College Starts (#6) - Cover

College Starts (#6)

Copyright© 2022 by D. Fritz

Chapter 4: A Second First Date

Thomas knew from his last day of high school that he would major in Computer Science when he started college in the fall. His knowledge of math that he needed to earn a CPA degree the first time around gave him the logical thinking needed to excel in the required Calculus and Intro to Programming courses he was taking his first semester. With no previous experience in coding, he expected more of a challenge with the programming course, but he found that if he concentrated in class, the homework and exams were almost trivial.

The first month of school was a blur. Matt did not have a previous lifetime of experience to help him with the transition of living away from home and being on his own. His high school academics were passable, good enough to get into Graskin, but they were not nearly to the high standards expected by the university professors.

“Fuck!” Matt muttered as he pounded the pages of his calculus book. “Have you finished this homework?” he asked Thomas.

Matt was unsure of his major, but when Thomas told him his plans to major in CS and why, he figured it was as good a career as any. He found the courses much more difficult than Thomas.

“Yeah, and before you ask, no, you cannot copy my work. But I can help. What’s wrong?”

Matt spun his book around and showed Thomas. “Number three. They want the integral, but it’s a fucking fraction. How can I add one to fractional coefficient to get the integral?”

Thomas successfully held back his eye roll and slowly walked Matt through the process of adding one to the fraction one-third.

“So after you create a common denominator and add three-thirds with one-third, you get four-thirds,” he concluded.

“Fucking voodoo shit,” Matt said as he erased a section of paper and rewrote the solution as Thomas described.

Thomas knew Matt was not cut out for a degree in computer science. He tried to gently steer his friend into another discipline, but it was taking time. He was glad Matt was in college this time around. Before, he went from high school directly into the Army two weeks after graduation. The current concern was that Matt would sabotage his undergrad record by trying to stick to a degree that he hated and where he struggled mightily.

There was a knock on the door.

“Come in,” called Thomas.

Denise and Cindi entered the room and plopped down on Matt’s open bed.

“Hey, guys, you about done with homework? The fish dinner we had in the cafeteria tonight was disgusting and we want to go get something to eat.”

“I’m in,” said Matt as he slammed his book closed. “That can wait until later.”

“Sure,” said Thomas. He assumed he would be helping Matt with his homework late into the night, but a few hours with Denise and Cindi seemed to make it worthwhile.

Matt found his tennis shoes under his bed and sat back down at his desk chair. As he laced them he asked, “Where did you want to go?”

“Pizza, Mario’s,” said Cindi.

“Of course, I should have guessed,” said Matt as he led the group out of the room and to the elevators.

When they arrived at Mario’s there was a huge crowd.

“Guess we’re not the only ones that didn’t like the dorm food tonight,” joked Thomas as they got in line.

The foursome were lucky and they found a booth in the back. Cindi and Denise slid into opposite benches. Matt didn’t hesitate as he slid in next to Cindi.

“How are you two doing? Haven’t seen you around too much,” asked Matt.

“I’m doing good. Lots of homework, but I’m keeping up,” said Denise.

Cindi rolled her eyes. “Teacher’s pet. I’m getting my ass kicked in Chem 101. It’s a weed-out course. It’s butt-hard, but what makes it worse is the professor. I can’t understand half of what he says. The TA is a joke. Everyone that didn’t have AP Chem in high school has to learn all the material from the book alone. Luckily, the class is graded on a curve.”

“Hell, yeah, I can relate,” said Matt as he took a big bite of his pizza. “Our calculus class is a bitch. Well, for all but one in the class. This brainiac,” with a menacing look at Thomas, “is acing it, and in doing so, fucking up the curve for the rest of us.”

After they ate they took a detour back to their dorm and walked through the quad. Even though it was well after normal class hours, it was full of students. One large group was being led in folk songs by a long-haired guy playing a guitar.

As they left the quad and headed the last several blocks to the dorm Matt and Cindi were several paces ahead. They were still consoling each other with how bad their lives were due to chemistry and calculus. Denise took Thomas’s hand and walked a bit closer to him. They strolled hand-in-hand the last several blocks.

When they got to the dorm, Matt and Cindi veered to the right to go in the main entrance and take the elevator. Thomas and Denise went to the left to take the stairs. At the fourth floor they paused.

“This was nice. Thanks for coming,” said Denise.

“Of course.” Thomas paused, actually a bit nervous, before he said, “If you’re free, can I take you out on Friday night?”

Denise squeaked and clapped her hands in front of her chest. She smiled broadly and her eyes lit up.

“Yes! Yes, yes, yes.” She grabbed Thomas in a hug and squeezed him tightly. She then gave him a quick kiss on the lips.

Thomas smiled in relief. “Great! I better get back to my room. My guess is I’ll have to help Matt with the homework he skipped when you arrived. I’ll see you Friday night.”

She nodded and smiled again, then twirled toward the door with a wave and extra bounce in her step.

“Friday!”


Thomas played it cool all week when around Matt, but inside he was starting to get nervous about his date with Denise. He waffled on what to do for the date. Should he play it really casual, or should he go over the top? In the end, he decided on the latter option.

Thomas told Denise to dress as if they were going to a baseball game. Her reaction was subdued disappointed until he convinced her that a ballgame was not their destination, but what he wanted her to wear. She was still not impressed and was skeptical when she entered the lobby of the dorm Friday evening.

Thomas had pulled his Corvette under the awning of the dorm’s main door. He found her in the lobby and escorted her to the car.

“What’s on the agenda for tonight?” Denise asked in a wary tone of voice as she belted her seat belt.

“You’ll see,” he said with a mischievous wink.

They talked amiably as he drove. She suddenly had a look of confusion on her face when she realized he just pulled into the driveway of his mother’s house.

“Thomas? What’s up? Why are we at your mom’s house?”

“Follow me,” he said as he jumped out of the car. He opened her door and walked her to the back door. His mom was standing inside the kitchen, waiting.

When Denise walked in, Sandy’s smile was enormous. “Hi! It’s been a while and I am so excited for you.”

Denise looked back to Thomas with a very confused look.

“Just go with her and you’ll understand. I’ll be upstairs. Holler up when you’re ready and we’ll be off.”

Thomas was grinning as wide as his mother. He stepped to Denise and took her arm as he gave her a kiss on the cheek.

“Go, it’ll be fine,” he motioned for her to follow his mom into the living room.

Thomas ascended the stairs and found what he had brought over the day before hanging neatly over his bedroom door. He smiled and was eager to hear from Denise.

He got ready and then sat on his bed. He pulled a book off a shelf and tried to read but he was too nervous. It took almost forty-five minutes before he heard Denise calling from the kitchen.

When Thomas entered the kitchen and got the first look at his date she took his breath away.

“Oh, my,” he said at a loss for words.

Denise spun slowly in a circle.

“Oh, my,” he repeated. “You are absolutely beautiful.”

Denise was wearing a formal evening gown. It was red and backless, showing skin all the way to her waist. The skirt gently flowed to mid-calf. A slit in the material showed off her leg as she spun in place. On her feet were high heels that matched the color of the dress. Her hair cascaded to below her shoulders and she was wearing just enough make-up to accent her beautiful face. Her lipstick also matched the red of her dress.

Denise blushed at the intense scrutiny. In response she said, “You’re not so bad yourself,” as she eyed Thomas.

He spun in a quick circle. He was wearing a tuxedo with tails. They flared outward as he twirled in place.

Sandy slipped into the kitchen.

“You two look fantastic! I need a picture before you get away.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.