Living Two Lives - Book 1 - Cover

Living Two Lives - Book 1

Copyright© 2022 by Gruinard

Chapter 11

After his exercises on the Monday morning Andrew had his new breakfast, lentil soup and Weetabix, though not at the same time! He then went with his dad and was dropped off in front of the Royal Commonwealth Pool, so named because it was built for the Commonwealth Games in 1970. In Edinburgh when people talked about going to the Commonwealth or the Commie this is where they meant. Andrew had taken some money so if there was some kind of pass available he could buy it; as it turned out the three-month pass was perfect. He had taken lessons and had enjoyed swimming until 10 or 11 but for the last couple of years he had barely swam other than when forced to at school. The pool was quiet, it was the perfect time. Any club swimmers or swimmers who worked had already been and gone and anyone who had to drop children off at school was not yet there. Andrew could see this time being a good choice. He dropped into the shallow end and adjusted to the water. Before he could even start one of the two lifeguards came up to him.

“I don’t want to be rude or nosy but you look like you have been dealing with some health issues.”

Very discretely put Andrew thought.

“Yes. I just received the all clear from skin cancer last week. I am studying at home for the rest of the term so that I can rebuild strength and put on some weight. I thought being here three mornings a week, maybe even all five days would help with that. I am a reasonable swimmer and took lessons for several years. I will be taking it easy until I get back into the swing of it.”

The guard nodded.

“Thanks for letting me know. This is good exercise and is easier on the body and especially the joints. You are not the first survivor I have seen here. Just take it easy, don’t try and do too much too soon. Rest after every length. Start with back stroke, get one of those floats and hold it across your chest. It will provide buoyancy. Work on your legs before starting to add your arms. Stick to backstroke this week and then gradually add the other strokes. Stay away from butterfly for at least a couple of months. You will need to build up to it.”

Andrew couldn’t believe how helpful this guy had been. He thanked him for that outline of a training plan and just followed his instructions. The float definitely took the strain off the first couple of lengths as he remembered all the things he needed to do just with his legs. The guard kept a pretty close eye on him but Andrew took it easy and managed eight or ten lengths over the course of an hour. He thought this would be a good number to stay at this week and then build from that going forward. He left the pool at ten past nine, thanked the guard and then had a quick shower, making sure to thoroughly wash his lower back and get all the chlorine off his body.

Leslie was waiting when he got outside.

“Hi, how are you doing this morning?”

“I’m coming to terms with it but it is still raw. Whenever we meet can we just take it as given that I am struggling to deal with this and not ask please? Not your fault but the answer is going to be the same for months, if not years.”

Andrew nodded in agreement and started talking about the swim and how helpful the guard had been.

“That was really cool that he went out of his way to help you. As he said you were not the first cancer survivor he has dealt with. Did what he say make sense? How tired do you feel right now?”

“Well I can feel an ache in my thighs and my ankles which is to be expected I suppose. But his advice about taking a breather after every length definitely meant that I was able to do more than I had originally anticipated. I will see how I feel tonight and again tomorrow morning. I have no upper body strength so even although I didn’t use my arms and shoulders they may be sore. We’ll see.”

Talking about swimming had distracted him but as they pulled into the parking lot for the hospital Andrew’s nerves returned. How would he and Faith react to each other? Would she take one look at him, burst into tears and send him away? Would he be too stiff and formal with her? Try too hard not to say the wrong thing? So many worries. When they walked into the ward all his fears were realised. Faith seemed to have shrunk in the three days since Andrew had last seen her. Already small and pale, now she looked dwarfed by the hospital bed. When she saw him she grimaced as a wave of pain hit her but she steeled herself and she tried to smile. Her voice was warm but quiet as Andrew sat down beside her. Leslie was further down the bed on the same side as him.

“Thank you for coming here today Andrew. I have a lot I want to say to you. I know that seeing you would be tough for Mum and Dad but I told them that they could deal with it or they could leave while you were here.”

The same underlying strength and feistiness was still there.

“I don’t want to upset your mum and dad but I am glad that you wanted to see me and happy to be here with you.”

Andrew managed to get through his first couple of sentences without screwing up or bursting into tears. Faith held his hand but didn’t say anything, he could see her struggling with the pain. The change in a week, the deterioration was marked. Her voice had dropped to a whisper.

“I have a lot I want to try and tell you Andrew. I want to thank you for everything you have done for me over the last two months, especially Friday. My time is nearly over, the Fates have spun the thread and Atropos is waiting. The days where we talked about our destiny or our Fate have really helped me. I am at peace and I know I do not have long. I can barely survive for an hour without morphine and I know by the end of the week I will no longer be conscious. It is killing me fast at the end.”

Leslie and Andrew were openly crying by now. Faith did not chastise them for it but just carried on.

“I need to say thank you for many things. For making me laugh. For teaching me new things right up until last week. You really are a smarty pants you know. Most of all for making the last two months bearable. For being a distraction. For being a friend.”

He gently squeezed her hand unable to speak as he tried to dry all the tears.

“I have two wishes, promises, well they are more like demands really. And they are for both of you.”

Leslie and Andrew looked at each other briefly and turned back to Faith.

“Please promise that you will stay friends after I am gone. Don’t let my passing come between you. You both need each other, in the coming year more than any other. Keep my memory alive but through deed not thought. And that is my second request, Andrew, my genius friend. Live your life to the fullest, you were given these gifts so don’t squander them. Achieve your goals as they are now no longer one person’s goals. Please honour me with them. You have to live both our lives as I have no more life to live. You have so much life so share some of it in my memory. Leslie, he can’t do it alone. He will need help and guidance and counsel. Adopt him as your little brother. Help him grow and become the man we both know he can be.”

Her last speech had a desperate tone to it and she looked beseechingly at them. Andrew could only nod and turned to Leslie who nodded as well.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.