Climbing the Ladder - The Second Rung - Cover

Climbing the Ladder - The Second Rung

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 51: As if THAT was news!

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 51: As if THAT was news! - 'Climbing the Ladder' is a story in the 'A Well-Lived Life' universe, and provides backstory for Spurgeon Capital, the Spurgeon family, the Glass family, the Lundgren family, Anala Subramani, Tom Quinn, and others from the 'A Well-Lived Life' series. Follow along as the adventures of Jonathan Kane continue!

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Mult   Rags To Riches   Workplace  

January 21, 1983, Chicago, Illinois

We picked up Allyson outside her dorm at Loyola, then headed for Jeri's house in Kenwood.

"Allyson, Nelson Boyd, Esquire, Attorney at Law. Nelson, Allyson Crowley, pre-med."

"Hi!" they both said.

"What year, Allyson?" Nelson asked.

"I'm a Sophomore. How long have you been practicing?"

"Two years. I'm with Hart-Lincoln and practice business law. Any idea what kind of medicine you want to practice?"

"I'm leaning towards emergency medicine, but I don't have to decide for about five years. Sometime during my third year of medical school, I have to have it narrowed down so I know what elective rotations to take during my final year."

"Where will you practice?" I asked.

"Wherever I'm assigned. Unlike almost any other profession, all I will be able to do is specify a list of places I'd like to work, and I have to accept whichever assignment I'm given, and can't negotiate salary, or anything. It's called the National Residency Match."

"You literally can't refuse and take a different one?" I asked.

"No, it's the one they assign, with the salary they assign, or nothing."

"Is that legal, Nelson?" I asked.

"I'm pretty sure it's covered by either specific statutes or exemptions to antitrust law," he replied. "I'd have to look it up, but a national program is probably expressly authorized by statute, so it wouldn't violate the Sherman Act, or other antitrust law. And if you're thinking about the Thirteenth Amendment, it's not slavery, or even indentured servitude, because she could refuse or quit, even if that meant giving up medicine."

"But you get a license, right?" I asked. "Just like Nelson?"

"Only his comes as soon as he passes the Bar, whereas mine can't come until after at least one year of Residency, sometimes more, depending on the specialty. If I understand correctly, lawyers do not need any experience at all to pass the Bar."

"Correct," Nelson replied. "At least in Illinois. I took the exam only six weeks after I started my job at Hart-Lincoln, and that was because I wasn't allowed to schedule it until I'd actually graduated from law school. Jonathan, on the other hand, already has two securities licenses without having worked a single day anywhere but the mailroom!"

"True," I agreed. "But my work only risks financial health, not death! If either of you screw up, someone could die!"

Nelson laughed, "Last I checked, there is no death penalty in business law, even for criminal cases!"

"OK, your professions," I corrected. "And hedging my bets is part and parcel of my job, which I doubt is true for the emergency room or the courtroom."

"You'd be surprised," Nelson said. "There are safe and risky choices, and sometimes you hedge to prevent the worst possible outcome. That's what settlements are about. I bet medicine is the same way."

"I don't know enough to comment on that yet," Allyson said.

"Speaking of finance," Nelson said, "I'll receive my annual profit-sharing bonus in March. I'd like you to invest it for me, Jonathan."

"Absolutely," I replied. "I have a slot for you on my 'friends and family' list."

"Thanks."

"I'll ask in ten years," Allyson said. "Or somewhere thereabouts."

When we reached Jeri's house, I parked, and the three of us walked to the front door together. Karl let us in and directed us to the great room where Jeri and Gary were waiting. Karl asked us about drinks, then brought them.

"I was thinking about one addition to the group," I said to Jeri. "I think we want a banker from a decent sized bank."

"I actually know a guy at Continental Illinois," Nelson said. "A fraternity brother at UofI who's an underwriting specialist."

"That would work," I replied. "Having someone with their finger on the pulse of consumer and corporate finance and underwriting would be a major help."

"Doesn't that create a risk for insider information?" Gary asked.

"Pretty much anything does," I replied. "But so long as I can confirm anything he says through other sources, and document that, it's not a problem."

"What's his name, Nelson?" Jeri asked.

"Pete Mueller."

"Invite him for next month," Jeri said. "We'll meet on the 25th."

"I will. Before I forget, Jonathan gave me a ride because my car is in the shop, but taking me home would be out of the way."

"I'll have Karl call a car for you. Jonathan, are you taking Allyson back to Loyola?"

"That's the plan, yes, and it's not out of the way at all."

Karl brought our drinks and let Jeri know dinner would be ready in ten minutes.

"Where are your parents?" Allyson asked.

"Out fundraising for Mom's foundation," Jeri said. "That's basically their full-time job."

"I'd be happy to manage that for her," I said with a grin.

Jeri laughed, "And the $5,000,000 fee you'd get?"

"Only half," I chuckled. "But yeah."

"You know why," Jeri said. "If you, or Noel Spurgeon, want it, she's in control. If you have it, you're in control and there is no way she'll cede that kind of control. That's why she hired her own investment manager."

"And does he earn the same returns?" I asked.

"Oh, hell no!" Jeri replied. "But that's not the point. Not to mention he's paid a salary and bonus, which is less than the 'two and twenty' you would take."

"As we discussed last time I saw you, but your money is up five percent in less than a month, and that's after we took our two when you transferred the funds! I bet he's not that good."

"He's not. I'm looking forward to seeing the first statement."

"Miss Jeri?" Karl said from the entry to the great room. "Dinner is served."

The five of us went to the dining room for dinner. We had a great meal and lively conversation, and it seemed to me that Allyson fit well with the group. We had dessert and coffee in the great room, and when Gary and Nelson left, Jeri asked if we could speak privately. I confirmed it was OK with Allyson, and then Jeri and I went into the library.

"Was there any fallout?" Jeri asked. "I mean, from my birthday?"

"I don't believe so," I replied. "If there was, nobody said anything to me and everything is fine at work. Why?"

"Mom ranted a bit after you left. She said she was VERY happy I hadn't asked you to stay because it was far too valuable to give it up to someone like you. I almost told her not only had I done it, but it was a year ago and that you're hung like a horse!"

"Please don't," I said firmly. "Those rules you said don't apply, DO apply if she goes to the cops."

"I didn't, and I wouldn't," Jeri replied. "That's why I said 'almost', and didn't actually say it."

"Don't let her bait you," I said. "Just keep things smooth so you can study computers and graduate. Then you can get a job and move out, even if you don't have full access to the trust fund."

"Wise advice."

"Focus on your goals and don't do anything that would block your progress."

"Your strategy."

"Yes. And yours. Look, do your thing the way you need to; I won't judge you. But do YOUR thing, not your mom's. Your literal worst-case scenario is you'll have eight million by the time you graduate from college. Well, assuming we don't have some huge retrenchment in the market in the next six years. But you know we hedge against that and have strategies to make money even in a down market."

"At this point, you should realize that $8,000,000 isn't 'fuck you' money. It would take more like a hundred mil."

"It'll be some time before I even manage 'fuck you' money," I replied, "let alone have it."

"You don't need money to fuck me!" Jeri smirked.

I laughed, "This one time I'll let you get away with that comment."

"One time? Or once per time?"

"In private, you are free to make one innuendo or sex joke each time we're together."

"And if I behave?" she asked invitingly.

"Then I'll see you again."

"You won't budge off that position, will you?"

"Look at it from my perspective," I said. "Why get sucked back into that?"

"To get ... wait, sorry."

"Sucked?" I asked with a grin.

"Yes! Anyway, good luck on Monday."

"Thanks. See you on the 25th, if not sooner."

We hugged, then went back to the great room. Jeri walked Allyson and me to the door and we said 'good night'. Two minutes later, we were in my car, heading north.

"Who's the better sister?" Allyson asked with a smirk I saw out of the corner of my eye.

"Given how close you and Kristy are, I'm sure she told you that I said that given I want to live to be twenty-one and keep my balls attached, there is no chance I'm going to answer THAT question!"

Allyson laughed, and nodded, "She did. But I won't tell!"

"I still don't think it's safe to answer!"

"Those little girls didn't do you together the way Kristy and I did!"

"Oh, please!" I protested. "'Little girls'? They're only a year younger than when Kristy, you, and I got together!"

"Yes, but almost four years younger than we are now."

"You and Kristy are just afraid your little sisters might be better than you!"

"Not!" Allyson declared mirthfully.

"Then why ask?"

"Mostly to give you a hard time. And speaking of being given a hard time, Will and I are not exclusive if you'd like to have the better sister tonight!"

"Clara's available tonight?" I asked.

"OK, now that is low!" Allyson declared, but she was laughing.

"Maybe I should set up a test," I chuckled. "Though Kristy isn't available for a two-on-one test!"

"It's too bad there's no reasonable way for a blind 'A/B' test, because I'm sure you could tell the difference given our bodies are fairly different."

Not in one important way, but I wasn't going to say that.

"All kidding aside," I said, "making a direct comparison seems like a bad idea under any circumstances."

"You're right, of course. You know Kristy and I were just teasing you, right?"

"Obviously."

"You know what Clara wants from you, don't you? I mean, besides what she already got?"

"She was extremely clear," I replied. "And if she wasn't, Marie was."

"Is that something that you'd consider?"

"I'll consider almost anything," I replied. "But consideration is not an indication of probability of success. I promised to call her after this weekend, and I'll take her out at least once, but beyond that, no promises."

"You never did answer my question."

"And before I do, just out of curiosity, would you have a problem with me and your sister?"

"No," Allyson smirked, "not if I got to fuck my brother-in-law occasionally!"

I laughed, "I meant dating her, not marrying her! And somehow I don't see her agreeing to let you and me have sex if she and I were a couple, married or otherwise!"

"You never know!"

"Right," I said, shaking my head. "Will your parents really be cool with me asking her on a date?"

"She's seventeen and you're only twenty. My parents know we're friends and I'll vouch for you. My dad would want to talk to you, but being hard-working and successful are key traits he's looking for in a son-in-law."

"There you go with marriage again!"

"What I said is still true. Do you think you clicked with her?"

"I don't know," I replied. "That's what the date is about. I think, actually, I'll set it up so we can't sleep together."

"Interesting strategy. Anyway? My question?"

I had thought about it from when she'd first asked, and Allyson would, I was sure, take my mind off Bev, at least for a time. That was probably a good thing, because the last thing I wanted was to be distracted on Monday morning. Of course, I was seeing Esme on Saturday evening, but I didn't see how a double dose of antidote could hurt.

"You're welcome to spend the night, if you want."

"I want!" Allyson declared. "Can we stop at Loyola so I can get an overnight bag?"

"Sure. I do need to warn you that I have to be at work at 8:00am tomorrow, though, so I'll need to drop you off early."

"I'd say that's a fair exchange for a night of great sex," Allyson declared.

"Cool."

"I haven't had much chance to talk to you on Sundays because everyone is around. How are things going?"

"Mostly very good," I replied. "My friend Bev back home is struggling, but otherwise, everything is good, including my mom getting engaged."

"Wow! You said she never dated, right?"

"Correct. This is the first guy she's been out with since she and my dad were together. I like him, though, so I'm really happy for her."

"That's cool. Your friend back home is the single mom, right?"

"Yes. She's having a tough time at the moment."

"I don't even want to think about the problems I'd have if I had a baby. I have enough trouble taking care of myself!"

I laughed, "I don't believe that for a moment!"

"OK, but you know what I mean, right? I suspect you feel the same way."

"That trying to care for a kid right now would be a major struggle? Yes."

"Are you seeing anyone regularly? I've seen Lily and Ellie at your place, but it's hard to judge from the minimal interaction we have on Sundays. Heck, the most frequent girl is Violet, and you've never even hinted at anything romantic with her."

"That's true. I think the girls I see most often who I'd say I had a 'romantic' relationship with are Ellie and Lily, but I'm not serious with them. I'd say it's similar to the situation with Julianne, where we saw each other a lot, but it wasn't serious. Huifen was the last one I'd call 'serious'."

"She's seeing a Senior from IIT."

I shrugged, "That's her business. Honestly, once she didn't want to talk to me, there wasn't much I could do."

"It doesn't bother you?" Allyson asked.

"Should it?"

"You guys seemed as if you might be permanent, and people like that tend to be upset when there's a breakup, especially when the other person won't talk to them."

"I don't see any value in getting upset," I replied. "And I'm responsible for, in effect, saying I thought we might be a couple, then pulling back. That didn't work for her, so she decided to end things. I'd have preferred she discuss it with me, but she chose not to. And that's fine."

"Does anything faze you?"

"I try not to let it," I replied. "It's rare that anything bothers me in any serious way."

"I don't think I've ever seen you upset or emotional."

"You're the third or fourth person to mention that in the past week or so."

"May I give you some advice?"

"Why not," I chuckled. "Every other woman in my life does!"

Allyson laughed, "I'm going to guess Bianca."

"Primarily."

"You two actually make a good couple," Allyson said. "But that aside, be careful saying 'I love you' to anyone because you won't mean it the same way they do."

I nodded, "Something Bianca has indirectly pointed out. And I believe, other than my mom, I've only ever said it to Bev, but only after explaining I wasn't 'in love' with her. And funny that you should mention Bianca, because she said it to me, but only after asking me not to take it the wrong way."

"Bianca, like you, will never be in love with anyone. You'll both love someone, but not be 'in love' with them, if you get my meaning."

"Oh, I do. I had this conversation with my friend Anala some time ago. I miss talking with her, but I haven't been able to get hold of her."

"I think Bianca is a good choice for advice. And if you want a girl who will let you play around, AND play around with the girl, Bianca is perfect!"

I laughed, "She made that offer, but I'm pretty sure a traditional marriage is what I want."

"I'm going to ask 'why?', given you reject the very traditions that push the idea of virginity and monogamy."

"Again, you're not the first to ask that question. The answer is, at this point, that I don't know."

We arrived at Loyola and I pulled up in front of the dorm so Allyson could get out.

"Be back in a flash!" she declared and hurried towards the door.

True to her word, she was back at the car seven minutes later. She hopped in, tossed her bag in the back, buckled in, and we headed for my house.

"The other girls are all out tonight, right?" I asked.

"Yes. I'd have gone with them, but you invited me to meet the female Richie Rich!"

"What did you think of Jeri?"

"Are you two still fucking?"

"Excuse me?" I protested.

"You heard me," Allyson said. "It was totally obvious to me based on the way she looks at you."

"Whether the answer is 'yes', 'no', or 'we never did' is irrelevant. What did you think of her?"

"A spoiled brat who's trying very hard not to be a spoiled brat. That's a good thing."

"Do you want to continue participating in the group?"

"I do!" Allyson exclaimed. "Especially with the added benefits that come with you giving me a ride!"

I laughed, "I hope it's more than that, but I do want to point out that it was you who changed things because we didn't click. That's not a criticism, merely an observation."

"I think I was too focused on the 'couple' aspect, which was probably a product of High School. College is different, and I have a different perspective. That doesn't mean we'd make a good couple, just that I don't have the same view of college relationships as I did when I first met you."

"Fun rather than permanency?" I asked.

"That's a reasonable shorthand, and, honestly, the more I discover about medical school and Residency, the more inclined I am not to worry about a permanent relationship anytime soon. But now there's an added impediment."

"Clara?"

"Yes. If you remember, I thought she'd totally freak out when she saw you ready for action, and that I'd have a good laugh, but it didn't turn out that way."

"I think your little sister is more grown up than you believe."

"I know that now, though she was only fifteen when I made that quip, and she's seventeen now. Anyway, she won't have a problem with us spending the night together, but I also don't want to mess up her chances. Well, assuming you want to keep seeing her?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.