Climbing the Ladder - The Second Rung - Cover

Climbing the Ladder - The Second Rung

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 39: A Surprise Visitor and a Surprise Phone Call

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 39: A Surprise Visitor and a Surprise Phone Call - 'Climbing the Ladder' is a story in the 'A Well-Lived Life' universe, and provides backstory for Spurgeon Capital, the Spurgeon family, the Glass family, the Lundgren family, Anala Subramani, Tom Quinn, and others from the 'A Well-Lived Life' series. Follow along as the adventures of Jonathan Kane continue!

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Mult   Rags To Riches   Workplace  

December 25, 1982, Goshen, Ohio

"Yes, of course," Mom replied. "I'd accuse you two of conspiring, but I can't imagine how that would have happened!"

"I think it's traditional to kiss him," I said.

"You brat!" Mom exclaimed.

I just smiled, and she did kiss Glen, who then put the ring on the proper finger of her left hand.

"Just let me know when the wedding will be," I said with a grin.

"We'll have to discuss it," Glen replied. "But I'm sure your mom will let you know."

"Maybe," Mom said. "He's been such a brat!"

I laughed, "You keep using that word! And what did I do except speak the truth?! I mean, Glen had already bought the ring, something of which I was not aware! Of course, if you don't want me there..."

"Of course I want you at my wedding!" Mom declared. "It won't be a big affair, that's for sure, and I suspect Glen will want to wait until Philip returns from Japan."

"Then just move in together," I suggested.

"WILL YOU JUST STOP!" Mom demanded, though she was laughing. "And Glen, if you dare say he has a point..."

"He does, actually," Glen said with a huge grin.

"We'll discuss it after Jonathan goes back to Chicago," Mom said.

We returned to cooking the ham, potatoes, green beans, and bread, and Glen made a salad. The meal and conversation were enjoyable, and when we finished dinner, we had apple pie and ice cream. After dessert, the three of us cleaned up, then had coffee. Just after 6:00pm, Mom said she was going to stay at Glen's, and he promised to bring her home in the morning for breakfast. Given that, I headed back to my mom's house alone to wait for Bev to arrive, which she did just after 7:00pm.

"Glen asked my mom to marry her," I said.

"I'm not surprised," Bev replied. "It's been obvious for months that was going to happen."

"I don't think he was planning on asking her today, but I teased about it, and he produced a ring."

"Teased?"

"He was asking about investing, and I pointed out that if he married my mom, they could invest in my fund. Mom pretended to be outraged, but Glen said I had a point and produced the ring. She said 'yes', of course."

"When?"

"Probably not until Glen's son comes back from Japan in about six months. I did suggest they live together."

"You are really pushing your mom's buttons!"

"Yes, but it's fun, and honestly, it's what she wants, so it's not like I'm pushing her into something that she doesn't desire."

"You'll come to the wedding, right?"

"Of course."

"When will you visit again?"

"I don't know, unless you want me at the hearing."

"I'll ask Mr. Chojnicki on Monday."

"How was your Christmas?"

"Fine. We went to my aunt's house for dinner at 1:00pm and my grandparents were there."

"Mom's side, right?"

"Yes. Dad's are all in California and Oregon."

"How are things with your dad?"

"Not good, but Mom promised he won't get on your case at lunch tomorrow."

"What did you want to do tonight?"

"Let's just put on music and cuddle, please."

"OK."

December 26, 1982, Chicago, Illinois

On Sunday morning, Mom had made breakfast for Glen, Bev, and me, and then Bev and I had gone to her house to spend the morning with Heather. We'd eaten lunch with her parents, and then she'd walked me out to my car. I'd promised to call her when I arrived home, and then had gotten into my car and headed for Chicago.

As I drove, I thought about everything that had happened, especially with Bev. I had concluded my mom was right about simply giving Bev space, and that didn't change, as I considered what to do. In the end, all I could do was what she'd suggested before — continue to live my life and wait to see what happened.

I hoped that the situation with Bob and his parents was resolved in her favor, or at worst, mostly in her favor. I felt if that happened, the turmoil would die down and we might be able to bridge the small gap that had opened between us. But, even if that gap closed, I wasn't sure Bev would marry me, as I felt she had real difficulty coming to terms with what I could only say she felt had been a betrayal when I'd decided to move to Chicago.

Despite my bad feelings about the situation with Bev, I was thrilled with the fact that my mom was going to marry Glen. I liked him a lot and was sure my mom would be happy to be married. I looked forward to attending her wedding, though, as she'd suggested, it was likely not going to occur before June. I'd have sufficient vacation time to go to her wedding, and that might be the next time I was in Ohio, unless Bev wanted or needed me at the hearing about Heather.

"Hi!" Shelly exclaimed when I walked into the house. "How was Ohio?"

"My mom got engaged," I replied.

"Cool! Do you need something to eat? I have leftover turkey my mom gave me so I could make you a turkey sandwich."

"That would be great! I'm going to start a load of laundry if neither you nor Bianca are using the washer."

"I'm not, and Bianca is at her parents' house until Tuesday."

"OK. Let me call Bev, then change and start my laundry."

I called Bev, then took my bag up to my room, where I changed into sweat pants and a rugby shirt. Once I was dressed, I took my dirty clothes to the laundry room and put them into the washer, added soap, set the controls, and started the 'normal' cycle. Once the machine started, I went to the kitchen.

"How was your Christmas?" I asked.

"Pretty good. I went to church with my family, and the building didn't collapse around me!"

I laughed, "Well, I was in a church for Tom's wedding and that church didn't collapse, so I think you and Bianca are safe."

"Well, I can sure do without it, but it makes my mom happy, so I go with her. My dad is more ambivalent about it, but likes the family to go together on Christmas and Easter. You work tomorrow, right?"

"Yes. I have Friday off."

"When are we doing the shopping for the New Year's Eve party?"

"I think Friday morning makes sense," I replied.

Shelly handed me a plate with a turkey sandwich and some chips, and I got a Coke from the fridge. I sat down at the dinette table to eat, and Shelly sat down with a mug of hot chocolate. I ate, then washed the plate, and Shelly and I listened to music until I needed to put my clothes into the dryer. When the dryer finished, I folded my laundry, and Shelly offered to spend the night, which I accepted.

December 27, 1982, Chicago, Illinois

"You're going out tonight, right?" Shelly asked as we showered on Monday morning.

"Yes. I'm having dinner with Violet, but I won't be late because I have to work tomorrow."

"OK to sleep with you again?"

"Yes, of course."

We finished our shower, dried off, dressed, and went downstairs to have breakfast. After breakfast, I headed to the Hancock Center, arriving early because I was still covering Mr. Nelson's job for the week. I'd forgotten that I'd be paid a differential, which would give me even more money I hadn't planned on having.

The four trading days between Christmas and New Year's were the quietest of the year, and many traders took the week off, as did their assistants and analysts. That included Mr. Matheson, who had been out the previous week as well, so I hadn't had a chance to speak to him since the change in my start date. With so many people out of the office, reduced mail, and with the construction on 29 completed, there was very little to do.

I spent a good part of the morning working on additional record keeping and reports for Mr. Nelson, hoping that the additional work would mollify him. Of course, it was Mr. Spurgeon's company, and therefore his decision, no matter what Mr. Nelson or anyone else thought. Just before lunch, the phone rang.

"Support Services, Kane," I said when I lifted the handset.

"Jonathan? It's Shelly."

"Shelly? What's up?"

"Some guy was here asking questions about you."

"'Some guy'?"

"He didn't give his name. When I answered the door, he asked if you lived here, and I said 'yes'. Then he asked who I was, and I told him. Then when he asked who else lived here, I realized I should probably shut up and tell him to get lost."

"He didn't flash a badge or ID?"

"No. He sure didn't look like a cop, but I suppose he could have been undercover."

"If he comes back, see if you can get his name, a business card, or whatever."

"OK. I did write down what he looked like in case you wanted me to call the cops."

"I don't think that's necessary. Just let me know if he comes back, and as I said, get his name or business card."

"Will do!"

We said 'goodbye' and I hung up, wondering what was going on. I couldn't think of any reason anyone would be looking for me, so all I could do was wait to see if he showed up again. I ate my lunch at my desk and had a relatively quiet afternoon. At the end of the day, I left Spurgeon and headed to Violet's house for our Christmas dinner, albeit two days after the fact.

"Merry Christmas!" Violet exclaimed when she opened the door for me.

"Merry Christmas!" I replied.

She gave me a quick hug and a kiss on the cheek, then invited me into the house.

"Dinner will be ready in about twenty minutes," she said. "Can I get you something to drink?"

"I'm OK for now, thanks."

"I'm making roast chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and corn. I have bread, but it's store bought, and apple pie and ice cream for dessert."

"Sounds great! Do you need any help?"

"If you want to mash and whip the potatoes, I'd appreciate it."

"I can do that!"

We worked together to finish making dinner, then carried everything from the kitchen to the dining room. The house was really way too big for a single person, but given Violet's situation, I couldn't see her having a roommate, at least not anytime soon. Of course, if the time came and she married and had kids, the house would be perfect for a family of four or five. But at this point, if I had to put odds on it, they were no better than 50/50.

That did make me think back to the first time or two I'd interacted with Violet, and it made me wonder. The first two interactions had been playful and light, until I'd pulled the stunt with the gum, and then she'd begun to act more like she currently acted.

"Can I ask you a question?" I inquired after we started eating.

"Sure."

"When we first met, you seemed as if you had a goofy, outgoing personality, at least until the stupid thing I did with the gum."

"Doctor Lochner had encouraged me to be positive and try to be outgoing, because being too reserved might discourage a girl from being interested in being a friend. It was difficult, but I managed. Then you shocked me with the gum thing, and I kind of reverted to my usual behavior."

"I am sorry about that."

Violet smiled, "But it worked out in the end, right? I mean, being able to tell you what happened was super important and made all the difference in the world."

"True."

"Can I ask you something? It's a serious question and I want a truthful answer."

"Sure," I agreed.

"When you first saw me," Violet asked, "what did you think?"

All kinds of warning signs flashed in my brain, imploring me to be very careful about what I said and how I said it.

"That you were cute, and I'd like to get to know you, even if you were a pixie compared to me."

Violet laughed, which made me feel a bit more comfortable with the conversation.

"You are like a foot taller! And you put my already chewed gum in your mouth because you were interested in me..."

She let it hang.

"Obviously, but I didn't know your situation."

"I wasn't accusing you or anything. You just confirmed what Doctor Lochner had said about you. But she was wrong that you were only interested in that."

"Doctor Lochner had an unhealthy obsession with your relationships, friendship or otherwise. Sure, I get what her job was at first, but later she was holding you back from living. I read in a book my friend Anala recommended that people are social animals and they cannot be authentically human without relationships. Hermits are rare, and from what I read in the newspapers and see on TV, it's loners and people who are not well adjusted socially who are dangerous."

"You think I'm dangerous?" Violet asked with a slight smile.

"Probably not," I replied with a smile. "Seriously, though, that you often hear 'he was a nice, quiet boy' about someone who has committed a gruesome crime. I don't think you have the personality of a serial killer or spree killer."

"So far as you know!" Violet declared, causing me to laugh.

"You know," I said, "more joking and teasing like that would be good for you and would help you make more friends. And I'm not suggesting replacing me, just adding to your small group of friends."

"A group of one. Well, two, if Lily is my friend."

"I think she will be if you want her to be."

"Are you having people over for football on the 2nd?"

"Yes. Are you coming to the New Year's Eve party?"

"How would I get home?"

"That's the difficulty. A bunch of people are going to crash at the house, and I wouldn't want anyone driving you who had been drinking, especially since most of us aren't even twenty-one, so ANY alcohol would be a problem, even if we were under the limits. I do have one option, but I'm not sure you'd be comfortable."

"What's that?" Violet asked.

"If you want, you could have my room, which has a locking door and private bathroom, and I'll sack out in the computer room."

"I'm not sure," Violet said.

"The only other option would be a cab or a hired car. I could probably arrange for a driver in a Town Car to bring you home if that would make you more comfortable."

"I'm sorry I'm so difficult," Violet said, sounding sad.

"I think you have a legitimate reason for your fears, and while I'm encouraging you to do more, it's incremental, and that's a good, safe way forward. My disagreement with Doctor Lochner was that she was holding you back, not that you didn't have to be careful. Do you see the difference?"

Violet nodded her head, "I do. Would you arrange for a car to bring me home around 1:00am? I can pay for it."

"I'll cover it," I replied. "I want you at the party."

I had an idea that might help Violet take one more step out of her shell, but I also knew it could make her very uncomfortable. I felt I could broach the idea, sitting at her dining room table, eating dinner, without creating a problem.

"I want to ask you a question," I continued, "and it's not anything more than what I'm asking, OK?"

"You don't have to walk on eggshells," Violet replied. "Well, not so much."

"OK," I agreed, carefully considering the words I wanted to use. "What I wanted to ask you here, now, in advance, so you don't feel pressured or surprised, is if it's OK to ask you to dance on New Year's Eve? If you aren't comfortable with that, I totally understand and you won't upset me or bother me by saying 'no'."

"I think I could, but only with you."

"You can change your mind anytime, including when I ask you on Friday evening. I promise to only choose an appropriate song."

Violet laughed softly, "A slow song is fine. I hug you so it's not that different, just to music. I totally trust you."

"And I will never violate that trust," I replied firmly.

We finished our meal, had dessert and coffee, then I helped Violet clean up. When we finished, she made hot chocolate, and we went to sit in her front room.

"Where should we meet on Monday after class?" she asked.

"Let's just meet at the diner," I replied. "That's easier, and whoever arrives first can get a booth."

"OK."

"Have you decided about going full time? And can you afford it?"

"I was thinking about that, and I think the smartest thing to do is my original plan. I'll look for an accounting clerk job in June and keep taking classes at night for now. I can mix and match, and I'll minor in accounting, at least. I'll start taking classes I'd need to be a kindergarten teacher, too. That way, I'll have options."

"Do you have a specific accounting job in mind? Or are you OK with payables, receivables, payroll, or whatever?"

"Anything will be fine for my first job. Why?"

"Because I have friends and other contacts who I can ask to help," I replied. "When you start looking, let me know."

"Probably in June."

"OK. Just let me know."

"I really appreciate everything you do for me. Thank you."

"You're welcome."

When we finished our hot chocolate, we opened our gifts to each other. I'd struggled with what to buy her and had finally decided on an autographed hockey puck.

"Tony Esposito?!" Violet gasped. "For real?"

"For real. There's a certificate in the box saying he signed back in August."

"Thank you! It's awesome!"

Her gift to me was the exact same theme — a Black Hawks jersey with Steve Larmer's name and number on it, though it wasn't autographed.

"Thank you!" I exclaimed. "It looks like we both had the same idea."

Violet smiled, "Great minds think alike! But it makes sense, right? I mean, we're both Hawks fans and we go to games together."

"It does. I'm looking forward to the game against Pittsburgh in about a month."

"That should be an easy win. The Penguins stink and always have!"

"I bet they win a championship before the Cubs!" I replied.

Violet laughed, "You could say that for any team! The Cubs are cursed, and that's all there is to it! I'm glad I'm a Sox fan!"

"Not sure how you can be a fan of a minor league team that can't even play by the REAL rules of baseball!"

"What?!"

"Well, they are the 'junior circuit' and they have perhaps the dumbest rule in the history of sports, the Designated Hitter. Well, OK, the 'two line pass' rule is probably worse, but at least it makes sense!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.