Living Two Lives - Book 2 - Cover

Living Two Lives - Book 2

Copyright© 2022 by Gruinard

Chapter 34

Andrew had been lucky the night before as his folks had been out at a party. So not only was he not busted for being late home but they also were slow to face the day the next morning. His parents took the baby Scott with them although it didn’t seem to stop his mother indulging. But them being slow to face the day suited him fine. He was in no mood to talk to anybody. In fact Andrew left early to go to the Food Bank. He was there at 11.30 and worked away moving boxes of goods to the packing tables, just a general dogsbody for the morning teams and it was what he needed. Grunt work, limited talking and time to think.

When Andrew looked back over the term he was pleased with so much. He felt he was a better person. Most amazingly he was definitely more relaxed around women. He had two steady dates who were kind and friendly. Although they thought the help was all one way, they had both helped him become a better friend. That they were cute and funny was just a bonus. And yes, Andrew was very disappointed he didn’t get to see them in swimsuits on Saturday night.

It was the same with the field hockey. Stayed back, was respectful to both teams, just a supporter of his friends on the team which has morphed into a supporter of the team who were mostly his friends. He was pretty bitter about the way he had been treated on Saturday by Lyle, and indirectly Jacqui Forbes. And he knew that Monday was going to be more of the same. Andrew was a million miles away when Nikki hit him, again.

“Bloody hell Andrew. Wake up. I have been calling you for 30 seconds and had to hit you twice to get you to notice me. What gives?”

He told her he would explain later. He finished up for the morning crew and then went over to their regular station with Nikki.

“No questions for me until you tell me how things are with you. Come on. I have been worried about you. Please fill me in on all that has been happening.”

Andrew wouldn’t take no for an answer so reluctantly Nikki explained.

“First of all St. Luke’s is wonderful, I feel a connection there. I think the anonymity is helping. I just listen and pray and think. The journey home feels like I am soaring over the world. I am not sure that even if things get resolved with my family that I will return to St. Andrew’s. I can cope with the train. I feel closer to the church.

“That is the good news. The bad news is the family stuff is all screwed up. Half of them still think that they have done nothing wrong. Mum is the one who is starting to worry. None of them know that I go to Glasgow so they all think I have abandoned the church. Every time they phone I answer and tell them if they will listen and not shout then we can talk. The record is less than two minutes. The winner of a debate in my family is the person who shouts the loudest.

“I am beginning to actively dislike them. I don’t know what kind of relationship we will have in the future but it won’t be back to how it was before.”

She stopped here not so much upset as frustrated.

“You seem to be handling it pretty well.”

Andrew discreetly looked around.

“No change with anything else?”

Here Nikki failed to hide a mischievous smile.

“I don’t know what you mean. Life is good.”

Even in code they knew they shouldn’t be having that conversation. Andrew excused himself for a minute and went through to the kitchen which had a pay phone on the wall.

“Mum, big favour to ask.”

Not much of a greeting but let’s not kid themselves.

“Where are we having Christmas dinner? Uncle Nathan and Auntie Davina’s?”

“Yes, over at noon and lunch around two, why?”

“Can I bring a friend? She is going through a tough time and is in the city on her own at Christmas. She is trying to get back to her family but the time off and connections might not work. Do you think they will mind? I know it is family but I will keep her entertained.”

Andrew thought there was no harm in asking.

“Who is it Andrew? I have trouble keeping up with you sometimes.”

Well at least he didn’t get immediate rejection.

“It is my friend Nikki who works at the main City Library. She was the lady who got me involved with the Food Bank. She is nice and funny and can tell you some totally made up Andrew stories.”

This last Andrew knew would intrigue her.

“I am sure they won’t mind. Nathan’s family are off to visit relatives in England this year so there are fewer people invited. I am sure Davina will be okay with it. I will call and check but yes let Nikki know that she will be welcome there if she is stuck here on her own.”

“Thanks Mum. You’re a star.”

Andrew could hear her laughing.

“See you tonight Andrew. I love you.”

A rare use of the el word by his mother. Christmas spirit indeed. He went back through to the warehouse. Nikki was looking around for him.

“You okay? You were away for a few minutes there.”

“Just making some plans Nikki. Should things not be resolved with your family by the 25th then you have an invitation to come and spend Christmas with me and the family. I was phoning Mum to check.”

Andrew should have been better prepared for the hug as he knew that the pressure to cave for the sake of Christmas was great. He wanted her to have options. Her family needed to realise that they were losing her if they didn’t buck up. Once the shift was over he sat on the bus doing more thinking. He needed some time with Leslie.

Dinner at the Campbells was nice and relaxing. He guessed Leslie had had a word with her folks because it was a more subdued dinner than normal. Fun but not raucous. Mr. Campbell asked him about the Company. Andrew had heard nothing and was waiting to hear back from Mhairi. He asked if Andrew had spoken to Julian senior but both the Strongs had been out while Andrew had been over there. Mr. Strong obviously wasn’t that desperate. After dinner Andrew told Leslie of the terrible day on Saturday. She was as downbeat about it as he was.

“You are going to get the shaft from the school. I would guess the swimming is going to be withdrawn.”

“Yeah I am pretty sure about that also. I have checked out Warrender, I took lessons there a few years ago. It opens for public swimming at 6.00 in the morning. I am going to try it over the break although it is not ideal. 5 to 10 minutes less swimming and a fast 20 minute hustle to get to school. We’ll see what happens. I already get up at 5.45 I’m not getting up earlier.

“As to the rest, it will be the disruption. Hauled out of class again, listen to the head ramble on. Usual shit. As for Paula I will have to wait and see. Her mother knows Suzanne’s mother. I don’t know what is going to happen. No point in over thinking that. The girls were upset but they are 14. They will do what they are told but it will not be pretty.

“I am more worried about the impact on them. The mother was out of control. Teasing her daughter in front of her friend, bringing up Suzanne and I kissing and basically telling Paula that she doesn’t trust her. There was a casual cruelty to it. This despite the fact that she has more confidence, is more outgoing and is doing better at school. It really has been a weekend of adults thinking they know best. Don’t get me started on Nikki’s fucked up family. Morons. I got Mum to agree to her coming to my Aunt and Uncle’s at Christmas in case she is all alone.”

Shortly thereafter Leslie drove him home. Andrew knew he was miserable company and she didn’t need to suffer through it. He was not looking forward to school on Monday.

After swimming Andrew told Kearns that he was done swimming until the start of term. Kearns was surprised but as there were only three more mornings it wasn’t a big deal. As expected the summons occurred during second period English again. This time Caldwell refrained from saying anything although the girls all looked worried for him. When Andrew got to Mrs. Griffiths’ office he was immediately ushered into the head’s office. Lyle and Mrs. Hall were already there.

As usual the Headmaster started in on his pontificating speech about the school, the history, how the teachers needed to be treated with respect blah, blah, blah. Andrew stared him in the eye the whole time his blood boiling with frustration. Eventually the oration was over.

“I am disappointed in you Andrew. What do you have to say for yourself?”

Hmmm. Interesting.

“About what sir?”

“Your behaviour on Saturday at Mary Erskine’s. The punishment for this will be serious.”

“I have been told nothing about what I am accused of. I have been give no opportunity for a rebuttal since I do not know of what I have been accused and I am already guilty since you are talking about punishment. Is that about the extent of it?” Insolent pause. “Sir.”

“Don’t speak like that to me young man.”

“What way would that be sir? Repeating the situation back to you so that it is clear.”

The head had lost control and shouted for a couple more minutes. Mrs. Hall looked appalled and was trying to calm him down. Ms. Lyle was just standing there, an odious toad of smugness.

“I have a good mind to suspend you for your cheek.”

He wasn’t going to with that comment. Andrew waited for the inevitable.

“Your early morning swimming privileges are withdrawn immediately until the end of the second term. They will be reviewed then and a determination will be made for the third term.

“Please leave at once and return to class.”

As expected, both in form and punishment. No discussion of what happened. Teacher believed, pupil ignored. Oh well.

When Andrew got back to the class everybody struggled to focus as there was much murmuring about what he had done wrong now. After class he packed up his bag and merely said that he had been reprimanded by the Headmaster. Andrew wouldn’t elaborate to anyone and he retreated to the library for lunch. He had nothing to do he just needed a break from all the questions. He wondered if Paula and Suzanne would even show up after school. They did show up to tell him that they had both been told to stop tutoring with him immediately and that there were to be no more nights out. They were to stop seeing him completely. They were both very upset and Suzanne in particular was quite distraught.

“My parents went over to see the Rae’s on Sunday afternoon. When they came back I was told this is what was to happen. No staying after school. Straight home and study there. They didn’t listen to me or Paula. You have made this first term here so wonderful and now they go and do this.”

Andrew held her gently as she shuddered in his arms.

“It does not surprise me given the way Mrs. Rae reacted to me on Saturday. I am still your friend and will see you and support you as much as possible. But there is no point in fighting your parents over this right now. I am sorry that I won’t get to spend time with you. Enjoy your Christmas and I will see you next term.”

Again, sucky but not unexpected. There was nothing to study for that day. Classes were in wind down mode so Andrew went for a walk round the Meadows. He was upset and annoyed but knew he needed to let that feeling go. He needed to thank Mr. Kearns later in the week for two full terms of early morning swimming. Andrew was never going to be any kind of superstar swimmer but Kearns had let Andrew improve his technique and power, especially this term. It wasn’t like they chatted away every morning, often there were very few things said but he had been very helpful and kind and this was a lousy way to thank him.

Andrew also wondered about adult reactions to him. He didn’t know Ms. Lyle at all. He never had been in a PE class with her and she had only started in September when the school admitted female pupils. He also had never phoned, spoken to or met Mrs. Rae. No, their problem was Andrew hanging out with the girls. Collectively with the hockey team and individually with Suzanne and Paula.

Andrew thought about this some more. He moaned about his parents but they basically left him to his own devices. He studied all the time, his grades were great and there was no need to rehash all the stuff with the Open University and the company. That meant that the rest of his life was completely his own to run. At Julian’s, at Leslie’s, either of them at the house, Food Bank, dates on a Saturday night, all he really asked for were lifts everywhere. They occasionally asked Andrew what he was up to but they weren’t controlling. That was it, control. Andrew saw it all the time. Teachers love control, they get off on it. Do as they say or else. Andrew had just seen that with Lyle. Was that why she was so irrational? Suppose that ten of them had been supporting the team? Would she have run them all off? Or was she just a stupid bitch listening to one unpleasant girl on the team?

As for dating, even though Andrew was doing nothing with Suzanne and Paula beyond a hug and a kiss at the end of the night, their parents could feel the control slipping away. With them being only 14 years old in 3rd year they could still lay down the law and expect their daughter to obey that but Andrew had a feeling that attitude was going to end in tears. They were doing nothing to protect their daughters and were storing up problems for the future.

He walked around the park as the night got darker and colder. That term he had been all but ignored by his parents, mainly because of the birth of his little brother Scott, and because of the enabled antics of princess Rowan. They were reactive parents, they had both come to meetings, driven him around, but it was Andrew asking. He had several people that assisted them in the parenting, Leslie, her parents and Nikki, even Tony, all acted as stand-in parents at times. It was odd, he didn’t talk to his parents about stuff. Andrew would talk to Brian Campbell and Leslie before he talked to his mum and dad. Over the walk the anger had bleed off him and he was much calmer, not happier, but calmer. Andrew would go and see Kearns that week and let him know that he was still practicing every morning and that he would assist the swim team if Kearns still wanted him to. Six hours earlier he was ready to walk away from that.

Suzanne and Paula needed his support as well. The relationship was going to change, it had to but that didn’t mean he couldn’t still be their supporter and friend. Andrew decided to get them a small Christmas gift. He went over to Thins, the bookstore, and searched for something appropriate. Finally, he found them. They were just small daily planners, one step up from a diary but it had reminders for study behaviours and things like that. Nothing more than a little stocking stuffer but he wanted them to remember how far they had come over the course of the term. Andrew paused and wondered if it was too impersonal? It is the main university bookstore and he did find a book called the Science of Kissing in the human sexuality section but didn’t think that would go down too well on Christmas day. Plus, who was he kidding, Andrew McLeod taking the Science of Kissing to the counter to pay? Yeah, that was not going to happen.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.