Living Two Lives - Book 2 - Cover

Living Two Lives - Book 2

Copyright© 2022 by Gruinard

Chapter 33

The next day Andrew was on tenterhooks all whole day. He had started to build up his hopes that he would get into the Open University. He kept trying to be calm, but had trouble with focus all day, even though there were three end of term exams the following day. Unhappily English and Latin were his last two exams and as the whole year had their English and foreign language exams both Paula and Suzanne went straight to studying as well when they got to the library. The two hours flew by and other than a couple of things in English they had studied in silence for most of the time.

“I can’t believe how I have kept up with my studying.”

Paula covered a big yawn as they packed up to head home.

“I used to hate studying. I mean I don’t love it but I know that it is necessary and just get on and do it. That is probably the most amazing thing you have done this year. Get me to adopt good study habits.”

Suzanne nodded in agreement.

“My parents have noticed that I work on a Sunday evening and that I am not just doing it with Andrew.”

There was a double entendre lurking in there but they were so tired they all just let it go. Andrew did make a mental note to raise the issue of them paying him so much money. He would try and reduce the amount they paid him to tutor. Andrew calculated they had paid him more than £400 over the term. That was £100 more than the school charged in fees for the term. Andrew figured he needed to keep the money part of the tutoring quiet. After the various meals and things he had spent money on over the term he still had around £350 of that left. Add in the £200 from Mr. Campbell at October break and Andrew had £2,250 in the bank prior to paying his father back for the money for the company.

“Are you home or away this weekend? I forget.”

“Away at Mary Erskine’s again.” Suzanne replied.

“Good. 10 minute walk to Julian’s. See you on Saturday morning.”

When Andrew got home his mum was waiting for him with a big smile.

“You’re in. They called this afternoon and the letter should be here in the morning. Congratulations darling.”

His mum gave him a hug.

“So you think I should accept?”

“You know our requirements. Keep up the good grades and don’t become a hermit, although your father tells me that you have that covered all on your own.”

Here she laughed.

“Try it and see. See how the first three computer courses are like. The maths you will be fine.”

So even his parents didn’t question it in the end. Crazy had become the new normal with Andrew.

He talked at length to Leslie on Thursday night. Inevitable second guessing going on, was he trying to do too much?

“I think that you explained it to your dad pretty well. You worked your tail off for Dad during the summer and now you get to reap the benefits of it. You just need to set up a company first. Computers is the same. You were going to work on your computer and now you are being taught on a course. You are in geek heaven.

“One of the things that has been good is the balance in your life. I know that you feel that you are running around all the time but you are not. There is a routine to your life. Friendships are growing and what was great last weekend is that I got to meet Julian and then Nikki and I met Suzanne and Paula. You are adamant that you are continuing your computer time with Julian. Given that the pair of you sit in silence half the time remember you can be working on an Open University Project if it helps your game. You are continuing to work at the Food Bank, you took your friends there, we talk and see each other every week, and you tell me that you are getting on well with Don and Pete through CCF and class. You are helping at the Food Bank and Suzanne and Paula by tutoring them. You are in control. Money, check. Study, check. Computing course, big check. Balance, check, Karma, check. You have been very quietly going out with Suzanne and Paula for weeks. Stay focused and enjoy it. I have been talking to Dad about strategies for dealing with Strong’s firm and any others. We can talk about them on Sunday.”

They hung up and Andrew sat and relaxed. He listened to three Yes albums in a row as he re-read his Latin vocabulary as a final run through for the following day.

Friday was a drag of a day. The exams were over in the morning and Andrew felt that he did okay. CCF was a blast as it was the last meeting of the year. School finished the following Thursday so there would be no marching up and down for them. Andrew half expected the training staff to make sure they still remembered how to march but instead it was obstacles in the gym. Now if they had been playing football or basketball it would have been comically bad but climbing ropes and hanging from bars on the wall, they were all easy. The platoon burned off some energy and then it was time to go home.

Andrew had given his mum the £120 for the first course and she had accepted the offer of a place on the course and sent off the money that morning. All he had to do was wait. Andrew was excited to tell Julian that night when he dropped his computer gear off at the house. He let his father know that he would be a few minutes.

“I can’t believe you got in. That’s fantastic. Shame it is going to cut into our time programming though.”

Julian was pleased for him Andrew could tell but it was tinged with sadness.

“Think about though. I am going to get a textbook or books teaching me new stuff. I am going to be getting exercises which will be marked and returned. Guess who gets to copy my homework?”

Andrew posed the question to him. Julian’s face slowly lit up.

“I can do the course the same as you, I just don’t hand in the homework. I can learn the stuff you are learning. Wow.”

Julian stared at Andrew.

“You are forking over the money. Are you sure you are okay with me taking this stuff for nothing?”

He seemed worried.

“I don’t care. Look we will talk more tomorrow but I am in this for the long haul. I should tell you some of the business stuff I have done and we can talk about the plans for next year both in January but also the next school year. Okay? Look I have to go before the old man leaves without me. See you tomorrow.”

December 15th was the last hockey match of the term. The team had lost more than they had won. Andrew saw some improvement, rather he saw what he thought was improvement but what the hell did he know about field hockey? He got dropped off early and was standing over on the far side of the pitch as normal. Staying away from the benches. Beside the benches tended to be where any parents gathered and Andrew had no interest in talking either Mr. Jenner or Mr. Rae, especially together! Then he noticed the coach walking across the pitch right towards him. So much for staying out of the way.

“You are Andrew McLeod, is that correct?”.

“Yes I am.”

Where was this going?

“You have been here for every single game home and away. Only one parent can claim the same. You are not related to any of the players, correct?”

Her tone was cool. Andrew’s face was not.

“Yes. The majority of the team are in my year and are my friends. I come to support my friends.”

“Yet you are the only pupil that has ever been here. Why is that?”

She was starting to piss him off.

“That is a question best asked to those not here rather than the person who is.”

“You are here despite you knowing that your presence has made some of the players uncomfortable.”

Wow. Andrew flushed even more as he thought back to the first game and the comments afterwards. He needed to get away from the coach.

“Excuse me.”

Andrew turned and walked away.

“McLeod, I was not finished with you.”

Lyle’s voice had risen. Andrew turned back slowly but maintained the distance and looked at her. Lyle’s face flushed. What was it with Andrew and dickhead teachers. For every Kearns there was a Ford or a Lyle. He continued to stare at her.

“Come her and stop being insolent.”

Andrew’s demeanour was calm but his mind was racing. This could cost him swimming with Kearns if she kicked up a fuss back at the school. He had done nothing wrong and she had engineered this whole confrontation. Could he afford to have another teacher pissed at him? Suddenly Andrew had a crazy thought, he was a university student. He didn’t need to put up with this shit. So he smiled and turned and carried on walking away.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.