The Wizard's Apprentice - Cover

The Wizard's Apprentice

Copyright© 2023 by GraySapien

Chapter 3

In which Holisz prospers for a time, before gaining the enmity of the guardsmen and earning the baron’s displeasure.


The bard swallowed a hearty draft from his jack of ale, belched his pleasure, and resumed his tale. “One day, the unthinkable happened. Lady Kendra, the baron’s lush daughter, arrived at the stables without her escort. She found Holisz busy at one of his usual tasks, this time inspecting and picking out rocks and mud from the horses’ hooves. “My lady?” Holisz asked, confused by her lack of attendants but ever polite to his betters.”

“Saddle my animal, Groom!” Lady Kendra ordered. “I shall ride this day, and my companions are not ready!”

“But my lady, what of your guards?” Holisz asked, clearly alarmed at the risk the lady seemed determined to ignore.

“You shall ride with me in their stead,” Lady Kendra decided. “Have you not done your required practice at the pell and fenced with the weapons-master, as required by my father’s order?”

“Aye, I have, my lady, as have all in your father’s hold,” Holisz admitted. “But I am poorly skilled as yet, unable to execute the complicated moves that the weapons-master has tried to show me.” Holisz rubbed his pate ruefully. “He has given me incentive often with the flat of the practice blades!”

“I am armed,” Lady Kendra revealed. “I have my own sword, and you will hang my buckler at my saddle’s cantle in readiness should I have need of it. I shall permit you to go armed with sword and round shield while you accompany me this day, despite such behavior not being allowed in the usual course of things. As ye well know, possession of private arms is forbidden you by your birth and station whilst ye dwell within Castle Baldwin’s Junction.

“Arms, by my father’s command, are for none but nobles and sworn guards unless the castle be invested by raiders and other lowlife scum. But this day I grant you dispensation for the duration of my ride. Forget ye not your proper place, and do not abuse my generosity!”

“Very well, my lady, and certes, I shall behave with due regard for your safety. If such be your will, I shall obey as best I can.”

“See that you do! Forget ye not, ye are only my guard this day and not my companion! I shall tolerate no impertinence!”

Holisz bowed, not that the gesture would have caused more than titters from the courtiers  who perfected such courtly behavior, but Holisz was unaccustomed to the manners expected of lowly folk in the presence of their betters. Still, he had tried, and done as much as he knew. The Lady Kendra nodded and accepted this as her due, while waiting impatiently for the grooming and tacking up of her mount and that of her ‘guard’.

Raids of the sort that had orphaned Holisz ten years past were rare, but not unheard of in the baron’s extensive lands. Over the years, not a few would-be raiders of low birth and scant worth had found usefulness in the way they ended their lives, being executed by command of the baron.

His headsman was ever close, and he always carried with him the Sword of Justice; but that was reserved for nobles or special cases. The bandits and similar low-lifes became graphic warnings by being hanged out-of-hand just inside the border of the baron’s lands, then left to dangle and rot. The bodies were thus visual and olfactory reminders to future bandits of what awaited them in the lands where the baron exercised the right of high justice!

Forsooth, raiding became an unpopular pastime in the lands around Castle Baldwin’s Junction after the gentlemen of irregular estate gained knowledge of the way in which the baron administered justice! Lady Kendra need therefore have but small concern, so long as she remained away from the great oak forest to the east. There, in the dim shade cast by tall trees, were found not bandits, but disaffected members of the barony’s folk who found temporary refuge in the forest from the baron’s flights of temper.

Temporary, because his tantrums rarely lasted long. A new lady would soon arrive to monopolize his attention, and there were many such because the baron had a reputation. He ate well, as did his guests, and by virtue of being a widower, was free with his affections for a few weeks. When the inevitable parting took place, ‘twas without harsh words or deeds. The result of this was that past paramours mentioned to lonely ladies that he was accomplished as well as practiced in the bedroom arts!

As for the hidden ones of low estate, they need only avoid the yeoman foresters until the baron forgot his pique. Spend a month in the forest ignoring the baron’s edict regarding killing of his deer and swine, and soon they could resume their interrupted lives back at the castle. As for serious transgressions such as theft, murder, or annoying the nobility by an untimely fart, such ill deeds would not be overlooked by Baron Georg! Unlicensed violence got the rope and the flatulent fool a cork, should he not take to his heels first! If the baron later recalled what had vexed him, he never said; perhaps he understood that pressing such minor issues was rarely good business. After all, he needed people to work his lands as well as care for his game and his timber holdings. He lived very well, did the baron, and profits from the labor of the serfs and yeomen on his lands kept him in wealth. Impulsive was the baron, but withal he was shrewd as well! So the part-time outlaws who dwelled in the great wood took care that their offenses remained minor. In time, the disaffected ones would rethink their options and return to their labors, as is proper behavior for such.

Besides, none among the forest folk would offend or endanger the lady Kendra, who was well thought of by the barony’s people. The players well understood the game, and each followed the rules of his station, or tried to; there were, after all, worse barons. The people had  heard tales of just how bad a noble overlord could be, and had no desire to experience such a one for themselves! All understood the rules, especially those of low estate.

Except for one.

Lady Kendra grew bored, waiting. Eventually, without intending such, her gaze was drawn to the stalwart young man who was currying her animal and adjusting the blanket just so, that she might be secure upon her horse and her animal not be uncomfortable during the ride.

Those muscles ... the line of the young man’s back and the way he held his head ... So different! The young men of her own station were not so well-favored, nor had they the physical skills and coordination that this young lackey displayed so effortlessly! Lady Kendra forced her eyes to look elsewhere, examining most carefully indeed the pile of dung that Holisz had raked up and heaped outside the stables.

Finally, the horses were ready; the young man held his hands in position and Lady Kendra put her boot into his palms, straightened her leg, and felt the power of the muscles she’d been admiring as the groom-turned-guard lifted her into position that she might mount. Which is why this day did the Lady Kendra have a flush on her face, even before the rhythmic galloping of her steed began!

The ride went very well. In sooth, Lady Kendra was an excellent rider, well able to move with the horse and keep her seat without effort. Holisz also had no trouble with his mount. The beast wasn’t his preferred riding animal, but the outing was still most enjoyable. After riding the baron’s highly spirited favorite, no other horse needed much effort on Holisz’ part to control it.

His only challenge this day was in forcing the recalcitrant animal to exert himself, that the Lady Kendra and her mount not run off without them! Upon their return, Holisz assisted the Lady Kendra down from the saddle and she seemed much calmed by the experience. Escorted to the castle’s entrance by Holisz, as he walked in his proper place two paces to the rear, she dismissed him and went off to join her ladies-in-waiting, who were ... well, waiting!

But there was yet work for Holisz to do when he returned to the stables. After his pleasant ride, he soon returned to his regular task of shoveling shit. There were also the daily tasks of spreading fresh bedding in the stalls and grooming the other horses before he finally found a late- evening opportunity to ride Arrow where he wanted to go, instead of where the lady had wished!

And of course, after such a trying day and the late hours working to make up the time he had lost guarding her ladyship Kendra, Holisz found himself too tired to study matters wizardly. Still, he managed a very satisfying fantasy before finally falling asleep! Some things the nobility could control, but dreams did not fall within their purview! If other persons also had dreams, very satisfying ones ... well, ‘tis better not discussed. Due care and discretion mean that even such a one as this lowly teller of tales not presume too much and risk the ill humor of one’s betters!

The Lady Kendra returned to the stable two days later, but this time Holisz had gotten sufficient notice beforehand. The horses for Lady Kendra and her companions were saddled and waiting, but not the animals assigned to the guards. Those warlike men had heard something, in some mysterious way that only people who dwell in castles can ever understand.

Holisz had presumed on their duty! They glowered their displeasure this day, and vowed  privately that despite his youth and regardless of the orders he’d received, something would be done! Jumped-up lackeys, fit only for smelling fresh horseshit, must not be permitted to threaten the established order of things!

Holisz knew naught of this. His only surprise, one that caused the guard commander sheer astonishment at the breach of protocol, came when the Lady Kendra indicated she wished Holisz to serve as her mounting-block instead of stepping upon one of the guardsmen. As commanded, Holisz knelt and held his hands in position, then lifted the young lady to mounting-position. If two of her companions tittered at this, well ... perhaps they had also heard about the unescorted ride Lady Kendra had taken?

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.