Phantom Child - Cover

Phantom Child

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 20

Eight Months Later.

The hospital room was jam packed with the Gladstone family. Debbie was so tired, but she knew until they made sure she was alright for themselves, she’d not have peace. “I’m fine, really. Just tired.”

Hal stood in front of them all and looked between her and Heath. “So, are one of you going to tell us?”

Heath looked down at her and smiled. She nodded her head, and he looked at his dad. “Be patient, Dad. The nurse is bringing the baby.”

“Good, we want to see the child, but tell us what you had.”

The nurse brought in the Plexiglas crib and handed the baby to Heath. “Say hello to your grandson, Dad.”

The patriarch of the family beamed. “A boy! Well, that makes it easy, doesn’t it? We know what his name is already. Harold Jefferson Gladstone the seventh.”

Heath shook his head. “No, actually, that isn’t his name. Debbie and I decided things were changing. Glenna’s Mayor now, and it’s time to change some other traditions. Meet Jefferson Harold Gladstone; we’re calling him Jeff.”

His father protested, but Sue Gladstone hushed him. “Enough Hal. The kids are right. It’s time to do away with the naming tradition. Jefferson is a good, strong name.” She stepped forward. “Now give me my grandson. He needs his grandma’s loving.”

Everyone laughed as Heath handed her their child. The family made over the baby until, finally, Heath forced them all to leave so Debbie could rest. He placed the baby in Debbie’s arms and she snuggled the baby up to her breast, where he latched on quickly and started nursing. Heath looked down and Debbie could see the love in his eyes. “Are you happy, Heath?”

He leaned down and kissed her. “I’m ecstatic, Debbie honey. Our son is perfect.”

“You’re not upset that he isn’t biologically yours?”

He shook his head and stroked the baby’s head. “That doesn’t matter a bit, Debbie. My name’s on the birth certificate. He’s our son. Mine in every way that matters, just like his mother.”

She sighed. When the baby was done and Heath sat in the rocker beside her bed.He was holding the baby and rocking. Both Jeff and Heath slipped into slumber as she watched them. Seeing them snuggled together, the feeling of the truth of Heath’s words settled in her soul. A movement on the other side of the bed caught her attention, and she looked up to see the Phantom Rider standing quietly, watching the man and child sleep. “He’s right, ya know. That baby boy’s a Gladstone in every way that counts. Be happy, little lady. He’s gonna grow into a fine man. Jest like his daddy.”

She smiled. “I never got to thank you for your part in saving us.”

The old ghost waved her thanks away. “Tain’t necessary. I was jest doing my job. You won’t be seeing me again, but know I’m around. I’ll be jest a cry away iffen you, any of the family, or the town folks needs me.” Then he was gone. Back to wherever he and Thor went when they weren’t needed.

Debbie watched Heath and the baby sleep for a while until her own fatigue caught up with her. Her eyes closed, and she sighed as she slipped into a deep sleep. She dreamed of herself and Heath as old people with white hair. Surrounded by children and grandchildren. She heard Grandpa Harold’s voice in her dream. “Look how blessed you two are gonna be.”

She smiled in her sleep and thought she’d found true love and happiness, all thanks to her Phantom Child.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.