The Wizard's Apprentice - Cover

The Wizard's Apprentice

Copyright© 2023 by GraySapien

Chapter 2

In which Holisz prospers for a time, before earning the displeasure of the baron’s wizard.


The bard led the way back inside, and the tavern-keeper noted that more returned than had left!

Others among the townspeople had observed the parade, and some searched for hidden coins that they might be welcome among the patrons while listening to whatever tale the bard might spin. The tavern-man smiled at the sight, and rubbed his hands together in satisfaction. And to be fair, not a little of his enjoyment came from anticipation, for even such as a tavern-keeper must ever worry about a way to bring paying guests!

“One day, an old man walked into the stables,” the bard continued, “and watched Holisz work, even as he shoveled out used horse-bedding from the stalls. The man observed, but said nothing, although Holisz attempted a greeting as polite young men do. His advance was not returned, and in time the old man departed. Holisz saw him no more for a fortnight, but anon returned the old man, and this time with a gift for Holisz. He had a crystal in his hand, of no particular color nor appeal, but pierced through with a hole near the small end through which a leathern thong had been passed. The thong had a cunningly-tied knot, which Holisz adjusted until it was near the crystal so that the thing might be worn in comfort.

As the old man directed, Holisz placed the leather strip around his neck and concealed it beneath his long hair, allowing the brown curls to fall into place afterwards. The crystal he dropped into the opening in the front of his jerkin, so that it was also hidden from view. Polite, know ye, was Holisz; he thanked the old man for the gift, despite the lack of worth of the trinket, for ‘twas clearly not an object in which even a stable-boy might take pride!

“Know ye, lad,” the old man said, “that I am called Johannes the Wise, for as all men know, I am. ‘Tis my duty to ward this castle, and also those who dwell within, against arcane threats and ill fortune. I have oft seen you in your work, and betimes, by scrying when ye be at other deeds Baron Georg would not approve of!” The old man tittered. “Like sees to like, ye ken! Even have I sensed something within you that leads me to believe you may have some of mine own ability for tapping into the gift of the gods! I propose to offer you a position as my apprentice, to teach ye the art and craft of wizardry! What say you, young man; would it be your wish to accept my offer?”

“Holisz did pause, for as all men know, wizards can be a tricky lot!

“What would ye have of me an I undertake to be thy apprentice, Master Johannes?” Holisz asked cautiously, and concealed thereby his deep suspicion of the old man’s intent.

But upon this occasion, if on no other, did the old wizard speak truth. “You shall study long and hard, lad,” the wizard said. “I will make available to you certain tomes that I have found of use in mine own learning, come down to me through long, uncounted ages! Canst read, lad?”

““Aye, Master,” did Holisz respond, for he was ever polite. “Cook taught me, that I might better assist in the kitchens, though I do not consider myself skilled in the art.”

“Ye will gain the skill, Lad, lest ye find yourself awishing ye had! Know ye that wizardry depends on accuracy, for a wizard does but call upon the gods for their help! Mispronounce a word and ye will wish you’d studied harder ... aye, if ye survive! Know ye that the gods be not amused when their gift is scorned by the inept!”

““Does the offer come with pay, Master?” Holisz asked.

““Nay,” did the old wizard scoff. “I give learning, not coin, as reward! Know ye that wizards have no need for common pay, for only mountebanks and charlatans depend upon the largesse of nobles! Other than to accept a paid position as I have done, for such is honorable for one of my calling.” Then did the old man cough. Doubtless something had become lodged in his throat, ye ken.

““Nor have we need to sell our abilities, to employ the spells that we enjoy the use of. Know ye that such spells, and the knowledge to use them, are the gift of the gods, and such are not to be bartered for bits of metal! Crystals, now, they be worth of another sort. Know ye that crystals are precious to a wizard, and worth having even by such a skilled and powerful mage as myself, and are a suitable reward for service.” The old wizard hawked, and spat a gobbet of green slime upon the floor. ‘Twas doubtless why he had coughed but moments ere, or belike, ‘twas an undesired gift from the gods as a sign of their disapproval!

““Know ye,” the wizard went on, “that the one I have given you is special, and through my arcane arts it’s now attuned to you alone! Wear it always, by my command, for one day ye shall find use for it, and ye shall know that need when it arises. Never take this, mine gift, for granted! Never remove it from thy neck except under the direst of need! Give me thine oath that these conditions be met, lad, and that ye shall undertake to be mine apprentice.”

““I do swear, Master,” Holisz replied. “Even do I swear to study diligently as ye command. Must I also tend the horses betimes and shovel their shit?”

““That ye must, lad, for such is your given task, as all who dwell in the castle have, and do ye not gain food and shelter by the doing of it? Ye be no wizard yet, and mayhap ye shall never become one! The use of such arcane wisdom and ancient knowledge depends on how hard you work at learning! Know ye that your abilities will flower as you progress through the studies I shall prescribe for your undertaking, but those studies must be done after your work in the stable has ended at the close of each day!”

“The old wizard went away, and Holisz saw him no more that day. Indeed, he came not back for the next fortnight. Holisz bethought himself that mayhap the old man had but made a jest! ‘Twas a pity, for Holisz thought the offer greatly interesting. Aye, motivated was he, enough even to sneak books from the baron’s small library for to practice his reading and gain the skill he would need.

“Few enough books there were, in sooth, for the baron had more interest in hunting, and swiving the occasional lady who visited without her husband, than ever he had in reading of the books! Indeed, Holisz came to understand that books filled the shelves because a man of the baron’s standing was expected to own books, and not from the joy that reading brought to him!

“Eventually did reading the baron’s books grew old to Holisz as well. After the second week of such, his interest flagged; he concentrated instead on grooming the horses and tacking them up so that noble family members and guests could ride when such was their pleasure. From time to time, always with permission, Holisz did exercise the horses by riding them.

“After a few weeks of practice he even rode the baron’s spirited charger, Arrow, for that noble beast loved to run and the baron came but seldom to the stables. Holisz learned to stick upon the warhorse’s back like one of the ticks that found a home on the horses from time to time. Bare-back, aye, without saddle or blanket, even without headstall or reins, Holisz rode. None saw him when he rode the baron’s personal mount, because the hour was always late. Truth be told, the baron was not the man he once had been, nor the warrior. As his girth waxed and gout troubled him, so did his enthusiasm for riding and warring wane. E’en so, the baron might need to ride during the day, ken ye, and none dared guess that it might not be so.

“And so it was that Holisz rode, and the baron’s personal mount did come to watch for him for oft did he bring toothsome apple as a reward for the gallop to come? ‘Tis a wonder to me that so many of ye have failed to learn the secret!

“So the great stallion was kept ready from morning until evening, should His Excellency the Baron call for him. And thereby grow restive in his stall, and desire to run free! So it was that Holisz soon became more to Arrow than a cleaner of stalls and bringer of hay and oats; he was the bringer of freedom, albeit for only a few hours. When the better sorts of people of the castle sat down with the baron to table in the evening, Holisz was absent. None noticed, for he was among the lowliest who were employed in the great fortress.

“Whilst others ate, Holisz and Arrow were enjoying a spirited gallop through the forest. In the doing of such, Holisz guided and controlled the war-steed’s path by weight-shift and leg-pressure alone, so great had his skill become. Holisz accomplished this pleasurable activity whilst others put tooth to meat in the castle’s great hall. Even as they dawdled over another ale or glass of wine, Holisz walked the stallion to cool him down, then brushed Arrow’s coat carefully and inspected his hooves.

“So it was that he took his meals later in the kitchen when the tasks were finished, whilst the staff cleaned up after the quality people’s dining was done. Know ye, that despite the lateness of the hour, Holisz ate very well, for he was still well-remembered by all who worked in the kitchen.

“‘Twas a month before Johannes the Wise reappeared in Holisz’ small cell, and ‘twas after his evening’s work was done. This time did Johannes carry with him, carefully wrapped, a large tome. “Within these covers there be but simple spells, Apprentice,” did Johannes say. “Yet must ye learn them, ere ye can safely progress to the mighty spells that I have mastered! The spells in this book, being simple, are rarely dangerous; they permit none but the easiest manipulations of natural laws, as the gods permit, and even a small child could learn them if his master led him through the procedures. Know ye that the stronger the spell, the more dangerous it is if it should go wrong!”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.