Incomprehensible Cosmic Horror - Cover

Incomprehensible Cosmic Horror

by maxathron

Copyright© 2023 by maxathron

Science Fiction Story: The forest is home to an incomprehensible cosmic horror that leaves everyone either dead or mad in the information and power that it wields. No one is allowed to enter the forest lest it decides that it wants to come out.

Tags: Science Fiction   Aliens  

In the middle of a particular forest clearing deep in the woods was the most pristine of magical location. Everything was perfect. The temperature was soft and mild year-round. The air was free of pollutants. The wind never blew more than a mid-summer breeze. Varieties of fruit trees constantly produced nourishment. And the spring always had fresh water to drink.

This seemingly impossible place was stricken from the town’s list of places to go and explore. The reason for it was that the clearing was home to a supernatural entity that defied all physics, both the natural laws of the universe as well as the magical laws of the universe.

It was a cosmic horror beyond comprehension. Many a people who came into this particular forest but all were driven insane from the knowledge the entity possessed or went mad when they looked into its eyes. Attempts to vanquish it from this realm were met with failure. From adventuring parties to entire armies, all were defeated when they tried to banish the entity. Spells intended to contain the entity bounced off it and the surrounding forest.

The kingdom and its court wizards decided it would be best that the forest be stricken from the list of places to go. Superstition helped to keep people away from the forest and the entity that lived at its heart. It was either that or they would inevitably meet their demise at the hands of the otherworldly being.

Additionally, the kingdom had its highest wizards and pasters erect a series of wards and prayers around the forest, as a last-ditch effort to keep people from wandering in and getting killed. All this because nothing could be done about the horror that lie within. Hopefully that entity would not decide to come out of the forest. Who knows what could happen with a being that could not be affected by anything. Better keep people away lest its anger be stirred.

All these precautions made against the entity in the forest, and yet standing right in front of the entity was a little girl, unafraid of it and its unknowable powers.

Her name was Anesia. Despite the warnings of her elders, she ventured into the forest. Anesia did not know of the horror at its center; she was there to play and explore the woods behind her home. To her there was little that truly frightened her, and this being of the forest was not included in that list.

“Aww, what is a cute little puppy dog like you doing out here in the forest clearing?”

The being looked up at Anesia.

“Rwarru?” (“Living here?”)

“May I pet you?

The being smiled and started to wag its tail back and forth. Anesia took that as an affirmative. She knelt down and rubbed its head and face. The being continued to wag its tail. Anesia gave it a few minutes, even going so far as giving it scritches behind its ear. The being loved every minute of it.

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.