit in that buck board all the way to town. It’s going to mighty rough.

I thought this over. “Make a deal with you. You give me your parole and I’ll let you ride your horses. First though, I want the money you took from the store and the guns supplies. The food you took, I’ll keep what’s left here for feeding you Guys. Maybe the store owner will give it to me for him getting his money back.”

“Deal.” This made me happy because I’d save an hour in time and wouldn’t have to sit on the damned wagon coming home.

“Alright, we might as well get started. Hell to leave these warm quarters.”

“Yeah isn’t it. I hope they got that jail warmed up for us.” I laughed.

I walked the men down to the barn. Sonny, before coming in last night had unsaddled the horses and thrown the saddles inside on the barn floor. Each one roped their own horse. I saddled the deputy’s mount I had ridden yesterday and I was riding that. Sonny came in and I asked him to saddle my horse. I’d have one of the prisoners, lead it. Sonny then saddled Joe’s horse. He swung onto that horse and we rode up in front of the house.

Will came out, “Are you sure you don’t want me to go with you?”

“I’m sure.” I grinned. “Betty was the one to write you the letter. She can entertain you. First, though get a flower sack, and collect the money and stuff from these fellows and tie it here on my saddle. They’re wearing their guns, but I have all their shells.”

“You’re awful trusting, Buck.”

“I made a deal with them. I expect them to do the same.” Joe swung into his saddle. He had our rifle in the scabbard tied to one side of his saddle. He had also fashioned a sling for the shotgun and it hung down the other side. He and I were the only ones with loaded handguns. I leaned down now and Betty came to me, slid her hands down my face, and puckered her lips, smiled and backed off.

I wheeled and headed across the flats. The four prisoners came in behind me and Joe followed up the rear. My horse on a lead was with the last in line ahead of Joe. I was anxious to get this over with and I kept a fast pace all the way to town. We swung into the street and rode to the deputy’s office. He was there and had hobbled to the door.

“Ron, these are the guys we were looking for. They ended up at my place. Jack there, will tell you all about it. Inside men, and pile your guns and belts on the desk. Ron, I got two sacks here. One has the money they stole and some of the other stuff they took from the store. I fed out most of the foodstuff except a slab of bacon. I kept that. If the store wants payment, they’ll have to go to Sheriff Carlson. You men file into those cells and then I’ll release you from your parole.

“Ron, these aren’t real bad guys. Ask them how I caught them? I think they just made a mistake and are willing to pay for it.”

“You paroled them?”

“You heard me. Jack Bainbridge was the leader and he worked for Turner until he died. Ask him about that death. He was going to tell me something, but it is you who should know what he knows. You can be the one to pass it on to Betty. Oh, you want me to swing by the livery to come get these horses?”

“Yeah, I suppose. God, it’ll me night before I get done here.”

“I know, but that was done while I was your deputy. Now I’m just a private citizen.” Joe road up close, and handed Ron the shotgun. We wheeled and cantered back the way we came from.

“Buck, this whole thing went damned smooth. Not one shot was fired, nobody got hurt, you caught the thieves and put them in jail, During that time we ate, got a little sleep, and it ain’t been twenty-four hours yet. Along with that, you’ve had me on a horse for almost thirty miles by the time we get home.”

“That’s stretching it a little.”

“Maybe, but I could say it was thirty-five miles and I would be believed.” I laughed and picked up the pace.

Everyone was surprised to see Joe and me, back so soon. All had been in the house while we were gone. Betty had made Christmas cookies. She had sent Burt and Sonny after a small tree. She had them pop some corn and string it. Also, she showed them how to cut some colored wrapping paper into strips and use a flour and water paste to make rings for a chain. She had also purchased a dozen little net bags of colored hard candy at the store and those were hung. That was about it, and oh so pretty. Sonny and Zeke sat and stared at tree.

“What did you do, Will?”

“Nothin. Your wife is a treasure, you know. You lucked out, Boy.”

“I know, and she is amazing.” Betty flashed us a smile.

And then, Betty said, “Okay, everyone clear out, I’m starting supper. Will and Buck, go into the back room if you want to talk.” There were no chairs in there so we picked two kitchen chairs to take with us.

“So Will, how are things now that I’m not your ramrod any longer?”

“Buck, I was kinda’ hoping you hadn’t found a place yet. I guess I had let you do too much of my work. I’ve never had to work as hard as I have since you took off. You got any of that money left that came to you in Ma’s will?”

I couldn’t help but grin at this. “Yeah. All but about $500.00 dollars. That’s what I gave Betty for half the place the first night I met her. That includes all the cattle and all the land.”

“How many head do you have? I looked over the flats today. There must be about 2500 hundred of different sizes feeding out there?”

“I haven’t counted them, but that’s my guess. I’ve only been here four months, you know. I didn’t come directly here when I left the home place.”

“You got that much, still. Did Betty have any money?”

“Nope she thought she was dead broke when we met. She thought her husband had some hidden. He had sold his yearly herd of steers and later he sold a big bunch of yearling heifers. He only allowed her two hundred dollars a month for food and things around the ranch here. He was cheap as all get out. After his parents died, he turned all his neighbors away. He wouldn’t let Betty go into town alone because he was afraid she would buy something he thought she wouldn’t need.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.